Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

That was Ronan Lynch, from half forward. A few weeks back now. Cian Lynch is unlikely to be corner forward but won't be "a sweeper".

I never said anything regards Cian lynch

I clearly meant Ronan lynch as post last week I I said Ronan started and got goals not Cian think was actually Thursday or so I said it and Ronan was one be picked as forward

Everyone knew Cian would be a forward

Cian won't be corner but drop half forward line probably cover space Ronan leaves when he drops midfield etc that zone

Lynch Byrnes morrisey are in form of their lives and will take some stopping if limerick give them a platform

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The Tipp team to face us:

1 Paul Maher (Moyne Templetuohy)
    2 Jack Peters (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    3 Michael Breen (Ballina)
    4 Tom Fox (Eire Óg Annacarty)
    5 Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    6 Barry Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg)
    7 Tomás Hamill (Moyne Templetuohy)
    8 Bill Maher (Kilsheelan Kilcash)
    9 Stephen Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
    10 Billy McCarthy (Thurles Sarsfields)
    11 Paul Shanahan (Upperchurch Drombane)
    12 Willie Connors (Kildangan)
    13 Tadhg Gallagher (Kildangan)
    14 Colin O’Riordan (JK Brackens)
    15 John McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

All of the players from 1-9 started the All-Ireland minor final replay in 2012, which they won easily. John McGrath and Tadhg Gallagher are the only forwards who started that game. We all know Colin O'Riordan is class, but I don't know much about the half-forwards.

Breen, Ronan Maher, Hamill,, Bill Maher and John McGrath have all featured for their seniors and Colin O'Riordan was called up to the seniors in the run-up to the All-Ireland last year but is probably a better footballer. And even the others- Gallagher, Cahill, Heffernan, Fox- still very good players. It's a strong team for sure.

We've got 8 starters from the 'Hawkeye' game of 2013, 5 last played minor in 2012 and Robbie Hanley only played minor last year, David McCarthy never played minor for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Fireball07 wrote: »
    The Tipp team to face us:

1 Paul Maher (Moyne Templetuohy)
    2 Jack Peters (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    3 Michael Breen (Ballina)
    4 Tom Fox (Eire Óg Annacarty)
    5 Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    6 Barry Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg)
    7 Tomás Hamill (Moyne Templetuohy)
    8 Bill Maher (Kilsheelan Kilcash)
    9 Stephen Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
    10 Billy McCarthy (Thurles Sarsfields)
    11 Paul Shanahan (Upperchurch Drombane)
    12 Willie Connors (Kildangan)
    13 Tadhg Gallagher (Kildangan)
    14 Colin O’Riordan (JK Brackens)
    15 John McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

All of the players from 1-9 started the All-Ireland minor final replay in 2012, which they won easily. John McGrath and Tadhg Gallagher are the only forwards who started that game. We all know Colin O'Riordan is class, but I don't know much about the half-forwards.

Breen, Ronan Maher, Hamill,, Bill Maher and John McGrath have all featured for their seniors and Colin O'Riordan was called up to the seniors in the run-up to the All-Ireland last year but is probably a better footballer. And even the others- Gallagher, Cahill, Heffernan, Fox- still very good players. It's a strong team for sure.

We've got 8 starters from the 'Hawkeye' game of 2013, 5 last played minor in 2012 and Robbie Hanley only played minor last year, David McCarthy never played minor for Limerick.

disappointing Barry Nash and Le touché Cosgrave not playing, Cosgrave was involved, perhaps he's injured but don't think Nash has been involved at all, Hegarty wing back? Thought he was a forward, strong tipp team, we'll be doing well to keep with them...kiely is a very good coach so won't have fear of the sideline...whether the minors from last few years can step up and integrate with Byrnes, O'connell and kob will tell a lot for us...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    disappointing Barry Nash and Le touché Cosgrave not playing, Cosgrave was involved, perhaps he's injured but don't think Nash has been involved at all, Hegarty wing back? Thought he was a forward, strong tipp team, we'll be doing well to keep with them...kiely is a very good coach so won't have fear of the sideline...whether the minors from last few years can step up and integrate with Byrnes, O'connell and kob will tell a lot for us...

Shít, I didn't realise that but you're right, Nash hasn't been involved at all. He's been playing for South Liberties alright. Maybe he couldn't commit to training while the Leaving Cert was on but you'd think he'd be good enough. Although I've heard that it's the two Ryans who have been the standouts for South Liberties this season.

I'd say Hegarty is well able to fit in at half-back. I've never seen him play there but he's generally a ball-winning wing-forward, I'd say he'd be okay at half-back.... most of this team are very versatile. I would agree that I thought La Touche Cosgrave would be starting but as you say, Kiely is a good coach and got to trust in him.

Shít, I didn't realise that but you're right, Nash hasn't been involved at all. He's been playing for South Liberties alright. Maybe he couldn't commit to training while the Leaving Cert was on but you'd think he'd be good enough. Although I've heard that it's the two Ryans who have been the standouts for South Liberties this season.

I'd say Hegarty is well able to fit in at half-back. I've never seen him play there but he's generally a ball-winning wing-forward, I'd say he'd be okay at half-back.... most of this team are very versatile. I would agree that I thought La Touche Cosgrave would be starting but as you say, Kiely is a good coach and got to trust in him.

Saw on another site that altc got injured against Clare so couldn't make the panel, as you say maybe with the leaving Nash couldn't commit, no harm to let the guy get a good leaving and play colleges in the autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Some session saturday night I'd say when the invonvenience of the championship was lifted from the seniors shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Some session saturday night I'd say when the invonvenience of the championship was lifted from the seniors shoulders.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

^
    And you're gone for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

We could do worse than have someone like Donal Moloney of Clare if Davy aint going to move.

shockframe wrote: »
    We could do worse than have someone like Donal Moloney of Clare if Davy aint going to move.

Only caught the first half but was thinking the same thing!

• Advertisement

Only caught the first half but was thinking the same thing!

Top top coach in fairness to him
    He's worth a look at to see if available

Didn't see the game but a great result for Clare.

I will say though that teams who have lots of seniors involved often underperform, wouldn't be training together as much. Obviously Clare themselves are the exception and Moloney & O'Connor are clearly serious managers, even though they had a lot of talent available too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

http://limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/clubs-demand-hard-questions-asked-in-limerick-hurling-review-1-6852955

I guess the meeting a few days back will form a good foundation for the review with TJ, some of the important questions will be addressed but I'd add a few more myself (stuff I've already posted in the last few weeks, won't repeat myself)

I've called Oliver Mann a clown on a few occasions for various reasons but to be fair I'm glad to see his conclusion on the damage our stay in 1B is doing us. It has to be the main priority for any manager next year be that TJ or otherwise. It will be a tough task with Clare down there with us and particularly given we'll more than likely have to get a result from Ennis. We've been too quick to forgive unacceptable league campaigns once they are followed by respectable championship campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

http://limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/clubs-demand-hard-questions-asked-in-limerick-hurling-review-1-6852955

I guess the meeting a few days back will form a good foundation for the review with TJ, some of the important questions will be addressed but I'd add a few more myself (stuff I've already posted in the last few weeks, won't repeat myself)

I've called Oliver Mann a clown on a few occasions for various reasons but to be fair I'm glad to see his conclusion on the damage our stay in 1B is doing us. It has to be the main priority for any manager next year be that TJ or otherwise. It will be a tough task with Clare down there with us and particularly given we'll more than likely have to get a result from Ennis. We've been too quick to forgive unacceptable league campaigns once they are followed by respectable championship campaigns.

1A can be the aim but there also has to be a significant element of rebuilding the team on next year's league. At a minimum we would ideally want to add a corner back a half back and a half forward or inside forward. At a max you could make a case for an entirely new half back line. Significant challenge for a manager to rebuild a team while focusing on results in 1B, but not impossible.

Yes getting out of 1b should be the priority for next year, and that doesn't mean playing the 'first' team from the first game, I think we'd be better off bringing in some of the hungry, younger guys, especially the physical ones, to start, such as English, Byrnes, O'connell, r lynch odonovan and Morrissey x2, get some competition for places esp full back, Centreback...to be honest what would help us here is if the club teams are finished up early ie. Not winning Munster club
    Although there is a review of the league which I think is for next year, the most alarming is a proposal for a 7 team 1a and 1b which would leave us adrift next year with only Wexford for company...with our record we'd contrive to lose to Offaly and blow promotion.
    Anyways with the result in u21 last night shows that sometimes better to have a panel without senior interference, very strong looking tipp though who'll be all out to gain revenge on Clare for last year...

Yes getting out of 1b should be the priority for next year, and that doesn't mean playing the 'first' team from the first game, I think we'd be better off bringing in some of the hungry, younger guys, especially the physical ones, to start, such as English, Byrnes, O'connell, r lynch odonovan and Morrissey x2, get some competition for places esp full back, Centreback...to be honest what would help us here is if the club teams are finished up early ie. Not winning Munster club
    Although there is a review of the league which I think is for next year, the most alarming is a proposal for a 7 team 1a and 1b which would leave us adrift next year with only Wexford for company...with our record we'd contrive to lose to Offaly and blow promotion.
    Anyways with the result in u21 last night shows that sometimes better to have a panel without senior interference, very strong looking tipp though who'll be all out to gain revenge on Clare for last year...

I understood Limerick's and possibly other counties' proposal was for two equal groups of 7 for the league, with the top two or three from each group then going into semis/quarter finals. This is the ideal set up IMO and guarantees each team three home and three away games.

On introducing players, yes absolutely. This has to be done on form though to ensure performances and wins and with a sufficient number of established players as well to maintain shape I would expect.

I understood Limerick's and possibly other counties' proposal was for two equal groups of 7 for the league, with the top two or three from each group then going into semis/quarter finals. This is the ideal set up IMO and guarantees each team three home and three away games.

On introducing players, yes absolutely. This has to be done on form though to ensure performances and wins and with a sufficient number of established players as well to maintain shape I would expect.
    That sounds better with 2 equal groups, although offaly or Antrim will get a trimming in the next few years and the cries will be, what good is being beaten by 20 points doing for them, there should be a div 1 and 2 and we're back to square 1 again!
    The number of games in the league is too few too, and no chance to try new players as the league is nearly over by the time Fitzgibbon is finished

So this is our 4th big match in the week, we're 0/3 so far and if we lose this one, I'm going to be pretty pissed off. And tbh, I always thought this was the one we were least likely to win (although I gave us a fair chance in all of them).

So this is our 4th big match in the week, we're 0/3 so far and if we lose this one, I'm going to be pretty pissed off. And tbh, I always thought this was the one we were least likely to win (although I gave us a fair chance in all of them).
    This is the one with everything that happened I have feelings ye may pull it off
    Weather means it's going to be close dog fight war of attrition and home advantage will be a help but this limerick team has wonderful hurlers and while tipp were my favourite win munster I just think maybe like clare after all losses other grades huge huge performance and ye lost one yes expected win this is one tipp have more expirence but I beginning think ye could win this

Team good team named and while it's early for some just out of minor that my only worry but morrisey played senior club and ul intermediate experience like Byrnes and lynch senior experience with Ronan senior club think ye have a great chance

And all the pressure is on tippeary in three years for some team with them being favourite

I hope limerick win

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

12 point lead thrown away there in the under 21s. O'Connell partly at fault for both goals. English not showing any reason why he should be near the senior team either.

• Advertisement

This is the one with everything that happened I have feelings ye may pull it off
    Weather means it's going to be close dog fight war of attrition and home advantage will be a help but this limerick team has wonderful hurlers and while tipp were my favourite win munster I just think maybe like clare after all losses other grades huge huge performance and ye lost one yes expected win this is one tipp have more expirence but I beginning think ye could win this

Team good team named and while it's early for some just out of minor that my only worry but morrisey played senior club and ul intermediate experience like Byrnes and lynch senior experience with Ronan senior club think ye have a great chance

And all the pressure is on tippeary in three years for some team with them being favourite

I hope limerick win
    Epic epic devastating Sensational win truly delighted ye

Congratulations
    As I said before hand felt ye were going to do

Outstanding coached and kiely done great job and as said day one I rated this management and ross Corbett who worked different counties camoige team kerry minor outstanding physical trainee and showed tonight

I always said limerick has hurlers just need be managed

McCarthy Byrnes morrisey lynch absolutely Sensational and all every player sub were great

Pat Ryan what a game
    Well done congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Great win considering they went a man down early enough in the second half, showed real determination to stick ahead when it looked like it was Tipp's game. Pat Ryan was immense at midfield, pace, athleticism, skill and work-rate in abundance, would have been my man of the match, O'Donovan excellent also. Morrissey did well enough with limited service, Dempsey put in a good shift as well and Colin Ryan was very good when he came on. A few extra weeks hurling will do Ronan Lynch, who was subbed, no harm either.

Was a poor enough game overall from both sides, lots of fumbles, bad wides, aimless balls and over-elaboration. Away to Clare and based on quality of matches Clare will be favourites, but it's a strong squad we've got and I'd give us every chance. Will ALTC and Nash be drafted in?

Colemania wrote: »
    12 point lead thrown away there in the under 21s. O'Connell partly at fault for both goals. English not showing any reason why he should be near the senior team either.

English was excellent.

Great win considering they went a man down early enough in the second half, showed real determination to stick ahead when it looked like it was Tipp's game. Pat Ryan was immense at midfield, pace, athleticism, skill and work-rate in abundance, would have been my man of the match, O'Donovan excellent also. Morrissey did well enough with limited service, Dempsey put in a good shift as well and Colin Ryan was very good when he came on. A few extra weeks hurling will do Ronan Lynch, who was subbed, no harm either.

Was a poor enough game overall from both sides, lots of fumbles, bad wides, aimless balls and over-elaboration. Away to Clare and based on quality of matches Clare will be favourites, but it's a strong squad we've got and I'd give us every chance. Will ALTC and Nash be drafted in?
    Ryan was a colossus
    Christ almighty he covered every blade grass
    What a game

Limerick down a man showed great resilence and belief and that reflection management
    Limerick yes sloppy at times but understanding in night it was and this game will bring them on hugely and ennis is ideal limerick in all pressure clare win four row limerick will match tenacious so imo limerick have better players

However malonry outstanding coach clare
    Limerick under no pressure in have already exceeded expectation to get this far in next year pressure begin so limerick ideal position

I think limerick can win this and will win the final

Great result for Limerick hurling

English was excellent.

What a game, hard to watch the last 5 mins! Agree I thought English had a great game, has a knack of getting his body in enough to put a forward just off enough, bit like Richie mc...Hegarty was very good if a little dodgy in distribution and Byrnes worked his socks off when O'connell was sent off, very harsh too, thought that cork ref had a bit if a nightmare...the lynchs were very poor, ronan will do well to keep his place, bit of hannon about him, plenty of skill but lacks aggression, not like the Doon boys, great game for both of the midfielders, Dave Dempsey deserves a chance at senior, took his points very well..at least we have a chance to get 1 out of 3 in Munster finals now, having to go down to ennis will be tough and they will be favourites but we should be capable of winning it...holding Duggan and O'Donnell will be a hard task...sure john kiely will have them expertly prepared

Great to get the win; the game should have been out of sight to be honest, the first-half goals we conceded were soft enough. But when Barry got sent off, I thought that was game over. Did really well to hold on and get to win- I thought Diarmuid Byrnes really stepped up in the second half.

Overall, I thought we were decent enough but we can definitely step it up a lot. Our forwards struggled to win ball at times, although Colin Ryan made a huge difference- serious player.

The two midfielders were really good, I thought Tom Morrissey was the best of our forwards tbh, Cian Lynch can do a lot better as can Kevin O'Brien, Ronan Lynch definitely can- don't think he's a forward really. I thought it was a bit harsh on Robbie Hanley to be taken off, he was working very hard. Hegaraty & English were good too.

I'd start Ryan & Finn for sure in the next game. Hopefully ALTC is fit the next day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

So it's 1 win from 4 after tonight, but remember we lost I/mediate by 1 point, senior by a point, minor by 2.
    We were favourites for intermediate but played below par, minor game was in the melting pot up to the final whistle and could've gone either way, how we contrived to lose the senior game is a mystery that will haunt me to my grave. Management and players equally to blame.!!
    Forget this crap about great discipline and fighting spirit from Dublin, we should've won that game by at least 10 points. BTW, I predict that Dublin will run W/ford very close and wouldn't rule out a shock win.
    Tonight was where we were least likely to get a win, but there was always a chance with the players at our disposal. Clare in Ennis will be huge task to overcome. We will need to find another gear, be much wiser with possession and be prepared for a 60 minute dogfight. Anything less and we will leave Ennis like many Limerick teams of the past. Joe McKenna will testify as to what it's like going up there less than 100% prepared.

washman3 wrote: »
    So it's 1 win from 4 after tonight, but remember we lost I/mediate by 1 point, senior by a point, minor by 2.
    We were favourites for intermediate but played below par, minor game was in the melting pot up to the final whistle and could've gone either way, how we contrived to lose the senior game is a mystery that will haunt me to my grave. Management and players equally to blame.!!
    Forget this crap about great discipline and fighting spirit from Dublin, we should've won that game by at least 10 points. BTW, I predict that Dublin will run W/ford very close and wouldn't rule out a shock win.
    Tonight was where we were least likely to get a win, but there was always a chance with the players at our disposal. Clare in Ennis will be huge task to overcome. We will need to find another gear, be much wiser with possession and be prepared for a 60 minute dogfight. Anything less and we will leave Ennis like many Limerick teams of the past. Joe McKenna will testify as to what it's like going up there less than 100% prepared.

The losses were close and even more disappointing for that, particularly the seniors. The minors weren't favoured really and have the back door; you'd get over an intermediate loss but I'd agree we should have beaten Dublin. I can't see Waterford losing to them tbh, Waterford are a step above the likes of Dublin & Limerick atm.

But the fact that this team won despite being down to 14 men for quite a while, and after throwing away a 12-point lead... that takes a lot of character. Does it come from the winning habit of the minor teams? Maybe, maybe not... in fairness to the Limerick seniors- in both 2013 & 2014, they won matches against Tipp that were in the melting pot which previous teams wouldn't have won, it just didn't happen against Dublin.

I do think Johnny Kiely is the best coach out of those 4 teams and to be honest, based on that front alone, I was a little disappointed. We could have been a lot better- hit a lot of wides, some of the ball to the forwards was poor and they are coaching things. But the character shown to dig deep and get to win was excellent. It won't cut it the next day but again, we were 12 points ahead. That should have been game over. Tighten up slightly and try and get our forwards to win more ball and take the pressure off the backs and we'll be laughing.

I saw someone predict that all 3 Tipp half-forwards would be taken off, and they were. I thought our half-back line did very well. Hegarty is a serious hurler, Byrnes was superb, although he should have been at centre-back. Barry wasn't at his best and the red card was silly but he still got on a lot of ball and used it well. Think he's better suited to wing-back though, while Byrnes is better at centre-back. The switching of those two was obvious and to be fair to Kiely, he did it, although I don't know why he didn't do it from the start.

And I think everyone would have started Colin Ryan & Sean Finn. Ryan was right up there with the best of the minor team, he's so good in the air, I don't see how you can afford to leave someone like that out. And Finn is good at either side of the field- no offence to Mark O'Callaghan but I'd rate Finn higher. But the good news is that Kiely will surely take that on board after their performances today. I just wonder whether we have enough on the bench, I think it's a pity Barry Nash isn't on the panel.

Pat Ryan is definitely a better midfielder than forward, he's playing there for Doon this year and he's found his true position. Gets through an amount of work. He was alright in the corner, a smart hurler but wouldn't have had the natural scoring instincts of Tom Morrissey or someone. Out in midfield, he exploits his talents. I don't know what's happened to Dean Coleman- he was arguably Doon's main forward, huge pace, scored loads, came on for the 21s last year even though he was doing the Leaving that day... this year seems to have been dropped, didn't make the panel, lost a bit of form? Would have been a good asset to have, I think, I always rated him.

Colemania wrote: »

I thought English was pretty good. Barry was partly at fault for both first-half goals as far as I could see but I don't know why he was back in that position in the first place, he's a wing-back, not a man-marker. He was basically at corner-back for the 2nd.

The defending for the shot which McCarthy saved brilliantly to his right was very poor, just walked through the middle. Can't let that happen against Clare anyway.

McCarthy Byrnes morrisey lynch absolutely Sensational and all every player sub were great

Pat Ryan what a game
    Well done congratulations

I'd agree on McCarthy, some super stops, although can improve puckouts.

Byrnes was superb, a real leader, grew into the game when we needed him.

Morrissey was good, although again, he can do better. Both his scores were very well taken though. But we know he was potential.

I thought Lynch showed flashes of what he can do but was well below his best. Still scored, set up and stopped a few scores but considering his talent he should be dominating these games and he faded badly in the second half. Don't think he know where he was supposed to be playing. He tries a lot of stuff- when it comes off, he looks fantastic, when it doesn't, he looks poor and a lot wasn't coming off today, conditions possibly didn't help.

Tipp were really bad for most of the first half, touch was way off. Grew into the game but we should have killed them off.

Agree with all that really. Two midfielders are serious hurlers, full of energy, proper midfielders.

Ronan Lynch is better in the backs or midfield imo, although he lacks a bit of pace. Good on the ball but what Mehapoy says below is all true.

ALTC is on the panel, think he was injured or something; Nash isn't and I don't think anyone will be added at this stage.

What a game, hard to watch the last 5 mins! Agree I thought English had a great game, has a knack of getting his body in enough to put a forward just off enough, bit like Richie mc...Hegarty was very good if a little dodgy in distribution and Byrnes worked his socks off when O'connell was sent off, very harsh too, thought that cork ref had a bit if a nightmare...the lynchs were very poor, ronan will do well to keep his place, bit of hannon about him, plenty of skill but lacks aggression, not like the Doon boys, great game for both of the midfielders, Dave Dempsey deserves a chance at senior, took his points very well..at least we have a chance to get 1 out of 3 in Munster finals now, having to go down to ennis will be tough and they will be favourites but we should be capable of winning it...holding Duggan and O'Donnell will be a hard task...sure john kiely will have them expertly prepared

Agree with most of that.

I thought the 2nd yellow was definitely a yellow, happened in front of me, it was quite silly. The first one was harsh enough but I don't think he can have been surprised at getting sent off tbh. It was silly enough, even if there was minimal contact.

Dempsey took most of his scores well but did hit a few wides too and his touch let him down a few times. Still needs some fine-tuning, although the fact that he can score 0-4 from play and still be off his best is encouraging.

At the start of the year, if you had told me that we'd be playing Clare in the 21s Munster final, I would have said we'd be favourites. I think we have the better hurlers, unlike last year. I know that they beat us at minor three years ago but if Ronan Lynch had hit his frees, we'd have won and our minor teams of the past two years were a class above theirs. They have some excellent hurlers and have home advantage, which is a big plus, but I definitely think we can win it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

lynch absolutely Sensational and all every player sub were great

You were watching a very different game to me tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement