Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I thought this was supposed to be on the limerick radio site, no sign of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I thought this was supposed to be on the limerick radio site, no sign of it :(

http://live95fm.info/extra/

oops :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

YYYYYYYYYYaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Congrats to the minors, but this years championship really highlights the flawed format in Munster. Clare and Cork were both screwed, one team shouldn't get just one game, and teams that have already met should be kept apart until the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Congrats to the minors, but this years championship really highlights the flawed format in Munster. Clare and Cork were both screwed, one team shouldn't get just one game, and teams that have already met should be kept apart until the final.

Easiest and most straight forward would be all 5 teams play each other once, 4 games each, same as what Limerick will play this year, most teams have been together 6 months so getting 4 competitive dates should not be too hard....top 2 into final... Too straight forward for the Munster council though, no back door play offs, losers round etc. etc.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Easiest and most straight forward would be all 5 teams play each other once, 4 games each, same as what Limerick will play this year, most teams have been together 6 months so getting 4 competitive dates should not be too hard....top 2 into final... Too straight forward for the Munster council though, no back door play offs, losers round etc. etc.

How in god's name would that structure be possible with lads doing the leaving.

Orizio wrote: »
    How in god's name would that structure be possible with lads doing the leaving.

Play first round same time as now, April, fit in a second round in April, 3rd round at the time Limerick played Waterford in play off, 4th round this week, play Munster final as stand alone fixture if needs be...you've 3 months to play 4 games, simple with a bit of imagination, would be the death knell of duel minors but that will be the car anyway soon...

Sounded like total daylight robbery, which leaves more questions than answers... but we'll worry about that later :D

Sounded like total daylight robbery, which leaves more questions than answers... but we'll worry about that later :D

Robbery alright, feel we can get more out if Flanagan and Murphy next day, in fairness they will have experience of the big day which tipp won't have, cork would have been favourites for all Ireland if they had won so good opportunity, at the very least guarantees two more outings...very well done manage my and players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

It was and it does. Great to be in the final again though..... cork had 16/17 wides id say. We seemed to be second to most balls, won very little breaking ball, our hurling seemed sluggish though that may have been corks hunting in packs. Its good for these lads to experience wins like tonight though. But we need to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Who came on as subs?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

i wouldn't have thought it was daylight robbery twasn't our fault cork kept putting the ball wide but of course cork were slightly cuter and should have put us away but they didn't.The positives as was stated already are that Flanagan was anonymous and i think we can get more from Mackey and Murphy surely they'll be better the next day,the negatives are our half back line not all bad but a lot of the scores we gave up tonight came from slow hurling whether it was being hooked blocked or turning into traffic and then not having the hurling to get out of it.Maybe i'm being harsh but am judging us only against what i think the best will bring and there's no doubt there's stronger teams out there than cork,but it's great to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Congratulations on yere win
    Ye are guaranteed two games now and loosing a munster is not a set back in once ye improve ye could get to a semi final and see where it takes ye
    I actually think ye would benefit extra game in loosing munster final

Play first round same time as now, April, fit in a second round in April, 3rd round at the time Limerick played Waterford in play off, 4th round this week, play Munster final as stand alone fixture if needs be...you've 3 months to play 4 games, simple with a bit of imagination, would be the death knell of duel minors but that will be the car anyway soon...

And what about clubs? Senior, U-21 and Minor in both codes?

Orizio wrote: »
    And what about clubs? Senior, U-21 and Minor in both codes?

What about the clubs? Well Limerick have played three games in the minor this year so far and have 3 rounds of senior and u21 championship played, so it's very doable, all the games are midweek anyway...at least counties will know the dates they are playing and can plan accordingly...
    Anyone know when the team for Westmeath will be announced, presume tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

What about the clubs? Well Limerick have played three games in the minor this year so far and have 3 rounds of senior and u21 championship played, so it's very doable, all the games are midweek anyway...at least counties will know the dates they are playing and can plan accordingly...

Apparently its not being named until the morning of the match. Very strange decision there

Apparently team won't be announced until just before the match (was tweeted by LimerickGAA yesterday).

Edit; can't find the tweet now, seems to have been deleted, but it was definitely tweeted.

Didn't expect the team to be named right this moment!
    LIMERICK: Nickie Quaid; Tom Condon, Richie McCarthy, Seanie O’Brien; Paudie O’Brien, Gavin O’Mahony, Wayne McNamra; James Ryan, Paul Browne; David Breen, Seanie Tobin, Shane Dowling; Cian Lynch, Kevin Downes, Graeme Mulcahy.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-hurlers-make-five-changes-for-westmeath-qualifier-1-6832408

Just a quick summary of the changes:

5 changes with Hennessey, Hickey, Walsh, Hannon and O'Grady out for Quaid, McNamara, Browne, Tobin and Downes
    Seanie and Condon moved to corner backs with Paudie switching to half back.
    Browne restored to midfield
    Tobin and Dowling starting in the half forward line
    Downes at full forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

There'll be some dented ego's after that.

SOB brings pace to FB line but not sure either him or condon are in right places.

Paidi very lucky to be included, if the intermediates werent in munster final you wonder would byrnes have been selected, I wouldnt play paidi against our next opposition.

Proper midfield restored, fitzgibbon unlucky

Dowling and tobin increase workrate tenfold and opposition defences will be hassled, have ball winning ability and tobin and midfielders on breaks

Park downes on edge of square with mulcahy and lynch picking up breaks - happiest with this line, our goal drought will end sunday, need to carry that into the next match

Overall think its a bettewr balanced side, happy but still need a half back, this line wasnt good enough last year nothing to suggest it will be enough this year. I see they didnt go with my Nicky as sweeper option, feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

LIMERICK: Nickie Quaid; Tom Condon, Richie McCarthy, Seanie O’Brien; Paudie O’Brien, Gavin O’Mahony, Wayne McNamra; James Ryan, Paul Browne; David Breen, Seanie Tobin, Shane Dowling; Cian Lynch, Kevin Downes, Graeme Mulcahy.

Full-back line has added pace now alright, but would still have concerns over Richie. Think we should have gone with King in the corner rather than SOB, who could play any number of other positions.
    POB is nowhere near a half-back. Wayne being restored to the back six will tighten in up big time, however.
    Tobin at centre-forward a good move and I'm also very happy to see Dowling moved to wing and Downes in on the edge of the square.

Downes, Tobin and Breen all getting a run and a chance to claim a starting spot for the next round, think we could have been a bit more adventurous and tried another corner-forward as well but it'll be interesting to see how the front 3 goes, and more importantly, how we feed them.

Overall, happy enough. Has convinced me to make the journey anyways.

Colemania wrote: »

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-hurlers-make-five-changes-for-westmeath-qualifier-1-6832408

5 changes with Hennessey, Hickey, Walsh, Hannon and O'Grady out for Quaid, McNamara, Browne, Tobin and Downes
    Downes at full forward

Imo will hammer westmeath but it's poor selection like I feared and this again shows selection processes is the problem not the players

O brien Wayne mac and o mahony got cleaned out last year and seven goals conceded four games and half back main problem yet now go back same unit
    It lacks pace
    Riche mac isn't the problem but he's no protection

Tobin fine club hurler but as poster said here he'll score two goals here but won't do big games

Breen was poor yet he starts and Dowling isn't half forward and lacks pace yet played out position when he actually little ball done well v tipp and kk last year full forward

But now you play you best forwards all year half forward doesn't suit him
    Those team is management going through the motions and going back most team in key areas that played kk last year thinking it's the answer

Nothing imo learned from tippeary game but huge win here any still imo lots note questions than answers but have no doubt Monday morning the talk will be from the management that's they moved on and mistake being rectified

Colemania wrote: »

Downes at full forward
    Hum hard to know what to make of that, is he using it as a way of spreading the games around the panel or are hickey, Hannon actually dropped, not too good for morale when you're best performers against kk last year are dropped mid year...restoring the misfiring half back line of last year? Especially as paudie was poor against tipp, in the forwards if they bomb the same ball into Downes as they do with Dowling it will come straight back out again, hard to tell with Westmeath anyway, even if they win well, although I think it could be a bit of a slog for 30 mins before getting over them...

To be fair to TJ, a handful of players have had this (being dropped) coming, I'm not entirely happy with where certain players have been picked but its important for the players to be in an environment where they know they will be dropped if they don't produce.

We'll learn nothing from this game. Playing a 2A team is not the ideal preparation for a 1A team seven days later.

To be fair to TJ, a handful of players have had this (being dropped) coming, I'm not entirely happy with where certain players have been picked but its important for the players to be in an environment where they know they will be dropped if they don't produce.

We'll learn nothing from this game. Playing a 2A team is not the ideal preparation for a 1A team seven days later.

I'd agree the things that worry is dropping talented hurlers that are imo let down by system play yet he's bring back lads he's always been loyal to that are committed and great servant etc but not what big games against big team you need
    I think this is not good signs for the rest of the championship
    Ye beat westmeath well there will be no change for the next day bar injuries I fear

Hum hard to know what to make of that, is he using it as a way of spreading the games around the panel or are hickey, Hannon actually dropped, not too good for morale when you're best performers against kk last year are dropped mid year...restoring the misfiring half back line of last year? Especially as paudie was poor against tipp, in the forwards if they bomb the same ball into Downes as they do with Dowling it will come straight back out again, hard to tell with Westmeath anyway, even if they win well, although I think it could be a bit of a slog for 30 mins before getting over them...

You'd have to think that if the likes of Allis, Tommy O'Brien, King and so on, who have been squad members for the last few years, can't see some minutes against Westmeath, they might as well drop off the squad. I know that might sound a bit drastic but those lads get off work and give up opportunities to travel due to training, challenge matches and the championship/league matches themselves. If you're putting all that work in with no return, why bother?

Yes it's great to be picked for your county but are you really a county player if you're not playing in the big championship games? I've known a lot of players 27 year olds onwards that have dropped off the panel due to only being there to fill the bench. It must be soul destroying to watch those matches from the sidelines every week. What's even less fair is when new up and coming players come into the squad who, in my opinion, are of the same level as the lads already there and they get on ahead of the long term squad players. That would drive me mad but unfortunately i'll never be good enough to even play junior b so no worries about that :P

Not much you can do about all that especially when you're chasing a game but Westmeath was the real opportunity to throw in some of these lads who are killing themselves in training every week and getting nothing back.

Who's captain now I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Who's captain now I wonder?

I think paudie o'brien is vice captain. Or at least was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Good win for the minors, but I always expected them to do a number on cork.

Glad to see DOG dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

Rightwing wrote: »
    Good win for the minors, but I always expected them to do a number on cork.

Glad to see DOG dropped.

Why would you be glad to see Dodge dropped? :confused: He owes Limerick nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement