Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

detective wrote: »
    Limerick (SHC v Tipperary) -

1 Nickie Quaid,
    2 Stephen Walsh,
    3 Richie McCarthy,
    4 Tom Condon,
    5 Wayne McNamara,
    6 Donal O Grady,
    7 Gavin O Mahony,
    8 Paul Browne,
    9 James Ryan,
    10 David Breen,
    11 Conor Allis,
    12 Shane Dowling,
    13 Graeme Mulcahy,
    14 Kevin Downes,
    15 Sean Tobin.

SUBS:

Aaron Murphy Hospital Herbertstown
    Shane O Neill South Liberties
    Brian Geary Monaleen
    Tomas Ryan South Liberties
    Paudie O Brien Kilmallock
    David Moloney Blackrock
    Thomas O Brien Patrickswell
    Declan Hannon Adare
    Niall Moran Ahane
    Sean O Brien Patrickswell
    Niall Maher Doon

Interesting. McCarthy at full-back is the big call, I honestly thought Geary was going to get the nod. Or maybe Condon. The injury to Hickey means Walsh continues at corner-back. Ryan's performances in the challenge games don't get him a promotion, I'd say we'll see him come off the bench though.

Up front it's as expected, Downes has been in great form with Na Piarsaigh, just at the right time, he was always going to start ahead of Moran. As for Hannon, well obviously he's not fit enough to start, Allis was the logical choice in his place. Tommy Quaid not on the bench though??

I suppose it's as strong as we can hope for, hopefully Hannon can make an impact off the bench. Just a tiny bit worried about the full-back line. Our own forward line looks strong if they can win ball. Against the Tipp half-back line, it's a big ask. Hopefully Breen has a big game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

On the lines i expected. think when Hickey returns he'll go into the full back line (but not at 3)
    Walshe had a fine game V Clare. hope it continues.
    Definate big game needed from Breen.
    Always felt that Moran is a far better when introduced from the bench.
    Its a 20 man game, can see him being introduced along with Tomas Ryan,
    Hannon and Tommy O'Brien. Might also see Geary late on.

washman3 wrote: »
    On the lines i expected. think when Hickey returns he'll go into the full back line (but not at 3)
    Walshe had a fine game V Clare. hope it continues.
    Definate big game needed from Breen.
    Always felt that Moran is a far better when introduced from the bench.
    Its a 20 man game, can see him being introduced along with Tomas Ryan,
    Hannon and Tommy O'Brien. Might also see Geary late on.

Seanie O'Brien seemed to be favoured off the bench during the league too. Maybe Niall Maher if we need a ball-winning option.

Hannon could obviously make a massive impact, Moran and Ryan too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

thats a good offer CIE are doing on the train/match ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

What's the story with Pat Begley? I don't seem to recall him being given much if any game time in the league. Why is he not being looked at for the full back position? Living in Cork i only get to see the very odd club game when i go home every couple of months. McCarthy is not the answer to our full back dilemma. If Begley is good enough for the U-21 and intermediates then he's surely good enough for the senior panel?

• Advertisement

theUO wrote: »
    the magic of championship is only a day away, contain the excitement if you can!

http://theunanimityofone.blogspot.com/2012/05/magic-of-munster-returns-this-sunday.html
    54,000? That blogger is stuck in the mid 90s. I don't think there'll be more than 25,000 at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Hold your horses, man

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fantastic to see the Limerick hurlers play with so much pride and passion. They had a gameplan and stuck to it. I thought ye would tire with 20 to go but ye hung in there to the very last few mins - fair dues. Plenty of hurling ability in Limerick.

gone boy, threw it away, like the waterford game last year if hurling was a 65minute game ye'd have won thrice as many all irelands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

gone boy, threw it away, like the waterford game last year if hurling was a 65minute game ye'd have won thrice as many all irelands

I had a feeling you wouldn't be able to resist.... Actually it wasn't a feeling, I was 100% certain you'd pop in with yet another "useful" post when this game ended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Kevin Downes shouldn't have been taken off IMO

jordainius wrote: »
    I had a feeling you wouldn't be able to resist.... Actually it wasn't a feeling, I was 100% certain you'd pop in with yet another "useful" post when this game ended.

brilliant display from limerick all the same, keep playing like that and ye'll enjoy a nice little run in the qualifiers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I told you we were worried about Limerick, you should have won today. I'm very concerned about Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Fair play to Limerick , ye played some mighty hurling today.
    Ye were unlucky not to win , did all the hurling but only went in a point up at half time when ye should have been 5 or 6 up. Don,t think Downes should have
    been taken off, he was winning alot of ball, Tipp half back line cleaned up everything in the final 10 mins.. Ye,re definetly moving in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Tipp substitutions and their experience on the bench made the difference in the end as well as fitness. When the likes of Eoin Kelly got taken off, they had Callanan and Shane McGrath to bring on.
    Personally thought that moving Shane Dowling into the full forward line when he wasn't getting much ball there was pointless. Some of the scores he got from the half forward were absolute class.
    The back line were immense in the first half particularly and our downfall in the past was finding a good enough forward or two or three. But looking at today and seeing Tobin, Dowling, Mulcahy, Allis and co and some of the points they scored, the worry is fading.

our substitions (Hannon scored a terrific point though) didn't make as much of an impact in comparison to Tipp (clearly). Geary is just too slow.

We had it. We fockin' had it lads. And let it go. So disappointed.
    But it shows this team in a somewhat positive light and hopefully we get a decent draw in the qualifers. This team has such potential, it's ridiculous.

Well done Limerick. A very young and talented side who gave us the fright of our life today. Great future ahead of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Brilliant game. Proud of our lads today. they left everything on the pitch in Thurles and can all hold their heads high. Thought towards the end that my prediction of a draw would happen and i doubt if any Tipp person would have complained. Imagine the atmosphere next week in the G/Grounds.!!!
    But alas the ball fell kindly for Buggy O'Meara which won the game for Tipp
    Could easily have gone the other way when Breen (i think) just failed to link with Downes following a wonder pass from Dowling. But thats the way these games can go at this level.
    Hope that this fitness theory can now be consigned to where it belongs, ie the barstools of the pubs in Limerick and discussed mainly by know-alls who didnt bother to travel today. Or shall we all agree from now on every team that loses a lead or indeed a game are not fit enough. Total and utter B######T.

Finally tough luck on Tipp footballers today. If only Grogan was in the full forward line.!!!
    Then again Marty Duffy would probably have dragged the "big county" over the line anyway to appease the Sunday Game panel and present them with their "dream" match up of Kerry/Cork.
    Its only a matter of time for Tipp footballers. keep it up;)

Well...what to make of today??

Obviously there were loads of positives, it was an excellent performance, it was brilliant to see the passion and heart we associate with Limerick hurling again. I thought the full-back line were all brilliant, Stephen Walsh and Tom Condon were marvellous and Richie McCarthy proved all his doubters wrong imo.

Up front, we scored some great points, Mulcahy was on fire, Seanie Tobin's bal-winning ability has really come on in recent years, Allis' pace caused problems and Dowling proved he is ready for top intercounty hurling.

But.....we threw it away. In sickening fashion. Tipp bench obviously made a huge difference, Shane Bourke and Shane McGrath were brilliant but I think our poor decision-making in the last 10 minutes cost us. I suppose experience tells but I was disappointed by the inability of our half-back line to catch anything, they kept trying to pull on stuff in the air and the Tipp forwards and midfielders just walked through them. And O'Mahony, Maher and Stapleton started to clean up. It's a pity :(

Hopefully we'll still have some say in the Championship. Add Hickey and Hannon to that team and you've got a very formidable starting fifteen. But we've got to start closing out games against "bigger" teams soon.

On a side note, Bonner Maher did take about 9 steps in the lead-up to the goal but I'm not going to complain too much as a Tipp forward (O'Brien or Kelly??) should have had a penalty before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

grenache wrote: »
    What's the story with Pat Begley? I don't seem to recall him being given much if any game time in the league. Why is he not being looked at for the full back position? Living in Cork i only get to see the very odd club game when i go home every couple of months. McCarthy is not the answer to our full back dilemma. If Begley is good enough for the U-21 and intermediates then he's surely good enough for the senior panel?

Like yourself i am exiled so dont get to follow the club scene. Was wondering the same about begley and also the Na Piarsaigh half back O'Brien who i would have thought would be a starter.

Happy with the performance, our first touch has improved (but still needs work) accuracy in front of posts was the best ive ever seen. Experience and regular games against Div 1 teams is what we dont have, hopefully they can kick on in the next round.

Limerick lost this game more than Tipp won it. And the reason we lost it, was inability to adapt when the Tipp half back line started to get on top with 15 minutes to go. O'Mahony and Maher in particular mopped up everything that came their way and delivered ball after ball to the Tipp attack. Yet Nicky Quaid persisted in pucking out the ball to their side, i hardly remember him aiming it towards the side of Shane Dowling where he had the beating of Tomas Stapleton. Why why why did John Allen not recognise this? Could Quaid not have hit a few short puck outs even?!! Even just to stem the momentum that Tipp had gained. It was pure naivety and was the main blot on an otherwise positive display from our young team.

Also the decision to take off Kevin Downes was premature, he might have only won a couple of clean balls himself, but he was keeping Paul Curran occupied and was doing ok. Silly and Tipp full back line started to get on top from this point onwards.

Still....onwards and upwards. With a bit of confidence and a couple of victories, we can yet do damage in this Championship.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    Limerick lost this game more than Tipp won it. And the reason we lost it, was inability to adapt when the Tipp half back line started to get on top with 15 minutes to go. O'Mahony and Maher in particular mopped up everything that came their way and delivered ball after ball to the Tipp attack. Yet Nicky Quaid persisted in pucking out the ball to their side, i hardly remember him aiming it towards the side of Shane Dowling where he had the beating of Tomas Stapleton. Why why why did John Allen not recognise this? Could Quaid not have hit a few short puck outs even?!! Even just to stem the momentum that Tipp had gained. It was pure naivety and was the main blot on an otherwise positive display from our young team.

Also the decision to take off Kevin Downes was premature, he might have only won a couple of clean balls himself, but he was keeping Paul Curran occupied and was doing ok. Silly and Tipp full back line started to get on top from this point onwards.

Still....onwards and upwards. With a bit of confidence and a couple of victories, we can yet do damage in this Championship.

Id have to say its hard to disagree with you there. Also i think there was an element of Limerick being a little spent as they gave absolutely everything and look, from a neutral point of view this was not just a moral victory but great experience and a huge stepping stone in building a team that can challenge for all ireland's in the future. I have to say after that epic under 21 encounter with Cork last august its hard not to have the utmost respect for Limerick and the work at underage that's going on up there. they have really pulled a team from the ashes of 2010.

Limerick drawn with Laois in the first round of the qualifiers, winners play Antrim.

Both games at home, you'd have to think we'll progress through those two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Limerick drawn with Laois in the first round of the qualifiers, winners play Antrim.

Antrim could be a tough game if we take our eye off the ball for a minute, that said a home draw in both is fantastic and we could be heading for Croker yet......:pac:

no excuses with some of the young talent on Limerick team at the moment

Even if we win those 2 games, we'll have to play one of the semi-finalist losers before we reach a quarter-final...I'd fancy our chances against most teams, though I'd prefer to avoid Cork.

Limerick Team to face Clare in the Munster Football Championship, 9th June 2012
    1. Brian Scanlon
    2. Johnny McCarthy
    3. Paudie Browne
    4. Lorcan O'Dwyer
    5. Steven Lavin
    6. John Riordan
    7. Pa Ranahan
    8. Tom Lee
    9. Paul Kinnerk
    10. Ian Corbett
    11. Stephen Kelly
    12. Seanie Buckley
    13. Ger Collins
    14. Seamus O'Carroll
    15. Ian Ryan

Subs:
    16. Donal O'Sullivan
    17. Damien Quaid
    18. Andy Lane
    19. Stephen Lucey
    20. Jim Donovan
    21. John Galvin
    22. John Cooke
    23. Eoin Barry
    24. Eoghan O'Connor
    25. James O'Meara
    26. Graham O'Connell

Looks like a strong team to me. Same personnel in the backline with Lucey available to come in if needs be. Midfield should be strong enough but the introduction of Kelly in the forwards makes us much more dangerous. Corbett is a big call, young player, but talented. Hopefully he can make a big impression. O'Connor drops to the bench, but he's a great impact sub.

Obviously the biggest news of all is Galvin is on the bench. I'd say it's very unlikely that he'll see gametime tomorrow but having him around at all will be encouraging for the team. And hopefully he can play sometime during the Championship. Jim Donovan on the bench too, another good player.

I think we'll win this. Clare are a good side, and we'll need to really up our performance from the last day but that's a very strong team and the bench is much stronger than usual. And we've got the likes of Mike Sheahan to come back. But if we can click from the beginning, I think we'll win this by about 3 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Anyone at the football match last night?

Very disappointing display. I think the blame for the loss lies completely on decisions made from the sideline. Maurice Horan and his team didn't make any changes, despite us being 3 goals down, until well into the second half.
    The likes of Stepen Lucey must be sickened today, knowing they train all year and can't even get a match when we're trailing by 10 points.

Ian Ryan was superb. Backs and midfield very poor, changes should have been made to them at half time.

Just realised I didn't post here after the Clare game. Shocking result, woeful performance outside of the magnificence of Ian Ryan. Some serious work needed before the qualifiers or we're heading for an early exit.

As for the hurlers...I found the selection interesting for tonight's game.

1. Nickie Quaid (Effin)
    2. Stephen Walsh (Glenroe),
    3. Richie McCarthy(Blackrock),
    4. Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    5. Wayne Mc Namara (Adare),
    6. Dónal O'Grady (Granagh/Ballingarry),
    7. Gavin O'Mahoney (Kilmallock)
    8. James Ryan (Garryspillane),
    9. Paul Browne (Bruff)
    10. Shane Dowling (NaPiarsaigh),
    11. Brian Geary (Monaleen),
    12. David Breen (Na Piarsaigh)
    13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock),
    14. Niall Moran (Ahane),
    15. Sean Tobin (Murroe/Boher)

First of all...Hannon, Hickey, Downes and Allis out apparently.

The big selection is obviously Geary at centre-forward. I believe the last time he played there was when Clare humiliated us in the qualifiers a few years ago, and it ended McKenna's time in charge of the team. Geary is not a forward...obviously Allen wants a ball-winner in the half-forward line but I don't think Geary is the answer, he's a natural centre-back, who could possibly play full-back but I wouldn't want him in the forwards at all. He's aging too and nowhere near as good as he once was. I'd have stuck Breen at centre-forward and put one of the O'Briens or Moran or Maher in the half-forward line.

One possibility is DOG moving to centre-forward and Geary moving to centre-back but he could have just named them like that and after a whole league campaign of trying to find a centre-back, it doesn't make sense to move DOG now.

Niall Moran is back in at full-forward and Laois are the type of team he excels against but I would definitely pick Downes ahead of him if Downes was fit.

No place for Tomás Ryan who did put his hand up for a starting place, wouldn't have minded seeing him replace Wayne Mac. And Paudie O'Brien is in some brilliant form for his club although our midfield is doing well. James Ryan could have moved into the forwards to let O'Brien play there either.

Still think we'll beat Laois, should be interesting to see what happens anyway. Hopefully Geary performs well, he's been a great player for Limerick over the years.

EDIT: Oh and the subs, couldn't find them at first.

16. Aaron Murphy
    17. Shane O Neill
    18. Paudie O Brien
    19. Dave Maloney
    20. Tom Ryan
    21. Thomas O Brien
    22. Declan Hannon
    23. Seanie O Brien
    24. Tommy Quaid
    25. Mikey Ryan
    26. Niall Maher

Not bad options but no real game-changer.....bar Hannon who's not fully fit. Still O'Neill/O'Brien/Moloney/Ryan/O'Brien/Maher shouldn't weaken the taem if they're chosen to come on which is good. But we need to keep Dowling, Mulcahy, Tobin, O'Mahoney, DOG, Condon on no matter what. And Breen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Just realised I didn't post here after the Clare game. Shocking result, woeful performance outside of the magnificence of Ian Ryan. Some serious work needed before the qualifiers or we're heading for an early exit.

As for the hurlers...I found the selection interesting for tonight's game.

1. Nickie Quaid (Effin)
    2. Stephen Walsh (Glenroe),
    3. Richie McCarthy(Blackrock),
    4. Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    5. Wayne Mc Namara (Adare),
    6. Dónal O'Grady (Granagh/Ballingarry),
    7. Gavin O'Mahoney (Kilmallock)
    8. James Ryan (Garryspillane),
    9. Paul Browne (Bruff)
    10. Shane Dowling (NaPiarsaigh),
    11. Brian Geary (Monaleen),
    12. David Breen (Na Piarsaigh)
    13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock),
    14. Niall Moran (Ahane),
    15. Sean Tobin (Murroe/Boher)

First of all...Hannon, Hickey, Downes and Allis out apparently.

The big selection is obviously Geary at centre-forward. I believe the last time he played there was when Clare humiliated us in the qualifiers a few years ago, and it ended McKenna's time in charge of the team. Geary is not a forward...obviously Allen wants a ball-winner in the half-forward line but I don't think Geary is the answer, he's a natural centre-back, who could possibly play full-back but I wouldn't want him in the forwards at all. He's aging too and nowhere near as good as he once was. I'd have stuck Breen at centre-forward and put one of the O'Briens or Moran or Maher in the half-forward line.

One possibility is DOG moving to centre-forward and Geary moving to centre-back but he could have just named them like that and after a whole league campaign of trying to find a centre-back, it doesn't make sense to move DOG now.

Niall Moran is back in at full-forward and Laois are the type of team he excels against but I would definitely pick Downes ahead of him if Downes was fit.

No place for Tomás Ryan who did put his hand up for a starting place, wouldn't have minded seeing him replace Wayne Mac. And Paudie O'Brien is in some brilliant form for his club although our midfield is doing well. James Ryan could have moved into the forwards to let O'Brien play there either.

Still think we'll beat Laois, should be interesting to see what happens anyway. Hopefully Geary performs well, he's been a great player for Limerick over the years.

EDIT: Oh and the subs, couldn't find them at first.

16. Aaron Murphy
    17. Shane O Neill
    18. Paudie O Brien
    19. Dave Maloney
    20. Tom Ryan
    21. Thomas O Brien
    22. Declan Hannon
    23. Seanie O Brien
    24. Tommy Quaid
    25. Mikey Ryan
    26. Niall Maher

Not bad options but no real game-changer.....bar Hannon who's not fully fit. Still O'Neill/O'Brien/Moloney/Ryan/O'Brien/Maher shouldn't weaken the taem if they're chosen to come on which is good. But we need to keep Dowling, Mulcahy, Tobin, O'Mahoney, DOG, Condon on no matter what. And Breen.

Can't believe Hannon is on the bench, he has recently been played once for the county team and played a club game for Adare despite not being fully fit. Club and county need to be patient and give him enough time to fully recover.

• Advertisement

jordainius wrote: »
    Can't believe Hannon is on the bench, he has recently been played once for the county team and played a club game for Adare despite not being fully fit. Club and county need to be patient and give him enough time to fully recover.

I agree. Bringing him on against Tipp was a mistake, he wasn't fit. If he's not ready, he shouldn't play. Hopefully we won't have to resort to that against Laois.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement