Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Why would you be glad to see Dodge dropped? :confused: He owes Limerick nothing.

Did I say he owes Limk anything ? Answer = No.

However, we need to accept he is a spent force. Face reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Why would you be glad to see Dodge dropped? :confused: He owes Limerick nothing.

Breen should be dropped but won't be as he's huge favour with management despite poor game v tipp it would seem
    Breen has terrific work ethic etc no doubt but other parts he's game never improved the last few years imo

O grady asked play role could not do v tipp as pace gone
    He would and should be the sweeper for Limerick side between half back and midfield
    He's reading and intelligence hurling mind is definitely second to none imo and he's idea crisp delivery forwards
    The role against tippeary played to he's weakness
    O grady is warrior leader has hunger want desire and is up there great great players and is tough as nails
    Should be on limericks team
    I see nothing changes tom Ryan telling limerick what they need to do get better
    Usual stuff work hard etc
    Hardly some one knows much about winning all Irelandwith the greatest respect to him considering he lost three as manager one in club final two county, Westmeath refused play under him
    Couldn't win county with great newtownshandrum yet year later same team win all Ireland
    He's term under twenty one set up was a poor one and no surprise intermediate team doing well since he left them this year
    Yet he tell jbm he should resigned three years ago and now and he apparently has wise words limerick hurling

Great passionate hurling man and servant in terms time given etc but no tactical acumen or he's record as best good but never up there with the great great really really great managers

Breen should be dropped but won't be as he's huge favour with management despite poor game v tipp it would seem
    Breen has terrific work ethic etc no doubt but other parts he's game never improved the last few years imo

O grady asked play role could not do v tipp as pace gone
    He would and should be the sweeper for Limerick side between half back and midfield
    He's reading and intelligence hurling mind is definitely second to none imo and he's idea crisp delivery forwards
    The role against tippeary played to he's weakness
    O grady is warrior leader has hunger want desire and is up there great great players and is tough as nails
    Should be on limericks team
    I see nothing changes tom Ryan telling limerick what they need to do get better
    Usual stuff work hard etc
    Hardly some one knows much about winning all Irelandwith the greatest respect to him considering he lost three as manager one in club final two county, Westmeath refused play under him
    Couldn't win county with great newtownshandrum yet year later same team win all Ireland
    He's term under twenty one set up was a poor one and no surprise intermediate team doing well since he left them this year
    Yet he tell jbm he should resigned three years ago and now and he apparently has wise words limerick hurling

Great passionate hurling man and servant in terms time given etc but no tactical acumen or he's record as best good but never up there with the great great really really great managers

Nonsense. He'd hold his own v Westmeath in that role, and that would con the likes of you, but he's out of time v the likes of Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

Assuming Limerick beat Westmeath when is the draw made for R.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Assuming Limerick beat Westmeath when is the draw made for R.2?

Tomorrow morning id assume. If Limerick win we play Cork or Dublin next Saturday. Could be a triple header in Thurles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Subs; Hennessey, Walsh, Hickey, D.Morrissey, King, Fitzgibbon, Reidy, Hannon, O'Grady, A.Breen, T.O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

An interesting start to say the least. Sounds like another easy goal conceded

This is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Browney7 wrote: »
    An interesting start to say the least. Sounds like another easy goal conceded

Could be going out of the championship if they don't wake up...2 points in 30 minutes of play?

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Could be going out of the championship if they don't wake up...2 points in 30 minutes of play?

No, but TJ could be axed, or more appropriately should be axed. A shambles.

• Advertisement

Tactically, we're terrible. The fact we have better players should see us over the line, but I'm genuinely fearful of what could happen us next weekend (and I can't believe I have to add the following) should we get there. Dublin and Cork will destroy us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Very disappointing for Aaron Murphy to be dropped

Tommy O'Brien getting a run, interesting that he's first sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Tomorrow morning id assume. If Limerick win we play Cork or Dublin next Saturday. Could be a triple header in Thurles

Seen on twitter if its cork(Liam Ahern i think), we've to travel to Pairc ui Rinn,

Dublin then neutral venue.

Of course, judging my how this is sounding, we're absolutely dire tactically..

Won't matter which one of them we get

still only 5 in it, shocking stuff. Westmeath more points on the board than us

Adrian breen on

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Seen on twitter if its cork(Liam Ahern i think), we've to travel to Pairc ui Rinn,

Dublin then neutral venue.

Of course, judging my how this is sounding, we're absolutely dire tactically..

Won't matter which one of them we get

Pairc ui rinn has 16000 capacity or thereabouts so hardly enough capacity there. New home and away agreement started this year apparently which seems strange as there championship ground is half demolished!

only 4 up now. If we do win at least we go in as massive underdogs, backs to wall guff.... though i thought we were gone from those days of fire and brimstone and more hurling and tactical nous! Obviously not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

11 points clear now - what's all the fuss about?

donfers wrote: »
    11 points clear now - what's all the fuss about?

The poor performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Reminds me a bit of the year under Justin. Struggled over laois in a qualifier, somehow managed to beat Dublin and blown out of the water by Tipp on black Sunday.

Sounds like we are totally off the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

15 points against westmeath, for someone who didnt see or listen to the game sounds like a team that hit a large number of wides , the positive would be the goals , it would be far more beneficial for a team to maybe score 1-24 or just the 0-27 points straight to boost confidence, looking forward to the draw in the morning to see who gets who maybe the quick succession of games will improve things for limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Grand result. Games like this you can't win, struggle and we look useless, win by 20 and you learn nothin. We made a few changes, a few lads got a boot up the arse, and a few more came back in. 6 day turnaround so there's very little can be put in for the next game. Definite cross field ball efforts trying to isolate one of the two men inside. Sounds like Downes was sharp which was a positive. Going to be hard to pick the team next day out.

• Advertisement

Grand result. Games like this you can't win, struggle and we look useless, win by 20 and you learn nothin. We made a few changes, a few lads got a boot up the arse, and a few more came back in. 6 day turnaround so there's very little can be put in for the next game. Definite cross field ball efforts trying to isolate one of the two men inside. Sounds like Downes was sharp which was a positive. Going to be hard to pick the team next day out.
    You still fail to look at the concepts and manner of a performance imo

I wasn't at it but sounds like it was a lethargic display and like said last week energy drained this team and needs real change judging by posts here by some

Limerick got four goals and I said they get flurry goals but that won't happen next game
    Likely I said the team selection during the week showed up the non improvement from last week

Ye have chance v Cork or Dublin as none unbeatable but kk today where second gear not breaking sweat awesome

Like I said many times despite the media getting carried away Galway no real test and kk proved Galway are not great and test now is Galway recover

Kk will absoultey destroy limerick in the semi final all Ireland if ye get there unless change is made

In this game you can still silence doubters by showing improvement in areas like conceded another goal that fourteen in around seven games or so I guess

Cork at last even showed defence improvement last night but have way to go
    Yere defence is still poor

Tactically, we're terrible. The fact we have better players should see us over the line, but I'm genuinely fearful of what could happen us next weekend (and I can't believe I have to add the following) should we get there. Dublin and Cork will destroy us.

Cork aren't ruthless enough either as last night showed destroy anyone

Be close game either could win but kk would destroy cork or limerick unless huge improvement made

Cork aren't ruthless enough either as last night showed destroy anyone

Be close game either could win but kk would destroy cork or limerick unless huge improvement made
    I think Cork would defeat us for the same reasons they defeated us last year, we still have not sorted out the issues in our defence that allowed Cork score the decisive goals. I guess when I said "destroy" it was heat of the moment at half time when I was not a happy camper to say the least. We do have a chance but I'm not confident at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

GAA Hurling Round 2 Draw – Clarification:
    Hurling - Round 2
    Please note a correction to last Friday’s media release in relation to the Hurling Round 2 draw which takes place on RTE Morning Ireland at 8.30am tomorrow morning.
    Venues are at the discretion of CCCC so it is immaterial which team emerges first in each pairing.
    There is only one pairing that cannot happen - Clare v Limerick, as they have met previously in the MSHC.
    Confirmation of venues, times etc for these fixtures will be confirmed following a meeting of CCCC on Monday afternoon

Word has it tv evidence shows one of our goals wasn't actually a goal and that it went wide. Second goal I think. To be honest, I was certain it went wide at the time and was very surprised it was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Word has it tv evidence shows one of our goals wasn't actually a goal and that it went wide. Second goal I think. To be honest, I was certain it went wide at the time and was very surprised it was given.

in fairness that is one of the worst calls i have seen , even without the replay it was obvious it was wide

Some of the defending looked awful on the highlights, seanie tobin and A breen wont be able to dance round people like that next week.

At least downes is back

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

I'd never been to Cusack Park (the Mullingar version) before - grand stand, home today to my new favourite PA announcer ("hunker down in front of the press box lads, the boys need to get their match-reports in..."), half-time prize draws, heavy showers and millions of sideline cuts...

With about 10 or 15 minutes to go we were only 4 points up and looked, I noted incredulously, in trouble. Westmeath's tails were up, they rolled their dice and put a big man full-forward on Richie. They sent one high-ball into him which Richie fetched with aplomb, Hannon and Downes knocked over points to get the scoreboard ticking again after a barren fifteen minutes and from there Limerick motored on to the finish-line. Overall it was a poor performance, the defence at times again was carved open, we struggled big time to put points on the board, missed a hatful of goal chances (one of which was bizarrely given). Both Cork and Dublin have their own issues and are beatable, there is no reason to go in against either in a fearful state of mind, however beyond that we will be in bonus territory this year and I would be surprised if we made it to a semi-final. There are just too many problems in too many lines and not enough names ready to come in.

Just to go through the players for people who weren't there:

Quaid - Solid, nothing he could do for the goal. Definitely numero uno.

Condon - Went off with a shoulder injury after about 20 mins, looked serious enough so could well be missing for the next match.
    McCarthy - Better than against Tipp, still not at the level of the last two years. If he is taken out of his comfort zone by Dublin/Cork he will be roasted and both are capable of doing this.
    S O'Brien - Playing excellently at the moment, showed good defensive instincts at times to my eye. Any high ball that came in Seanie was bating through a forest of hurleys to clear. One quibble, he tends to hold onto the ball a bit too much when he goes soloing and usually ends up in a Seamus Hickeyesque dead-end. Part of that is a lack of movement up front as well in fairness.

P O'Brien - Not a defender. Lovely striker of the ball and is always making himself available to the back coming out with the ball, but it's either half-forward or nothing in my mind at this stage.
    O'Mahoney - Not as good as he has been in the last two matches. I'm edging back towards favouring Wayne for 6.
    McNamara - Best Limerick player on view in my mind. Got an amount of touches in to dispossess and was near faultless in his use of the ball. If he's fit he's a must starter the next day.

Ryan/Browne - not at the same pitch this year as they were in previous years. Ryan still can't strike the ball. Browne's goal wasn't remotely a goal, zipped past the right-hand post. How it was given I will never know. Was disappointed Fitzgibbon didn't get a run.

D. Breen - Usual Breen performance, worked hard, won a few puckouts but doesn't offer enough. Went galloping on one of his trademark runs into trouble in the second half, when a simple pass to Downes who had moved into space would have been a certain goal. It's frustrating watching it at this stage because you already know exactly how it's going to unfold well before it happens.
    Tobin - Worth a try at centre-forward but I felt it didn't work out for him positionally, although he finished with three points. There was a moment early on where he got the ball in front of goals without much traffic in front of him and he instinctively moved outside to get space for a shot for a point. One of a number of players who should be fighting for a corner-forward spot the next day.
    Dowling - Probably our best forward in the first half, worked hard, grabbed our second goal and should have had another shortly after from a similar position which he flashed wide of the post. Faded in the second half and the frees deteriorated also, which was unusual - perhaps struggling with the extra work-rate involved on the wing, in fairness he was coming very deep in the first half looking for possession.

Lynch - Not a day to remember, was marked very tightly and rarely got the ball in hand.
    Downes - Good. Not brilliant, but still encouraging. Scored the first goal and could have had two others in a good second half display - batted one off the crossbar after he fetched a high ball in and had another powerful shot well saved by the keeper. Chipped in with two points as well. Forget this faffing about with him bringing him on wing/corner-forward, 14 is the place for him, 11 at a stretch.
    Mulcahy - Struggled to get into the game, I said before the game we would learn nothing from playing him and he played 70 mins. Wouldn't have him as an automatic starter the next day.

Subs:
    D. Morrissey - came on for Condon, played more as a half-back really. Fared well enough I felt, looks to have improved since the league. Was impressive under the high ball, striking has improved as well, sent a lovely ball across to Lynch at one stage in the first half.
    T O'Brien - lively enough, scored a point.
    Hannon - went to centre-forward when he came on, chipped in with a point similar to Tipp game and took over frees after Dowling went off, which he nailed.
    A Breen - better than O'Brien, I felt. Looked pretty lively and got our final goal, a lovely floated strike which completely deceived the keeper who was expecting a pile-driver.
    O'Grady - Wasn't on very long.

Remember: This was against Westmeath.

I'd never been to Cusack Park (the Mullingar version) before - grand stand, home today to my new favourite PA announcer ("hunker down in front of the press box lads, the boys need to get their match-reports in..."), half-time prize draws, heavy showers and millions of sideline cuts...

With about 10 or 15 minutes to go we were only 4 points up and looked, I noted incredulously, in trouble. Westmeath's tails were up, they rolled their dice and put a big man full-forward on Richie. They sent one high-ball into him which Richie fetched with aplomb, Hannon and Downes knocked over points to get the scoreboard ticking again after a barren fifteen minutes and from there Limerick motored on to the finish-line. Overall it was a poor performance, the defence at times again was carved open, we struggled big time to put points on the board, missed a hatful of goal chances (one of which was bizarrely given). Both Cork and Dublin have their own issues and are beatable, there is no reason to go in against either in a fearful state of mind, however beyond that we will be in bonus territory this year and I would be surprised if we made it to a semi-final. There are just too many problems in too many lines and not enough names ready to come in.

Just to go through the players for people who weren't there:

Quaid - Solid, nothing he could do for the goal. Definitely numero uno.

Condon - Went off with a shoulder injury after about 20 mins, looked serious enough so could well be missing for the next match.
    McCarthy - Better than against Tipp, still not at the level of the last two years. If he is taken out of his comfort zone by Dublin/Cork he will be roasted and both are capable of doing this.
    S O'Brien - Playing excellently at the moment, showed good defensive instincts at times to my eye. Any high ball that came in Seanie was bating through a forest of hurleys to clear. One quibble, he tends to hold onto the ball a bit too much when he goes soloing and usually ends up in a Seamus Hickeyesque dead-end. Part of that is a lack of movement up front as well in fairness.

P O'Brien - Not a defender. Lovely striker of the ball and is always making himself available to the back coming out with the ball, but it's either half-forward or nothing in my mind at this stage.
    O'Mahoney - Not as good as he has been in the last two matches. I'm edging back towards favouring Wayne for 6.
    McNamara - Best Limerick player on view in my mind. Got an amount of touches in to dispossess and was near faultless in his use of the ball. If he's fit he's a must starter the next day.

Ryan/Browne - not at the same pitch this year as they were in previous years. Ryan still can't strike the ball. Browne's goal wasn't remotely a goal, zipped past the right-hand post. How it was given I will never know. Was disappointed Fitzgibbon didn't get a run.

D. Breen - Usual Breen performance, worked hard, won a few puckouts but doesn't offer enough. Went galloping on one of his trademark runs into trouble in the second half, when a simple pass to Downes who had moved into space would have been a certain goal. It's frustrating watching it at this stage because you already know exactly how it's going to unfold well before it happens.
    Tobin - Worth a try at centre-forward but I felt it didn't work out for him positionally, although he finished with three points. There was a moment early on where he got the ball in front of goals without much traffic in front of him and he instinctively moved outside to get space for a shot for a point. One of a number of players who should be fighting for a corner-forward spot the next day.
    Dowling - Probably our best forward in the first half, worked hard, grabbed our second goal and should have had another shortly after from a similar position which he flashed wide of the post. Faded in the second half and the frees deteriorated also, which was unusual - perhaps struggling with the extra work-rate involved on the wing, in fairness he was coming very deep in the first half looking for possession.

Lynch - Not a day to remember, was marked very tightly and rarely got the ball in hand.
    Downes - Good. Not brilliant, but still encouraging. Scored the first goal and could have had two others in a good second half display - batted one off the crossbar after he fetched a high ball in and had another powerful shot well saved by the keeper. Chipped in with two points as well. Forget this faffing about with him bringing him on wing/corner-forward, 14 is the place for him, 11 at a stretch.
    Mulcahy - Struggled to get into the game, I said before the game we would learn nothing from playing him and he played 70 mins. Wouldn't have him as an automatic starter the next day.

Subs:
    D. Morrissey - came on for Condon, played more as a half-back really. Fared well enough I felt, looks to have improved since the league. Was impressive under the high ball, striking has improved as well, sent a lovely ball across to Lynch at one stage in the first half.
    T O'Brien - lively enough, scored a point.
    Hannon - went to centre-forward when he came on, chipped in with a point similar to Tipp game and took over frees after Dowling went off, which he nailed.
    A Breen - better than O'Brien, I felt. Looked pretty lively and got our final goal, a lovely floated strike which completely deceived the keeper who was expecting a pile-driver.
    O'Grady - Wasn't on very long.

Remember: This was against Westmeath.
    When you judge team manager has been judged as imo unfair players other wise as they reflect him

It's fair say what I heard limerick were one dimension again and Ryan management with selectors have be questioned

Saw goal appalling defending

I said he picked wrong team that game and surprised struggling to win still
    Problem isn't the panel it's the system is inept and lethargic and wrong team is picked with no balance

It's not that hard to fix if management change things
    But this team craves a coach to work on defence

• Advertisement

Post match interview said it after wards all talk was regards forward play and no mention of the poor defence play
    You can't solve problems if management don't think one exists

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement