Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

C room are gone I'm afraid, their only hope was a win against doon, doon beat them at a canter tonight,Croom offered nothing and I'd imagine the na pairsaig subs will give them a hiding considering what they did to buff, winner takes all between doon and ballybrown, a draw would do ballybrown I think presuming adare beat bruff

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Dowling is never going to cut back he is as strong as an ox and if you compete 50/50 with he will invariably win but if you sheppard he causes way less trouble. Letting him and dealing on the turn is much easier as he usually falls over or can't adjust his feet. All backs do like Richie English v SHane Donnell last. Again you've haven't a clue.

Dempsey is a sweeper/midfielder end of and a bloody good one at that but a tight marking corner back? No.

If you judge Seanie v Dublin in the league than why didn't you judge the rest of the Limerick team then? That was probably Seanies second game ever at corner back. Absolutely ridiculous to judge him on that.

If you have seen Richie English play then you'd no he is a full back and not a wing back. You clearly haven't.

Dowling usually falls over or can't adjust his feet? He's just a very good player, who in any sort of one-on-one battle will usually win his own ball and was is probably our best bet at scoring from open play, and for creating chances for others in the forwards.

Dempsey is very good in a midfield role, he's got pace, intelligence and is a fine, skilful hurler but he could definitely do a very good job at corner-back too. All the way up at underage level, he beat his man in the corner time and time again. Just because he plays midfield/wing-back for his club doesn't mean he could play elsewhere for county. Hickey, Walsh, SOB, Condon... none of them play as man-markers for their club either.

I have no idea what you are talking about with Seanie, if you had read my posts, I was clearly talking about the Championship game???

And I've seen Richie English play however many games the minors played in 2013 and the three U-21 games over the past two years as well as once for Doon in 2013. Again, if you had actually read my post, it's via word of mouth that I've heard that he's better at wing-back but the only time I saw him for Doon, he was playing there and he was superb. But again, I said he should be groomed for the full-back role in the future as he's handled every challenge along the way which you actually seem to agree with?? I don't know what you're arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

was away for a few days surprised at the lack of posts considering the semi on sat any news on teams etc what are Galway like has anyone any info what's the story re injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

lim4ev wrote: »
    was away for a few days surprised at the lack of posts considering the semi on sat any news on teams etc what are Galway like has anyone any info what's the story re injuries

Looks like Hegarty and Kevin O'Brien will not play due to injury.
    Galway will have 3 of the forwards that started last Sundays cracker, Cathal Mannion, Jason Flynn and Conor Whelan. Think the scorer of the matchwinner Shane Moloney may be U21 too but not sure. Maybe somebody can confirm this.
    Impossible to call this one, if the players mentioned above hit form we could be blown away. However, Galway haven't played a competitive game yet, coupled with the fact that there would be a bigger focus on their seniors. This may be a plus for us.

Have had very limited access to internet this week, but yeah, it's a huge match at the weekend in what has still been a poor season for Limerick GAA. The minors did well to get out of Munster but fell a bit flat- a Munster title for the 21s is a good achievement, but you'd like to see them push on.

It's always hard to know with Galway, having not played a game yet, you don't know how their preparations have gone- all you can really do is look at their past minor teams. In 2012, they had an alright team but lost to Tipperary. In 2013, they beat us after the Hawkeye incident in the semi-final but lost the final to a Waterford team we had already beaten. We played well below par in the semi. And last year, we hammered them.

Obviously they have Jason Flynn, Cathal Mannion and Conor Whelan; who will cause damage. Molloy was their freetaker in 2013 who was decent from play, I remember they had a few Burkes too who were decent and Darragh Dolan at midfield. They'll have Sylvie Óg Linnane and Paul Killeen who played Fitzgibbon for LIT too. I think Shane Moloney's overage, he was superb in the minor final of 2011 iirc.

I don't see any reason to fear them, but I remember being quite confident in 2011 too and they beat us handily. Hegarty will be a huge loss if he's out, I suppose Sean Flanagan or ALTC will come in there. Apparently Robbie Hanley could be missing too, so ALTC would probably be the logical replacement for him in attack too, maybe Kelliher.

I know Nash, Coleman, Flanagan and Casey have apparently joined the panel but I wouldn't expect any to start- would be a bit unfair on the lads who have been there all year. Flanagan wasn't playing for Feohanagh/Castlemahon at the weekend, not sure about the reason.

I think if our big players play well and we provide the same work rate, that we can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Don't forget Kevin O'Brien is out too. Himself and Hanley are definitely out. Hegarty is just a doubt at the moment but I expect him to start. To be honest Kelliher has been performing well as an impact sub for the 21s and has been performing well for club so probably warrants a start at half forward. I dunno who you'd put in the corner to replace Kevin. There might be some positional switches on the day.

Yes heard Hanley is out too Hegarty as we speak is i'd say 70/30 against we were missing kob in mun final too so I can see why the lads from the minors were drafted in.I can't see where we'r going to get our scores from tbh R lynch will put them over all day but so would I if I was handed the ball he needs to win more of his own possession.Morrissey was v poor last day so with hanley out he may be pushed out to 11 r lynch to 14 and maybe kelliher or altc to the corner?I'd expect Flanagan to replace Hegarty at hb.I know Galway have 3 senior stars starting but funnily enough i'd have confidence in our backs to hold them whether they can keep them out enough will decide on who wins this.Twill be very interesting to see how the 2 lads I rate highly come thru namely English and Casey

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

The last time we had a particularly strong u21 panel with I think 9 players on the senior panel we fell flat completely at u21. Turned out the u21 panel had had little access to their best players and all the focus was on senior. Hoping that follows through for galway.

Don't know what to expect from galway, they could be completely focused on senior, they could come out and blow us away. The lack of matches should be a disadvantage but Galway have been dealing well enough with that for years.

If Mannion, Flynn and Whelan come out and play to their best then there's no way they can be marked. That's despite us having a particularly strong set of backs, two or three of whom I expect to start for the seniors next year. The winning of this game for us is in the forwards, not in their scoring but in the workrate to limit to the amount and quality of ball galway's top forwards get on. If we can raise this significantly, and get on top in midfield as we have the last two games then our backs have a chance. We'll need another lift in performance from the forwards, expect more again from lynch and Morrissey especially needs to hit the heights he's capable of.

What is o'brien's injury? Must be serious it's keeping him out a while. Big loss to this team.

The last time we had a particularly strong u21 panel with I think 9 players on the senior panel we fell flat completely at u21. Turned out the u21 panel had had little access to their best players and all the focus was on senior. Hoping that follows through for galway.

Don't know what to expect from galway, they could be completely focused on senior, they could come out and blow us away. The lack of matches should be a disadvantage but Galway have been dealing well enough with that for years.

If Mannion, Flynn and Whelan come out and play to their best then there's no way they can be marked. That's despite us having a particularly strong set of backs, two or three of whom I expect to start for the seniors next year. The winning of this game for us is in the forwards, not in their scoring but in the workrate to limit to the amount and quality of ball galway's top forwards get on. If we can raise this significantly, and get on top in midfield as we have the last two games then our backs have a chance. We'll need another lift in performance from the forwards, expect more again from lynch and Morrissey especially needs to hit the heights he's capable of.

What is o'brien's injury? Must be serious it's keeping him out a while. Big loss to this team.

It's reporting everywhere that it's his hand but I heard originally it was his hamstring.

Two changes to the starting team. Sean Finn comes in at corner-back for Mark O'Callaghan. I thought O'Callaghan did well the last day but this is a change that I expected for the first day tbh. Other change is that Barry Nash, who's just into the panel, starts in place of Robbie Hanley, who is injured. Nash is named at corner-forward.

Hegarty is named to start, Kevin O'Brien is named on the bench. Dean Coleman & Peter Casey are also newcomers on the panel who get a spot on the bench, Jack Quaid does too.

Is it a bit harsh on lads who have been on the panel all along that players can come in and take their place. That said, on paper, these players are probably better than those they are replacing tbh. They could be a little rusty, and I'm a little surprised ALTC wasn't given the nod to start tbh.

I wonder how we'll line out though, presumably Cian Lynch will be floating around midfield again. That leaves one spot in the half-forward line which any of Ryan, Morrissey and Nash could fill. And if Ronan Lynch goes inside like he did the last day, then that's two spots. It's a talented team though and the bench probably looks a little better now too.

Hope they do it.

1. David McCarthy (Glenroe)
    2. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    3. Richie English (Doon)
    4. Michael Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    5. Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell) (Captain)
    6. Barry O Connell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)
    7. Gearoid Hegarty (St Patrick’s)
    8. Darragh O Donovan (Doon)
    9. Pat Ryan (Doon)
    10. Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh)
    11. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)
    12. David Dempsey ( Na Piarsaigh)
    13. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen)
    14. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    15. Barry Nash (South Liberties).

Match Panel:
    16. Eoghan McNamara (Doon)
    17. Mark O’Callaghan (Knockaderry)
    18. Sean Flanagan (Feohanagh/Castlemahon)
    19. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen)
    20. Jack Kelliher (Patrickswell)
    21. Jack Quaid (Effin)
    22. Dean Coleman (Doon)
    23. Kevin O Brien (Patrickswell)
    24. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Colemania wrote: »
    It's reporting everywhere that it's his hand but I heard originally it was his hamstring.

Team named, surprised to see Barry Nash parachuted straight into the starting lineup...strong enough bench with Kevin O'Brien hopefully fit enough to play some part, we don't often win against Galway at underage but some of these players have an ok record against them so may count for something, Galway favourites too which helps us as they usually come in under the radar, as with the minors this year, everybody is aware of how good Galway are with the seniors and many of the intermediates already making an impact in the summer, tough for Limerick to win this...
    LIMERICK: David McCarthy (Glenroe); Sean Finn (Bruff), Richie English (Doon), Michael Casey (Na Piarsaigh); Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell), Barry O’Connell (Kildimo-Pallaskenry), Gearoid Hegarty (St Patricks); Darragh O’Donovan (Doon), Pat Ryan (Doon); Ronan Lynch (Patrickswell), Cian Lynch (Patrickswell), David Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh), Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen), Tom Morrissey (Ahane), Barry Nash (South Liberties). Subs: Eoghan McNamara (Doon), Mark O’Callaghan (Knockaderry), Sean Flanagan (Feohanagh-Castlemahon), Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen), Jack Kelleher (Patrickswell), Jack Quaid (Effin), Dean Coleman (Doon), Kevin O’Brien (Patrickswell), Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh).

I may be wrong but I was sure that Kevin O'Brien was definitely out, as in he could play no part, so to have him on the bench instead of the likes of Aaron Gillane and other members of the panel may be a bit harsh.

In saying that, the coaches aren't stupid so he must have a minute chance of playing if he's on the bench. Would be the ideal player to bring on at full forward if we're chasing a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I dont see sean finn as a corner back, think he's a forward. Lets see how goes against the likes of whelan, its a good team well capable of winning best of luck to them, some tough calls by management there, will be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

A good few players dropped from the panel since the munster final.Personally I wouldn't have brought Nash into the team at this late stage. He's not a bad player but he hasn't played too many games since last years minor final so a big risk to bring him in now.

That said the senior management showed no ruthlessness whatsoever throughout the year and despite my opinion on bringing in a player this late we can give the management the benefit of the doubt here after winning 2 very tough games (the All Ireland minor winners of 2012 and the under 21 winners in 2014). Keeping players on their toes has to be welcomed.

We will get a tough game no doubt but a win can be achieved. There has been little in the way of hype which can only be a good thing. Hopefully the injury concerns won't go against us.

I dont see sean finn as a corner back, think he's a forward. Lets see how goes against the likes of whelan, its a good team well capable of winning best of luck to them, some tough calls by management there, will be tight.

Scored a lot for Bruff but was the best corner-back on the minor panel over the past two years, and I thought he was good for the intermediates, particularly against Clare.

We're not exactly overflowing with options in the full-back line though, I'd see him as one of the two best corner-backs in the panel, along with Casey. No surprise to see him there.

shockframe wrote: »
    A good few players dropped from the panel since the munster final.Personally I wouldn't have brought Nash into the team at this late stage. He's not a bad player but he hasn't played too many games since last years minor final so a big risk to bring him in now.

That said the senior management showed no ruthlessness whatsoever throughout the year and despite my opinion on bringing in a player this late we can give the management the benefit of the doubt here after winning 2 very tough games (the All Ireland minor winners of 2012 and the under 21 winners in 2014). Keeping players on their toes has to be welcomed.

We will get a tough game no doubt but a win can be achieved. There has been little in the way of hype which can only be a good thing. Hopefully the injury concerns won't go against us.

If Nash had committed early on, he would have been on the panel. If Casey & Flanagan hadn't been playing minor, the same is probably true. I thought Paddy O'Loughlin might even get a call but Casey was the standout minor this year.

I'm not sure what the story with Coleman was. He came on for the 21s last year, but was in great form for Doon at the time too. I don't think he's been starting for Doon recently- and as far as I know, he did the Leaving Cert last year. But the management must have had a reason for calling him up and could be a good impact sub, plenty of pace anyway.

I do think the panel looks a lot stronger now, bringing in players of that quality can only improve it. It increases competition up front and will hopefully mean we get the best from the others now... particularly with O'Brien & Hanley injured, you could argue we were looking a little short.

It's a big call to put Nash straight in, but presumably he wouldn't have been put in if he was looking very rusty. Whether other players would be unhappy at being dropped for someone who's only on the panel now, I don't know, not everyone was happy when it happened with the minors but it's up to Kiely to keep the panel happy and to get performances out of them. He'll be judged on results.

It's a strong-looking Galway team but I'm surprised that so many people are making them favourites. I don't know a huge amount about their team in general but this is a strong, combative, hard-working Limerick team. I have faith in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Fireball07 wrote: »

If Nash had committed early on, he would have been on the panel. If Casey & Flanagan hadn't been playing minor, the same is probably true. I thought Paddy O'Loughlin might even get a call but Casey was the standout minor this year.

I'm not sure what the story with Coleman was. He came on for the 21s last year, but was in great form for Doon at the time too. I don't think he's been starting for Doon recently- and as far as I know, he did the Leaving Cert last year. But the management must have had a reason for calling him up and could be a good impact sub, plenty of pace anyway.

I do think the panel looks a lot stronger now, bringing in players of that quality can only improve it. It increases competition up front and will hopefully mean we get the best from the others now... particularly with O'Brien & Hanley injured, you could argue we were looking a little short.

It's a big call to put Nash straight in, but presumably he wouldn't have been put in if he was looking very rusty. Whether other players would be unhappy at being dropped for someone who's only on the panel now, I don't know, not everyone was happy when it happened with the minors but it's up to Kiely to keep the panel happy and to get performances out of them. He'll be judged on results.

Fair point that. I'm still wary of it not working out. People would have been critical of the minor changes due to the management not being independent to some players but that is not an issue here. I might be right in saying that none of the backroom team have a player from their own club which is very rare in Limerick hurling.

The minors are decent players too but we seem to have a minor player at Under 21 most years. Kilkenny have never had too many players playing minor and 21 in the same year and I would prefer to go down this route. With a few forwards missing needs might be different this time.

Galway are more likely favourites for this for a number of reasons. Last Sundays win, Limerick maybe being viewed as less of a threat this season than other Munster teams and Galways better underage record in general.

There was nothing in the minor semi 2 years ago so I wouldnt be surprised if it played out along a similar pattern.

Whatever happens tomorrow night we have had a successful year at this grade and if we are beaten I'd still be in favour of Kiely getting another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I'm sure Nash has proved himself in training to the management and everyone else so wouldn't question the decision. Casey is small for this level yet but if he gets on a ball he'll clip it over, not a bad option to have at all for the closing stages of a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

shockframe wrote: »
    Last Sundays win, .

Think this is a negative in a way for Galway, Mannion, Whelan and Flynn will undoubtedly have one eye on the first Sunday in September, I mean its only human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Two changes to the starting team. Sean Finn comes in at corner-back for Mark O'Callaghan. I thought O'Callaghan did well the last day but this is a change that I expected for the first day tbh. Other change is that Barry Nash, who's just into the panel, starts in place of Robbie Hanley, who is injured. Nash is named at corner-forward.

Hegarty is named to start, Kevin O'Brien is named on the bench. Dean Coleman & Peter Casey are also newcomers on the panel who get a spot on the bench, Jack Quaid does too.

Is it a bit harsh on lads who have been on the panel all along that players can come in and take their place. That said, on paper, these players are probably better than those they are replacing tbh. They could be a little rusty, and I'm a little surprised ALTC wasn't given the nod to start tbh.

I wonder how we'll line out though, presumably Cian Lynch will be floating around midfield again. That leaves one spot in the half-forward line which any of Ryan, Morrissey and Nash could fill. And if Ronan Lynch goes inside like he did the last day, then that's two spots. It's a talented team though and the bench probably looks a little better now too.

Hope they do it.

1. David McCarthy (Glenroe)
    2. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    3. Richie English (Doon)
    4. Michael Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    5. Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell) (Captain)
    6. Barry O Connell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)
    7. Gearoid Hegarty (St Patrick’s)
    8. Darragh O Donovan (Doon)
    9. Pat Ryan (Doon)
    10. Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh)
    11. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)
    12. David Dempsey ( Na Piarsaigh)
    13. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen)
    14. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    15. Barry Nash (South Liberties).

Match Panel:
    16. Eoghan McNamara (Doon)
    17. Mark O’Callaghan (Knockaderry)
    18. Sean Flanagan (Feohanagh/Castlemahon)
    19. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen)
    20. Jack Kelliher (Patrickswell)
    21. Jack Quaid (Effin)
    22. Dean Coleman (Doon)
    23. Kevin O Brien (Patrickswell)
    24. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    A very good team imo in light of every thing

Played apparently at least two challenges matches recently and are absoultey flying in training
    Corbett and kiely have brought on another gear in them I'm told

The limerick team two years or three were not greatly coached imo and huge expectation on them and limerick don't do well with hype

This team tomorrow imo is absoultey primed to deliver a win as no hype no pressure, Galway have all the hype and pressure and with few on the senior all focus on senior
    Galway if you asked fans aren't really bothered about under twenty one when all ireland senior they need it more as they have lot under age success
    Now I'm not saying Galway don't want to win course want win but the intermediate have won minor in final senior final so huge huge hunger yes this team get final but also huge pressure to keep the grand slam alive

Limerick lot minor lads last year while I belive next year there going to improve further imo are well able to hit ground running tomorrowLynch boys Nash the awesome lynch Byrnes morrisey are well able for this level

Galway are dangerous as no game played their unknown but other years were only team able get succecounty
    Tomorrow is different game and while I don't think limerick will win the all ireland this year that's for another day I think they have a great chance tomorrow

Finn deserves start and imo much better defender

I expect limerick to play a sweeper with Ronan Lynch playing midfield and Donovan dropping deep with Nash dropping to half forward and him and lynch running in from deep there's goals on that Galway full back line
    O brien is injured but will be able for twenty minutes if needed and imo right be on the bench as the bench isn't that strong in expirence

This team has no pressure done all and more that was asked of them and win or loose management deserved second term as next year is going see these lads better again

Tough game to call but my instinct and gut feeling is swaying me to limerick to edge it it

It's perfectly set up imo for Limerick
    I'm going myself and will be shouting for Limerick and this could be a classic imo

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

Scored a lot for Bruff but was the best corner-back on the minor panel over the past two years, and I thought he was good for the intermediates, particularly against Clare.

We're not exactly overflowing with options in the full-back line though, I'd see him as one of the two best corner-backs in the panel, along with Casey. No surprise to see him there.

It's a strong-looking Galway team but I'm surprised that so many people are making them favourites. I don't know a huge amount about their team in general but this is a strong, combative, hard-working Limerick team. I have faith in them.

Probably because 8 of them played on the intermediate team which won the All Ireland recently, with 3 on the senior team and Paul Killeen who often comes on as a sub.

Although they probably havent trained that much collectively - the intermediates train with the seniors and so the calibre of training would be high.

As every year, it will be Galways first match but a lot of them have played a good bit of hurling this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Really looking forward to this one. I think the changes might help Limerick because of the element of unknown that they bring. I'm sure Galway will have looked at the games in the Munster championship and maybe had a plan in place. Now however there is a new corner back and in particular the change in the forwards will open up all sorts of options. Now I'm sure it won't take them long to work out the switches but at that level any advantage is vital. Also don't forget the role of the subs. We have seen the impact of the panel in the Tipp and Clare games already and having guys like Flanagan or Coleman to come in (along with Kevin O Brien, Jack Kelliher etc) can only be a positive. Will be tight with less than a score in it at the end I reckon. Hopefully we will be on the right side of it. COYBIG.

Finn deserves start and imo much better defender

I expect limerick to play a sweeper with Ronan Lynch playing midfield and Donovan dropping deep with Nash dropping to half forward and him and lynch running in from deep there's goals on that Galway full back line
    O brien is injured but will be able for twenty minutes if needed and imo right be on the bench as the bench isn't that strong in expirence

This team has no pressure done all and more that was asked of them and win or loose management deserved second term as next year is going see these lads better again

Tough game to call but my instinct and gut feeling is swaying me to limerick to edge it it

It's perfectly set up imo for Limerick
    I'm going myself and will be shouting for Limerick and this could be a classic imo

I prefer Ronan Lynch as a midfielder myself, but I don't see them changing up their plan much from the two games in Munster tbh.

I'd say Cian Lynch will be the one to drop into midfield like the two other games and we won't play a proper sweeper but Barry will be a deep enough centre-back and the energy of the three lads in midfield should be enough to cover us, hopefully. Maybe they'll change it up but I wouldn't bet on it.

I could definitely see Nash coming out to the 40, but Morrissey or Ryan could also do that. Morrissey is a fine centre-forward, and Nash is a big goal threat. Ryan is just a serious hurler and will do brilliantly in the corner or at centre-forward or half-back or anywhere.

KOB is a big player to have on the bench, he has plenty of experience of U-21 and senior club, as well as county intermediate. A serious goal threat too. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave and Peter Casey are very talented players to have, and I suppose Sean Flanagan and Mark O'Callaghan will bring steel to the defence if called upon.

I wonder if Hegarty pulls up, will they bring Flanagan on as a straight swap like the last day, or maybe ALTC will be played there with a bit more gametime behind him? They could move Lynch or Ryan back to half-back but I wouldn't say that's too likely.

donnem33 wrote: »
    Probably because 8 of them played on the intermediate team which won the All Ireland recently, with 3 on the senior team and Paul Killeen who often comes on as a sub.

Although they probably havent trained that much collectively - the intermediates train with the seniors and so the calibre of training would be high.

As every year, it will be Galways first match but a lot of them have played a good bit of hurling this year!

That's fair enough actually. The thing is Limerick were favourites with the bookies (PP anyway) until the AI semi-final. I imagine it'll be very close. Galway caught us badly on the hop in 2011, didn't perform anywhere near we could... it must be hard for Galway to time their preparations right but traditionally they've done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

I prefer Ronan Lynch as a midfielder myself, but I don't see them changing up their plan much from the two games in Munster tbh.

I'd say Cian Lynch will be the one to drop into midfield like the two other games and we won't play a proper sweeper but Barry will be a deep enough centre-back and the energy of the three lads in midfield should be enough to cover us, hopefully. Maybe they'll change it up but I wouldn't bet on it.

I could definitely see Nash coming out to the 40, but Morrissey or Ryan could also do that. Morrissey is a fine centre-forward, and Nash is a big goal threat. Ryan is just a serious hurler and will do brilliantly in the corner or at centre-forward or half-back or anywhere.

KOB is a big player to have on the bench, he has plenty of experience of U-21 and senior club, as well as county intermediate. A serious goal threat too. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave and Peter Casey are very talented players to have, and I suppose Sean Flanagan and Mark O'Callaghan will bring steel to the defence if called upon.

I wonder if Hegarty pulls up, will they bring Flanagan on as a straight swap like the last day, or maybe ALTC will be played there with a bit more gametime behind him? They could move Lynch or Ryan back to half-back but I wouldn't say that's too likely.

That's fair enough actually. The thing is Limerick were favourites with the bookies (PP anyway) until the AI semi-final. I imagine it'll be very close. Galway caught us badly on the hop in 2011, didn't perform anywhere near we could... it must be hard for Galway to time their preparations right but traditionally they've done well.

True, it was a great match that semi final though! But that was a very strong Galway team, a team who were robbed of a minor final in 2008 with a last minute goal against kk!

Although quietly confident travelling to Thurles tomorrow, the one thing I would be wary of is our management. I dont rate Johnny Kelly or Tony Keady and dont think they are strong enough making decisions during the game. Except for most of them are in with the seniors I would have Limerick fairly strong favourite, saw them on tv in Munster and they are very impressive!

Best of luck to both teams anyway - here is hoping for a cracker!

Fireball why would you think Paddy o Loughlin would get a call up?

lim4ev wrote: »
    Fireball why would you think Paddy o Loughlin would get a call up?

Scored a lot for Kilmallock this club Championship and in the latter stages of the AI club last season, he looked like a real threat in attack.

Galways expeience coming to the fore, our young forwards really beginning to struggle towards the end. Some sloppy stuff when in possession at times. Will need a goal and someone to take charge up front to win this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I said at the start of the year I thought Limerick would win a Senior all Ireland within three years. I didn't think yed regress as much this year as he did and so might have to extend that prediction, but I was basing it on the fact that ye were solid in the backs and midfield and all I thought was lacking was a bit more class in the forwards, and I have to say I was stunned by the talent I saw the in the Munster minor final replay the best forward display I've seen at minor.

9 players that started still underage again next year is it? Some performance and though u21 is unforgiving with no backdoor Limerick will surely be very competitive for the next few years. Serious talent in Limerick right now.

Outstanding win like I very much predicted
    I'll give more indepth foresight in to it later but superb win absoultey super win showing real want real dog within, hunger desire and skill and tactical wise management bar playing lynch forward got it perfect
    Lynch should played deep from the start and is not a forward as seen by yes win ball but no idea what do it in speed striking and instinct isn't there such caught over carrying ist half after winning a great ball
    He would get terrific if midfield
    Limerick wont have any chance if he's played as a forward v Wexford

Must be midfield
    Byrnes was outstanding,, English McCarthy goal, hegarty and o connell, Donovan was outstanding at midfield as was corner back casey who was magnificent
    Man match imo morrisey who worked hard got real leadership inspiring point and superb goal who when fouled showed kk ruthless conviction bury goal and then great run lost ball worked hard get ball back create great point for Dempsey
    Colin Ryan was very good but needs to be half forward
    Cian lynch was quiet by he's high standards but worked hard

This limerick team i said had more in them and were flying in training
    I was right, in the second half they upped the gears and powered away
    Huge credit to kiely and cork awesome trainer ross Corbett
    This was closer than the score board suggested but limerick never imo looked like loosing in the total control in the second half

Whatever happens this year limerick management players done more than expected
    Huge sustainable progression in lot these won under sixteen all ireland in 2011, minor all ireland final now under twenty one
    There's a steady line of progression
    Imo people can't be fickle or naive to say next few years are automatically set up senior when senior set up tactical wise are imo extremely weak so unless changes next year senior these lads won't develop elite senior level imo
    Today again proved like I always said talent is in limerick needs be coached only

The final is for another day but I think limerick will be under dogs and have huge chance but I always thought Wexford would win and think expirence last two years will edge it for Wexford who looked like going through motion today and just won handy enough
    Expect a tougher Wexford the next day

Congratulations to limerick and all the players and panel for an outstanding win and I'll be cheering ye on in the final again. Senior potential imo, casey, Byrnes, two lynch, morrisey and Colin Ryan have the potential with English

They all stood up, great win, Well done to all.

• Advertisement

They all stood up, great win, Well done to all.

One huge postive for Limerick is while traditional wise senior huge bridge to cross in final normally here they enter there fifth final having never lost a final winning all previous four
    Wexford don't do final at this grade well having contested twelve and lost elven the last win fifty years ago so limerick will have an edge here you would think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement