Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

danganabu wrote: »
    You were watching a very different game to me tbh.

I'm sure that means a lot to me thanks for that input

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Surely this will put to bed the notion of starting anybody else but Byrnes as centre back. He's a complete natural there, and he is quickly becoming an outstanding player. Again, I would have doubts over O'Connell. Is he good enough to start? He seems to be getting exposed an awful lot for someone of his reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

danganabu wrote: »
    You were watching a very different game to me tbh.

Yeah but it fits with his mantras before the match. What actually happened on the field isn't as important ;)

Yeah but it fits with his mantras before the match. What actually happened on the field isn't as important ;)

Look will you ever for the love of God move on with this sniping my posts
    You clearly don't like my opinion fair enough
    Ignore then but you don't have continously snipe at them

I thought lynch was great in conditions tough he done what needed when the need was greatest like the great great really really really great players do and the other lads too

And yes you are correct i did call this under twenty one set up correctly from day one said were good hands just like I called senior set up was always destined to fail and have no doubt unless there's big change in selection make up next year with four new faces will continue under performance and it's sad to see when last night proved limerick has great young talent coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

TTM,we agree re c lynch but he was not good last night which is kind of good for us as he won't be as quiet hopefully the next day.Maybe because he's so good we expect him to do it everytime,i thought byrnes gradually came into it but he was not great in first half.How c ryan didn't start is beyond me also think finn will come in next day and those two changes will improve us considerably.Thought Hegarty and M casey did well considering One was only playing football and casey was out for weeks with a foot injury.All in all an important win as it keeps us hurling after a bad week or so for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Surely this will put to bed the notion of starting anybody else but Byrnes as centre back. He's a complete natural there, and he is quickly becoming an outstanding player. Again, I would have doubts over O'Connell. Is he good enough to start? He seems to be getting exposed an awful lot for someone of his reputation.

I'm afraid his reputation is the only reason he is in at no 6. No doubt byrnes is best no 6 around, massive work rate from midfield played a big part. Mc car thy looks bright future as goalie, big puck out and good stops. They can out work clare they should outscore them , we had lots of score takers last night,

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    I'm afraid his reputation is the only reason he is in at no 6. No doubt byrnes is best no 6 around, massive work rate from midfield played a big part. Mc car thy looks bright future as goalie, big puck out and good stops. They can out work clare they should outscore them , we had lots of score takers last night,
    Byrnes was Sensational intermediate game last week two awesome point from play

But tj Ryan seems be fan based on this year playing o mahony and Wayne mac there and not always picking the best team so it remains to be seen will Byrnes start next year

Ryan management dose not bar odd call enforce too much change imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

First time i've ever seen someone go into the corner flag in hurling anyway that's for sure! Very silly from Lynch. And yes i agree, he didn't have a great game but he was very good in patches. Also agree that Colin Ryan has to start the next day. Pat Ryan was superb and I was impressed with Hegarty's overall play. Shame Kevin O'Brien didn't get much ball as he's deadly in front of goal. Ronan Lynch was off his game too and as said here previously, he's not a forward at all.

To pick up on my point about English yesterday that a lot of people replied to, I was commenting on his first half performance. He did improve in the second half but he was far from excellent as people were saying. For the first 2 goals and even most of the goal chances, he was nowhere to be seen. He's the full back! Where was he wandering off to? I just don't see what other people see in him that would justify him for a senior call up. Not mentioned last night by posters but has been within the last 6 months or so.

O'Connell has talent and is superb for his club I believe but he was very poor yesterday. Again, had his moments but I don't think he has a future as a central player be it full back or centre back. Byrnes should have centre back nailed down and Hegarty will have done enough to keep his place. I wouldn't mind Ronan Lynch moving to midfield with Ryan or even playing as a wing back the next day but i feel he'll be played centre forward again.

I can't see us beating Clare but overconfidence from Clare being the big favourites might bite them in the arse and Limerick will need to cut out the amount of wides and shore up the defence if they're to have any chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Lynch had a good game in my opinion, had we not heard of him before yesterday his talent would have excited us all, certainly a performance not without errors however but the kid has one hell of a skill set. The running to the corner thing was daft as its much easier (inevitable in fact) to be dispossessed in hurling than in soccer if you try to do that. I wonder did that play a part in the Tipp player whacking him in the face and getting sent off? Could have been retribution for his attempted time wasting. In any case, hopefully a lesson learned for him. We'll have to take the rough with the smooth with Lynch though, he'll try things that most players won't, it won't always work but to be honest, I think its worth it just to get those moments when he does something that leaves you in awe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I've watched the game back and have refined my opinions somewhat.

Some of our use of the ball was very poor and that is probably why Barry is in at half-back. If he look at him on the ball, he always gets his head up, and finds his man the vast majority of the time. Some of our players did not do this. Hegarty had a good overall game but he was guilty of just bating it long into the corner or going for ridiculous scores. Byrnes also played a few poor balls towards the forwards.

Pat Ryan was probably our best player but he was probably the worst for it, played passes without looking up.

Cian Lynch wasn't bad but he wasn't at his best either. In the first half, he created a lot of scores but in the second half, he did fade out of the game. We need to make sure he's involved as much as possible. Ronan Lynch was playing behind his man for most of the game, can't really be having that. Mark O'Callaghan was better than I thought, but Sean Finn still improved things at the back.

If I were picking the team for the next day, I might try Tom Morrissey at centre-forward and try Kevin O'Brien at full-forward, I think it's his best position.

McCarthy
    Finn English Casey
    O'Connell Byrnes Hegarty
    Ryan O'Donovan
    Dempsey Morrissey Ryan
    Lynch O'Brien ALTC

I'd be a fan of ALTC in attack myself.

• Advertisement

Colemania wrote: »
    O'Connell has talent and is superb for his club

That's the thing, good for his club. A far different prospect all together if he lines up against Bobby Duggan in a week and a half's time, certainly wouldn't instill confidence anyway. I'm just not convinced, and I worry that the same failing of picking players based on reputation rather than form and skillset could undo us again. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, but it is a concern.

Lynch had a good game in my opinion, had we not heard of him before yesterday his talent would have excited us all, certainly a performance not without errors however but the kid has one hell of a skill set. The running to the corner thing was daft as its much easier (inevitable in fact) to be dispossessed in hurling than in soccer if you try to do that. I wonder did that play a part in the Tipp player whacking him in the face and getting sent off? Could have been retribution for his attempted time wasting. In any case, hopefully a lesson learned for him. We'll have to take the rough with the smooth with Lynch though, he'll try things that most players won't, it won't always work but to be honest, I think its worth it just to get those moments when he does something that leaves you in awe.

Completely agree. It's been said before, but this guy is a one in a million talent. We're very lucky to have him, and playing at this level will only bring him on and mature his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Completely agree. It's been said before, but this guy is a one in a million talent. We're very lucky to have him, and playing at this level will only bring him on and mature his game.

He is in his hole. He is good, and that's it. Let's not hype up our players, at least not until they've won something of note.

Rightwing wrote: »
    He is in his hole. He is good, and that's it. Let's not hype up our players, at least not until they've won something of note.

Fair enough, sorry to offend you.

Fair enough, sorry to offend you.

You didn't, just that I like to bring a bit of realism to a discussion. We'll all be hoping that he delivers on his potential, but that's all it is at the moment.

That is non logical in limerick hurling by your judgement ollie moran great tj Ryan as a versatile player Mike Nash Ciarán Carey Steve mcdonagh Gary Kirby and iron mike never really won all ireland etc but doesn't mean weren't great player
    Carey won intermediate though

They were great player but unfortunately limerick hurling as teams weren't successful so they didn't win much and in some cases just like current team with great o grady dowling etc poor management failed them but there great player and trophies won't define individual display
    Judging limerick however those days as team under tom Ryan never be classified as great team as didn't as team win all Ireland but that no slight on Carey who was good in both final

Lynch temperament is outstanding such was fine at senior problem was Ryan couldn't get best him
    Other night was difficult conditions but hunger want desire was there
    He is one rare exceptional talents every county has that could be great however playing poorly coached team won't help as like senior season over early and lynch deserves be playing late summer hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Cyril Farrell who knows a lot more about hurling than Thinktomuch even if the latter does not believe so had this to say in todays Indon

Now, if anything summed up the nonsense that managers have to deal with, it came through loud and clear from that meeting.

One delegate was of the opinion that when Limerick went eight points ahead, they "should have launched a savage attack, like bulls on the streets of Spain".

Someone else questioned the team's motivation, noting that he saw "one player leaning on his hurley".

And so it went. According to another delegate, some players were playing as individuals rather than team members. And then there was the claim that Limerick "won't win anything unless we're promoted".

Didn't they win the Munster title two years ago from Division 1B and come within two points of Kilkenny in last year's All-Ireland semi-final?

I hope manager TJ Ryan saw the comments for what they were - rubbish.

Disappointed

No one would have been more disappointed than him by the defeat, yet he has to put up with infantile stuff about bulls on the streets of Spain and players leaning on their hurleys.

Cyril Farrell who knows a lot more about hurling than Thinktomuch even if the latter does not believe so had this to say in todays Indon

Now, if anything summed up the nonsense that managers have to deal with, it came through loud and clear from that meeting.

One delegate was of the opinion that when Limerick went eight points ahead, they "should have launched a savage attack, like bulls on the streets of Spain".

Someone else questioned the team's motivation, noting that he saw "one player leaning on his hurley".

And so it went. According to another delegate, some players were playing as individuals rather than team members. And then there was the claim that Limerick "won't win anything unless we're promoted".

Didn't they win the Munster title two years ago from Division 1B and come within two points of Kilkenny in last year's All-Ireland semi-final?

Disappointed

No one would have been more disappointed than him by the defeat, yet he has to put up with infantile stuff about bulls on the streets of Spain and players leaning on their hurleys.
    I'm not rising to your bait so just one post
    But look it's same stuff again you say

But your taking snippets what said meeting in management were also questions and yes we're not asked resign rightly so but preparing team questioned

I suggest with respect you question at least seven yes seven other posters doubt Ryan management instead of yes repeating calling out my posts when I'm hardly only one saying concerns
    Again tell me what Ryan record management is but course you will ignore this again
    Also just one thing a slight after thought maybes players are looking so uninterested you say as don't belive in management
    Just my opinion as I seen plenty teams when loose faith set up do similar but better players
    I'll say one thing your loyal to the core you blame everything bar management you must have some reason whatever that may be to after failure league and humiliation munster to last week to totally absolve any accountability on managment
    Everybody here knows Ryan gives he's all for Limerick and hates loose
    That's never questions it's he's not good enough manager

Teddy McCarthy greatest dual player ever yet cork wouldn't want him as senior management in some fans

Blame the players imo lazy excuse
    Last year you praised Ryan kk defeat yet loose blame every body bar him
    League not been taken seriously is direct indictment poor management and fact many posted league panel picked was the strongest

Cyril farell brilliant management but hardly gospel he said never doubted bottle tippeary hurlers big games and that was rubbish he said
    Now you your self questions tippeary bottle and rightfully so so it shows what farell said isn't always correct
    Farell is gentle man and never upsets anyone
    Even when didn't rate cunningjham Galway he put it as nice he could last year team out grown him he should leave instead saying team selection last year were not great

I must say I notice a huge trend in not just this but many threads now when I say something always critsed others say same thing nothing is said by some posters
    Fair enough but I just thought I'd point this out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

For a man who loves to dish the shyte, you are very easily upset when it comes flying back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

For a man who loves to dish the shyte, you are very easily upset when it comes flying back.
    he cracks me up

• Advertisement

I'm not upset just pointing out numerous other posters questions Ryan

And no again I JUDGE PURELY ON MANAGMENT PERFORMANCE
    AS PLAYER RYAN WAS GREAT

reason for caps with respect is you keep trying make out I against Ryan
    I'm not or never was
    Management is the issue nothing more nothing less

That is non logical in limerick hurling by your judgement ollie moran great tj Ryan as a versatile player Mike Nash Ciarán Carey Steve mcdonagh Gary Kirby and iron mike never really won all ireland etc but doesn't mean weren't great player
    Carey won intermediate though

They were great player but unfortunately limerick hurling as teams weren't successful so they didn't win much and in some cases just like current team with great o grady dowling etc poor management failed them but there great player and trophies won't define individual display
    Judging limerick however those days as team under tom Ryan never be classified as great team as didn't as team win all Ireland but that no slight on Carey who was good in both final

Lynch temperament is outstanding such was fine at senior problem was Ryan couldn't get best him
    Other night was difficult conditions but hunger want desire was there
    He is one rare exceptional talents every county has that could be great however playing poorly coached team won't help as like senior season over early and lynch deserves be playing late summer hurling

It's a bit early to be calling Lynch 1 of the greatest hurlers we've ever seen, but I'll reserve judgement until he is in his 30's.

It's a bit early to be calling Lynch 1 of the greatest hurlers we've ever seen, but I'll reserve judgement until he is in his 30's.

To be fair, nobody has said that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I'm a big fan of C lynch I think his touch is incredible and I have praised him a lot on here but i'd agree somewhat with rightwing we tend in this county to over hype some players and c lynch is top of the pile at the moment. I thought he was average the other night but he could have turned that average into very good had he not flicked and passed the ball so much. I know he can't do it every time but when I see him on the ball I want him to shoot more often I feel he goes for the fancy pass or flick too often when I would just like to see him do the basics.I'm fully aware he scored 1-1 the other night by the way this is just an observation.

lim4ev wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of C lynch I think his touch is incredible and I have praised him a lot on here but i'd agree somewhat with rightwing we tend in this county to over hype some players and c lynch is top of the pile at the moment. I thought he was average the other night but he could have turned that average into very good had he not flicked and passed the ball so much. I know he can't do it every time but when I see him on the ball I want him to shoot more often I feel he goes for the fancy pass or flick too often when I would just like to see him do the basics.I'm fully aware he scored 1-1 the other night by the way this is just an observation.

I wouldn't criticise him for passing the ball too much, but trying to flick the ball into your hand while surrounded by men in wet conditions is optimistic, at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Disappointed

If those comments stemmed from the defeat to Dublin and we'd been flying all year then yes I'd dismiss them as rubbish.

However, the league was rubbish including a hammering by Dublin and losing to Offaly (who Cyrill acknowledges are crap in the same article). Yes we beat Clare although we were far from convincing but yeah I thought after that maybe, just maybe we'll come good.

Then an absolute surrender to Tipp (one of our worst beatings at home) and a very flat performance to westmeath. Then we go out like that against Dublin (who I feel have their own problems) of course questions should be asked. It was clear to see how far off the pace we were all year. It was as if the whole team and management were waiting for something to happen instead of making it happen.

On reflection I don't lay the blame totally at managements door. The players have to take some responsibility and if the attitude was poor, that reflects poorly on them and on the management. The players themselves should be motivated no question, but they feed off the management.

We don't think it's beneath us to lose to Dublin but the manner of our performances all year have to be questioned. I'm glad this was done. Limerick of old would have accepted it and "ah sure there's always next year" kind of attitude would have been there. Maybe things are changing.

When is the next county board meeting actually? A month's time?

Things can't stay the same anyway. Hopefully we'll be Munster U-21 champions by the time it comes around, would be good to get some feelgood factor involved.

I see Dowling and Dan Morrisey are off to the US for the summer. Until how long i don't know but the clubs are playing in 2 weeks time and on the second last weekend of august.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Colemania wrote: »
    I see Dowling and Dan Morrisey are off to the US for the summer. Until how long i don't know but the clubs are playing in 2 weeks time and on the second last weekend of august.

They can go for a month and be back for the business end of club championship. They're right too.

• Advertisement

They can go for a month and be back for the business end of club championship. They're right too.

Oh ya they're dead right. Ahane may need morrisey to qualify for the next round but na piarsigh are safe anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement