Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Mehapoy wrote: »
    TJ deserves criticism for Sunday, the players deserve it too, hopefully the whole management team and panel are having a good look at themselves now but there won't be any changes to management until end of the year and If the rest of the year goes the same way I doubt the cb will stand behind him...but going over the same ground will not change anything...
    That fair enough

But then what do you when the same thing happens the next big game
    Just say nothing at all

You must realise Ryan has a three year term and I don't think the board can do much

danganabu wrote: »
    Its the inconsistency in your posting that I take issue with. You have most definitely a personal vendetta against TJ Ryan, that is plain for all to see, but yet you refuse to criticise you're own beloved JBM or Clare's Davy Fitz?

Take Davy for example he is manager of Clare who were beaten by, shock horror the TJ Ryan managed Limerick but I dont recall any negative comments re Davy or indeed any praise for TJ.

It seems that your analysis is when they lose its all TJ's fault but when they win they simply got lucky, you can't have it both ways.
    As regards clare I praised the team He picked for clare and I'll repost it if you don't believe me
    However I said they had to effect the game plan and that I said after it was poor in they struggled beat a Clare team missing three key lads down a man at a crucial time

I had said clare would loose over the injury but I expected to see a good limerick performance but I didn't see it all through the game but just in periods of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Pretty straight forward predictions for this weeks club hurling games from the Limerick Leader. Ahane have been a banana skin for the Well in the past but hard to see them win this game with the form Patrickswell are in.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-shc-round-three-previews-1-6817385

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I genuinely fear for Adare tonight, not going to be the best four days I've ever had as a fan of Adare and Limerick hurling :(

Huge game needed from John Fitzgibbon, if he plays to his best he will supply plenty of good ball to Griffin and Hannon, keep Fitzgibbon quiet and invariably you'll keep Adare quiet, he's the man that makes them tick. But everyone else is wise to that now, luckily keeping him quiet is easier said than done.

Adare's full back line will need serious protection because if they are let go toe to toe with Na Piarsaigh's full forward line the Caherdavin men will raise at least 5 white flags. Wouldn't surprise me to see Wayne moved to full back at some stage to shore things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Adare's full back line will need serious protection because if they are let go toe to toe with Na Piarsaigh's full forward line the Caherdavin men will raise at least 5 white flags. Wouldn't surprise me to see Wayne moved to full back at some stage to shore things up.

Jaysus if ye keep them to 5 points ye'll surely have a great chance :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

danganabu wrote: »
    Jaysus if ye keep them to 5 points ye'll surely have a great chance :p
    Whoops! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Shock on the cards

https://twitter.com/limerickclg/status/614147777292038144

Hope you can get a report up Hanalei

Draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Draw!

How did our man Kevin Downes go against Adare? Saw Limerick minor mickey Mackey got two goals but went off injured? Hope it's not serious, the minors will need a full deck to make an impression against cork in the semi next week. Judging by tipps two outings so far they are not exceptional so the winner might well come from that semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Adrian Breen should get a chance against Westmeath, just has a knack for getting goals, even in the WC/NHL without being on the ball much he is able to raise green flags. Hasn't really got a chance since midway through the league.

Adrian Breen should get a chance against Westmeath, just has a knack for getting goals, even in the WC/NHL without being on the ball much he is able to raise green flags. Hasn't really got a chance since midway through the league.
    Two goals again last night absolutely has get a run but won't as he's not rated by Ryan and better than David breen bother ahead of him
    Tj has certain types of player and he will not change

Breen was highly rated when he played with ucc
    Lynch and Byrness apparently called up for training for the senior team

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

How did our man Kevin Downes go against Adare? Saw Limerick minor mickey Mackey got two goals but went off injured? Hope it's not serious, the minors will need a full deck to make an impression against cork in the semi next week. Judging by tipps two outings so far they are not exceptional so the winner might well come from that semi.[/QUOT

Mackey been unlucky with injuries this year - a loss if he's out for Next week as he was prominent for ASRin Harty this year- scored 2-1 before he came off so capable of doing damage

of course Cork have already lost Shane Kingston

Quirke went off injured for Tipp as well last night - knee again
    A dual minor so a big loss to both teams if out - captain of hurlers but equally good in both codes and a big physical presence

A lot of these kids susceptible to injury given the long seasons they play and the pressure to play on so many teams

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Two goals again last night absolutely has get a run but won't as he's not rated by Ryan and better than David breen bother ahead of him
    Tj has certain types of player and he will not change

Breen was highly rated when he played with ucc
    Lynch and Byrness apparently called up for training for the senior team

La Touché Cosgrove as well

N20 wrote: »
    La Touché Cosgrove as well

Good news is te three of those are in. In fairness, TJ said earlier in the year that two of the recent minors were brought in and four more couldn't because they were doing the leaving, so likely others always intended to bring them in.

Griffin must be worth bringing in surely.

Good news is te three of those are in. In fairness, TJ said earlier in the year that two of the recent minors were brought in and four more couldn't because they were doing the leaving, so likely others always intended to bring them in.

Bringing them in is good all credit due but development of a coherent effective game plan with modern tactics to get the best out of them is an entirely different kettle of fish altogether and it's unfair to ask or expect these lads change limerick season now

And these players have potential but can this coaching set up cultivated this at senior as not all management can

That's the key

He's s goal getter alright, which is exactly what the forwards need, don't know if TJ trusts him to step up to a higher level, might come down to a choice between himself and downes against Westmeath

He's s goal getter alright, which is exactly what the forwards need, don't know if TJ trusts him to step up to a higher level, might come down to a choice between himself and downes against Westmeath

His scoring rate at club level is good but he usually is just not involved enough to justify a starting place on a county team. Workrate from our forwards is something we've all touched on as a problem, and I dont think Breen will improve this. His shot at a position for Limerick is at corner forward and I don't see him jumping Mulcahy, Lynch, or Tobin any time soon. He would be a good sub to bring on towards the end of the game alright.

He is a strong player though and is improving all the time. May hit his peak a little older than other guys and wouldn't be surprised to see him hit a rich vein of form and force his way in in the coming seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

His scoring rate at club level is good but he usually is just not involved enough to justify a starting place on a county team. Workrate from our forwards is something we've all touched on as a problem, and I dont think Breen will improve this. His shot at a position for Limerick is at corner forward and I don't see him jumping Mulcahy, Lynch, or Tobin any time soon. He would be a good sub to bring on towards the end of the game alright.

He is a strong player though and is improving all the time. May hit his peak a little older than other guys and wouldn't be surprised to see him hit a rich vein of form and force his way in in the coming seasons.

Very true re forwards and workrate, an inter-county team simply can no longer afford to carry a 'poacher' like forward who doesn't graft, and at the absolute most can carry maybe one if he is exceptional. Tipperary have learned this the very hard way and very slowly but seem to be finally coming to that realisation.

It really depends on the environment he's in to get he's workrate up
    I seen him plenty times with ucc and he's work rate was outstanding
    Breen other brother does work hard but again and as proved Sunday and v kk he's poor to create and poor to score in really really big big games

Yes he'll probably bang two three v westmeath but won't do against the elite teams at intercounty

Breen can never improve he's confidence to work hard if he never gets a run of games
    He's better than tobin by a mile who just isn't good enough for senior

• Advertisement

Completely wrong there, he isn't as good as Tobin. Yet at least.

I don't mean to be critical of Breen, he's a quality player who is consistently improving and may yet be an inter county starter. But he's currently behind Tobin, Mulcahy and Lynch. Neither is his form for club so incredible that it demands his inclusion, minor Mick Mackey also scored two goals last night. I wouldn't start him for Limerick either. Griffin consistently scores far more. There are other forwards around the county whose scoring rate is as good or better in weaker teams.

To suggest he should be plucked out and given a run of games at senior intercounty level is ridiculous.

This is just another example of a viewpoint TTM takes and repeats ad nauseum until it becomes true, for him at least.

What be you views of the expectations for the rest of the year

What do you think has went wrong this year in the league and championship as you last year after kk loss felt limerick were genuine all Ireland contenders and you were confident for the league and indeed the tipp game

Surely something must have happened when the league was a disaster and the championship defeat the worst in forty years at home to tippeary
    If limerick were as good as they were meant to be last year how have they fallen so badly outside contenders now?

What changes would you like to see implementaed going forward now for this team

I don't mean to be critical of Breen, he's a quality player who is consistently improving and may yet be an inter county starter. But he's currently behind Tobin, Mulcahy and Lynch. Neither is his form for club so incredible that it demands his inclusion, minor Mick Mackey also scored two goals last night. I wouldn't start him for Limerick either. Griffin consistently scores far more. There are other forwards around the county whose scoring rate is as good or better in weaker teams.

To suggest he should be plucked out and given a run of games at senior intercounty level is ridiculous.

This is just another example of a viewpoint TTM takes and repeats ad nauseum until it becomes true, for him at least.

Looks I have seen him numerous times for ucc that my opinion

Sorry now but if you want to get to value assessment of value of posts you have to be fair as many can see here been wrong from day one with this management and indeed John Allen
    Yet you confronted my posts with the same manner you do now and look you were proved wrong absolutely totally wrong now let's be honest

I told you numerous times Allen having seen lot him training teams on Cork need tactical man with him and limerick would fail despite you calling my views ridiculous and you have a well known habit ignoring or else confronting posts just cause you don't like what you hear despite glaring staring you in the face the reality

I was right v Allen and indeed have been absolutely spot on regards limerick and Ryan this year and last year
    I said they would beat clare but loose to tipp
    I said Ryan should stay now but needs a tactical coach

You bluntly went on their offence just cause poster critsed Hannon on performance last week and your reply was see v tipp
    Yet you even admitted while he started well you then said after the match he wasn't great but you didn't want to know before the game
    You don't like a view you get excited despite justified logical to suggest other wise
    A bit of advice let emotions out of judgement in sport

I wasn't the poster that brought up breen another very good poster did to be fair
    And I agreed
    Unfortunately your posts when you look at the record let's be fair have hardly to be proven to be accurate now so yes I respect your right to opinion But tobin has done nothing to suggest he's better than breen and when top coaches ucc rated him I tend to take their view over yours

You have a feature lauding Cian lynch over and over and over again
    I don't accuse you with respect of nauseum
    Once it is what you hear you don't seem to have a problem but if not you don't want to hear
    You harp and harp and harp on in your words ad nauseum regards o mahony centre forward
    Are you actually serious and forget about the waterford crystal cup final what did he do for kilmsllock against fennelly
    Fennelly dominated him and he didn't even score i think yet you fail to acknowledge this as you only see what you want to see
    Rewatch the match I suggest

For the record I agree totally with you on lynch and he's outstanding
    You did all credit due get that call right

Limerick Cork minors Thursday night
    Cork intermediate v limerick next Wednesday week munster final
    Minor will be close and I am huge fan of Mackey and hope he starts as no one likes see lads injured

Kingston is a huge loss but Cork lads are going well for senior clubs etc
    Huge game and it will be close as limerick have home advantage and it's hard to beat the same team twice

I expect numerous change from both teams from the ist game
    Yet should win the intermediate as Cork have no one to mark morrisey and limerick seem better balanced and Cork have a new team from last year and not just myself but the cork manager would be questioned tactically by some in cork however he has good selection with him but no body expects cork to win as they won last year but have a new team
    A competitive performance is what Cork expect with lot young lads tried out
    Glorious chance for Limerick here

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

At the same time, Tobin and Mulcahy have been around for a number of years now, Mulcahy is almost a certainty to start if he is uninjured, Tobin can be hit and miss, but if available is usually first sub. I think it's no harm, especially given a game against Westmeath which we would be expected to win, to give guys like Breen a chance, especially a forward who has only really gotten a go in spring which conditions are poor. It keeps the panel fresh, keeps guys on their toes - we're far too settled as a team, there are players there who have started and played the same position for years - not to knock those individuals, I just think things can go stale in this sense.

I know TJ has said there will be changes, but given how little we experimented in the league, I'm not getting my hopes up. I said it at the time, it was absolutely criminal how we used the league this year.

At the same time, Tobin and Mulcahy have been around for a number of years now, Mulcahy is almost a certainty to start if he is uninjured, Tobin can be hit and miss, but if available is usually first sub. I think it's no harm, especially given a game against Westmeath which we would be expected to win, to give guys like Breen a chance, especially a forward who has only really gotten a go in spring which conditions are poor. It keeps the panel fresh, keeps guys on their toes - we're far too settled as a team, there are players there who have started and played the same position for years - not to knock those individuals, I just think things can go stale in this sense.

I know TJ has said there will be changes, but given who little we experimented in the league, I'm not getting my hopes up. I said it at the time, it was absolutely criminal how we used the league this year.

Bang on the money absolutely brilliant post and when some one else says it it won't be disregard
    I often think some here have issue with not point that made but who makes it when it should not be
    A lot of what you say has justified logical and tobin had chances so it's only fair other get them
    The league as you said shows the reluctant acceptance to embrace change and as you said there is no energy in limerick this year
    Management talked of change for the next day but it is a bit late in the day now

It really depends on the environment he's in to get he's workrate up
    I seen him plenty times with ucc and he's work rate was outstanding
    Breen other brother does work hard but again and as proved Sunday and v kk he's poor to create and poor to score in really really big big games

Yes he'll probably bang two three v westmeath but won't do against the elite teams at intercounty

Breen can never improve he's confidence to work hard if he never gets a run of games
    He's better than tobin by a mile who just isn't good enough for senior
    There is no way he is better than Tobin, he carries Murroe, and was notching up more scores than breen in the league after he came back from injury, just because he played for ucc doesn't make him good enough for senior inter county you know...I'd give him a chance against Westmeath as he offers something different to the others ie. A goal scoring threat but he's not as good an all rounder as Tobin...

There is no way he is better than Tobin, he carries Murroe, and was notching up more scores than breen in the league after he came back from injury, just because he played for ucc doesn't make him good enough for senior inter county you know...

Well I'd beg to differ you know..
    That ucc team could picked anyone as unlike clubs have huge pick intercounty talent and they picked him and Peter cody the Enright cunningjham this world rated him hugely so I would disagree on this point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Limerick have to best set of players in the country but none of them are playing senior inter-county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I've watched both play for club and county many times and at the moment, Tobin is definitely still better than Breen. Breen is a goal scorer but as mentioned, his work rate is very poor. Tobin may not do it against the big teams but for club and at times for county he is deadly. Once he gets an early score, his determination to get on every ball and track back kicks in and he gets a few points on the board. Anytime i've seen Breen i've not been overly impressed. I've been at games where he has scored a goal or 2 and other than the goals, he was very very average. In club hurling this year already there's a load of players outperforming him in and around his position.

Thomas and Kevin O'Brien, Griffin, Fitzgibbon (more of a midfielder but can play in the forwards), Tobin, Morrisey and so on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement