Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

A fine win, no doubt about that. I'm still not quite sure that we have hit top gear, I think we have another level to hit, whether we'll ever actually hit it I don't know.

I would say that some of our star names under-performed by their standards again today, both Lynches, but the overall team is very very strong- Morrissey got 1-3, Dempsey 0-4, Ryan 0-3, Byrnes got 0-3 as well, I think. That's some scoring. The lull before half-time which has happened in every game is the most worrying thing and Wexford are probably better equipped to punish it than the others. As far as I'm concerned, we've been comfortably the better team in every game so far but have let teams make it a lot closer than it should have been. At times, we look very very good with some lovely, slick hurling; backs dominating their men, forwards getting out in front, lovely interpassing from back to front. But at other times, we get caught on the ball, make some silly decisions and cough up scores too easily. I suppose it's the nature of U-21s but we're a good side all the same.

Galway looked a bit off the pace in the first 20 minutes, but got a lot of momentum towards the end of the first half. In the 2nd half, we upped it again and they weren't quite able to live with it. A few fine performances- Paul Killeen, Éanna Burke and McHugo all impressed me. Brian Molloy got some wonderful scores, Flynn was pretty dangerous. Whelan was always a threat with his pace but we handled him well, Mannion was quiet by his standards. Galway probably weren't helped by not having a game to date, they didn't look as fluent as us and may have been more of a threat had they had a few competitive games. Still, it's not as if we blew them away, the goal decided it.

We lined out how I expected tbh, both Morrissey & Nash came out to the '40 for most of the game, Ronan Lynch went inside and Cian Lynch went to midfield. There were some switches throughout the game, Morrissey and Lynch did switch for a bit, as did Ryan and Nash but for the most part, that was how they lined out.

McCarthy did well for the most part, one very good save from Flynn, rebound probably should have been buried by Whelan. Made a save from a 21-yard free too but it was an awful shot. His 'arrowed puckouts' didn't come off today, think he lost possession on all of them and in the second half hit too much ball on top of the Galway 7 who was dominating.

Full-back line were good. Richie English was very commanding, his positional sense is excellent. Could mature into a fine hurler. Casey is a fine, sticky corner-back, proper man-marker- probably the best of the line today. Finn had a good game too.

Half-back line were very strong as usual. Won a lot of clean ball, broke a lot of ball. Monster of a performance from Hegarty at wing-back. He looks a bit awkward at times but he's a huge presence under a high ball. Barry was good at centre-back, again his use of the ball is superb- one or two mistakes alright but a good game. Same with Byrnes, few fine scores, couple of mistakes but for the most part kept his man quiet.

Midfield worked very very hard as usual. O'Donovan was the standout of the two today, ran himself into the ground, kept going till the very end. Superb hurler. Ryan is a fine player today and they work excellently in tandem. Lynch was quiet by his standards today, lost the ball badly a few times. He was definitely bodychecked a few times as he flicked the ball into space which Horgan decided to ignore. Still scored a point and set up a few more but he can play a lot lot better, everyone knows that, including him. Which is encouraging, as he is the most talented player in the squad.

Nash proved any doubters wrong, looked very good. Battles for the ball very well, real combative hurler. Got a nice score but he was a good puckout target throughout and I love the way he takes on a man when he gets the ball in his hand. Real goal threat. Morrissey was superb, I really like him at centre-forward, the way he can score off either side. Worked so hard. But then he's so good closer to goal too, his finish for the goal was unbelievable, as good as you'll see. Really impressed with Dempsey today too, worked very hard and picked up 0-4 from play but always seemed to be there as an option.

Ronan Lynch was quiet today. Lovely score from a sideline, one great long-range free, one particularly good setup for a point too when he had a lovely first touch, kept his head and picked out Morrissey in space. But was generally kept on a leash. Lacks top-end pace but is a fine hurler all the same. Can also do better. I think Ryan can do better too, but he still scored 0-3 from play and caused his man problems. Perhaps needed better service, the scores he did get were top class. I'm a huge fan of his and he was in space with a goal chance on twice if he could have been picked out. Didn't win as much in the air today though, which I would expect from him. It's encouraging that so many of our players could be seen to have bigger games in them.

Of the bench, only Andrew La Touche Cosgrave and Peter Casey got a real run. Both impressed. ALTC with one great catch in particular and Casey was a real livewire who caused problems with his pace, out in front of his man a good few times.

We're into the final, I'd definitely have faith in this team to go and win it. They can improve and will probably have to, Wexford will be no pushovers. A fine win though. Last word on the ref- I thought he was awful. Frees on both sides not given, plenty of pulling, dragging, bodychecks, chops just ignored. I'm all for letting the game flow but a foul is a foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I'd agree with the comments on the ref he was brutal for both sides but more so for us I felt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

One huge postive for Limerick is while traditional wise senior huge bridge to cross in final normally here they enter there fifth final having never lost a final winning all previous four
    Wexford don't do final at this grade well having contested twelve and lost elven the last win fifty years ago so limerick will have an edge here you would think

True enough. Wexford losing finals 50 years ago will definitely affect the mentality of the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

A very good display and well worth the win. Some concerns I might have had were well and truly answered and management vindicated.Well done to all.

Great chance in the final now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

bruschi wrote: »
    True enough. Wexford losing finals 50 years ago will definitely affect the mentality of the lads.

Wrong never said loosing final fifty years ago I said loosing eleven finals and not winning one in fifty years not loosing final fifty years ago but loosing lot since then more to the point mate, would be huge traditional barrier to break but I would think they could win
    Just pointing out huge traditional values against them which don't be so naive to think doesn't add to the occasion

• Advertisement

shockframe wrote: »
    A very good display and well worth the win. Some concerns I might have had were well and truly answered and management vindicated.Well done to all.

Great chance in the final now.

The way I always judge management is by who they bring in in the management back room team
    From day one I rated kiely
    He's not the greatest manager on he's own but he's guy surrounding himself top top guys and every one management team has defined role
    Corbett was highly rated and won ulster minor football monaghan was well regarded kerry minor football got all ireland semi final worked many camoige counties and before limerick went him many clubs two counties I'm told wanted him
    Apparently he nmet kiely and was blown away he's vision this set up

Corbett knew he was joining set up immense potential

This is no surprise they done well
    The only surprise is doing so well year one
    But like I said all winter out of all management with limerick this year this is the best one I watched them train twice this year there intensity better than senior training
    I posted Saturday these lads were flying in training and there more in them I heard
    It proved it

And I agree with fire ball there's more in them
    I have no fear this team bar Wexford slightly bit expirence
    Should be a cracking final

Just look at the way they played the sweeper
    Only limerick team plays it this year effectively consistently but still play fast direct game when needs be

Only fault is playing lynch as a forward
    Apparently he wants to play there
    They need to be ruthless and tell lynch he's midfield or defender or won't start

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Wrong never said loosing final fifty years ago I said loosing eleven finals and not winning one in fifty years not loosing final fifty years ago but loosing lot since then more to the point mate, would be huge traditional barrier to break but I would think they could win
    Just pointing out huge traditional values against them which don't be so naive to think doesn't add to the occasion

That's not what you said above
    One huge postive for Limerick
    limerick will have an edge here you would think

History in a final for underage teams has absolutely no relevance to an upcoming final. It's a side note discussion that has no relevance to form or predictions and doesn't give any team an edge because their granddads lost a game donkeys years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Only fault is playing lynch as a forward
    Apparently he wants to play there
    They need to be ruthless and tell lynch he's midfield or defender or won't start
    Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Lynch isnt good enough to usurp any of the half back line. He doesnt have pace but has a great head on him, he's always going to start because of his ability on frees and his cool head, well worth his start.

When is the senior management being decided? Anyone know what the process is and whats going to happen. TJ's stock is falling as the u-21's keep winning imo

I think Lynch is a better half-back or midfielder, but there's not a hope in hell he'll move back there now because those 6 players have probably been our best.

Lynch as an individual is probably better than any of the three half-backs but they work well together as a unit. I would say Byrnes is a better centre-back than Barry, but Barry revels in that deep centre-back role, basically as a sweeper but doubling as centre-back. Whereas Byrnes and Hegarty push up a bit more- Hegarty is just a beast of a man. They won't be changed.

And again, Lynch is a fine hurler but the pace and work rate of Ryan, O'Donovan and Cian Lynch is exceptional. Lynch has everything but pace really and he just wouldn't suit the style of play that our midfield currently employs and really our work rate has been key to getting the wins. How many times against Galway were there 4 men hounding an individual, turning the ball over and setting up a scoring chance?

Lynch will stay up front, he's well able to take a score if he gets a chance. I don't think we actually have a better forward on the bench but if he does under-perform, we'll have KOB, Hanley and ALTC all trying to get in, which is good. He showed what he can do against Clare and I expect he'll do well in the final. I imagine that if he does step up to senior it will probably be at wing-back, it's been a position of weakness at senior level for a bit. Midfield has actually been one of our strongest areas and while I've always liked him there- it's a position where pace and work rate are probably most important.

• Advertisement

Lynch isnt good enough to usurp any of the half back line. He doesnt have pace but has a great head on him, he's always going to start because of his ability on frees and his cool head, well worth his start.

When is the senior management being decided? Anyone know what the process is and whats going to happen. TJ's stock is falling as the u-21's keep winning imo

The talk is he'll stay this year and be asked to freshen up the management team but that would remain to be seen who he'll get

Who's available is the key
    Kinnerk is back soon but he's meant to go back to clare if true
    The worry is as great as under twenty one win is some limerick are naive to say that Ryan hasn't young talent past few years work with but now he does and next few years he'll do better when key points imo is coaching in senior limerick all back room team you would have concerns are they good enough to make these excellent potential players better players and development system suit them

As for lynch he's an outstanding player always as minor favourite mine but I think while he can be good as a forward consistently he's not and I think much much much better midfielder or half back
    He may lack pace some suggest at half back but imo such excellent hurler and reader the game he would be fine as mark Ellis and Joyce kk aren't the fastest but they are excellent
    Lynch would be ideal half back of midfield sweeper role etc
    That was a huge huge boost to limerick hurling the win and again proved the talent is there
    Kiely gave brilliant interview after it taking the pressure of he's team said under twenty one all ireland isn't huge in limerick needs senior not under twenty all ireland more
    He was right to say that
    This is an excellent set up and Corbett outstanding with them and it's not any surprise players praised him in interview after munster final win

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

Will the club games go ahead next weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

You seem to be right TTM re the u21 management I was speaking to a few lads who know lads on the team and they all rave about the training and Kiely in particular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Pandiani wrote: »
    Will the club games go ahead next weekend?

I'd say they will to be honest. There'll be a big pile up if they postpone the matches but I suppose if John Kiely wants them postponed in the best interests of his team and if the board crave success, they'll give in to Kielys plea.

lim4ev wrote: »
    You seem to be right TTM re the u21 management I was speaking to a few lads who know lads on the team and they all rave about the training and Kiely in particular

This is no exaggeration but the speed and intensity and innovation at training in relation to the drills has imo been better than senior
    Corbett has loads of experience at inter county both codes and big in to modern innovation
    Senior set up would benefit from this
    I have been a fan this management from day one as they embrace change

http://m.limerickleader.ie/news/martin-kiely-hurling-review-process-is-a-shambles-1-6914126

Hard to know what to make of this
    I had thought players were in support of Ryan
    I think hes imo should stay on as limerick don't need a new manager now but selection team should be changed
    But he needs good selection team imo but should stay on
    I posted this article as Paddy asked the question regards what was the story with the senior set up

lim4ev wrote: »

One other man often forgotten in this under twenty one set up is jimmy quility who is outstanding coach also
    Led ballyhea to intermediate title cork last year and back to senior after huge absence
    He done it in one year
    Top coach and got the best out of pa Callaghan

Yes were beaten in munster championship by kerry team but Callaghan and Ronan were missing
    That's the point with kiely in not he's great on he's own but he's surrounding himself top coaches like quility and Corbett and that makes kiely good manager in facilities a top set up
    Kiely prepares team well as seen by results
    Kiely is good manager as he knows good support management is key like any manager

Kiely in time would be good possibly for senior but imo should stay with under twenty one next year ist and continue to develop them

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

One other man often forgotten in this under twenty one set up is jimmy quility who is outstanding coach also
    Led ballyhea to intermediate title cork last year and back to senior after huge absence
    He done it in one year
    Top coach and got the best out of pa Callaghan

Yes were beaten in munster championship by kerry team but Callaghan and Ronan were missing
    That's the point with kiely in not he's great on he's own but he's surrounding himself top coaches like quility and Corbett and that makes kiely good manager in facilities a top set up
    Kiely prepares team well as seen by results
    Kiely is good manager as he knows good support management is key like any manager

Kiely in time would be good possibly for senior but imo should stay with under twenty one next year ist and continue to develop them

Agree with all that, I think Kiely and the team should stay where they are for at least next year anyway, with 11 underage from the starting team and a reasonable minor team this year it's important they stay on and continue developing these players...most good managers are the same really, they realise they can't do it all themselves and delegate and surround themselves with good people, it's something TJ needs to learn to do...there are some noises around alright, including the Limerick leader, so remains to be seen what the county board are thinking....

One other key point in the lead up to the final will imo be dealing with the hype
    Hopefully while yes limerick media have job to do they unlike greatly exaggeration minor build up last year with huge pull out most senior team wouldn't do media will apply common sense

There is imo no need for huge pull out profile players as most true fans know already enough these lads

Yes a preview etc but management only ones do interview and captain
    Limerick media need to play this game down
    When team win then time so huge write up etc

Limerick leader this morning front page limerick giants headline
    Imo putting huge pressure these lads with headline limerick giants
    It's only all ireland semi final

Kiely even said that himself no medal for this game
    Limerick good win would sufficed
    Lessons hopefully be learned from minor build up media last year
    Yes players say don't read them but even senior player say other counties at times hard to avoid hype in media
    This is a young team

Limerick media have history getting carried away
    Kiely and management should close up shop for final Yes have do some media stuff but keep it brief and simple

There's an all ireland to be won
    Some media can be fickle enough your best friend when you win you loose not as much
    Limerick win all Ireland no short limelight
    So there's time and a place

The management imo hold the key to deal with expectations and I believe this management will curb it well enough
    All pressure is on Wexford who are huge favourite and limerick some of the media would do well to study how good kerry media play the poor mouth and should follow yerra talk and not blow up their own team chances hugely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Kiely should get 2017 as well unless he makes a complete balls of it next year. We're on the cusp of a potential three in a row starting with this final, it's a big ask, and I don't personally see it happening (I'd gladly take "just" the one) but nonetheless a three in a row is a realistic target right now, and if we win this one, continuity in the management team will only aid a potential three in a row.

He's done a fantastic job, assembled a good backroom team, TJ take note... We have one of the top under 21 panels in the country for the next two years and Kiely has earned the right to work with them.

• Advertisement

I definitely think we do have a serious U-21 team and will have another two years. I think we threw away one, if not two minor All-Irelands in the past two years and now we're favourites for an U-21 final. Talk of three-in-a-row is definitely premature considering we haven't even won one yet but we are likely to be there or thereabouts for the next few years (although Waterford & Kilkenny in particular will have something to say about that). And we will need a good management team in charge if we want to be strongy.

But U-21 means absolutely nothing in comparison with senior. I am one of those that believes we have the talent available to win an All-Ireland if the right coaching team are in place to get the best out of them. We still perhaps lack a little depth in some areas, some players hold onto their positions too easily but we have good players coming through and I think if we got our tactics & fitness right, we could beat anyone. There's a core of the team from the 2005 minor team and how long more will they have at the top level? Richie Mc, Jim-Bob, Hickey, Condon, Gavin- a couple more are slightly older than that again. You can't just dump out all the senior players either and bring in the 21s- if we could get the right blend between that group and the currents 21s, it would be great.

But my point is that we need a good coaching team in charge of the seniors next year, as well as the 21s. Whether that's with TJ heading a new group of coaches or Kiely, I don't know. I certainly wouldn't be against Ross Corbett being asked to work with the seniors, they all seem to speak very highly of him. And if we can get Kinnerk involved at any level of Limerick hurling- even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

One other key point in the lead up to the final will imo be dealing with the hype
    Hopefully while yes limerick media have job to do they unlike greatly exaggeration minor build up last year with huge pull out most senior team wouldn't do media will apply common sense

There is imo no need for huge pull out profile players as most true fans know already enough these lads

Yes a preview etc but management only ones do interview and captain
    Limerick media need to play this game down
    When team win then time so huge write up etc

Kiely even said that himself no medal for this game
    Limerick good win would sufficed
    Lessons hopefully be learned from minor build up media last year
    Yes players say don't read them but even senior player say other counties at times hard to avoid hype in media
    This is a young team

Limerick media have history getting carried away
    Kiely and management should close up shop for final Yes have do some media stuff but keep it brief and simple

There's an all ireland to be won
    Some media can be fickle enough your best friend when you win you loose not as much
    Limerick win all Ireland no short limelight
    So there's time and a place

The management imo hold the key to deal with expectations and I believe this management will curb it well enough
    All pressure is on Wexford who are huge favourite and limerick some of the media would do well to study how good kerry media play the poor mouth and should follow yerra talk and not blow up their own team chances hugely

The Limerick leader and 95fm have one aim only, to sell papers and get people listening, if by having a pull out the week of the final sells more papers then that is what the leader will do, it's not their job to dampen hype, that sells papers, advertising etc. which is the game they're in...the job of the management and the players themselves is to not let the hype get to them, there is a serious appetite for success in Limerick and it manifests itself in everyone getting over excited when things go well for a team, that's a function of being starved of success and it's just one of the things they have to overcome if they want to win an AI...
    If getting to and winning AI finals is more common in Limerick then the hype will stop as media know it won't sell anything more by hyping things up...

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I definitely think we do have a serious U-21 team and will have another two years. I think we threw away one, if not two minor All-Irelands in the past two years and now we're favourites for an U-21 final. Talk of three-in-a-row is definitely premature considering we haven't even won one yet but we are likely to be there or thereabouts for the next few years (although Waterford & Kilkenny in particular will have something to say about that). And we will need a good management team in charge if we want to be strongy.

But U-21 means absolutely nothing in comparison with senior. I am one of those that believes we have the talent available to win an All-Ireland if the right coaching team are in place to get the best out of them. We still perhaps lack a little depth in some areas, some players hold onto their positions too easily but we have good players coming through and I think if we got our tactics & fitness right, we could beat anyone. There's a core of the team from the 2005 minor team and how long more will they have at the top level? Richie Mc, Jim-Bob, Hickey, Condon, Gavin- a couple more are slightly older than that again. You can't just dump out all the senior players either and bring in the 21s- if we could get the right blend between that group and the currents 21s, it would be great.

But my point is that we need a good coaching team in charge of the seniors next year, as well as the 21s. Whether that's with TJ heading a new group of coaches or Kiely, I don't know. I certainly wouldn't be against Ross Corbett being asked to work with the seniors, they all seem to speak very highly of him. And if we can get Kinnerk involved at any level of Limerick hurling- even better.
    I'd agree with that

The key with Corbett like any good coach is its easy to belive in him as he's record gives you reason to believe

He's done all the gaa coaching certs etc and Irish sport council also but key really key he's record

The guy has it all
    Administration duties awesome and leading man munster camoige
    This guy takes roles often away from the limelight
    He was involved in gaa camps kerry and minors football got all ireland semi final and got st pats senior county semi final
    Kerry rated him hugely as s and c man
    Monaghan minor got all ireland semi final won ulster title
    Down minor hurling ulster final
    Fitzgibbon cup winning ul team
    He worked different camoige teams ulster
    He's young coach worked with football and hurling and camoige so incorporating skill from all in he's learning process
    He's used to working in dynamic modern sport environment
    Top top man that who not just s and c limerick but does with other some training drills also

You see another point must be remembered he's good with under twenty one as kiely facilities he's growth as coach like quility kiely brought them in and trust and allow them huge input in team

Bring Corbett in senior may not work unless Ryan allows him same input and gives him same support as kiely for example
    It's not just picking names either and saying these will work in Ryan need not only pick good management team but more importantly need focus on what does well man management etc but with greatest respect him needs have back seat main coaching team and he should facilities others
    He should allow coaches develop system and huge input in team selection as he brings in new men but he still has huge role team selection and system hard see what can change

Its not all about pride and passion he must learn
    Ryan could work but only if he brings in top men and he does kiely role in management team men but allows rest have huge input in to the team
    When you look at Corbett and quility record it was excellent and once they were brought in i said I no fears for kiely simply as he made statement of intent he had top top back room team

Ryan senior management imo have no proven outstanding records that would make you believe there good enough to win senior all ireland

Yes it seems harsh and is to get new back room team and leave management their as like blaming all on them when it's not but limerick senior backed themselves in corner imo when limerick can ill afford another drama and no stand out management available to come in so best scenario while not ideal is Ryan stays as manager finish he term but gets new back room team as clear limerick need fresh approach

And limerick team Saturday showed sweeper must be embraced and welcomed in hurling in limerick
    Just look at kerry purists football again two all ireland final in row all because they went against the kerry way and played style that suites modern game and let traditional ways go in they live in the moment and not the past
    Limerick can be great if they live in the moment not in the past imo
    Huge potential for Limerick but unless coaching is corrected at senior the all ireland will only remain a distant dream imo

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sportin

Kiely comes across as very impressive in his pre and post match interviews.
    Level headed, good at taking the pressure off his team and players and passing on the plaudits to others - see examples below.
    After Galway
    the42.ie/john-kiely-limerick-u21-hurling-2287588-Aug2015/

After Clare
    limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/manager-wants-victorious-u-21-hurlers-to-drive-on-1-6879567

After Tipp
    limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-u21-manager-we-had-to-fight-above-our-weight-1-6858392

Speaking to one of the players on the extended panel last night the players love the training, all speedy drills and in-house games, clear coaching instruction. Video analysis, dinner after training, no frills but well looked after at the same time.
    Well oiled management team, Quilty and Flavin doing most of the hurling coaching and drills and Corbett taking care of the conditioning and some hurling drills also, but its obvious to all who the boss is, Kiely. Kiely takes sessions also and is constantly looking for high workrate and speed.
    Every night there's a fresh training session and while Kiely and co are tough it sounds as though they are fair. I saw one of the training sessions myself and the players application was really impressive.

BTW the player i spoke was training on his own yesterday morning. Wants to get on the match day panel 25 or 26 i think are allowed to tog out. There have been changes to the team and panel for every game which is refreshing and it means that players have something to aim for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I think the county boarxd need to do something about the media, they should be told to tone it done or access to players, interviews etc would be curtailed dramatically - the hype is ridculous at times and has to effect the players to some extent.

From the sounds of it whats happening at u-21 level needs to be replicated exactly at senior level. The right people need to be put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

This is only the front page of the sports supplement not the front page of the actual paper. Green Giants is the headline. Nothing else of note happened in Limerick sport at the weekend so see nothing wrong with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Absolute nonsense, if the team is good enough then what's written in the media is completely irrelevant.

As if Kilkenny would be affected by banner headlines in the local press :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Please no talk of three. I have great confidence in this team to win this all Ireland. There are no weak players and we have leaders all over the pitch, and crucially are not relying on any one forward or player to carry us. There's a great panel there for the next few years, but let's not get carried away, the half back line that has been the platform for this team will be gone next year.

On Kiely, if he's offered the senior role, I'd be happy. You would hope that a good replacement will be found and with the number of good players coming through the intermediate squad takes on added importance. Hegarty is an example of an unpolished player but with massive potential, there's a few more with massive potential not ready for senior and a goos intermediate set up could really develop these guys. Some joined up u21 intermediate and senior structures would be beneficial. Kiely would be a good guy at the top.

I think at every level the time is now. In the next two years there is talent there to compete and win at senior and at u21. Senior is the focus though. If the decision is made to back TJ for another year then I'd back that.

But if Kiely is the best man for the job for senior next year the. He should be handed the reins, if he'll take them. No point in waiting just for the sake of it. There is potentially a very good blend of youth and experience over the next two years. As Clare have shown, opportunities have to be taken when they arise.

I think the county boarxd need to do something about the media, they should be told to tone it done or access to players, interviews etc would be curtailed dramatically - the hype is ridculous at times and has to effect the players to some extent.

From the sounds of it whats happening at u-21 level needs to be replicated exactly at senior level. The right people need to be put in place.

Absolutely as point that forgotten is limerick unlike kerry and kk have no legacy sustainable success so hype getting them and many former players different counties spoke the same

Ronan o gara spoke of munster v Northampton in European cup final fifteen years ago how munster played their final Friday night before the game huge expectation and hype got them

This was a professional rubgy team

Limerick in past have not coped with pressure so management must protect them

• Advertisement

Absolute nonsense, if the team is good enough then what's written in the media is completely irrelevant.

As if Kilkenny would be affected by banner headlines in the local press :rolleyes:

When you tried to compare and contrast kk history sustainable success to limerick my point well and truly made and I need to say no more as your point is proven be absoultey flawed by this comparison

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement