Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Great to read fresh faces have been brought in. Not expecting any of them to make a massive impact this far into the season but it will add a bit of life to the squad...if not for leaving cert a number of these lads would have been there already, let's hope it pushes us on. We should be beating west Meath with a second string so he has to give one or two a run with tougher tests to come and we will need sub's ready to come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

you have a well known habit ignoring or else confronting posts just cause you don't like what you hear

Well if the pot didnt call the kettle black!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

danganabu wrote: »
    Well if the pot didnt call the kettle black!!

Look your new and I don't have a problem with your posts but you obviously want join few others here your choice but I'm here to post gaa simple as
    I go in to detail with my posts and usually back them up
    If annoy others not much I can about that
    And to be fair I never ignored a post when it's counter debated

I think it's no harm, especially given a game against Westmeath which we would be expected to win, to give guys like Breen a chance, especially a forward who has only really gotten a go in spring which conditions are poor.

The problem with this though is that the second round of the qqualifiers is a huge huge step up and a lad might very well shine against Westmeath but be all at sea against say Cork. Playing him against Westmeath makes you none the wiser if he is up to the mark.

The problem with this though is that the second round of the qqualifiers is a huge huge step up and a lad might very well shine against Westmeath but be all at sea against say Cork. Playing him against Westmeath makes you none the wiser if he is up to the mark.

You would be correct in that and the real test is Cork or possibly Dublin
    Having said that ultimate test is Kilkenny or tippeary

Limerick due to no stand out opponents could get to an all Ireland semi final but it won't mean they have improved
    Waterford system would actually cause limerick huge problem in limerick won't play a sweeper
    On paper should beat Galway if they meet but Galway always do well v limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

And my worry about this is Seanie Tobin. Will score all around him against these teams. Against better opposstion not so much to say the least. If he is picked it tells me enough about how far we will go this year.

pajoguy wrote: »
    And my worry about this is Seanie Tobin. Will score all around him against these teams. Against better opposstion not so much to say the least. If he is picked it tells me enough about how far we will go this year.

I'd agree tobin has had plenty of chances and won't do in the big big games

Look your new and I don't have a problem with your posts but you obviously want join few others here your choice but I'm here to post gaa simple as
    I go in to detail with my posts and usually back them up
    If annoy others not much I can about that

I genuinely have no idea what you are even trying to say here :confused:

I know we have different dialects in the Irish language but I had no idea there was a different form of english in Cork, I have to tell you I don't think its going to catch on.

And I may be new to posting here but I have been reading your koran like ramblings for a long time and I have to say while you are obviously very passionate about our games you are without question the most stubborn man I have ever seen and this charade of adding ''I respect your opinion but..'' at the start of every post and then basically been extremely distrespectful, even in the presentation of your posts, is more than annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Very true, but at the same time are Limerick going to learn anything from the Westmeath game by playing Graeme Mulcahy at corner-forward for the umpteenth time (barring a specific gameplan involving a role for him)?

Limerick due to no stand out opponents could get to an all Ireland semi final

Another well known TTM tactic, now if Limerick reach the semi, we will get the old guff, ''I said reach semi and i right TJ bad'' ( sorry I am only learning the language haven't fully grasped it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I'd agree tobin has had plenty of chances and won't do in the big big games

I just dont think we have the players to win an all ireland. Our senior championship is a poor standard and even so very few inter county players stand out. Thats a worry for me.
    A lot of work done at underage but it takes years for that to come through.
    I feel sorry for dodge. Soldiered through some bad years and only got our act together when his legs are gone.
    Man is a legend in my eyes. Celtic cross or not.

Very true, but at the same time are Limerick going to learn anything from the Westmeath game by playing Graeme Mulcahy at corner-forward for the umpteenth time (barring a specific gameplan involving a role for him)?

Agreed but Mulcahy is already proven against better opposition, Limericks problems are not in the FF line though so its a bit of a moot point.

Agreed but Mulcahy is already proven against better opposition, Limericks problems are not in the FF line though so its a bit of a moot point.

The lack of goals scored would suggest otherwise. In fairness, some of that is down to the ball played in, but some of it is down to the movement of that forward line, some of it is down to how much those forwards will close down the backs coming out, some of it is down to players played out of position. Personally I don't think you can look at any line now and say "I'm happy with that." There is always scope for learning more, and the improvement that goes with it.

It will be very interesting to see what changes are made, if any.

The lack of goals scored would suggest otherwise. In fairness, some of that is down to the ball played in, but some of it is down to the movement of that forward line, some of it is down to how much those forwards will close down the backs coming out, some of it is down to players played out of position. Personally I don't think you can look at any line now and say "I'm happy with that." There is always scope for learning more, and the improvement that goes with it.

It will be very interesting to see what changes are made, if any.

Full back line and half forward line are far more problematic though and with a functioning half forward line that full forward line will do damage.

Quaid returning will help, but McCarthy looks completely out of shape and Hickey is all at sea in the corner. The half foward line simply lacks class, Hannon has hte ability but seems to lack the drive and if you bring Dowling out it removes the threat inside, I don't know maybe swith Hannon and Dowling or give Downes a go, but that same 6 in those positions that lined out V Tipp wont cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

You would be correct in that and the real test is Cork or possibly Dublin
    Having said that ultimate test is Kilkenny or tippeary

Limerick due to no stand out opponents could get to an all Ireland semi final but it won't mean they have improved
    Waterford system would actually cause limerick huge problem in limerick won't play a sweeper
    On paper should beat Galway if they meet but Galway always do well v limerick
    Depending on how Munster final goes I'd give us a chance against Waterford, against Galway not so much, we've struggled against them at all levels(2014 minor exception) since 1980s...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Depending on how Munster final goes I'd give us a chance against Waterford, against Galway not so much, we've struggled against them at all levels(2014 minor exception) since 1980s...

You would always have a chance against Galway, everybody does becasue they are consistently inconsistent!

Plus if that was the way it panned out Limerick would be coming in on teh back of two sucessive wins and Galway would be coming off the back of loosing a Leinster Final.

Full back line and half forward line are far more problematic though and with a functioning half forward line that full forward line will do damage.

Quaid returning will help, but McCarthy looks completely out of shape and Hickey is all at sea in the corner. The half foward line simply lacks class, Hannon has hte ability but seems to lack the drive and if you bring Dowling out it removes the threat inside, I don't know maybe swith Hannon and Dowling or give Downes a go, but that same 6 in those positions that lined out V Tipp wont cut it.

Look, Hannon at 11 is nonsensical in the extreme. You want someone to drive at the centre of the opposition, how many times do we hear the line "X are vulnerable if you run at them". You need someone with the pace and/or power to take on the centre-back, Hannon for me has neither of those attributes and is utterly lost in the role he is playing at the moment, get him out to the wing where there is a bit more space and where he has to get involved because puck-outs are coming down on him. Downes or Paul Browne would be my first choices for centre-forward, Browne might raise eyebrows but has pace, has an instinct to put himself about when he doesn't have the ball, and put his head down when he does, and has more hurling than James Ryan who has played there in the past. David Breen is another option, one of the few we have who will run at a defence but he rarely uses the ball well when he runs with it.

Every team in the country knows at this stage to target Richie McCarthy's lack of pace, and the situation is only exacerbated by having Stephen Walsh (who to be fair has done pretty well this year, but is not the paciest) beside him. It is a massive shame for Richie, because hurling-wise and brain-wise, he has it all for full-back, but fitness-wise he is not at the races.

Every team in the country knows at this stage to target Richie McCarthy's lack of pace, and the situation is only exacerbated by having Stephen Walsh (who to be fair has done pretty well this year, but is not the paciest) beside him. It is a massive shame for Richie, because hurling-wise and brain-wise, he has it all for full-back, but fitness-wise he is not at the races.

It's also pretty obvious that management don't fully trust Walsh either, I mean how could they stay looking at what Bubbles was doing to Hickey and not at least switch the corner backs, I mean he couldnt exactly go any worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Good step with additions today, was always a danger things would go a little stale with basically the same team since 2011/12. Dowling made his breakthrough 2012, Lynch this year, other than that very little has actually changed in recent years. Waterford reaping the benefits of introducing the pick of their 2013/2014 minor teams to their panel, our minor teams were at the same level as them over those two years, we beat them both years in the Munster final but they won their A.I. final while we lost ours. Despite those teams being of similar standard Waterford have so far done better with their crop of young talent in terms of integrating them into senior set up.

Never good to put lads in for the sake of it but the likes of Ronan Lynch, La Touche Cosgrave, Nash and Finn would have made useful additions to the panel this year, particularly during Waterford Crystal Cup and League campaigns that were badly hit by injuries. We held back on adding players until after their Leaving Cert, Waterford weren't as cautious in this regard. I'm all for looking out for the youngsters like this but the decision should be left up to the player. It's a good step to add players now but how much of an impact can they have at this late stage of the year?

Need to manage the players better next weekend. We need to have 15 100% match fit players taking to the field against Westmeath, even without a few regular first teamers we're not going to lose to Westmeath unless something is seriously wrong in the camp. Doesn't really matter what we do tactically now, too late in the year to properly implement change in that regard at this stage. We just need to hope certain players find their form at long last, a handful of individuals have been well short of their best for a run of games now. We're lucky that Cork and Dublin (and Wexford) have been far from formidable so far, and I think we're really lucky we can't get Clare in the qualifiers. Things are gradually falling into place for them, Davy has done an awful lot wrong in the last year but he's proven in the not too distant past that he knows how to do things right as well.

It's also pretty obvious that management don't fully trust Walsh either, I mean how could they stay looking at what Bubbles was doing to Hickey and not at least switch the corner backs, I mean he couldnt exactly go any worse?

So by that I presume you question the management for this move
    You would be correct in this all credit due for pointing this out

• Advertisement

I genuinely have no idea what you are even trying to say here :confused:

I know we have different dialects in the Irish language but I had no idea there was a different form of english in Cork, I have to tell you I don't think its going to catch on.

And I may be new to posting here but I have been reading your koran like ramblings for a long time and I have to say while you are obviously very passionate about our games you are without question the most stubborn man I have ever seen and this charade of adding ''I respect your opinion but..'' at the start of every post and then basically been extremely distrespectful, even in the presentation of your posts, is more than annoying.
    Well I' say I respect your opinion as I generally respect your right to one
    Again you want to twist this perception with your agenda in against myself rather than talk gaa that's your choice

Getting personal with personal insults to my character as I said your posts are good and you don't need to resort to That disappointing and really will only devalue your post in my opinion

No need to get personal with my style of writing as if you find them that bad you have the right not to read them with respect
    But obviously and thank you you must really be a fan when if there that hard to read you still have read them for a while as you say so yourself
    I appreciate your loyalty
    Hopefully you will keep this gaa related as like I said your posts are good and I agree with lot your posts and fair enough you didn't know who one manager was but still judged him but bar that my self and your views are similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

pajoguy wrote: »
    I just dont think we have the players to win an all ireland. Our senior championship is a poor standard and even so very few inter county players stand out. Thats a worry for me.
    A lot of work done at underage but it takes years for that to come through.
    I feel sorry for dodge. Soldiered through some bad years and only got our act together when his legs are gone.
    Man is a legend in my eyes. Celtic cross or not.

The league is poor? 3 Munster club titles in 5 years, NaP went toe to toe with Portumna and We all know Kilmallock ain't that bad. The Well are coming with a team again and Doon are building too.

You would always have a chance against Galway, everybody does becasue they are consistently inconsistent!

Plus if that was the way it panned out Limerick would be coming in on teh back of two sucessive wins and Galway would be coming off the back of loosing a Leinster Final.
    You need to keep this in perspective

Westmeath there expected to win so only one win really and Galway you will know have always been a difficult team for Limerick and cunningjham would play defensive so limerick who struggle to score from play would have to improve hugely

Galway have a lot to prove yet but limerick everybody knows like Cork are very beatable now

Another well known TTM tactic, now if Limerick reach the semi, we will get the old guff, ''I said reach semi and i right TJ bad'' ( sorry I am only learning the language haven't fully grasped it yet.

I respect your right to your opinion but I'll disagree in to be fair no team here that will fear limerick or limerick will fear in yes they could beat them but also could be beaten as bar clare Dublin are in transition and Cork have no full back and Galway have problems also

I said the same with Cork chances
    Limerick to be fair are the last two years expected to win an all Ireland and Gavin o mahony said that they have to drive on
    So getting to a semi where they done the last three years is not progress
    Winning one is
    And kk will be the ultimate test so yes if limerick don't do anything better other questions be asked of them in management as progress is only if you do better than previous years

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

We could play a handful of our intermediates against Westmeath and they'd probably shine. Wouldn't mean they'd be up to playing a strong team in the next round though. I don't think this game is the place to be throwing players in "to get a look at them" unless they've shown undeniable form in training or in club games.

We could play a handful of our intermediates against Westmeath and they'd probably shine. Wouldn't mean they'd be up to playing a strong team in the next round though. I don't think this game is the place to be throwing players in "to get a look at them" unless they've shown undeniable form in training or in club games.
    I'd agree but they should be changes at half back and half forward the next day

I'd agree but they should be changes at half back and half forward the next day

Yeah. Every poster on this thread has said that.

If Byrnes, Lynch and ALTC have been added to the panel it adds three options for wing back and two for wing forward. Dan Morrissey seems to have been forgotten about as a half back option too and has also been playing half forward for the club. He hasn't fully convinced yet for limerick but is a player with potential to be a county wing back. Quaid is back fit. Some have questioned how he was able to play a club game but wasn't ready for limerick, I think with a position like goalie you definitely don't want to throw in a guy with no hurling done who mightn't be fully sharp so it was the right call to hold him back. We need a change in goals. But there might be a case to roll the dice and play Quaid half back? It's a pity there isn't a few more weeks ahead of this game to assess players form in training and pick accordingly. Players were with the clubs for a week, presumably one week training on which to judge them with a light week before the match. Lot of tough calls to make.

For me, I'd want Wayne Mc and Downes starting and Browne should be restored to midfield with Paudie, Dodge and either Condon or Walsh dropping out. I think I'd start Ronan Lynch too, wing back, not wing forward.

Quaid could be an option. As could moving Gavin to half forward, but I don't think it's the time of year to be looking at radical moves like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

If we're adding three or four we should probably cut three or four. The following panel members have not played championship hurling so far this year

Cathal King, 28, has fallen out of favour after playing all WCC games in midfield, and started there in the league against Waterford. Last started at wing back against Laois when a number of fringe players got a run out and came off the bench against Dublin. Turning 28 this year, if he hasn't made it by now, will he ever?

Thomas O'Brien, 26, started the first two WCC games against Waterford and UCC and wasn't seen again until he got a start against Laois, and despite a respectable performance that day has not been seen since. Has been on and off the panel without making a major breakthrough for a few years now, and we probably have better forwards than him waiting in the wings.

Conor Allis, 25, two starts at midfield and wing back in the WCC followed by a substitute appearance in the final. Lost his place to Tom Condon but Condon's injury in the warm up for the Wexford game resulted in three consecutive starts at wing back, didn't stake a serious claim for a starting spot and fell behind Dan Morrissey in the pecking order. Has not appeared since starting against Laois, he's had a few unlucky breaks but his inter county career has not worked out as we would have wanted thus far. How much more time does he get?

Patrick Begley, 25, two starts and a substitute appearance in the WCC followed by two very unsuccessful starts at full forward in the league, utilised in the 'big man up front' role his brother often excelled in but it has not worked for him this year, management haven't helped by how they deployed him. You can't say it would be harsh to drop him unfortunately.

Aaron Murphy, 24, understandable that a sub keeper would not get championship game time but the signs are that the management team don't rate him as he has slipped from second to third choice behind the (thus far) far from convincing Barry Hennessey. Only given one game throughout the WCC and league, would be a very harsh dropping but he'd be forgiven for walking away.

Adrian Breen, 23, given plenty of game time initially (started all WCC games and first two league games) but he has fallen out of favour since, he's younger than Tommy O'Brien, has a bit more time on his side, but like O'Brien there are probably better and younger players than him in the county.

Tom Morrissey, 19, involved in all bar one of the league and WCC games, definitely one for the future, no question of dropping him in my opinion, good to see him being loaned out to the Intermediates.

• Advertisement

Might be some on the panel that aren't going to threaten a place IMO but I can't see what dropping players from the panel would do for anything, particularly morale wise. Wouldn't be surprised if Murphy started next game even.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement