Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Totally disagree Paddy. 15 on 15 suits us. We have difficulty when opposition teams play with a well organised system using a withdrawn forward as we don't make best use of the extra man. Id be delighted to see Dublin set up with a traditional 15, I'd back us to have more better quality players in our team and the game would be won on winning more individual battles.

It's an interesting point and in general I'd say it's true but with the form of McCarthy & Hickey being so far below what they can do, I wouldn't bet on them beating Schutte/Keaney in a one-on-one battle. And a key aspect of 15-on-15 hurling is winning aerial ball. Where are the ballwinners in the Limerick team? Rushe would clean any of our forwards in the air, presumably we're going to try and hit Dowling and Breen and keep it away from the middle. And we also have no ballwinners in our half-back line... it's weird, Limerick don't actually have the players to play that kinda style.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It's an interesting point and in general I'd say it's true but with the form of McCarthy & Hickey being so far below what they can do, I wouldn't bet on them beating Schutte/Keaney in a one-on-one battle. And a key aspect of 15-on-15 hurling is winning aerial ball. Where are the ballwinners in the Limerick team? Rushe would clean any of our forwards in the air, presumably we're going to try and hit Dowling and Breen and keep it away from the middle. And we also have no ballwinners in our half-back line... it's weird, Limerick don't actually have the players to play that kinda style.
    I'd agree

Ball winner are McCarthy breen and Downes and Wayne and Dowling can win ball and Ryan

The problem is lack pace middle third imo and for all Wayne and Breen ball winning ability over all game is poor enough

I'd agree

Ball winner are McCarthy breen and Downes and Wayne and Dowling can win ball and Ryan

The problem is lack pace middle third imo and for all Wayne and Breen ball winning ability over all game is poor enough

See I wouldn't call Wayne or Breen particularly good ballwinners, in terms of beating an opponent in the air regularly. Wayne generally goes up with his hurley... I've criticised him at times and he isn't the fanciest hurler in the world, his striking can be poor, but he is very strong with and without the ball and is good at coming out of rucks and is quicker than our other wing-backs.

Breen similarly breaks a lot of ball but doesn't catch as much cleanly as a man of his size should. What he brings is powerful running and work rate but if he's not fully fit, he's not effective at all.

Hickey is a superb ballwinner generally, Richie is good on his day. I'd agree with both Downes & Dowling and Hannon can be on his day but is also capable of being cleaned out. Ryan... I'm not sure I've ever seen him beat a man in the air but in terms of winning dirty ball, we have no one better. Lynch has also shown he is able too but is still learning at this level and the physicality of Dublin could cause him problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

In a 15 v 15 situation our backs are not in as much space against opposition forwards. That helps us. You also have to remember it gives us more opportunity to stretch defences at the other end.

I wonder whether we're making too much of the form of Richie. May be a slight dip. He marshalled O'Donnell well and not even JJ at his peak would have held Callanan when he had an utterly dominant midfield and half back line, and an extra man, sending perfect ball into him in acres of space. Ok Richie made some mistakes and may not be at his very best but no full back could live with that. I suspect Hickey has been playing injured, why else was he given the week off for the Westmeath game but started again for today.

I hope these two can improve to what they're capable of, and Hannon too. You need your best players playing at their peak and these are three of our best that have not been close to their best thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

One thing I want to see today is for Hannon to push up on Rushe and compete. If given the freedom of the park Rushe will go a long way towards beating us on his own.

• Advertisement

One thing I want to see today is for Hannon to push up on Rushe and compete. If given the freedom of the park Rushe will go a long way towards beating us on his own.

One thing you like all limerick fans need to see is tactical awareness that this management doesn't seem to understand the concepts of and more interested in hell and fury hurling and dripping lads get performance is only improvement they know how to get

Beating Dublin orthodox may happen but it's useless team development as ye better hope waterford beat tipp in yes may have chance all ireland final but ye meek kk they will absoultey hose this limerick team and ye need to pray and pray and pray for rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

One thing you like all limerick fans need to see is tactical awareness that this management doesn't seem to understand the concepts of and more interested in hell and fury hurling and dripping lads get performance is only improvement they know how to get

Beating Dublin orthodox may happen but it's useless team development as ye better hope waterford beat tipp in yes may have chance all ireland final but ye meek kk they will absoultey hose this limerick team and ye need to pray and pray and pray for rain

Thanks for the insight pal.

In a 15 v 15 situation our backs are not in as much space against opposition forwards. That helps us. You also have to remember it gives us more opportunity to stretch defences at the other end.

I wonder whether we're making too much of the form of Richie. May be a slight dip. He marshalled O'Donnell well and not even JJ at his peak would have held Callanan when he had an utterly dominant midfield and half back line, and an extra man, sending perfect ball into him in acres of space. Ok Richie made some mistakes and may not be at his very best but no full back could live with that. I suspect Hickey has been playing injured, why else was he given the week off for the Westmeath game but started again for today.

I hope these two can improve to what they're capable of, and Hannon too. You need your best players playing at their peak and these are three of our best that have not been close to their best thus far.

The Richie thing is possibly overstated, but he was absolutely roasted by Schutte in the league. I thought he did alright against SOD but maybe he was a bit lucky that SOD didn't take him on more??

Really a lot of it comes down to that missed ball for Tipp's 2nd goal, a horrible mistake that he never would have made last year.

Hickey has probably been worse and I do believe he has been injured, but do we know that a week off will cure his woes? He hasn't looked right since he went off in the league.

Thanks for the insight pal.

No problem buddy any time very welcome

The Richie thing is possibly overstated, but he was absolutely roasted by Schutte in the league. I thought he did alright against SOD but maybe he was a bit lucky that SOD didn't take him on more??

Really a lot of it comes down to that missed ball for Tipp's 2nd goal, a horrible mistake that he never would have made last year.

Hickey has probably been worse and I do believe he has been injured, but do we know that a week off will cure his woes? He hasn't looked right since he went off in the league.
    I'd agree but he's getting no protection from half back and he's just under incessant consistent pressure

He must get support from he's defence

• Advertisement

I'd agree but he's getting no protection from half back and he's just under incessant consistent pressure

He must get support from he's defence

Well, that is also true. But it still doesn't excuse that mistake. He can't be allowed to mark Schutte... if we had a free man, I'd probably prefer it to be Richie. He's a fine hurler, reads the game pretty well and Hickey and SOB both have the pace to be man markers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Unfortunately, looks like it wil be a wet day, this will help level the playing field, and suit both Dublin and Cork.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Unfortunately, looks like it wil be a wet day, this will help level the playing field, and suit both Dublin and Cork.

it helps Dublin and physically imposing limerick who like route one give it lash jack down the centre bombing ball after ball down downes and wet day suits this hit everything that moves and anything doesn't make it move that limerick will bring to the table
    Wet day ball is wet and skid slowly on surface
    Fast day ball moved like lightning
    Limerick can't cope with fast teams
    It rains it is limerick type of day suit there style

Limerick as clare cork tipp proved exposed real lack pace when teams play width ptich

Cork team forwards that would be fast old school tippy hurling prefer fast game of free style hurling

Clare will love wet day as their swarm tactics around middle third be key and Cork don't like war attrition

Wet days suit war attrition just look kk v limerick when limerick were truly blessed it was monsoon weather now compare pace kk tipp played at none one but two all ireland final

Tipperary's brought pace to limerick game and limerick were clueless how counter it
    I genuinely don't mean be blunt but look it is what it is no point in saying other wise

it helps Dublin and physically imposing limerick who like route one give it lash jack down the centre bombing ball after ball down downes and wet day suits this hit everything that moves and anything doesn't make it move that limerick will bring to the table
    Wet day ball is wet and skid slowly on surface
    Fast day ball moved like lightning
    Limerick can't cope with fast teams
    It rains it is limerick type of day suit there style

Limerick as clare cork tipp proved exposed real lack pace when teams play width ptich

Cork team forwards that would be fast old school tippy hurling prefer fast game of free style hurling

Clare will love wet day as their swarm tactics around middle third be key and Cork don't like war attrition

Wet days suit war attrition just look kk v limerick when limerick were truly blessed it was monsoon weather now compare pace kk tipp played at none one but two all ireland final

Tipperary's brought pace to limerick game and limerick were clueless how counter it
    I genuinely don't mean be blunt but look it is what it is no point in saying other wise

I disagree. I'm making Cork favourites now for the 2nd match. Limerick should still win easily enough, maybe down to about 6 points now. Dublin hurlers don't have a first touch. The rain and muck would suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Looking for a performance today, struggling to win a cripple fight against Dublin wont cut it. No excuses today, its sh*t or get off the pot.

Looking for a performance today, struggling to win a cripple fight against Dublin wont cut it. No excuses today, its sh*t or get off the pot.

Agreed, a loss and it must be TJ's head on a plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

TTM

What are your predictions on this evening's 2 games in Thurles, and who will win the Munster final tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Agreed, a loss and it must be TJ's head on a plate.

If Kilkenny had the same attitude Cody would be have been gone after 1999.It is neither the managers nor the players fault, it is the whole Limerick attitude this sublime belief that they do not have to take there hurling seriously until the championship starts and that goes equally for the vast majority of LImerick fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

That's a terrible match, in front but that's not saying much, need to win by 10 points or we're wasting our time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Very poor game and very poor ref. Downes and dowling have been taken down blatantly 3 times and nothing given. Forwards aren't getting to the ball fast enough allowing dublin to pass it around at the back. Dublin are playing very badly and yet we're only ahead by 4. Must do better in the second half

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Genuinely embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

TTM vindicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

Where do you go from here, it's not like the team can keeping pulling positives from the year before now

Orizio wrote: »
    TTM vindicated.

No.

The players lost that game, hitting so many simple wides in the first half.

Then at the very end, the ball control just wasn't good enough to secure a draw. Better team lost, but credit to Dublin for giving it everything.

I thought it be close but said limerick probably win everything everything said regards Ryan was nothing personal but proven today

Awful manager take off lad like dowling who excellent work rate left Hannon on breen bar goal top long

No way should course Wayne started

Tobin poor

This was awful cards maybe not Dublin but limerick would be beaten
    Dublin poorer players but way way better manager cunningjham in got every ounce poor team

Dublin wont go further

Fate came back bit limerick in hurling in shafted cunningjham for Ryan and cunningjham knock Ryan out championship you couldn't make it up

Now huge problem Limerick have as can't sack Ryan with three year term

Some fans not all staunch staunch fans Ryan despite clear clear signs all two year now they have no choice realise he's poor manager

Yere lucky in way be beaten as kk would hose this team

I'm delighted cunningjham being cork man but am gutted another way limerick genuine fans and player as management failed them badly all year

Huge huge huge set back limerick hurling

Orizio wrote: »
    TTM vindicated.

I get no ounce joy belive you me this

But few here who hugely hugely went over line debate and critsed me hugely last two years when all say was clear day hopefully see all I was doing call spade spade

Nothing more nothing less

This is no surprise me but thought they beat Dublin but no way win all Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Listen lads, TJs tactics and subs were poor yes but the players lost the game, not TJ. Dublin were there for the taking and we were just tragic. What was hickey doing at the end!!!! Downes was the only shining light from the full forward line. Lynch and Mulcahy were poor. So disappointing.

Now to watch Cork Clare hopefully put on a better match...

No.

The players lost that game, hitting so many simple wides in the first half.

Then at the very end, the ball control just wasn't good enough to secure a draw. Better team lost, but credit to Dublin for giving it everything.

You say cork win you really me worried as your nearly always so far off mark with respect

I hope cork exceptional rule

Look have courtesy admit you were wrong wrong wrong regards cunningjham and I told you huge loss limerick and ten times better Ryan

Limerick better team but Ryan made awful school boy mistakes management

I was right cunningjham good manager but Dublin wont go much further as huge work be done but he's done well year one and will stay year two

You were wrong with kilmsllock wrong with Allen wrong with cunningjham and wrong with Ryan with respect despite logic showing other wise

Admit you got it wrong with cunningjham

I get no ounce joy belive you me this

But few here who hugely hugely went over line debate and critsed me hugely last two years when all say was clear day hopefully see all I was doing call spade spade

Nothing more nothing less

This is no surprise me but thought they beat Dublin but no way win all Ireland

I think everyone knew that. Tipp & KK are well ahead of everyone. This was poor all round, we lost to a limited team, so heads should roll.

• Advertisement

Colemania wrote: »
    Listen lads, TJs tactics and subs were poor yes but the players lost the game, not TJ. Dublin were there for the taking and we were just tragic. What was hickey doing at the end!!!! Downes was the only shining light from the full forward line. Lynch and Mulcahy were poor. So disappointing.

Now to watch Cork Clare hopefully put on a better match...
    Are you having a laugh

Management only reason they lost taking off dowling over Hannon starting Wayne mac bring on tobin

Breen bar goal was awful

Teams defence against awful but poor Dublin forwards should be cleaned three goals

No plan a or b

Team clearly as westmeath proved lacks energy belive Ryan

Seriously players not that bad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement