Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Please no talk of three. I have great confidence in this team to win this all Ireland. There are no weak players and we have leaders all over the pitch, and crucially are not relying on any one forward or player to carry us. There's a great panel there for the next few years, but let's not get carried away, the half back line that has been the platform for this team will be gone next year.

On Kiely, if he's offered the senior role, I'd be happy. You would hope that a good replacement will be found and with the number of good players coming through the intermediate squad takes on added importance. Hegarty is an example of an unpolished player but with massive potential, there's a few more with massive potential not ready for senior and a goos intermediate set up could really develop these guys. Some joined up u21 intermediate and senior structures would be beneficial. Kiely would be a good guy at the top.

I think at every level the time is now. In the next two years there is talent there to compete and win at senior and at u21. Senior is the focus though. If the decision is made to back TJ for another year then I'd back that.

But if Kiely is the best man for the job for senior next year the. He should be handed the reins, if he'll take them. No point in waiting just for the sake of it. There is potentially a very good blend of youth and experience over the next two years. As Clare have shown, opportunities have to be taken when they arise.
    All of what you say some of it is true however key key points is limerick won't win all ireland unless senior coaching is great

Ryan look like he'll stay
    Tbh not great management choices out there as daly isn't imo the man for the job
    Kiely and co can't be rushed have finish next year term
    You were for Ryan getting rushed appointment last year surely you realise hasty decision not good
    Give kiely second year under twenty one to show consistency

I think old past unfortunately what I feared and it saddens me say is coming back to haunt limerick now in cunningjham should got job before Ryan

Cunningjham year one with less talent than limerick have available done well one year Dublin maintenance division one status and beat limerick and Ryan twice and weren't disgraceful against Waterford

Year one building new team done well with Dublin to a point
    He would have been ideal with current status of limerick talent available and imo would have won all ireland with them

He's gone now so unfortunately limerick have to sit and wait to a degree as daly isn't the option and while tom Ryan wants another term as manager the talk is certainly he's not the answer either

I as you know said last year no need extend Ryan term that much and it's now proven be that way
    Best limerick can hope for is fresh management team imo with Ryan staying on finish two years as no option available at present

If what kiely in paper said is true that players don't believe Ryan any more well I'm sorry but I can't feel too much sympathy when not all but some didn't exactly support o grady when he left and as far last year were lauding Ryan in papers good manager and should have objected even when o grady went to Ryan being manager as he's no proven record

Players imo can't really speak out now as they backed Ryan last year and this year
    Unfortunately it's a difficult time for Limerick and very hard to find the perfect solution imo
    It could and should been all so different though if allowed cunningjham have the job as while fair enough some had doubts with him what's now proven is he's been better current set up and would have brought in good back room team to work with him

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Sportin wrote: »
    Kiely comes across as very impressive in his pre and post match interviews.
    Level headed, good at taking the pressure off his team and players and passing on the plaudits to others - see examples below.
    After Galway
    the42.ie/john-kiely-limerick-u21-hurling-2287588-Aug2015/

After Clare
    limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/manager-wants-victorious-u-21-hurlers-to-drive-on-1-6879567

After Tipp
    limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-u21-manager-we-had-to-fight-above-our-weight-1-6858392

Speaking to one of the players on the extended panel last night the players love the training, all speedy drills and in-house games, clear coaching instruction. Video analysis, dinner after training, no frills but well looked after at the same time.
    Well oiled management team, Quilty and Flavin doing most of the hurling coaching and drills and Corbett taking care of the conditioning and some hurling drills also, but its obvious to all who the boss is, Kiely. Kiely takes sessions also and is constantly looking for high workrate and speed.
    Every night there's a fresh training session and while Kiely and co are tough it sounds as though they are fair. I saw one of the training sessions myself and the players application was really impressive.

BTW the player i spoke was training on his own yesterday morning. Wants to get on the match day panel 25 or 26 i think are allowed to tog out. There have been changes to the team and panel for every game which is refreshing and it means that players have something to aim for
    I was talking to someone who knows the guy doing the video analysis. In house training games, sessions etc are recorded and feedback given to the players by management. He was also saying that the work the guy did before the Munster final was massive: basically he was told to crack the Clare puck outs and get the info to the lads on the management team. Fail to prepare prepare to fail...COYBIG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

It will be a difficult 3 weeks in keeping the hype down but I don't think there is much to fear.

It's easy for supporters and journalists to get carried away but in fairness it was low key in the last 3 weeks when it could have gone into overdrive.The squad and management have handled it well so far.

Wexford appear to have a very good manager in JJ Doyle there so don't let anyone take Wexford lightly.They havent got the riches of other underage academies so its a fine achivement to get to 2 finals. Doyle knows what it takes to win all irelands so we must be fully tuned in.

Another thing that should factored in is that their is plenty in the camp who know the hurt of losing an all ireland semi final at minor in 2013 and last years minor final defeat to kilkenny. The current bunch are not likely to have many memories of the 3 in a row so there isn't an all ireland won since. Not to mention that John Flavin and John Kiely also suffered the heartbreak of 96 as subs.You can be sure that everyone in the camp will know full well what's at stake and won't get carried away.We have been down that route too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sportin

I cant see Kiely joining the senior setup until he is finishes his business with the 21s.
    If he loses the final he comes back next year to try again.
    He wins the final he comes back next year for 2 in a row.

I think TJ gets reappointed and cleans out the rest of the management team and comes in with new faces acceptable (and suggested) by the CB.
    Simple politics Limerick style

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

There is a very good programme on TG4 tonight at 8 o'clock. It is about the LK and Galway senior hurling rivalry in 1980/81.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

I think Limerick should win the U21 too. One aspect looking forward to the game Limerick have going for them is English/BOC axis at the back. McDonald is obviously the major threat but Limerick look set to limit him as O'Connell plays that deep role very well, English is in good form too. Wexford have some other good forwards like Foley and Dunbar, but Limerick will have a better spread of scores. All six are making good contributions to the scoreboard. One thing is that this is definitely the biggest team Limerick will have faced this year, so dominating the airways and possession wont be as easy as it was v Clare and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/tj-ryan-makes-changes-to-his-limerick-hurling-management-1-6926255

Big news there; if he gets those two lads on-board, it would be a huge boost to the setup. Not confirmed as yet but the fact that they have been identified is something at least.

Lyons did a good job in 2013, but we weren't fit enough last year. Whether it was all his fault, I don't know, but a coach in charge of fitness/strength & conditioning- lives and dies by the condition of his players. O'Connor is highly regarded and a fresh face can't be a bad thing either.

Beary was probably the one with the most success behind him, but I suppose there was always the question, how couldn't you win with that Na Piarsaigh team? Kinnerk's credentials as a coach cannot be questioned and he was supposed to be fairly influential on the tactics side too. Let's hope that if he does come in that TJ listens to him and takes his opinions on board.

I'm not sure what Davy Clarke does in the setup, but it would appear that he'll survive.

If TJ can get those two on board, he'll surely be ratified to stay on himself. After that, there would still be a matter of getting the right players into the panel, and picking players in their correct positions. But if we get those two, it's a huge step in the right direction, I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Kinnerk will go to Limerick I'm fairly certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

No comment required on Kinnerk, hopefully they can convince him. And I've heard positive things on O'Connor.

I don't know either what Clarke brings to it, from what I can see he was just a replacement for Donal O'Grady, nothing more than a trusted ally for TJ, TJ was essentially the de facto number 2 in the joint managership. O'Grady goes, TJ replaces the de facto number 1 in O'Grady, and he brings on board his guy to take the 'assistant-manager' role he pretty much had under O'Grady. Jobs for the boyo's, not exclusively a bad thing, sometimes the 'boyo' is the right man for the job, I'm just not convinced Dave Clarke is the right man.

Beary and Lyons are made the fall guys, on the one hand harsh, on the other hand the team did not look adequately prepared at all. Hard to know how much of that was down to TJ, hopefully he has undergone some serious self-reflection himself and will delegate better next year. I'm a bit nervous on TJ now to be honest however, just concerned with some noises I've heard from the player camp, and I know of a highly regarded former player (who would have hurled with TJ and Clarke) who is adamant that TJ is nothing more than a spoofer.

Has to be said, the players aren't entirely blameless here either. It's easy to crucify the management once the season has concluded, it was a relatively happy and settled camp all year. They weren't worried with the poor league form, one high profile player on a tv appearance ridiculed the notion that 1B hurling would in any way compromise preparations, you'd hope that the players would be dying to get out of 1B and that they wouldn't make excuses and try to talk up 1B and justify their presence in that division. It struck me that the eye was always on July, and that nothing before then really mattered, poor performances aren't a problem, we'll come good when it matters. Any good team must take things one game at a time, the next game should always be the most important. If you're thinking four or five games ahead then you're not properly focused. It's all well and good aiming to peak for July and on-wards but if you take your foot off the gas up to then you'll be under-cooked. And we certainly had all the appearance of a team that was under-cooked.

I think this was a collective failure of management and the players, the players have gone largely untouched in the mean-time, the main focus has been on TJ and his backroom team, and to be honest I'm okay with that. We're a county that can be very harsh and below the belt when it comes to criticism of players, many disgraceful things said and posted about our players down the years, particularly the 3 in a row under 21 generation who were characterised as a shower of drunken louts. (Complete and utter bollox)

It's good to see that the knife is not being stuck into the current panel of players, but at the same time they too need to have a long hard look at themselves. At least the under 21 team has faced the squad with the reality that some of their places on the panel and starting team may not be so safe.

I think calling TJ a spoofer is a bit harsh- if he was completely out of his depth, we would never have ran Kilkenny close in 2014 or beaten Tipp or anything. All year the players seemed happy with TJ, but I imagine his skills lie in man management rather than tactical or even coaching skills. Clarke could be a genius for all I know, I just don't know what his role is... if it's just to be a man present as an assistant... it's not like it's the biggest backroom team in the world, he must have some actual duties.

Obviously neither of those names are confirmed yet, but the article does seem to imply that we are looking for 2 new coaches anyway and it's no surprise that those 2 are first-choice. Limerick men with a proven track record.

The players have got off a bit lightly in terms of criticism, but I think that's fair enough. There is a feeling within the county that they are a very talented bunch... the stars of the U-21 team from 2011 are pretty popular- Dowling & Hannon have been heralded as future stars since they were 15 or 16. These players showed what they can do over the past few years with some big wins, some big performances- I don't think people like criticising the likes of Hickey, Richie, Condon, Jim-Bob, Browne, Gavin... they have proven quality.

Most of the players weren't good enough this year but when you have players of that quality, I think it looks like the management is at fault. It's the same with Clare- look at the talent they have, Davy clearly isn't getting the best out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I think calling TJ a spoofer is a bit harsh- if he was completely out of his depth, we would never have ran Kilkenny close in 2014 or beaten Tipp or anything. All year the players seemed happy with TJ, but I imagine his skills lie in man management rather than tactical or even coaching skills. Clarke could be a genius for all I know, I just don't know what his role is... if it's just to be a man present as an assistant... it's not like it's the biggest backroom team in the world, he must have some actual duties.
    I would agree with that. I'm not sure if the word used was "spoofer" or "bluffer" but he definitely said and reiterated it. I was surprised because the man in question would have played his hurling under Tom Ryan and Eamonn Cregan, even if they didn't get on particularly well I thought there would at the very least be mutual respect between the man and the likes of Clarke and Ryan he would have hurled with. Wish I could name the guy as it would surprise people but he made the comments in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/tj-ryan-makes-changes-to-his-limerick-hurling-management-1-6926255

Big news there; if he gets those two lads on-board, it would be a huge boost to the setup. Not confirmed as yet but the fact that they have been identified is something at least.

Lyons did a good job in 2013, but we weren't fit enough last year. Whether it was all his fault, I don't know, but a coach in charge of fitness/strength & conditioning- lives and dies by the condition of his players. O'Connor is highly regarded and a fresh face can't be a bad thing either.

Beary was probably the one with the most success behind him, but I suppose there was always the question, how couldn't you win with that Na Piarsaigh team? Kinnerk's credentials as a coach cannot be questioned and he was supposed to be fairly influential on the tactics side too. Let's hope that if he does come in that TJ listens to him and takes his opinions on board.

I'm not sure what Davy Clarke does in the setup, but it would appear that he'll survive.

If TJ can get those two on board, he'll surely be ratified to stay on himself. After that, there would still be a matter of getting the right players into the panel, and picking players in their correct positions. But if we get those two, it's a huge step in the right direction, I feel.
    Great news, as many in Clare put the success in 2013 down to those two as much as anything else, will they get the freedom to put their ideas into action? I assume they would be putting that view forward before accepting a role after their experiences in Clare after 2013,
    as you say the other factor is getting a balanced team with the players in their right positions and fostering a spirit of competition in the panel where players are fighting for a place on the team or on the subs bench or on the panel, as what seems to be happening in the u21 panel, nothing should be set in stone as far as places are concerned, the management team needed a freshening up, the playing panel needs the same...hopefully the leader hasn't jumped the gun as it would be hugely encouraging to get these two involved with 2 or 3 to step up from the u21 team...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Great news, as many in Clare put the success in 2013 down to those two as much as anything else, will they get the freedom to put their ideas into action? I assume they would be putting that view forward before accepting a role after their experiences in Clare after 2013,
    as you say the other factor is getting a balanced team with the players in their right positions and fostering a spirit of competition in the panel where players are fighting for a place on the team or on the subs bench or on the panel, as what seems to be happening in the u21 panel, nothing should be set in stone as far as places are concerned, the management team needed a freshening up, the playing panel needs the same...hopefully the leader hasn't jumped the gun as it would be hugely encouraging to get these two involved with 2 or 3 to step up from the u21 team...

That's it exactly will they have the full power control and freedom to do it their way in they want possession short game it's not open for debate by players or management

Kinnerk coached this game even at Caoimh school so he prefers this style

No doubt this will imo have a huge say in they joining in there well proven coaches and no point joining set up not allowed do things there way
    Nothing has been decided yet so it will be very interesting with Kinnerk

I had predicted and correctly so limerick wouldn't change Ryan now and selection team best way forward and ccb for once got it right but my view is who ever goes in now will have full control to point coaching picking team in yes Ryan will have input but I think it if Kinnerk and connor go in yes Ryan is management name and will talk the talk as manager but real management are coaches and I think ryan has lost real power if things change in ccb only kept him on basis new set up and imo done it save face as they appointed him three year deal but also know option available are slim and some delegates not for daly joining
    Kinnerk was ask join last year and offered good expenses package correctly so mileage etc but refused

Kinnerk imo will go where he knows he's hands on coaching he's way
    Bringing o connor might help Kinnerk join in he knows he has back up two against one in connor he worked with and will support he's ways and if problem with players or management looks better have two than one voicing concerns

O grady voiced concerns it was one voice and no support went against him
    This is the difference than last year in Kinnerk would have a coach he worked with before with him
    You need that in limerick as history shows players some fans are not for change from traditional style hurling
    It will be interesting to see if Kinnerk goes there
    I said all along I didn't think he would go there as he wouldn't have control like In clare but if he goes with o connor then imo clearly shown that even though public wise won't be said but behind the scenes it will be Ryan and Kinnerk running the show
    lf so limerick have a huge chance to win an all ireland in a few years
    Hanlei was correct in some players have to take ownership also in not long ago they were supporting management

As for the mentioned by poster Ryan wasn't that bad as kk game showed last year
    Results and games since imo show that was a one off and kk were no where near the team then as in the final and the weather played a huge part in it being a close game
    This year proved clearly in league and championship limerick were never as good as they thought or the media made them out to be
    If these lads join the management it's absolutely great for Limerick and will be the team to beat in munster going ahead of waterford and tippeary who are going imo to have huge problem next year under selector that isn't fresh management tipp need

I would agree with that. I'm not sure if the word used was "spoofer" or "bluffer" but he definitely said and reiterated it. I was surprised because the man in question would have played his hurling under Tom Ryan and Eamonn Cregan, even if they didn't get on particularly well I thought there would at the very least be mutual respect between the man and the likes of Clarke and Ryan he would have hurled with. Wish I could name the guy as it would surprise people but he made the comments in private.

It's interesting. Especially since TJ seems like a pretty likeable guy. Obviously I'd give more credence to an opinion of a player who has actually played under him but it is something to note. I really really hope we get Kinnerk though.

As for the mentioned by poster Ryan wasn't that bad as kk game showed last year
    Results and games since imo show that was a one off and kk were no where near the team then as in the final and the weather played a huge part in it being a close game
    This year proved clearly in league and championship limerick were never as good as they thought or the media made them out to be

It wasn't just the KK game though. In every Championship game last year, we were a step above any match this year, even the Clare game which we won.

Tactically, condition-wise, individual performances, work rate... all were much better. If we had brought the same this year, we would have beaten Dublin handily, who were not good on the day. I don't know why there was such a drop-off, the fault does lie with the management, 2014 should have been something to build on.

I'm happy to stick with him if there is a good backroom team. Look at Anthony Cunningham- Galway were hopeless in 2013 & 2014, pretty much every Galway fan wanted him gone and with good reason, but there were a few adjustments to the backroom team and they improved.

If we don't get Kinnerk & O'Connor though, we do need replacements of that quality. Now there aren't too many Paul Kinnerks around the place but we have to have both a good coach and a tactical brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

With all this talk of the two lads in question, is it gonna be a case of "what if" all next year if these guys head back to clare.

You would imagine some deal has been done already for the leader to be even mentioning names at this point. I know they have to sell papers but who told them tj has pinpointed these two. Can we not do our business before we go tell all to the local papers?

pajoguy wrote: »
    With all this talk of the two lads in question, is it gonna be a case of "what if" all next year if these guys head back to clare.

You would imagine some deal has been done already for the leader to be even mentioning names at this point. I know they have to sell papers but who told them tj has pinpointed these two. Can we not do our business before we go tell all to the local papers?

I would agree on that. It doesn't sound like a deal is sorted yet and someone, most likely TJ, is going to look pretty silly if we don't get them. In fairness, I doubt he wanted the news to leak before anything was done... it could have come from anywhere. They only care about papers.

I don't see the two lads going back to Clare tbh, but they could still turn down Limerick for any number of reasons. If we don't get O'Connor, we should ask Corbett, discreetly if possible. A coach on the level of Kinnerk... no one pops to mind immediately tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

This sounds like good news. I feel for Beary and Lyons though, it's clear that some change was needed but they seem to be the scapegoats here. Beary will be a boost to Na P presuming he returns to work with them in some capacity. Lyons has been highly spoken of from all I've heard and has had the team in great shape for a number of years, this year seeming to be an aberration for some reason. No mention of Clarke or Downes, presume they stay involved? Downes is a top coach, not sure what Clarke brings and don't see that he should be the one retained.

It's as good a change as could be expected. TJ as manager can have no excuses if the season doesn't go well. From a wider perspective, Kiely gets another year with a strong group of u21s and if he continues to prepare them well and they perform well then he's in pole position to step into the senior job.

We also seem to have a good intermediate set up which I think could be very important the next few years. There's a good few young players out there who won't break into the senior squad straight out of u21, but certainly could develop into senior intercounty hurlers. Hegarty for example, serious talent but very raw yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

I’m inclined to agree with Zombie’s source on this one.

The leader had it that TJ spent the week in Cheltenham before the Offaly game which we lost. Losing an inter county game is understandable under normal circumstances but to be away from the scene in a crucial week of the year is scandalous and not the actions of a man with his full focus on Limerick.

2014 wasn't bad but Donal O'Grady's involvement in preparation now looks to be more obvious given the disaster that was 2015. TJ's other stint with Limerick Under 21's was a major disappointment aswell.

I’m delighted that Kinnerk and O’Connor have been mentioned but this looks like an appointment to prop up the county boards buddy. Tj is one of a few that shoud be walking here. Beary has been very hard done by. He’s not blameless of course but he’s the only one that had any track record. Na Piarsaighs first 2 county tites before anyone points out to the club's golden generation of sorts.

I’d happily take John Kiely right now to manage them with Kinnerk. At least we’ll know for sure he’ll do it the right way and will be fuly committed. Can we say the same of the current manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Lads even if we get Kinnerk[i wouldn't know him from Adam]he can't be superman i wouldn't expect to be winning all irls next yr but from what i read here it seems it would be a good appointment

• Advertisement

shockframe wrote: »

The leader had it that TJ spent the week in Cheltenham before the Offaly game which we lost. Losing an inter county game is understandable under normal circumstances but to be away from the scene in a crucial week of the year is scandalous and not the actions of a man with his full focus on Limerick.

2014 wasn't bad but Donal O'Grady's involvement in preparation now looks to be more obvious given the disaster that was 2015. TJ's other stint with Limerick Under 21's was a major disappointment aswell.

I’m delighted that Kinnerk and O’Connor have been mentioned but this looks like an appointment to prop up the county boards buddy. Tj is one of a few that shoud be walking here. Beary has been very hard done by. He’s not blameless of course but he’s the only one that had any track record. Na Piarsaighs first 2 county tites before anyone points out to the club's golden generation of sorts.

I’d happily take John Kiely right now to manage them with Kinnerk. At least we’ll know for sure he’ll do it the right way and will be fuly committed. Can we say the same of the current manager?
    I wouldn't mind Ryan going to Cheltenham that week in league be honest as he's huge racing fan and that's the cream of racing and to be fair management must have a break and life outside the game and Cheltenham comes once year

Once work and platform was laidin training the week advance he going midweek wouldn't make huge difference and he was back for the game

That I wouldn't fault him on
    Its the lack of evolution and ruthless execution as manager the failure to embrace and effect a sweeper and the failure to identify defence was weak last year concession seven goals around in four games or so and not rectify it this year is where he fault

He won't be the ist management to go Cheltenham before league game and won't be the last and counihan cork done same
    They enjoy sport so fair play they want to go in March

Lot gaa players have racing connection or interest also

Dowling o mahony and tobin I read paper this year are part syndicate own Edward o connell eight years old race horse sassaway

Jbm used be part syndicate once that was involved in former Galway plate winner
    It's great news if Kinnerk and o connor go in

shockframe wrote: »

The Offaly game was the most unacceptable loss of all, so I would have a slight problem with that. O'Grady may have had a big hand in the actual preparation of the team early in the year, but tactically, we moved on from his game and played a very effective brand of hurling which was simply not replicated in 2015.

The U-21 year was a disaster for sure. The only point in his favour is that the players did seem to come out on his favour and take the blame on themselves- obviously he should have been getting more out of a pretty talented bunch, but being judged on one game is the fault of U-21s. But yeah, he'd never have been the logical candidate based on that.

lim4ev wrote: »
    Lads even if we get Kinnerk[i wouldn't know him from Adam]he can't be superman i wouldn't expect to be winning all irls next yr but from what i read here it seems it would be a good appointment

It's a fair enough point, I'm probably guilty of over-hyping Kinnerk myself. He's not superman but he is supposedly one of the best coaches around. Talk to any of the younger Clare players and they will speak of him in glowing terms. His training is just top class.

However, the advantage he had with the Clare players was that he worked with them from minor upwards. He's not going to turn all our players into Tony Kellys overnight. I'd love to have him involved with our underage teams now that Wallis is gone. But one advantage we have over Clare is that we do probably have a couple more forwards suited for ball-winning, it's just the matter of getting the best out of them.

And tactically, I wouldn't know if he's at the very top level. Can he vary his gameplans to suit different types of players? Hopefully he can, because Limerick do have different types of hurlers to Clare. Clare were quite limited tactically for quite a while, until they revamped their gameplan in mid-2013... was he responsible for that or was Davy? I have no idea tbh, but hopefully we're getting a good chunk of the best parts of the Clare brains trust.

I would agree on that. It doesn't sound like a deal is sorted yet and someone, most likely TJ, is going to look pretty silly if we don't get them. In fairness, I doubt he wanted the news to leak before anything was done... it could have come from anywhere. They only care about papers.

I don't see the two lads going back to Clare tbh, but they could still turn down Limerick for any number of reasons. If we don't get O'Connor, we should ask Corbett, discreetly if possible. A coach on the level of Kinnerk... no one pops to mind immediately tbh.

The best in ireland should be got, Cian O'Neill

The best in ireland should be got, Cian O'Neill

Corbett should be asked to provide contuinty from under twenty one to senior if o connor doesn't go and should still remain with under twenty one as can do both roles
    He's head munster camoige also and with Ul so maybe one them would have to go but he would be ideal

O Neill I doubt very much would join current limerick management
    He's shrewd and a winner he is he's not going to go place might not allow him do things he's way
    Problem with limerick imo at moment is there's stereotypes of certain types play that limerick style of hurling and anything else is treated with contempt so that's not huge attraction some coaches in view is still limerick have to be direct hurling and traditional way

Kinnerk being limerick man would be ideal but limerick need to treat coaches better as Wallis o grady are hugely respected and when other coaches see treatment of them they would wonder themselves

Limerick is very attractive hurling talent and academic structure but politics within is as bad as cork and it hinders progress hugely
    None of the clubs at last meeting even raised issue Ryan management record and like cork in once appointment a man they favour rarely change

Kinnerk and o connor is key but if they decline It's hard to see who would go in as a top proven coach now
    S and c plenty top coaches around but actually skill hurling coach is the problem

It's interesting. Especially since TJ seems like a pretty likeable guy. Obviously I'd give more credence to an opinion of a player who has actually played under him but it is something to note. I really really hope we get Kinnerk though.

It wasn't just the KK game though. In every Championship game last year, we were a step above any match this year, even the Clare game which we won.

Tactically, condition-wise, individual performances, work rate... all were much better. If we had brought the same this year, we would have beaten Dublin handily, who were not good on the day. I don't know why there was such a drop-off, the fault does lie with the management, 2014 should have been something to build on.

I'm happy to stick with him if there is a good backroom team. Look at Anthony Cunningham- Galway were hopeless in 2013 & 2014, pretty much every Galway fan wanted him gone and with good reason, but there were a few adjustments to the backroom team and they improved.
    I wouldn't agree

Last year Yes played well v tipp
    Cork dominated and beat limerick handy in truth
    Wexford four games in month you couldn't take at face value
    Kk won
    Four games two wins two defeats nothing stand out there
    Tipp as time proved improved as the season went on limerick didn't

Clare this year limerick struggling with extra man and clare had loads missing
    Only game won imo deserves credit for tipp

Clare game while won struggling beat depleted clare team and as I posted before that game v tipp and after clare signs there just not if but only when limerick would be beaten
    And it happened
    Ryan brings commitment and passion etc no doubt
    But he's record under twenty one and lack proven record shows clearly this level lacks tactic innovation and the ability to coach a system effectively to a inter county team

Exactly like Cork football in management got job no proven record yet board favoured them and despite one off games that were false dawns really no consistency in results or performance and poor team selection were always there in most games
    I don't believe limerick went down hill hugely this year in i said this all last year and start this year limerick were never that good under this management
    They have yes went back this year as expected
    Management selection is key as if they don't get the lads it seems like names linked job makes them look like right idea which is all well and good but imo proof pudding is in the eating so unless connor Kinnerk joins then doesn't mean much

I hear under twenty one are preparing excellent for two weeks
    Everything going to plan so far
    No stone being left unturned

ThinktooMuch = Think he know more than he do.
    U21 preparing well, all going to plan, no stone left unturned....
    Real story=whole squad back with their clubs for the past week.
    You're beginning to look a little silly with the made up stuff thinktoomuch.
    I wouldn't agree

Last year Yes played well v tipp
    Cork dominated and beat limerick handy in truth
    Wexford four games in month you couldn't take at face value
    Kk won
    Four games two wins two defeats nothing stand out there
    Tipp as time proved improved as the season went on limerick didn't

Clare this year limerick struggling with extra man and clare had loads missing
    Only game won imo deserves credit for tipp

Clare game while won struggling beat depleted clare team and as I posted before that game v tipp and after clare signs there just not if but only when limerick would be beaten
    And it happened
    Ryan brings commitment and passion etc no doubt
    But he's record under twenty one and lack proven record shows clearly this level lacks tactic innovation and the ability to coach a system effectively to a inter county team

Exactly like Cork football in management got job no proven record yet board favoured them and despite one off games that were false dawns really no consistency in results or performance and poor team selection were always there in most games
    I don't believe limerick went down hill hugely this year in i said this all last year and start this year limerick were never that good under this management
    They have yes went back this year as expected
    Management selection is key as if they don't get the lads it seems like names linked job makes them look like right idea which is all well and good but imo proof pudding is in the eating so unless connor Kinnerk joins then doesn't mean much

I hear under twenty one are preparing excellent for two weeks
    Everything going to plan so far
    No stone being left unturned

ThinktooMuch = Think he know more than he do.
    U21 preparing well, all going to plan, no stone left unturned....
    Real story=whole squad back with their clubs for the past week.
    You're beginning to look a little silly with the made up stuff thinktoomuch.
    I never said they were training for the week at all
    Here Preparation off field just as important like video assessment etc other things
    Now fair enough you disagree but no need to make snipe regarding my posts when your just four posts in yourself with respect
    Fair play though for telling us after the win how good management were and giving us insights etc after the match
    Its always great to see fellas jumping on board a win and telling others are wrong when they post a view despite posting many times on the limerick thread
    You critse me however I said well before this game and others this management was excellent and that's why I belive no stone being left unturned as there so professional there not going start preparing week advance
    This management attention detail is top class and don't think there not looking at video etc tactics now
    Kerry football Walsh spoke last week how they spent hours video room viewing Tyrone the management team
    Corbett worked with kerry minor football and kerry team club so Imo will know prepare in advance is crucial to success
    Yes your long history here shows your well in touch yourself
    Injury that were prior last week are meant be clearly up and Hanley shoulder is meant be doing better
    I could of course be wrong
    With respect debate point you wish but less of the other nonsense please
    In agree with lot what you say on this team in there excellent and we'll coached and I do hope they win the all ireland in two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

I never said they were training for the week at all
    Here Preparation off field just as important like video assessment etc other things
    Now fair enough you disagree but no need to make snipe regarding my posts when your just four posts in yourself with respect
    Fair play though for telling us after the win how good management were and giving us insights etc after the match
    Its always great to see fellas jumping on board a win and telling others are wrong when they post a view despite posting many times on the limerick thread
    You critse me however I said well before this game and others this management was excellent and that's why I belive no stone being left unturned as there so professional there not going start preparing week advance
    This management attention detail is top class and don't think there not looking at video etc tactics now
    Kerry football Walsh spoke last week how they spent hours video room viewing Tyrone the management team
    Corbett worked with kerry minor football and kerry team club so Imo will know prepare in advance is crucial to success
    Yes your long history here shows your well in touch yourself
    Injury that were prior last week are meant be clearly up and Hanley shoulder is meant be doing better
    I could of course be wrong
    With respect debate point you wish but less of the other nonsense please
    In agree with lot what you say on this team in there excellent and we'll coached and I do hope they win the all ireland in two weeks
    Not great results for the academy teams yesterday, couldn't read too much into a one day tournament obviously but both the u14's teams failed to win a game, u15s were better, 15a beat clare but lost to tipp and beat Waterford in the shield final, 15b lost final to cork, 16's A well beaten by Kilkenny and beaten by Dublin in the shield semi, 16's B lost final narrowly to cork, encouraging that perhaps the academy training is benefitting players after 14, but shows at 14 level we're behind a lot of counties at the starting point, a lot of work to be done by the clubs and ccb still to keep the conveyor belt going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Kinnerk won't go back to Clare as he doesn't like Davy (have that from a reliable source). So it will be a really bad sign for Limerick if he doesn't jump on board, a telling indictment of Ryan. But being a Limerick man, Id say he'll take the opportunity.

• Advertisement

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Not great results for the academy teams yesterday, couldn't read too much into a one day tournament obviously but both the u14's teams failed to win a game, u15s were better, 15a beat clare but lost to tipp and beat Waterford in the shield final, 15b lost final to cork, 16's A well beaten by Kilkenny and beaten by Dublin in the shield semi, 16's B lost final narrowly to cork, encouraging that perhaps the academy training is benefitting players after 14, but shows at 14 level we're behind a lot of counties at the starting point, a lot of work to be done by the clubs and ccb still to keep the conveyor belt going...
    I heard those results all right

Yeah disappointed all rights
    I wonder is the wheel coming off the academy with Wallis now gone
    Minors and now this right across the board underage isn't reflection too well on daly
    I said this from the start id reservation regards daly director coaching as he's record had no real record in coaching
    Wallis was cleary huge addition here to the whole set up
    Shame but look like all hard work Wallis could be undone in next few years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement