Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Dublin it is. Watching the draw was hilarious. A tiny bowl and four big cylinders and all he did was spin them around with no jumbling. Can't beat that stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

Double header in Thurles?????

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

PIORUN wrote: »
    Double header in Thurles?????

Tipp are due to play Louth in football qualifier at home on Saturday, they surely won't play a triple header the day before the Munster Final? Or will they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Pandiani wrote: »
    Tipp are due to play Louth in football qualifier at home on Saturday, they surely won't play a triple header the day before the Munster Final? Or will they?
    That's exactly what they did in 2012 so I wouldn't rule it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Hopefully Thurles, the home of Limerick Hurling!

I can see this being in Portlaoise tbh. Bring Clare and cork to Limerick then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Browney7 wrote: »
    Hopefully Thurles, the home of Limerick Hurling!

I can see this being in Portlaoise tbh. Bring Clare and cork to Limerick then

Will be hard pressed to beat Dublin I think, even though they were hardly impressive in beating Laois either, will be like the qualifier a few years back, close enough and goals might decide it...if Condon is out does hickey come back in, between himself and Walsh really, hickey is in awful form but has way more potential...they will target Richie I presume and try to drag him out, I wonder will downes and Tobin hold their places? I'd keep downes in ff and play Dowling on the half forward line, problem is if Dowling is lost at half forward, he didn't sound too impressive against w'meath and downes doesn't make a impact in full forward then we're negating the one forward that was making an impact, would restore Wayne mc to centre back and play Gavin as the loose man to shore up defence, has Hannon done enough to be restored? Will ogrady be back for what could be his swansong
    The intermediate team and panel was named for Wednesday night, no changes from last day I don't think, interestingly ronan lynch on the bench...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Will be hard pressed to beat Dublin I think, even though they were hardly impressive in beating Laois either, will be like the qualifier a few years back, close enough and goals might decide it...if Condon is out does hickey come back in, between himself and Walsh really, hickey is in awful form but has way more potential...they will target Richie I presume and try to drag him out, I wonder will downes and Tobin hold their places? I'd keep downes in ff and play Dowling on the half forward line, problem is if Dowling is lost at half forward, he didn't sound too impressive against w'meath and downes doesn't make a impact in full forward then we're negating the one forward that was making an impact, would restore Wayne mc to centre back and play Gavin as the loose man to shore up defence, has Hannon done enough to be restored? Will ogrady be back for what could be his swansong
    The intermediate team and panel was named for Wednesday night, no changes from last day I don't think, interestingly ronan lynch on the bench...

Limerick got the best draw imo in Dublin don't have pace yet in the team cunningjham is in rebuild mode and Dublin will have to play physics game but haven't yet incorporated pace or width across the ptich and will be direct at times so limerick should be delighted

Yes it's tough game but Cork pace would been more threat but limerick Wayne mac should start this game only this game mark keanry as it's physics strength on physical strength

Limerick have to play sweeper irrespective what Dublin do as you got have to means to an end in look at the possibility all Ireland quater finals Galway or waterford even tipp loose ye can't play them again

Galway will play a two man style inside and waterford sweeper is good

Beating Dublin no good orthodox
    Limerick have to start changing the system and realise picking players is horses courses in on team opponents

Start Wayne mac here but not against the kk and tippeary when more than physical strength is needed

Dublin have problems also and are caught between old style daly ways to game short possession cunningjham wants
    It could be year too early for Dublin and they badly need change the team
    If Ryan dwyer starts Dublin in what going be very intense battle physical wise limerick have a huge chance in he tends be I'll disciplined

That's a good limerick intermediate team and I'm honestly not doing yerra but limerick are favourite as Cork new team last year and waterford were awful and Cork excellent midfielder Danny flynn is likely miss it

Morrisey is outstanding and Cork have no one mark him while lynch would be awesome also

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Its thurles so. The other match in limerick i hear also.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Limerick need to play a sweeper from here on out otherwise the full-back line will be torn asunder. Condon out, Hickey on the bench, McCarthy vulnerable. God only knows who will start the next day, Walsh will be in pole position for a return in management's eyes but again this leaves us hugely vulnerable pace-wise back there. King in one corner would solve this side of things but playing him would be a big gamble. O'Grady is the obvious choice if we are to go with a sweeper.

Morrissey, McNamara and GOM a physical enough half-back line probably the best we can put out at this point.

Half-forward line is a dilemma. I was listening to Dave Fanning interviewing some photographer on the drive up to Mullingar and he mentioned a saying "Hard work beats talent when talent isn't working." This is very relevant to our situation I feel. We need to play someone at 11 who will work, work, work. We have to do something to stop the ball coming out so easily. David Reidy didn't get a run on Sunday which surprised me, but from what I've seen he strikes me as the kind of player who will hassle all day long. Dowling you would imagine would be one wing, the other wing for me could be any of a number of players, Hannon, Breen, Paudie O'Brien.

Downes on the edge of the square, there are a host of names who are gunning for a corner-forward spot, Lynch, Mulcahy, Tobin, Breen, Tommy O'Brien, I'd have a slight preference for Tobin or Breen for this one, personally...

• Advertisement

Limerick need to play a sweeper from here on out otherwise the full-back line will be torn asunder. Condon out, Hickey on the bench, McCarthy vulnerable. God only knows who will start the next day, Walsh will be in pole position for a return in management's eyes but again this leaves us hugely vulnerable pace-wise back there. King in one corner would solve this side of things but playing him would be a big gamble. O'Grady is the obvious choice if we are to go with a sweeper.

Morrissey, McNamara and GOM a physical enough half-back line probably the best we can put out at this point.

Half-forward line is a dilemma. I was listening to Dave Fanning interviewing some photographer on the drive up to Mullingar and he mentioned a saying "Hard work beats talent when talent isn't working." This is very relevant to our situation I feel. We need to play someone at 11 who will work, work, work. We have to do something to stop the ball coming out so easily. David Reidy didn't get a run on Sunday which surprised me, but from what I've seen he strikes me as the kind of player who will hassle all day long. Dowling you would imagine would be one wing, the other wing for me could be any of a number of players, Hannon, Breen, Paudie O'Brien.

Downes on the edge of the square, there are a host of names who are gunning for a corner-forward spot, Lynch, Mulcahy, Tobin, Breen, Tommy O'Brien, I'd have a slight preference for Tobin or Breen for this one, personally...

Key is management though and limerick chances will rest on them
    Limerick probably have a backs to the wall under dog performance but that's no good anymore as v clare as favourite nearly blew it, against tippeary expected to be competitive but we're awful and then westmeath huge favourite couldn't win easily

When limerick are under dog they get intensity up
    That's no good anymore
    They need tactics innovation and a system that works as the players are there and the wonderful Cian lynch deserve so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Both games in thurles, we at 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Both games in thurles, we at 5.

3 games, football at 2.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

For anyone at the game, could you really learn much about Morrissey in that game and do you think he could live against better teams? Where did Paudie go in the reshuffle, surely not back to corner back?

Mixed reviews on Dowling, some say he was the pick of the forwards, the examiner says he was weak. Doesn't sound like he won much more ball at half forward than what went before so I still prefer him at full. Downes seemed to go well enough and hopefully the few scores boost his confidence. Can't believe Tobin was taken off, even if he wasn't going great in the second half give him 70 mins. It didn't sound like Mulcahy was setting the world alight either and we're not going to learn much more about him in this game surely -another questionable decision from management IMO. Wouldn't worry much about it but still a little disappointing Lynch made zero impact.

Sounds like Hannon was more or less the same as v Tipp when he came in. Relatively anonymous but popping up for scores. We know he can pluck balls out of the sky and flatten lads with shoulders and run and tackle, frustrating not to see more of that from him.

Strange Hickey wasn't used at all and wonder will he make it back now that Condon is properly gone from wing back, and may also be gone from the corner with injury. Has hickey been injury hampered I wonder?

Good to see Quaid back, I'm growing more and more convinced (or maybe just desperate) that we need to try him at 6 (next year not now obviously) -fielding and ball distribution are strengths for a start.

Sounded like James Ryan hardly burned a ball again, is he living on last year's performances at this stage?

No sign that we've clicked and can compete with the top teams yet but it's typical of the type of display you'd expect from limerick in a game like this, making hard work of it before putting a gloss on the scoreboard at the end. It's still possible we can come out all guns blazing and beat Dublin. The positive is from the last Dublin game we know how they destroyed us at the back and should be able to plan for that. If we win it'll be based on increased workrate, no hint of any sophistication up front yet aside from hitting long high balls to now hitting long high occasionally diagonal balls.

For Dublin, it looks like you've half the battle done if you can stop Schutte up front. Ordinarily kid want hickey on him to match him for pace. If hickey doesn't play, or if he hasn't shown form to be handled that detail then Seanie could be the best bet. If Dublin go with just one up front we can leave Richie the free man to mind the house. It's important we dictate who the free man is, Tipp specifically worked it that Walsh would be the defender left free, a good man marker type player but probably our single back least suited to a free man/sweeper role.

When you judge team manager has been judged as imo unfair players other wise as they reflect him

It's fair say what I heard limerick were one dimension again and Ryan management with selectors have be questioned

Saw goal appalling defending

I said he picked wrong team that game and surprised struggling to win still
    Problem isn't the panel it's the system is inept and lethargic and wrong team is picked with no balance

It's not that hard to fix if management change things
    But this team craves a coach to work on defence

Just to come back on this TTM, I agree but I'm afraid a lot of management's job is behind the scenes which I am not privy to, what they are doing in training etc. I can only judge them on what I see on matchdays and I've been critical before regarding the lack of options tried during league, non-existent game plan, etc. In fairness to management at least some changes were made for this match, some which I agreed with and some I was against. When it comes to the balance of the team you'll find a lot of different opinions on what the right formation should be, I've always said the balance of the forwards was wrong, at least on Sunday the forwards lined up a little bit more like what I would like to see.

At this stage regarding tactics, gameplan etc I feel it's too late in the day to fix anything for this season, especially with a limited enough panel. I'll come back to that in more detail once the season is over, but for the time being I think the best we can do is try and play players where their natural instincts will help us most for each individual game remaining.

Just to come back on this TTM, I agree but I'm afraid a lot of management's job is behind the scenes which I am not privy to, what they are doing in training etc. I can only judge them on what I see on matchdays and I've been critical before regarding the lack of options tried during league, non-existent game plan, etc. In fairness to management at least some changes were made for this match, some which I agreed with and some I was against. When it comes to the balance of the team you'll find a lot of different opinions on what the right formation should be, I've always said the balance of the forwards was wrong, at least on Sunday the forwards lined up a little bit more like what I would like to see.

At this stage regarding tactics, gameplan etc I feel it's too late in the day to fix anything for this season, especially with a limited enough panel. I'll come back to that in more detail once the season is over, but for the time being I think the best we can do is try and play players where their natural instincts will help us most for each individual game remaining.

Fair point but why start tomorrow something you can change today

Limerick aren't going win all ireland now so may well start change now than next year so getting two games if beat Dublin at least is good
    Old habits die hard so system has start asap

Cork started new system v Wexford and while it may be late day with clare coming in could been better another game under the belt at least cork showing intent

Limerick management are so far old school it's not even funny
    Ask anyone who was at Wexford limerick in camoige and both yes both teams played a sweeper
    Limerick minors played a sweeper in all three games
    It's prevalent at school level
    Yet limerick senior still only when enforced so do it
    That's shows the problem imo

We're just so simplistic in our approach, poor movement all over the pitch, Ryan and Browne were our strongest line last year, they didn't hold positions, their movement was fantastic. Between injuries, and mixed form and Browne being played at wing forward we haven't had the same benefit this season.

Our half back line was commonly acknowledged as our weakest line last season, and despite trying Condon, Morrissey, Allis and Seanie O'Brien we've gone back to square one; Paudie, Wayne and Gavin. The conclusion is simple; it's not the players that is the issue, it's the coaching and the tactical deployment of those players. Plenty of good individual players who regardless of where they are picked and positioned it hasn't been clicking.

It seems the plan in defence is marshall your zone, tackle strong and hard, make sure they have to go around you rather than through you (and unfortunately teams are becoming increasingly successful at going around) and in the case of a two man full forward line deploy the corner back in a sort of a free role, not sure how you'd describe how we use the extra corner back but it isn't quite the conventional sweeper.

In terms of winning and managing possession we're not up to scratch. The only time we'll catch a ball is if the receiving player is isolated, otherwise we constantly try to bat the ball down and claim the ball on the ground, which is basically presenting opposition a 50:50 shot of claiming a puck out our man "won". So few of our players attack the ball with their hand.

When in possession, we do pass short sometimes but our overall movement counts against us, players need to run into positions where they can receive the ball, often a player only has one safe option for a short pass and sometimes has none at all and has to chance a long ball. Our workrate in the forwards is not quite up to scratch, too often a player wins a ball only to end up mobbed by three or four defenders, how often do you hear frustrated calls of "Support him" from our fans?

It has yet to click this year, we haven't put in one really good performance all season. We had a good second half against Waterford (after an awful first half) and we fought back well against a Wexford team who were average at best this season. Laboured victories over Antrim and Laois almost mirrored the Westmeath game, the Offaly performance was very poor (take that result out of Offaly's season and they had a terribly poor year), Dublin easily defeated us, Tipperary hammered us, and the victory over Clare, although a good result, came from a match between two teams who were commonly acknowledged to be far from their best. This has been a poor year, just remember, we were a team that harboured All-Ireland ambitions. We didn't spend the winter and spring discussing what we needed to do to make it back to the All-Ireland quarter finals.

Many individual players have been some way short of their best this season. When that many players are out of form, it's no longer about the players, it can only be concluded that the men in charge are not getting the best from those players. If the All-Star nominees were chosen tonight, I highly doubt we would even have a single player make the shortlist based on our three games so far.

Can we beat Dublin? Yes. After that, we'll have one of Galway and Waterford. (Can't get KK and won't be paired with Tipp at QF stage). Two games that are winnable. We have an awful lot of work to do to make the semi final stage, but if we do get that far, I can't for the life of me see how we're going to get past Kilkenny or Tipperary in a semi final. If Waterford beat Tipp next Sunday then that would mean they are so far up the road that they are almost out of sight relative to us, either way, we have a mountain to climb to beat one of the provincial champions. Win next two games and we'll have scaled some of the way up that mountain, but the peak is very far away right now.

I don't blame the players one bit for the poor year, obviously it's up to them to go out and perform, but I do feel they have been suffering at the hands of a management team that has failed to move with the times.

We're just so simplistic in our approach, poor movement all over the pitch, Ryan and Browne were our strongest line last year, they didn't hold positions, their movement was fantastic. Between injuries, and mixed form and Browne being played at wing forward we haven't had the same benefit this season.

Our half back line was commonly acknowledged as our weakest line last season, and despite trying Condon, Morrissey, Allis and Seanie O'Brien we've gone back to square one; Paudie, Wayne and Gavin. The conclusion is simple; it's not the players that is the issue, it's the coaching and the tactical deployment of those players. Plenty of good individual players who regardless of where they are picked and positioned it hasn't been clicking.

It seems the plan in defence is marshall your zone, tackle strong and hard, make sure they have to go around you rather than through you (and unfortunately teams are becoming increasingly successful at going around) and in the case of a two man full forward line deploy the corner back in a sort of a free role, not sure how you'd describe how we use the extra corner back but it isn't quite the conventional sweeper.

In terms of winning and managing possession we're not up to scratch. The only time we'll catch a ball is if the receiving player is isolated, otherwise we constantly try to bat the ball down and claim the ball on the ground, which is basically presenting opposition a 50:50 shot of claiming a puck out our man "won". So few of our players attack the ball with their hand.

When in possession, we do pass short sometimes but our overall movement counts against us, players need to run into positions where they can receive the ball, often a player only has one safe option for a short pass and sometimes has none at all and has to chance a long ball. Our workrate in the forwards is not quite up to scratch, too often a player wins a ball only to end up mobbed by three or four defenders, how often do you hear frustrated calls of "Support him" from our fans?

It has yet to click this year, we haven't put in one really good performance all season. We had a good second half against Waterford (after an awful first half) and we fought back well against a Wexford team who were average at best this season. Laboured victories over Antrim and Laois almost mirrored the Westmeath game, the Offaly performance was very poor (take that result out of Offaly's season and they had a terribly poor year), Dublin easily defeated us, Tipperary hammered us, and the victory over Clare, although a good result, came from a match between two teams who were commonly acknowledged to be far from their best. This has been a poor year, just remember, we were a team that harboured All-Ireland ambitions. We didn't spend the winter and spring discussing what we needed to do to make it back to the All-Ireland quarter finals.

Many individual players have been some way short of their best this season. When that many players are out of form, it's no longer about the players, it can only be concluded that the men in charge are not getting the best from those players. If the All-Star nominees were chosen tonight, I highly doubt we would even have a single player make the shortlist based on our three games so far.

Can we beat Dublin? Yes. After that, we'll have one of Galway and Waterford. (Can't get KK and won't be paired with Tipp at QF stage). Two games that are winnable. We have an awful lot of work to do to make the semi final stage, but if we do get that for, I can't for the life of me see how we're going to get past Kilkenny or Tipperary in a semi final. If Waterford beat Tipp next Sunday then that would mean they are so far up the road that they are almost out of sight relative to us, either way, we have a mountain to climb to beat one of the provincial champions. Win next two games and we'll have scaled some of the way up that mountain, but the peak is very far away right now.

I don't blame the players one bit for the poor year, obviously it's up to them to go out and perform, but I do feel they have been suffering at the hands of a management team that has failed to move with the times.

Outstanding post with real realism in that

• Registered Users Posts: 25 treklane

love the forum lads great points made and always picked at very well by ev1,
    as a mad limerick fan i know were off the pace and lack a bit of back bone we had last year but i think this team needs to be playing weekly to progress. a poor performance yesterday but its a tight field aaway from home and the weather was cat,all in all we scored a few goals which we always fail to do imo.
    great draw with dublin i think its the best we cud have got if we beat them we have every chance.
    i know kk are awesome but every dog has his day.
    i think we will still play a big part in this years affairs yet

Brilliant post ZH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Hope we win on Sat and think we can but suspect Dalo is in the wings waiting to take over

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Dont get all the doom and gloom. Lads who said we'd beat Tipp are now saying we're useless. We have the best possible draw - I happened to be in Portloaise on saturday and Dublin were putrid. Schutte is their star but after that their hurling, first touch was poor. Get over this and we would well be playing Waterford or a Galway team always capable of imploding.

Cork turned over a very mediocre wexford on saturday, Clare were relegated and have won 1 champiomnship in 2 years and both are being talked up as being close to going all the way.

We have flaws of course but so does every team and their management. We also have 20 players who have huge heart and commitment. Let's hope it all comes out on saturday.

Ger Loughnane's famous phrase "pure constipated hurling" comes to mind. We're trying to work the ball up the pitch at the moment, stick-passing and hand-passing, but we don't have the players in the middle third of the field suited to this kind of running game to implement it properly atm, support runners and half-forwards moving to make space, so we either run into trouble or we bate a long ball in five seconds later than it should have been delivered. We actually worked better last year when the first player to receive the ball in space in the backs went long, and any stage we've looked halfway decent this year, we've been doing the same. This focus on labouring the ball up the pitch has also dented our ability to pick off long range points, at which we were very good last year. If we play a sweeper against Dublin (and as I've said before I think we need to anyway at this stage, from a defensive point of view) it may allow a better platform to launch the ball into the full-forward line when we win the ball in the backs, it also may create space up front, but the ball does have to be placed otherwise you end up making an All-Star out of the opposition's spare man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Have to play a sweeper, we're just porous at the moment. Hopefully get to intermediate game tomorrow to see if byrnes is up to it.

grimbergen wrote: »
    Dont get all the doom and gloom. Lads who said we'd beat Tipp are now saying we're useless. We have the best possible draw - I happened to be in Portloaise on saturday and Dublin were putrid. Schutte is their star but after that their hurling, first touch was poor. Get over this and we would well be playing Waterford or a Galway team always capable of imploding.

Cork turned over a very mediocre wexford on saturday, Clare were relegated and have won 1 champiomnship in 2 years and both are being talked up as being close to going all the way.

We have flaws of course but so does every team and their management. We also have 20 players who have huge heart and commitment. Let's hope it all comes out on saturday.

Nobody questions heart and commitment but this team has all ireland within them four years on go, so this nonsense be happy with commitment and pride as just that is not attuide teams win all Ireland
    If that's the case limerick will never truly evolve or even come close all Ireland
    Cusack made great point on the sunday game in Wexford Saturday was air relaxation expected Wexford loose and no big deal in we no right beat Cork
    Cusack said fans players management have change that's
    Fans accept limerick team have been four years go got two all ireland semi finals watched clare Donegal win all Ireland so it's justifiably maybe just maybe county real sporting attuide deserves all ireland and with attuide like yours with respect it won't come soon

Team showed no improvement two years since Allen and failed get promoted hammers by tippeary so I think players even themselves be fair changed this nonsense view commitment and passion is enough were going do our best
    Gavin o mahony said it in March he's sick that talk he wants to win
    You miss the bigger picture it's not about Galway and Waterford
    It's about beating Kilkenny and tippeary now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

That's exactly what they did in 2012 so I wouldn't rule it out

Munster final in 2012 was in Pairc Ui Caoimh though not in Thurles. It's a disgrace.

Hard to pick a team for the next game, I think there's only a few changes you can make and hope that players like Hannon and Hickey are going to come good. Presuming Condon's out:

Quaid
    Walsh McCarthy Hickey/Seanie
    Wayne Gavin Hickey/Seanie
    Ryan Browne
    Breen Hannon Downes/Dowling
    Lynch Downling/Downes Tobin

I'd start Tobin because he's a quality player and great to work and tackle, he also must be ripping for a chance to start and the speed of a fresh Mulcahy coming in with 20 to go would be a nightmare for any corner back. Worth a try and at the least you wouldn't lose much between them in the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well I'm back after what has been a turbulent couple of weeks for Limerick GAA, been way out of the loop.

First of all, well done to the minors, super victory against a Cork team that beat us handsomely first time out. They may have dominated the game and been without their best player but it's still great to get the win and a third Munster final in three years and another two games for these players can only benefit us in the future.

Secondly, the footballers. Were always up against it against Tyrone, sounds like they put in a good performance and the scoreline didn't really reflect the game. Brudair has done fairly well considering and hopefully we can continue to build over the next few years.

And now the senior hurlers... the Tipp defeat still hurts a lot. We were just off the pace in every regard, bar Dowling really, who dragged us back into the game but the way we faded out after pulling it close was hugely disappointing. Tipp ran us ragged.

I wasn't listening to the WH match on the radio but it sounds as if it was awful stuff. When I heard about the changes originally, I was actually pretty happy. They were bold moves- Hickey & Hannon have both been below the standard they can play at, even if Hannon did score a few points against Tipp; Wayne had done well when coming on, Tobin is a hard-working player who can score and Quaid is class. I was less happy with Paudie going back to wing-back, but Downes at full-forward was understandable. It doesn't seem to have worked but it would seem it's more than one reason.

Fitness-wise we seem a bit off, tactically we're not getting the best out of our forwards like we were last year and now our backline is getting badly exposed. It's a huge, huge worry.

What's the story with Ronan Lynch, ALTC & Diarmuid Byrnes? Have they been added to the panel or not? To be honest, even if they have, it must be hard to get up to intercounty sharpness after not being involved for an entire season.

Richie Mc has lost some pace from last year and he was never the quickest, teams have definitely realised this and he needs protection. Moving SOB back there might help but against Dublin, he cannot be allowed to mark Schutte, we've already see what will happen. The space in front of the full-back line needs to be narrowed. And now Condon is gone too, a warrior who always battles on, a huge loss. What is the story with Hickey? Falling all over the place in recent games, looking well off the pace- from a player who has been one of our quickest and most fit.

I think Wayne had to return to the half-back line, I've criticised him in the past and don't think he's a natural centre-back but I'd rather him than Paudie and he is quicker than Gavin. Still lack pace in that line and teams like Cork and Waterford will hurt us there too... Byrnes & Lynch aren't exactly going to stop that happening and it is still our weakest line, I'd say.

I don't know what to do in attack, the work rate of most of our forwards needs to be upped and we need to feed our talented forwards better ball. Both Breen & Dodge looked completely unfit against Tipp... the intensity across the board has to be raised against Dublin.

Will it happen?? I don't know, training this week has to go well.

And what was the story with club matches being on, I was sure they'd be called off tbh. Great win for the Well against Ahane, shock draw for Adare too.

I'm not confident tbh, I don't think Dublin are any great shakes really but they'll try and expose Richie again, so our corner-backs will have to up their game to help them out too. Our half-back line got wiped out by them in the air during the league so that's another big worry. In attack, at least Downes & Mulcahy have tended to trouble Dublin in the past, and Downes brings directness to the full-forward position but do we lose out on not having someone like him at centre-forward too? It's a big test for TJ and his team, but if we lose, big questions will have to be asked and he could end up going- we should really have been building on the last few years. It'd be a major, major setback.

Welcome back Fireball! Good post, one quick point- you asked about Ronan Lynch, he's named as a sub on the intermediate panel for the Munster final, they'll surely bring him on at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Have to play a sweeper, we're just porous at the moment. Hopefully get to intermediate game tomorrow to see if byrnes is up to it.

Any chance you might post a report on this game as I won't make it i'm hearing a lot about Byrnes I haven't seen him a lot but of what I have it surprises me to hear him being talked about so much but I love being proved wrong when its for the betterment of Limk hurling.

Normally you couldn't question the commitment or heart of any Limerick team but for me those two and lack of fitness have been sorely missed this yr or at worst haven't been there in the same amount as normal.

I fear for us on sat I truly believe we have the players to beat Dublin but if we don't a clear out is required like what Waterford did as I for one have no interest in quarter or semi's or even beaten finalist I want to try and build a team that might do so even if it takes a few yrs and I think this team has peaked already probably last August.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement