Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ah that was really disappointing, only got going when we went 6 points down.

Way too many players had terrible performances, and a few more were average.

We blinked first on the sweeper I think, and i dont think it was a good move for us, they really should have replaced sean finn or put him in the forwards where I think he belongs. Unfortunately dinny moloney on the same flank was also really poor, huge respect for the guy but it didnt happen tonight.

Midfielders played well, brennan caught great ball just didnt use it well enough.

Forwards made very little impression, morrissey aside. but even still he didnt take the only goal chance on the night.

Carmody was very poor, we would have been better served if himself and finn swapped positions.

Lynch came on and was ineffective, also a back imo
    English was better and scored from half back

Barry connell was good very comfortable at FB

Byrnes was brilliant, best passer ive ever seen in limerick, his striking of the ball is exceptional. Can catch, reads the game well, not the fastest but not slow either has pace over 3 to 4 yards. The sweeper helped him, but the impressive thing about him was that he made others look good they all bought into his passing and the whole team was built around him.

I wouldnt think twice about playing him as a sweeper on saturday

Think the players will be very disappoiinted they didnt go at it hard enough for a long while.

Thanks for the report, good to hear how they got on.

The report of Byrnes in particular is encouraging. Always a good player at underage but seems to be maturing nicely into a really top player. Someone who is able to stay composed and pick a pass into the forwards would be huge for our seniors, and his defensive attributes have always been strong.

Disappointing about Sean Finn, I do rate him as a corner-back tbh but you could be right about him being a better forward. We have a similar forwards with a few of that minor team- Ronan Lynch, Paddy O'Loughlin, Colin Ryan, Andrew La Touche Cosgrave... all are good in both forwards and backs and it's up to coaches to identify where they will flourish into the future. It did sound like Finn got the runaround today though.

Good to hear Barry did well, I personally think he's better in a freer role up the pitch but is likely to be centre-back for the 21s this year (which is a bit odd if Byrnes is doing so well). Also a pity about Dinny Moloney, I thought he was their best performer over the last two games but it sounds like he, Willie Griffin, Kevin O'Brien, Mike Fitzgibbon, etc all had quiet games.

It's not the end of the world though, would have been nice to win but a lot of those players have the 21s match next week which is a lot bigger and maybe Tom Morrissey will make the panel for Saturday- he has that ability to just turn and shoot accurately if he gets the ball in his hand, he has more of a physical presence than some of our other forwards too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Rumours floating around that we'll see O'Mahony used as a sweeper, Morrissey come in for Condon and Hannon come back in for Tobin.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Rumours floating around that we'll see O'Mahony used as a sweeper, Morrissey come in for Condon and Hannon come back in for Tobin.

Sounds about right. Can't see Morriseey playing in the corner though.

Sounds about right. Can't see Morriseey playing in the corner though.

I'm not sure what to make of it. If, O'Mahony actually is sweeper, I'm assuming Wayne becomes the de facto centre back, and who assumes the wing back position? I would have imagined Morrissey would take a wing back position with Walsh or Hickey returning at corner back, and one forward would make way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

My assessment for both cork and limerick teams as I'll post same post on both threads
    Better team on the night won in what was a good game
    From limerick point of

Morrisey was Sensational
    I said before cork could not mark him as simply he's senior player of immense inter county potential, pace strength and great hand and he was just unmarkabke

He was brilliant. Man of the match from limerick alongside Byrnes in he's only limerick forward to score from play and himself and free griffin kept limerick in it

He's going to be major threat against tippeary next week at under twenty one
    Should be on senior panel ahead of tobin imo who won't improve but said last year star making

The fear is he won't have good coaching at senior to develop to the next level.
    It's ironic in a way to hear kk were surprisingly destroyed at under twenty one tonight but kk like cody does is the exception to the rule in despite that loss again at under age he'll still get around four or more of that team and make them senior top class inter county hurlers

The lads I felt to watch for cork were pretty much the ones that played well
    Cork full forward Tony Murphy as in post said one watch he was outstanding and big man Christ he can move four points play and really gave ex minor finn introduction big game, finn improved but Murphy would be handful any one this level and possibly if keep up worth look senior

Byrnes was outstanding and such composure and two brilliant point from play immaculate reading and awareness and intelligent passing with real real leadership and superb frees has to get call up to senior and brennan had a fine game and limerick played sweeper again
    You see Don flynn old school but credit due he even playing sweeper but only team in limerick that doesn't and refused play one mostly is senior as joe Quaid camoige played one, minor all year, ard scoil under niall moran, doon also, and under twenty one likely next week who in superb fitness shape I heard with Cork man ross Corbett being revelation there will play one
    I heard under twenty ones are in good nick for next week and the good news is they will be under dog as tippeary are favourite over good showing the last two years and based on the minor team from three years ago with a good few senior involved.

It's great to hear limerick senior maybe will play a sweeper v Dublin
    Credit due to management
    I mentioned it again as when intermediate team plays it only team left is the senior team.

Lynch was a sub was good at times but introduced way too late in nearly the end of the ist half
    Also I said this even when he was minor he's not a forward but a much better back and should be defender

Carmody was okay I was disappointed and expected more to be honest
    He never performed to the level he can
    Donovan was okay just okay
    Griffin was poor from play taken off but good from frees

Limerick were okay against the wind just three down but role reversal minor last week in had lot wides and lost
    But Cork were excellent and were never out played and to be fair limerick will admit cork deserved it

Kilkenny are out of the equation so Cork have all ireland in their grasp now
    Huge win for Cork as meet Wexford or Galway who play leinster final next week and winners play all ireland final so Cork in all ireland final

Last year cork win five games win all Ireland this year just three games in Galway put in leinster and ulster opted out so win might be devalued but having said that dwayne deserves credit as Cork with new team did more expected

As previously said in the limerick thread lead up I have doubt over him manager but said sheehan good selector and I rate him hugely but dwayne deserves credit tonight

Limerick were huge favourite and nearly two to one but again limerick teams struggle under hype or pressure and can't do favourite, it's like they feared the win tonight
    On paper between senior and minor limerick had around five or so lads played senior or minor all ireland finals and Cork had no minor played all ireland final or senior I think
    Murray and Mike Fitzgerald started senior all ireland final for Limerick, cork had none on the panel.
    I genuinely felt limerick be too strong for Cork on paper.

It's something they have to deal with in favourite tags as limerick on paper had more potential senior with morrisey lynch Byrnes Ryan etc from minor but couldn't do it
    I wouldn't blame management in the sweeper set up but they just never got a performance from some big players
    The changes were slow though in Ryan Fitzgerald and of course English who made huge difference should came on earlier and mulchay should got time also

Cork played a sweeper and were excellent
    O tuama is a good corner back
    I said this before cork had no full back to cope with morrisey but finn was taken off but he won't face another tom morrisey in final and to be fair to finn this was always a huge ask

Murphy was good at corner back

Donovan was outstanding at centre back with monster frees vital times and outplayed carmody
    Lawrence was very good and is player under mulchay cit that has improved no end

McCarthy was outstanding for Cork

Brennan had good game at under twenty one but tonight struggled but deserves another look at
    Meade was terrific in touch and movement and good player and with brennan senior potential
    O leary tried hard but he's just club Player in he won't make recall to the senior team but worked hard

Leahy was terrific in work rate and attributes winning ball and scored good points and should get senior game next year

Noel McNamara is good young player and showed up well from frees
    Very good hurlers but unlikely make senior in cork have lots forwards ahead of him but is vital to this team

Cork man match was Tony Murphy
    He at full forward idea target man can win ball
    He worth look senior next year and is better than McCarthy Moylan got loads chances so worth a look at least
    Not fast but not slow either and he has mobility and hurling and senior and intermediate club is great form this year

I mentioned Kevin o Neill was good sl from under twenty one game this lad has some thing about him that is a sign of potential and should be looked at
    Terrific ball winner and two good points and has to start the next day and was brilliant for the under twenty ones
    He is half forward ball winner that with proper coaching and more training there's another level in him possibly
    Terrific work rate

Morrisey was outstanding for Limerick but o brien Killeagh st Itas came on sub and curbed him and showed tough abrasive tenacious defending and should started full back in the all ireland final
    He has potential but tonight one game doesn't mean it's true test but be fair against morrisey as sub tough ask he done well and could start the next day and should if Galway win as Brian molloy great minor will take watching
    Credit dwayne making the change early
    Very few full back would hold morrisey
    He got one breathtaking mesmeric awesome unbelievable point worth salt any game.

Great results in yes only intermediate but considering cork hurling woes and fact this was new team and management credit due to dwayne and indeed players putting pride cork hurling tonight and majority won't be senior but Murphy meade and o Neill and Leahy should be looked at next year

We managed beat limerick at least in one grade this year and vital win
    Awful loss in truth when you look at limerick bench and team and this new cork team just one game played while limerick had two and golden opportunity win all Ireland lost for Limerick considering they were straight in to all ireland final
    Again limerick hurling looked gift horse in the mouth
    With the young lads as well it was an ideal opportunity for the future limerick hurling in Byrnes English , finn, morrisey, Ryan, Lynch to get that all ireland medal as having not got one at school and minors it would be a huge monkey off their back.

It wasn't the young lads let the team down they were fine but some more expirenced lads with senior experience and colleague experience didn't perform at all to the level there well capable of performing to

This wasn't like old team of past years this was a blend of past players in Murray Fitzgerald etc played senior all ireland final eight years ago with young good talent
    It's a bad loss when much more was expected and all ireland final the prize

Harsh yes but look there's no point saying other wise as a lot of the limerick big crowd of fans thought that tonight
    Sweet victory for Cork to win a close game
    Well take it as it was badly needed.
    But it still doesn't solve huge problem cork have in hurling just really keeps with the last ten years in all our doom and gloom it's the one consistent true shining light of cork hurling.

For the final I'd start o Neill half forward and o brien full back and Danny flynn deserves start as he's absent over holiday tonight but a very good player

Galway will be tough and so too will Wexford and seen as Cork beat both last year both want revenge
    If cork loose the final and I hope we don't and I don't do moral victory but be fair Cork management have done more than expected with this team since the start of the championship with bran new team For Limerick the chance of all Ireland at any level was lost and this team tonight has the easier run and best chance to do so of all the limerick teams left

Tonight showed limerick hurling never like or is comfortable with the favourite tags and while I thought they would beat Dublin in the senior game it's actually a game they could loose as there expected as a top four team the last two years to win and limerick don't do well when it's expected in they struggle in those type of games even proven by westmeath sunday at senior.

In realiton to the post that cork would rather minor win than this that is correct and considering cork win lot all ireland intermediate titles no munster minor even we needed break minor prove were making progress

I would argue that intermediate loss tonight more set back to limerick than if the minor lost last week in limerick minor win two munster minor and winning sunday won't add anything new it's all ireland that will and this Limerick team are unlikely to win it this year in there's just better teams there but winning an all ireland intermediate final was there for them getting to final they won tonight and would be huge physiological winning benefit winning all ireland for core bunch lads could play senior in like clare winning intermediate all ireland years ago young team it would provided contuinty from minor for morrisey lynch etc and gave limerick important opportunity to add more lads from under age between now and the final but also created a buzz around limerick hurling like minor all ireland final Last year and limerick bring huge crowds them and it is hugely important some limerick team wins all ireland soon considering lost all ireland club final, minor one best ever prepared team, school won munster but no all ireland, this was imo real opportunity to do something this year minors wouldn't have had the same chance of doing and limerick hurling needs an all Ireland badly at some level and doing so would take the pressure of their under twenty one team next year where they will be huge expectation on based on the minor performance To win one, if a break through all ireland was one at any level it eases that pressure and they only ever won one title this grade so tonight was huge game.
    Limerick radio even broad cast the game and rightly so so you can see it was a huge game as they crave the all ireland.

When cork senior football won senior all ireland it had lot under twenty one winners but lot junior all ireland winners too and that helped and limerick don't have many all ireland so intermediate had real chance to fix that.

• Advertisement

http://m.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-confirm-u-21-hurling-panel-for-tipperary-test-1-6830666

Good panel and good news is all the pressure is on tippeary as many feel it may be year too early for Limerick

Ronan lynch got two goals and few points challenge last week worry is imo he'll be a forward
    Should be half back or midfield and build the middle eight around him where he can control a game
    As forward game could bypass him

http://m.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-confirm-u-21-hurling-panel-for-tipperary-test-1-6830666

Good panel and good news is all the pressure is on tippeary as many feel it may be year too early for Limerick

Ronan lynch got two goals and few points challenge last week worry is imo he'll be a forward
    Should be half back or midfield and build the middle eight around him where he can control a game
    As forward game could bypass him

Think he's going to be starting half-forward. Dean Coleman, Shane Irwin, James Carrig, Mark Buckley, Byran Griffin and William O'Donoghue were all on the panel last year but not on it this year- two of them were starters.

If I was picking the team, I'd probably have him in midfield:
    McCarthy
    Finn English Casey
    ALTC Byrnes O'Connell
    Lynch O'Donovan
    Lynch Dempsey Hegarty
    Morrissey O'Brien C. Ryan

Think Pat Ryan is going to start in midfield though, probably won't be anything like that team either.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Team named:

Nickie Quaid (Effin)

Seamus Hickey (Murroe Boher)
    Richie McCarthy (Blackrock)
    Sean O'Brien (Patrickswell)

Paudie O'Brien (Kilmallock)
    Gavin O'Mahony (Kilmallock)
    Wayne McNamara (Adare)

James Ryan (Garryspillane)
    Paul Browne (Bruff)

David Breen (Na Piarsaigh)
    Declan Hannon (Adare)
    Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)

Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)
    Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)

Dummy team? Or will they line out like that do we think?

Hickey and Hannon in for Condom and Tobin. Can't see how the sweeper will be deployed there, its a fairly orthodox 15, 6 backs, 2 mids and 6 forwards. We don't even have a "defensive" wing forward doubling as a third midfielder anymore! It's like we've gone even more oldschool than before.

It's a reasonably strong 15 on paper to be fair but its very inflexible. Not happy with the team, good enough to have a decent shot at beating Dublin but I'd summarise it as penny wise but pound foolish.

Hickey and Hannon in for Condom and Tobin.

I hope Seamus can prevent penetration from the Dublin forwards! ;)

In all seriousness though, I do agree with you. I think we will have enough to beat the Dubs who are really very ordinary bar 2-3 players. However, we need to be showing a willingness to adapt and diminish our weaknesses.

The only thing we have done that is positive is make the full back line slightly pacier by keeping Seanie back there. Our half forward line remains as immobile as ever, although Dowling is guaranteed to win clean possession half the time. Downes could catch fire at full forward, but we say this about him all the time. As talented as he is, he hasn't really brought it the way we know he can. On an inexperienced full back that it seems Dublin will be starting in Cian O'Callaghan, it might be his day.

• Advertisement

I hope Seamus can prevent penetration from the Dublin forwards! ;)

There's a joke about Richie McCarthy suffering from a lack of protection this year in there somewhere! Damn you autocorrect!!

Hickey and Hannon in for Condom and Tobin. Can't see how the sweeper will be deployed there, its a fairly orthodox 15, 6 backs, 2 mids and 6 forwards. We don't even have a "defensive" wing forward doubling as a third midfielder anymore! It's like we've gone even more oldschool than before.

It's a reasonably strong 15 on paper to be fair but its very inflexible. Not happy with the team, good enough to have a decent shot at beating Dublin but I'd summarise it as penny wise but pound foolish.

It might be smarter than it looks. Dublin have only been playing one up front for most of the league. Most teams these days are playing two or even just one inside forward. Any of our full back line could play sweeper. Richie has done it, and our two corner backs are pacey and good on the ball, either would relish the free man role. If a team actually does play an orthodox three up front it probably suits us even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

If Hickey shows a bit of a return to form it will play a big part in us having a shot of winning this. At least there is more pace in that full-back line that with Walsh in it, a bit harsh on Walsh as McCarthy has been the real weak link in it so far.

No stand-out outfield player that I can see dropping back and playing sweeper, it's entirely possible however that Dublin will drop a forward out, if they do this we need to engineer it so that Paudie O'Brien is the sweeper, as he is the weakest from a purely defensive point of view but can read game and deliver the ball well. I also wonder if we might withdraw Lynch a bit further out the field, I think it would suit him better than having a defender standing on him in the full forward line. Playing in a looser role in front of the half-forward line he can get onto ball that is broken here, the half-forward line are all big men and can win possession, it's imperative though that Hannon stands on Rushe and gives him plenty of it physically which he well able to do, if he stands off the centre-forward as he has done recently Rushe will clear all round him.

Hoping for a big game from Downes. Dublin's full-back is inexperienced and against Westmeath Downes showed glimpses of a return to form. Of all the forwards that came through from that 2011 U21 team, Downes always struck me as the one that could be box-office.

We go again.

Team named:

Nickie Quaid (Effin)

Wayne McNamara (Adare)

Paul Browne (Bruff)

Declan Hannon (Adare)

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest

Awful truly awful team in not players but system is pure only way here knows orthodox

Special so predicable and half back line o brien Wayne mac and mahony no balance unit no pace no energy

Downes good but it's case give it a lash jack limerick way again

In all fairness the team selections is awful as again only limerick team allow even camoige refuses play sweeper

But if ye win ye play Waterford with sweeper yere going have to play sweeper so this set up chop changes like musical chairs with greatest respect limerick this stage

This team unfortunately despite players going no where fast as management clearly haven't learnt a thing and defence is poorly as unit and problem is limerick win get semi final cause other won't take advantage kk will absoultey destroy them as limerick get semi final no changes this team

It's not the players fault

Doubt it's a dummy team. Think Tobin is a bit unlucky to be replaced considering the form of Breen and Hannon. I would worry about the ability of the half-forward line to win ball considering that Dublin have cleaned us out in that department before.

Same thing about our half-back line, none of them are particularly good in the air, I think Condon helped us there. At least SOB in the full-back line brings pace but Richie definitely needs protection. I think we can presume that Hickey has been carrying an injury and can't play twice in a week- I hope he's able to run this weekend.

I don't see how there is a sweeper there either, but we could definitely have a free man in the full-back line, I don't think we can allow our man to follow the Dublin man though, we need the extra protection. Maybe Lynch or Mulcahy could drop to midfield if needed.

Totally agree with you but let's be honest this team is no surprise current management and it's consistent in their team selection

Totally agree with you but let's be honest this team is no surprise current management and it's consistent in their team selection
    Don't think anyone will be surprised at all. No chance of a dummy team either, and all will almost certainly line out as selected. No forward really suited to deeper role, even something as simple as having O'Grady named at wing forward gives us so many options as he can perform role of third midfielder or even sweeper if we were to deploy one. It's not a very versatile XV at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest

Awful truly awful team in not players but system is pure only way here knows orthodox

Special so predicable and half back line o brien Wayne mac and mahony no balance unit no pace no energy

Downes good but it's case give it a lash jack limerick way again

In all fairness the team selections is awful as again only limerick team allow even camoige refuses play sweeper

But if ye win ye play Waterford with sweeper yere going have to play sweeper so this set up chop changes like musical chairs with greatest respect limerick this stage

This team unfortunately despite players going no where fast as management clearly haven't learnt a thing and defence is poorly as unit and problem is limerick win get semi final cause other won't take advantage kk will absoultey destroy them as limerick get semi final no changes this team

It's not the players fault

TTM
    is it not possible that we could be playing Galway is it in your mind even remotely possible Waterford can beat tipp?cos I think they've a chance

lim4ev wrote: »
    TTM
    is it not possible that we could be playing Galway is it in your mind even remotely possible Waterford can beat tipp?cos I think they've a chance

They could I suppose yeah but I mentioned waterford as they play sweeper when only team outside clare but can't meat clare

You asked me regards Ryan last night

Brought on too late but was okay
    Great prospect and brilliant under high ball and important player next Thursday

English was best subs by far was really good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Team named:

Nickie Quaid (Effin)

Wayne McNamara (Adare)

Paul Browne (Bruff)

Declan Hannon (Adare)

the funny thing is the limerick line ups seem to be constantly repeating themselves , i cant see the constant need for declan hannons inclusion and regardless of his cult status ritchie mcCarthy probably should have been dropped after the clare game and is having a very bad championship

i am not sure is there a whole lot of difference between the half back line here and the one that lined out against dublin in the league ,if i was a limerick supporter i would be worried of a comfort zone setting in to the squad with lads getting picked after having bad games in previous weeks

this is a huge game , dont know if TJ and co realize that if limerick win saturday and waterford win sunday the path to the all ireland will be as follows

limerick v galway in the 1/4 finals and the winners in playing waterford in the semi final

with clare/cork v tipperry in the other 1/4 final with the winners playing kilkenny

on paper this could be the best chance in a number of years of getting to the final but you would imagine a few heads will have to start rolling first

• Advertisement

The Dublin team doesn't look all that great either.

Now I didn't see the Laois match, but they also made wholesale changes after their loss so we'll see how they get on. It's unchanged from the Laois match and they did win fairly comfortably so maybe they're just very confident in it. But it is a big change from earlier in the year.

Maguire back in goal, Peter Kelly injured and now Michael Carton has walked off the panel so that means Cian O'Callaghan is at full-back rather than corner-back, although Niall Corcoran is not a bad player to bring in at all.

Rushe has returned to centre-back which is definitely his best position imo, he is really strong in the air but that experiment that lasted the whole league has failed. Don't know a huge amount about Barrett but I always thought Durkin was quite good; a new midfield pairing of McCaffrey and O'Dwyer is interesting, I wonder did O'Dwyer actually line out there, never struck me as a midfielder.

I definitely think Boland & Dillon strengthen their half-forward line, both well able to take a score and we've already seen first-hand the damage that Mark Schutte can do, Conal Keaney if he does line out at full-forward is potentially a threat, although I'd rate him more at half-forward but he could still easily rotate, act as a ballwinner but also drift deep at times. Paul Ryan is hit-and-miss, good on his day, but can be held. Good freetaker though.

Treacy had been their freetaker during the league, he's gone now, Dotsy the same, Lambert too. A lot of changes... they did beat Laois but it is a lot of changes and it doesn't sound like they are any more sure than us.

I'd still be worried about our half-back line and even our full-back line. Is Hickey fully fit? Is Richie? Are we going to give them protection? Who is going to pick up Schutte? Is our work rate going to be improved? Are we going to feed our forwards better ball? Are we going to win any puckouts? All hugely important questions.

I'm glad Quaid is back at least. Must use the bench to its full effect too- we have Tobin, Dodge, two Morrisseys, Walsh, Fitzgibbon, Reidy... if someone is playing badly pull them ashore and freshen it up.

the funny thing is the limerick line ups seem to be constantly repeating themselves , i cant see the constant need for declan hannons inclusion and regardless of his cult status ritchie mcCarthy probably should have been dropped after the clare game and is having a very bad championship

i am not sure is there a whole lot of difference between the half back line here and the one that lined out against dublin in the league ,if i was a limerick supporter i would be worried of a comfort zone setting in to the squad with lads getting picked after having bad games in previous weeks

this is a huge game , dont know if TJ and co realize that if limerick win saturday and waterford win sunday the path to the all ireland will be as follows

limerick v galway in the 1/4 finals and the winners in playing waterford in the semi final

with clare/cork v tipperry in the other 1/4 final with the winners playing kilkenny

on paper this could be the best chance in a number of years of getting to the final but you would imagine a few heads will have to start rolling first

A lot of people would agree on Hannon but I suppose the fact is that he showed what he could do last year, he was superb against Kilkenny and against Wexford too. And to be fair to him, he was far from our worst player against Tipp, at least he was getting into space and taking scores. He was poor against Clare alright and Tobin can probably feel aggrieved.

As for Richie, there really is nobody else. He had a disaster against Dublin in the league, O'Donnell caused him trouble against Clare although again, I thought he dealt with him better than some could and made one horrible, horrible mistake against Tipp in particular. He's not had a good year, lost a bit of pace but there really is no one better to replace him... and plenty of it is down to getting completely no protection. I also reckon Callanan's first goal against us would have been saved by Quaid, but that's another matter.

The comfort zone thing is perhaps a point but he did make 5 changes for the Westmeath game... it didn't sound like we covered ourselves in glory there either and Hannon did score 0-3 from the bench. As for the others, Wayne has pushed his way back in, probably deservedly; Breen is maybe a bit lucky too but it's his differing style of play that gets him there.

And yeah, the only difference in this half-back line from the one that was beaten heavily by Dublin (and were totally cleaned out) is that Gavin is in for Dan Morrissey. Which doesn't really strengthen us aerially but Gavin has a lot of experience and a lot more nous than Dan who is still inexperienced and was caught out a few times that day. But yeah, it is a worry for sure.

This is a massive, massive game. Never mind getting to the final yet... if we lose, we're out. That alone makes it a massive game. It would be an absolute disaster to be knocked out before the quarters. Would be our worst finish since the strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

We're relying on Dublin to go 2 up front so we can have SOB as sweeper, if they dont we lose, if they do a win is still far from a certainty. Not optimistic about this at all.

We're relying on Dublin to go 2 up front so we can have SOB as sweeper, if they dont we lose, if they do a win is still far from a certainty. Not optimistic about this at all.

If I was Cunningham, I'd line out man for man at least for a while because we haven't seemed able to cope with it. Certainly would give Schutte a big chance of destroying someone. The only slight advantage is that it wouldn't allow Rushe to drop behind the half-back line for them so that direct balls to Downes or Lynch or Mulcahy might bear more fruit.

But you're right, it's a worry. Still... I think we're going to do it. That's not based on any sort of facts or anything, just a gut feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

It's very harsh on Walsh, he is the only one of the starting FB line against Clare and Tipp that wasn't destroyed, seems that the lads are being picked on past glories and reputations as opposed to current form.

I mentioned it at the time of the Tipp game that it was abvious they hadn't much faith in Walsh when they never switched him over to Bubbles and he having a field day off Hickey.

Totally disagree Paddy. 15 on 15 suits us. We have difficulty when opposition teams play with a well organised system using a withdrawn forward as we don't make best use of the extra man. Id be delighted to see Dublin set up with a traditional 15, I'd back us to have more better quality players in our team and the game would be won on winning more individual battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

danganabu wrote: »
    It's very harsh on Walsh, he is the only one of the starting FB line against Clare and Tipp that wasn't destroyed, seems that the lads are being picked on past glories and reputations as opposed to current form.

I mentioned it at the time of the Tipp game that it was abvious they hadn't much faith in Walsh when they never switched him over to Bubbles and he having a field day off Hickey.

I'm afraid you are telling it like it is, were sending out a team hoping that they will hurl like the have In past matches, too many lads quoting last year kk match and last year whatever! It's obvious were going back to long ball with the half forward line named, let's hope it's a day they all click because it's Tj s last if they don't I feel,

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    I'm afraid you are telling it like it is, were sending out a team hoping that they will hurl like the have In past matches, too many lads quoting last year kk match and last year whatever! It's obvious were going back to long ball with the half forward line named, let's hope it's a day they all click because it's Tj s last if they don't I feel,

It reminds me of the days back when Richie was over us. He kept commenting that the reason Limerick weren't winning games was because there was no passion, something that was synonymous with successful Limerick teams in the past. This intangible factor was the reason why we weren't beating teams. Similar now with people saying that we can't play a short game, or we can't play with a sweeper. The reason being that it doesn't suit the traditional Limerick game, the traditional Limerick style of hurling. It's really annoying now.

We may win tomorrow, but playing inoffensive orthodox hurling will not see us making the last four. It has been proven over the last few years that new approaches are required in order to win titles, and we are not going to somehow subvert this trend playing the way we always have.

It reminds me of the days back when Richie was over us. He kept commenting that the reason Limerick weren't winning games was because there was no passion, something that was synonymous with successful Limerick teams in the past. This intangible factor was the reason why we weren't beating teams. Similar now with people saying that we can't play a short game, or we can't play with a sweeper. The reason being that it doesn't suit the traditional Limerick game, the traditional Limerick style of hurling. It's really annoying now.

We may win tomorrow, but playing inoffensive orthodox hurling will not see us making the last four. It has been proven over the last few years that new approaches are required in order to win titles, and we are not going to somehow subvert this trend playing the way we always have.
    Outstanding post and I had these sentiments the last three years here with limerick hurling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

If we bring our A game we'll win this one by 10+ points. Dublin don't have the natural hurlers and I've seen nothing from Cunningham to suggest he is capable of taking them forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement