Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Very possibly the last time either of them will get the chance to travel during the summer, they might as well. Hurling isn't everything.

Colemania wrote: »
    Oh ya they're dead right. Ahane may need morrisey to qualify for the next round but na piarsigh are safe anyway.

Ahane should have enough to beat South Liberties and an out-of-form Murroe/Boher. They absolutely hammered Liberties in the quarters last year; Dan is possibly their best player but they should still have enough. And Na Piarsaigh are also playing the two weakest teams in their group.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Agree. Na P are through, don't know ahane' situation but presume Morrissey wouldn't go if they weren't already through or as good as. They'll be hurling over there anyway. Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ahane should have enough to beat South Liberties and an out-of-form Murroe/Boher. They absolutely hammered Liberties in the quarters last year; Dan is possibly their best player but they should still have enough. And Na Piarsaigh are also playing the two weakest teams in their group.

They should but liberties have improved and are at least 6 points a better team than last yr now i know ahane won by a cricket score but something tells me twill be closer this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Very possibly the last time either of them will get the chance to travel during the summer, they might as well. Hurling isn't everything.

Actually, it is.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

No change in league format next year passed today
    So stays as it is
    Feel for Limerick as like clare have talent deserves be top division

So stays as it is

Actually they don't, if they had they would both be in 1A.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Iecrawfc

So stays as it is

Short sighted, a county may have only 2 home games for the year, teams can't experiment or ease players into county and by the time the club and fitzgibbon is finished the league is nearly over...it's hurting teams in the long run I reckon, especially those ranked 6 to 10,

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Greensoup

Agree...when we can't beat Offaly 2 years running 1B is what we deserve.

Actually they don't, if they had they would both be in 1A.:rolleyes:

Ironic your glad limerick relegated yet you get upset when your hero Ryan critsed in management performance.

• Advertisement

Ironic your glad limerick relegated yet you get upset when your hero Ryan critsed in management performance.

Actually I cant remember when Limerick were relegated so I don't remember how I felt when it happened.

If the league changed for next year, that would be silly anyway, just as it was when they changed it last time. You can't change the format for a competition after teams have already qualified for it- the changes would have to be for 2017 if anything.

I don't have a problem with the league setup, Limerick will just have to be good enough to get out of the division.

The proposals for to change it for 2017. Presume these might still go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Tickets for Under 21 final available now on tickets.ie, also available in Supervalu and Centras. €15 for terrace.

The proposals for to change it for 2017. Presume these might still go through.

Kind of irrelevant really and truly when it's the here and now is what's really important and decision was made yesterday and thought be September but not now means ye have get promoted next year
    Ye or no team will be winning the all ireland from division two next year as the gap is just two much

I hope it's changed two years for ye as ye have huge ask beat clare and if clare had Kinnerk back fully fit team unless things changed limerick management set up likely get revenge for one point championship defeat imo

Kind of irrelevant really and truly when it's the here and now is what's really important and decision was made yesterday and thought be September but not now means ye have get promoted next year
    Ye or no team will be winning the all ireland from division two next year as the gap is just two much

I hope it's changed two years for ye as ye have huge ask beat clare and if clare had Kinnerk back fully fit team unless things changed limerick management set up likely get revenge for one point championship defeat imo

:eyeroll:

No it's not irrelevant. The current system is bad for hurling and for a number of hurling counties in particular. Some will disagree but if they do fair enough. The point of the exercise of a number of counties proposing change is to improve the system for everyone. Once again you seem to have completely missed the point, although I can't make head nor tail of your last sentence.

No it's not irrelevant. The current system is bad for hurling and for a number of hurling counties in particular. Some will disagree but if they do fair enough. The point of the exercise of a number of counties proposing change is to improve the system for everyone. Once again you seem to have completely missed the point, although I can't make head nor tail of your last sentence.

No i totally agree with your points in changing it but my point is for Limerick not much good next year as they are still in division two as failed get promoted

My last sentence I was saying clare if outstanding awesome Kinnerk goes back to clare you would fancy clare beat limerick unless limerick change up their selectors as injured clare team missing key players with man sent off only lost by a point

If they have fully fit team with Kinnerk back limerick have a huge challenge ahead to beat them in what is probably a league final

Any news on the minors? i heard tonight we can expect some positional changes for next sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Harty draw done, no west Limerick colleges this year, a pity as it provided good competition for those from the west, reflected in a few from there on the minor panel...looking at the draw ard scoil and castletroy should have a good chance of getting out of their group, Doon have a tough task, there would be a few from Limerick on the Charleville panel as well, hopefully they do well...dunno what hospital school are at, big school slap bang in the middle of good hurling areas, they should at least be able to compete at Harty level, instead of that they don't do much even at B level.

lim4ev wrote: »
    Any news on the minors? i heard tonight we can expect some positional changes for next sunday

Galway are always potential banana skin in haven't played so hard judge but limerick have advantage games unity cohesion from four tough games

Limerick hopefully will win but Galway won't be easy in athenry ran Kieran all way all ireland school semi final with around over two thirds last year kk minor panel and have around six or maybe more that team

Evan niland is unreal and best forwards imo on show out both teams sunday that good and louhghin should man mark him
    Saw him under sixteen semi final last year v midelton he was excellent
    From play frees he'll score
    Think Brian Burke involved also
    Galway played lot challenge games and meant be going okay

Once limerick start well and don't chase Galway should win
    If limerick win there ideal position facing kk then five games under belt
    One thing excellent limerick all year is with out big names last year showed resolve come back cork defeat beat waterford beat Cork despite being outplayed at times and apparently gave good game v tipp
    The resolve and steel is there and they improving with every game

No pressure on this group either as if play kk nobody expects
    If beat Galway while I wouldn't thought so earlier year best time meet kk is semi final and could give kk test

Galway ist up
    I'll be cheer for Limerick as most cork I suspect will be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Harty draw done, no west Limerick colleges this year, a pity as it provided good competition for those from the west, reflected in a few from there on the minor panel...looking at the draw ard scoil and castletroy should have a good chance of getting out of their group, Doon have a tough task, there would be a few from Limerick on the Charleville panel as well, hopefully they do well...dunno what hospital school are at, big school slap bang in the middle of good hurling areas, they should at least be able to compete at Harty level, instead of that they don't do much even at B level.

West Limerick out of Harty and Corn Ui Mhuiri ?? Given they fought to get in this seems a strange decision!

is it political or otherwise ? I know some schools are against amalgamated teams

Good luck to minors on Sunday. Team have acquitted themselves well so far in that I didn't expect them to get over Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

N20 wrote: »
    West Limerick out of Harty and Corn Ui Mhuiri ?? Given they fought to get in this seems a strange decision!

is it political or otherwise ? I know some schools are against amalgamated teams

Good luck to minors on Sunday. Team have acquitted themselves well so far in that I didn't expect them to get over Cork

Don't know if this is true but heard from a 'barstool expert' that other schools objected to the amalgamation of West Limerick schools, with A.R.S being the main instigators.
    Can anyone confirm or deny this as I would find that very hard to believe.
    Would imagine the bigger schools would relish the challenge.!

Minor team named.

1. Eoghan McNamara (Capt) (Doon)
    2. Oisín O'Reilly (Kilmallock)
    3. Conor McSweeney (South Liberties)
    4. Jack O'Grady (Knockainey)
    5. Conor Byrnes (Murroe/Boher)
    6. Paddy O'Loughlin (Kilmallock)
    7. Conor Houlihan (Na Piarsaigh)
    8. Thomas Grimes (Na Piarsaigh)
    9. Darragh Carroll (Kilteely/Dromkeen)
    10. Kyle Hayes (Kildimo/Palllaskenry)
    11. Barry Murphy (Doon)
    12. Michael Mackey (Adare)
    13. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    14. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh/Castlemahon)
    15. Cian Magner Flynn (Kileedy).

16. Adam O'Brien (Ahane)
    17. Colum Carroll (Ahane)
    18. Conor Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)
    19. Ciaran O'Connor (Kilmallock)
    20. Tom Hayes (Doon)
    21. Paudie Ahern (Kileedy)
    22. Willie O'Meara (Askeaton)
    23. Darren O'Connell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)
    24. Brian McPartland (Doon)
    25. Eoin Ryan (Adare)

As far as I can tell, there are two changes. Tommy Hayes of Doon is now on the bench with Oisín O'Reilly of Kilmallock in at corner-back. Brian Ryan is also out, I can only presume he's injured, with Cian Magner Flynn coming into the attack. Flynn is a tough player, good to get a goal too but Ryan will be a loss. It means that Murphy is named at centre-forward, Mackey on the wing but you could see Flanagan out on the 40. Darren O'Connell comes onto the bench.

Hard to know how good Galway will be, but having games behind them can only help our lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Listening to Second Captains earlier, Seamus Hickey was on and it was very interesting that he pointed to a lack of league form as a factor in your championship performances. He seemed gutted about how the year turned out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

washman3 wrote: »
    Don't know if this is true but heard from a 'barstool expert' that other schools objected to the amalgamation of West Limerick schools, with A.R.S being the main instigators.
    Can anyone confirm or deny this as I would find that very hard to believe.
    Would imagine the bigger schools would relish the challenge.!

That would be very ironic, given ASR's reputation of being very Toulon-esque in their Harty Cup recruitment in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

who is everyone

This system is absolutely excellent in my view. it gives serious competition to all teams in division 1A and its up to managers if they want to give their players game time in it
    in Divsion 1B there are teams capable of beating each other in the top 3 ie for next year limerick Clare Wexford and the other three teams can compete with each other and also test themselves at a higher level

Changing the format simply tosses the likes of kerry down the toilet so that limerick wexford and clare get a few bigger gates and there is always one team like laoise or offaly who everyone is going to finish ahead of without giving them a single match they can target to get a win.

This league has been excellent and waterford have proven that it can be used tio prepare a proper team

who is everyone

This system is absolutely excellent in my view. it gives serious competition to all teams in division 1A and its up to managers if they want to give their players game time in it
    in Divsion 1B there are teams capable of beating each other in the top 3 ie for next year limerick Clare Wexford and the other three teams can compete with each other and also test themselves at a higher level

Changing the format simply tosses the likes of kerry down the toilet so that limerick wexford and clare get a few bigger gates and there is always one team like laoise or offaly who everyone is going to finish ahead of without giving them a single match they can target to get a win.

This league has been excellent and waterford have proven that it can be used tio prepare a proper team

Currently division 1 is two uneven groups of 6. What's suggested is two equally seeded groups of 7. No one is disadvantaged. Most are in a better position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Leo O Connor should be sacked this afternoon.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Leo O Connor should be sacked this afternoon.

Why?

Then there was one!what do people think if we did happen to beat clare and win the u21 next thur will it salvage a little from a massively disappointing yr or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

lim4ev wrote: »
    Why?

Then there was one!what do people think if we did happen to beat clare and win the u21 next thur will it salvage a little from a massively disappointing yr or not?

Useless, has the capacity to undo a lot of the good underage work that was done in recent years.

You'd have to favour Clare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement