Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Waterford are missing Gary Hurney.

He might be the biggest loss of any player in the country relative to his team. Brendan Murphy from Carlow would challenge him for the honour but can't think of anyone else who'd be such a big loss for any team.

As such - and especially if Kelly and Donovan are fit to play - Limerick should win by 4+ IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Limerick should win handy, not much confidence in the waterford team since Gary Hurney has been on the injury list, and the fact it is in Limerick.

Downplaying your chances much....not much confidence in the limerick team with John Galvin out :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Limerick football team to face Waterford Sunday May 20th, 3.30pm
    1. Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffin's)
    2. Johnny McCarthy (St.Kieran's)
    3. Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey's)
    4. Lorcan O'Dwyer (Pallasgreen)
    5. Steven Lavin (Adare)
    6. John Riordan (Fr. Casey's)
    7. Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen)
    8. Thomas Lee (Ballylanders)
    9. Paul Kinnerk (Monaleen)
    10. Eoin Barry (Dromcollogher-Broadford)
    11. Eoghan O'Connor (St. Mary's/Sean Finn's)
    12. Seanie Buckley (Dromcollogher-Broadford)
    13. Ger Collins (Monaleen CAPTAIN)
    14. Seamus O'Carroll (Cappagh Kilcornan)
    15. Ian Ryan (St. Senan's)

Thoughts??

Obviously Galvin is the major loss, really weakens our team but Jim Donovan and Stephen Kelly are only fit enough to make the bench... There's a debut for Barry in place of Kelly, and Kinnerk is a fairly capable player in midfield, him and Tom Lee should do okay. Not sure if Lucey is dropped or not fit, but he's not playing anyway, all the same it's a decent enough backline. Very energetic half-back line who will do a lot of work and help the attack.

Plenty of pace in the forward line- and if we can get good ball into that inside forward line, they'll do damage. Seamus O'Carroll has a great eye for a goal, and Collins and Ryan are both quality players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Can't believe its championship time again.This is my first time on the Limerick GAA thread since last year,I missed you guys :) Hopefully will be a win on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Any info on who's on the bench for Limerick this weekend?

• Advertisement

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Any info on who's on the bench for Limerick this weekend?

Haven't heard/seen anything... I think Kelly and Donovan are but beyond that I don't know. I assume it's the usual crowd, depending on injuries. Cooke, Joy, Lucey, O'Meara, maybe Lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

keane2097 wrote: »
    Waterford are missing Gary Hurney.

He might be the biggest loss of any player in the country relative to his team. Brendan Murphy from Carlow would challenge him for the honour but can't think of anyone else who'd be such a big loss for any team.

As such - and especially if Kelly and Donovan are fit to play - Limerick should win by 4+ IMO.

I hear what your saying, but I reckon someone like Donie Shine for Roscommon would equally be a huge loss. I know Kerry have an awesome forward line, but you'd imagine teams would be a lot happier even if just Gooch was injured.

I reckon Murphy would be a bigger loss though because he is just pure class, and Waterford have a better team than Carlow in my opinion, despite what happened in the league and I also think Hurney is slightly over-rated. Don't get me wrong, very good footballer but I wouldn't have him as the best footballer in Waterford if some of the hurlers still played football for the County.

Think his absence is enough to give Limerick the vote coupled with them being at home. Maybe if Tommy Prender and Whyte were back longer we'd have a better chance but I just don't see it.

Think we should win the Junior though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Limerick GAA is in crisis. How many people care about this match or even know it's on?

I'd say a crowd of about 400 for it.

liammur wrote: »
    Limerick GAA is in crisis. How many people care about this match or even know it's on?

Well I'm really annoyed I'm not at it, couldn't get a lift in. People tend to turn away from the footballers if they're not doing really well in any case.

Still, hope they win it.

1-5 to 0-7 at half-time, Limerick in front.

Waterford seem like the better team, they've done most of the attacking and all 7 points have come from play. Limerick's defence has been very poor, Tommy Stack is really angry about it. Not winning enough primary possession either, the short kickouts are working though.

Seamus O'Carroll got the goal, and he scored a point too, his pace is causing problems. Ian Ryan got the rest, 3 frees and one from play. Ian Corbett from NCW is on aswell, good young player.

I'd hope Limerick can hold on and win, but they'll have to tighten up defensively and take their chances in attack, start making better options.

• Advertisement

Final Score: Limerick 2-12 Waterford 0-7

Very comfortable in the end, even though it was very edgy up to the last 5 or so minutes. Waterford were very poor in attack though, they didn't score at all in the second half, which is just not good enough in Championship football. That said, the Limerick defence really stepped it up. They went from being overly loose to being like a brick wall.

We'll need to improve before playing Clare, but at least there's potential there.

Ian Ryan scored 1-7, 0-6 from frees. Seamie O'Carroll got 1-1 before he got taken off. Stephen Kelly replaced him getting 0-1, Ger Collins got 0-2 and John Cooke got 0-1 when he came on too.

When we run at defences, we have a real goal threat though, plenty of pace, lots of people who want to score goals.

I think they announced on the tannoy there was over 2000? But maybe I misheard.

Thought Stephen Lavin had a good game today. Backs were excellent in second half. Too many wides for my liking in the first half. Very happy with the result though :)

panda100 wrote: »

Thought Stephen Lavin had a good game today. Backs were excellent in second half. Too many wides for my liking in the first half. Very happy with the result though :)

John Riordan sounded good too, and Tommy Stack was raving about Lorcan O'Dwyer in the second half, what did you think?

And how did Corbett and O'Meara do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Were you at it or just surmising??
    Attendance was something like 2,400 - 2,600 which is about what one would expect for a game between these two counties at G/Grounds.
    If played in NCW (which it should be) it would attract maybe 5000-6000
    Not sure if Limerick GAA is in crisis, although some people might be glad if it was.!! it's just that its seen to be "uncool" to follow the footballers as its unlikely that they will win any trophy. same could be said for 25 counties this year. what i can say is that these bunch of lads have given great commitment over the years and always give 100% on the pitch in spite of some appaling refeering decisions and similar treatment from the media,particularly the Sunday Game panel (Tony Davis excluded)
    Players like Lavin,McCarthy,Lucey,Galvin,Ranahan and Collins would make the starting 15 of any "top" county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

washman3 wrote: »
    W
    Not sure if Limerick GAA is in crisis, although some people might be glad if it was.!! it's just that its seen to be "uncool" to follow the footballers as its unlikely that they will win any trophy..

Agreed, same could be said for the hurlers but they still get the crowd. Limerick look good going forward, a daycent footballing team, shouldnt be fazed by Clare in IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

panda100 wrote: »

2341 to be exact, if my memory serves me correctly :P :P
    Thought the backs were brilliant in the second half but throughout the first half and particularly when Waterford got those first 2 points from play (which were daaycent) and always seemed to be attacking, I was getting worried. Limerick were scoring barely anything (bar the goal and possibly a point, bleeeh bad memory on my part) from play in the first half.. if the Waterford backline weren't so careless, it could have been them in the driving seat come start of the second half.

And one thing I noticed was that alot of the time, the Limk forwards wouldn't take their points. And when they had a chance to score, they just handpassed it off to someone else and it ended up going wide or loss of possesion.

Too many wides for both sides.
    Not a great game at all but a win is a win.

2341 to be exact, if my memory serves me correctly :P :P
    Thought the backs were brilliant in the second half but throughout the first half and particularly when Waterford got those first 2 points from play (which were daaycent) and always seemed to be attacking, I was getting worried. Limerick were scoring barely anything (bar the goal and possibly a point, bleeeh bad memory on my part) from play in the first half.. if the Waterford backline weren't so careless, it could have been them in the driving seat come start of the second half.

And one thing I noticed was that alot of the time, the Limk forwards wouldn't take their points. And when they had a chance to score, they just handpassed it off to someone else and it ended up going wide or loss of possesion.

Too many wides for both sides.
    Not a great game at all but a win is a win.

Limerick scored 1-1 in the first half from play and as far as I could tell from the radio, they both came from mistakes in the Waterford full-back line/goalkeeper.

You'd hope that when Kelly is playing from the start that he'll help our scoring prowess, I barely heard Eoghan O'Connor's name mentioned at all in the first 60 minutes too. Same with Ger Collins, you'd expect him to knock over a few points (I know he finished with 2, but they came when he game was over as a contest).

Agree. Did you see the way Ger Collins hesitated in the first half when he had a clear shot at goal.That second hesitation meant a Waterford player catching up with him and winning back possession. I've noticed that with a lot of Limerick players.They don't have the confidence to just take the score themselves. I think the team is in need of a sports psychologist, especially if we're up against the big guns in the Munster final.

Hopefully ,this win will give them a bit of confidence as that is what they need now moving forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Just a heads up that Iarnrod Eireann are doing a special fare of €6.50 one way, Limerick to Thurles on Sunday for the Hurling.http://journeyplanner.irishrail.ie/bin/query.exe/en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

• Advertisement

That's actually really good. Sadly, I'll be in Athlone rather than Thurles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Got my train tickets today, great value in fairness. Still feels like we're going to a funeral Sunday given some of the reports from training last week. :mad:

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Got my train tickets today, great value in fairness. Still feels like we're going to a funeral Sunday given some of the reports from training last week. :mad:

I suppose considering 2009, we have to be wary.

Things don't sound good, but I remain hopeful, always have done. We have plenty of talented players... hopefully the rumours aren't true.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I suppose considering 2009, we have to be wary.

Things don't sound good, but I remain hopeful, always have done. We have plenty of talented players... hopefully the rumours aren't true.

I never thought we were gonna win, but thought we would have a good crack off them and make it to Croke Park through the back door. But when half your squad is unfit and the other is not turning up for training you wonder why we bother wasting our money at times.

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    I never thought we were gonna win, but thought we would have a good crack off them and make it to Croke Park through the back door. But when half your squad is unfit and the other is not turning up for training you wonder why we bother wasting our money at times.

Well we'll see...I mean the league campaign wasn't disastrous, I hardly think they've gone backwards from there. Of course if we're only at the same level, we'll still get beaten but I'm going to wait till the game is over before I judge them.

I just want to see a bit of pride.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I just want to see a bit of pride.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm from Tipp and I expect a close game. First Sunday of the championship for the lads and there'll be a lot of tension in the air at Semple, Limerick are never an easy team to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

A draw.??? Hannon comes off the bench and scores a goal to level the game.!! replay in G/Grounds on Sat. week.!! with Lar named at full forward for Tipp. Extra time to be played if required.!!! :)
    (what are the odds)

washman3 wrote: »
    A draw.??? Hannon comes off the bench and scores a goal to level the game.!! replay in G/Grounds on Sat. week.!! with Lar named at full forward for Tipp. Extra time to be played if required.!!! :)
    (what are the odds)

I'd love that to happen, I could go to the replay :D

You never know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

Limerick (SHC v Tipperary) -

1 Nickie Quaid,
    2 Stephen Walsh,
    3 Richie McCarthy,
    4 Tom Condon,
    5 Wayne McNamara,
    6 Donal O Grady,