Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Thing is im more worried about what happens these players next year than sundays final. We have a good u-21 team and a clutch of good minor teams and we need to convert that into senior all Irelands before someone clare or cork sort there house out and we get left behind, it really should be our time the next 2-3 years with the current experience in the squad and the youth coming through.

I'll be there saturday but win lose or draw the above wont change.

I'd have the same concerns as you believe me but as I said it shouldnt overshadow the 21s.

We havent won an all ireland for a while now (but 4 out of 4 at this grade is impressive) so with all the negativity of a miserable 2015 a win on Saturday would be a very welcome tonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Thing is im more worried about what happens these players next year than sundays final. We have a good u-21 team and a clutch of good minor teams and we need to convert that into senior all Irelands before someone clare or cork sort there house out and we get left behind, it really should be our time the next 2-3 years with the current experience in the squad and the youth coming through.

I'll be there saturday but win lose or draw the above wont change.

Agree with the above we need to get in and win one asap as cork won't be down forever and generally we struggle against them the thing for me with the current crop we have unearthed a few backs that may step up next yr i'd be worried about the potential from the forwards though outside of c lynch the only one for me at the moment that i'd be happy to try is colin ryan.I know there's a lot of talk about r lynch and t Morrissey and I know a lot on here have great time for them but for me they haven't shown that they'd make a difference for the seniors just yet, In fairness they are very young and Morrissey had a good game the last day,unless there's huge improvement I think we'll have to revert to most of the forwards that failed this yr again next yr

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I must be extremely bored:

We had a 32 man squad for championship this year. Here's a stab at a 32 man squad for next season. Organised generally along lines of the field played in though obviously some players cover a few lines. In particular I'd like to see Quaid tried outfield, O'Mahohy at half forward again. Actually there's about 35 there but whatever.

Quaid, Murphy, D McCarthy

McCarthy, Condon, English, Hickey, Dempsey, Walsh, Casey

McNamara, O'Mahony, D Morrissey, Byrnes, O'Connell, T Ryan

J Ryan, Browne, P O'Brien, S O'Brien, P Ryan, D O'Donovan, Fitzgibbon

Hannon, Breen, R Lynch, Reidy

Dowling, Mulcahy, Downes, C Lynch, Tobin, K O'Brien, T Morrissey, B Nash/D Dempsey/A Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Team named
    1. David McCarthy (Glenroe), 2. Sean Finn (Bruff), 3. Richie English (Doon), 4. Michael Casey (Na Piarsaigh), 5. Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell)(Captain), 6. Barry O Connell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry), 7. Gearoid Hegarty (St Patrick’s), 8. Darragh O Donovan (Doon), 9. Pat Ryan (Doon), 10. Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh), 11. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell), 12. David Dempsey ( Na Piarsaigh), 13. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen), 14. Tom Morrissey (Ahane) and 15. Barry Nash (South Liberties).

16. Eoghan McNamara (Doon), 17. Mark O’Callaghan (Knockaderry), 18. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen), 19. Jack Kelliher (Patrickswell), 20. Sean Flanagan (Feohanagh), 21. Jody Hannon (Adare), 22. Liam O Sullivan (Knockaderry), 23. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh) and 24. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Pandiani wrote: »
    Team named
    1. David McCarthy (Glenroe), 2. Sean Finn (Bruff), 3. Richie English (Doon), 4. Michael Casey (Na Piarsaigh), 5. Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell)(Captain), 6. Barry O Connell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry), 7. Gearoid Hegarty (St Patrick’s), 8. Darragh O Donovan (Doon), 9. Pat Ryan (Doon), 10. Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh), 11. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell), 12. David Dempsey ( Na Piarsaigh), 13. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen), 14. Tom Morrissey (Ahane) and 15. Barry Nash (South Liberties).

16. Eoghan McNamara (Doon), 17. Mark O’Callaghan (Knockaderry), 18. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen), 19. Jack Kelliher (Patrickswell), 20. Sean Flanagan (Feohanagh), 21. Jody Hannon (Adare), 22. Liam O Sullivan (Knockaderry), 23. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh) and 24. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh).

Kevin O'Brien not in the squad?? Don't think he's injured. A few others missing there also that were in the squad in the first game of the championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Pandiani wrote: »
    Team named

No Kevin O'Brien or Aaron Gillane is a bit of a surprise in my book, especially since KOB was on the bench when only half-fit the last day. Jody Hannon had been dropped the last day, hadn't he? He's back on the bench. Seamus Flanagan in there too. Robbie Hanley must be still injured which is disappointing for him.

It's a strong-looking team alright. Could be even stronger if those players were there, but I'd say that 15 is probably our best tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Paulie 39

From d Semi final day 24, Kevin O Brien, Jack Quaid and Dean Coleman are dropped, included in their places are Liam O Sullivan, Jody Hannon and Seamus Flanagan

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sportin

Predictions for tomorrow lads?
    Limerick by 1-2 points imho

Sportin wrote: »
    Predictions for tomorrow lads?
    Limerick by 1-2 points imho

Limerick by 5.

I think we'll win by 4 or 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Best of luck to limerick today.
    I hope I'm wrong but I think while limerick can win, Wexford with last year experience and coming in as surprisingly under dogs I think may edge this game.
    Limerick have picked a very good team and the management are excellent so they have a real chance.

This is it lads, hope we do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Absolutely thrilled. We'll be strong the next two years too so not unrealistic to win another one or two. I honestly felt this would be a year too soon for this panel at the start of the year, huge credit to everyone involved, a real team performance. I really hope the county board resist the temptation to promote any of that management team to the senior set up, they should do whatever it takes to keep them on board for the next two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Well done Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Brilliant performance, Nash, cian, morrissey and pat Ryan were exceptional. The backs are just such a solid unit.

Its all about the management though, you can see the amount of coaching that has gone into them is phenomenal. The skills, passing, cohesion, organisation, were all on display tonight. Dempseys flick up, ronans quick hands for a point all that comes from great coaching.

Going to have to disagree with zombei I want to see kiely take over the seniors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Yodeling Snake

Going to have to disagree with zombei I want to see kiely take over the seniors

God I don't know, is it too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Best of luck to limerick today.
    I hope I'm wrong but I think while limerick can win, Wexford with last year experience and coming in as surprisingly under dogs I think may edge this game.
    Limerick have picked a very good team and the management are excellent so they have a real chance.

What do you think now?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I think it's most important that Kiely and his team stays with them for next yr and then give him the snr job he has impressed me so much this year what a great win for us well done to all involved.

In fairness to TTM i don't think anyone could see wex being that bad but i must admit if i'm being honest deep down i thought we'd have a right go at winning this comp out at the start of the yr, thought actually winning it might have been a step too far though as so many of them are underage again next yr.

Lets learn now from past mistakes and make a big push with the talent we have to go on and land the big one.

Kiely can stay at this level as long as we appoint a proper coach and manager at senior level. That seems unlikely to happen though and another u-21title will be no compensation for a year wasted at senior level.

Fecking great to win last though, hard to believe it's 13 years since we had a win. They were fantastic, the quickness of hand was a joy to see

Need to learn from past mistakes, fast-tracking Kiely and his men to the senior job would be a typically rash Limerick thing to do.

We rushed Dave Keane, he (understandably) brought a lot of the players who did so well for him in the three in a row on board and that caused problems with some of the long term panellists, some of them didn't deal well with what they perceived as favouritism towards the three in a row team and it caused problems. One particular player took issue with the dropping of his brother from the panel in favour of the new players and this player actually became instrumental in the eventual shafting of Keane by the county board.

In a perfect world the established players would have had the cop on to handle it better, but they also had some legitimate concerns, a small few of the under 21's weren't pulling their weight and the old guard were not impressed.

Might be better to have a different manager transition the new players on board, one who won't be seen as bringing "his" guys on board at the expense of the existing panellists.

One thing this squad has illustrated; TJ really made a balls of picking his squad at the start of the year, hung on to a few guys at the expense of three or four more under 21 players who would have been at home on the senior panel. Although, maybe the best thing for them was not to have been a part of the senior set up this year.

2016 looking like a write off already. The hunt for a new back room team for TJ is not going smoothly at all, those who have been approached have turned it down, that says something, not many quality candidates willing to work with him, and the players hammered him in their report. I'm all for TJ if he can get the right back room team, but it doesn't look like that is possible, he hasn't picked them himself and the CB are struggling to find willing candidates. I can see why there would be a big temptation to promote the under 21 management team but I hope that doesn't happen, I believe they don't intend on going anywhere anytime soon though.

• Advertisement

slegs wrote: »
    What do you think now?

Ah now he was hardly slating us by any means there!! He acknowledged how he felt both teams could win but he had to pick one!

slegs wrote: »
    What do you think now?

I'm sure you may feel great with such a post but each to their own, typical you pick one or two posts out when someone wrong but you fail to mention anything most of the other times I was correct
    I said limerick from day one I rated this management, and anyone knows it here was huge fan kiely and Corbett in particular and indeed the minors who I felt were not the reason lost last year but minor management failed players not all management but only some

I like others felt Wexford experience would been too much but as said post limerick had a real chance
    I'm delighted limerick one and Byrnes finn English Nash Ryan the two lynches and Ryan should make senior however if senior management doesn't improve we will see what happened in cork football, huge under age success not going to senior

Limerick handled favourite tags well and it surprised me
    Never have i see a limerick team huge favourite play with such comfort at ease with themselves
    That's a reflection of management

It's interesting now how considine clare saying kiely should be manager and few more doubt Ryan now when last year no one really doubted him

It would be wrong for kiely to join now in he has to finish he's work with limerick
    There's way more in them
    I said limerick would win all ireland under this management my surprise is its so soon

There's another all ireland in them as win munster next year you get to all ireland final as you play ulster
    People think kiely can go in work with Ryan etc
    Imo the balance would be wrong in what makes kiely excellent is he manages people around him and brings in top men
    Kiely is excellent as he brings the team with him in management
    Kiely on he's own won't add much to the senior setup

If it's true and Kinnerk doesn't join limerick then limerick have to just do with Ryan but next year have plans new management
    Next year isn't huge in for the next under twenty ones but the year after is crucial for there development

Limerick were tenacious, and intense but was not just pride passion and fire it was cohesive, intelligent pretty well planned hurling that had a plan a and b
    Wexford were poorer than what we thought but limerick never allowed them get going and jj doyle is good coach so limerick win is outstanding
    I always believed the players are in limerick
    They are to win a senior
    However it takes good management
    Alan Browne cork said cork new management must be tech savy
    He's right
    I always said limerick need the same
    Kiely deserves huge huge credit but so too so likes Wallis Noel hsrtigan flynn and all limerick academy and even back to joe Quaid winning under sixteen all ireland years ago as that was limerick ist step and many that panel now won again
    These lads are a huge culture change in a good way for Limerick they win all through the grades
    All they need at senior is great coaching
    The hurling is there
    Congratulations to all limerick panel and geuine fans limerick I'm delighted for Limerick hurling
    I'm not one bit surprised limerick won the all ireland and I said they would beat tipp clare Galway, the only surprise was they went all the way so early in just one year
    I knew this management of Corbett kiely quility was excellent but maybe I didn't realise how excellent they were

Ah now he was hardly slating us by any means there!! He acknowledged how he felt both teams could win but he had to pick one!

Thank you
    Your as always very fair but look a few here can't wait just to pick the odd post to make a point when the most ironic thing is they say very little themselves long before limerick win.
    I'd agree kiely should stay at under twenty one
    He won't work as a selector
    He can only go in as manager and time is not right for change manager
    None club wanted new management either so best thing is judge limerick next year and if results are poor then kiely takes over
    No one can say then Ryan didn't get a fair chance

Now limerick have won I think civic reception and huge welcome home tomorrow should be done this team
    Now with the all ireland win is the time to go over board in celebration
    It's well deserved
    Huge huge huge win for Limerick
    It's just reward for wonderful academic work in the past but it should be an eye opener that this year results at minor and academic wise hurling fell of a bit and limerick should look at the academy side and give daly minor manager but some one else needs be director hurling as imo he's not the man for that role and you don't want standard to drop after seeing huge success last night
    Daly is a manager but no success record at coach or director hurling
    Give him the minor job but have some one else as director of the under age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'm sure you may feel great with such a post but each to their own, typical you pick one or two posts out when someone wrong but you fail to mention anything most of the other times I was correct
    I said limerick from day one I rated this management, and anyone knows it here was huge fan kiely and Corbett in particular and indeed the minors who I felt were not the reason lost last year but minor management failed players not all management but only some

I like others felt Wexford experience would been too much but as said post limerick had a real chance
    I'm delighted limerick one and Byrnes finn English Nash Ryan the two lynches and Ryan should make senior however if senior management doesn't improve we will see what happened in cork football, huge under age success not going to senior

Limerick handled favourite tags well and it surprised me
    Never have i see a limerick team huge favourite play with such comfort at ease with themselves
    That's a reflection of management

It's interesting now how considine clare saying kiely should be manager and few more doubt Ryan now when last year no one really doubted him

It would be wrong for kiely to join now in he has to finish he's work with limerick
    There's way more in them
    I said limerick would win all ireland under this management my surprise is its so soon

There's another all ireland in them as win munster next year you get to all ireland final as you play ulster
    People think kiely can go in work with Ryan etc
    Imo the balance would be wrong in what makes kiely excellent is he manages people around him and brings in top men
    Kiely is excellent as he brings the team with him in management
    Kiely on he's own won't add much to the senior setup

If it's true and Kinnerk doesn't join limerick then limerick have to just do with Ryan but next year have plans new management
    Next year isn't huge in for the next under twenty ones but the year after is crucial for there development

Limerick were tenacious, and intense but was not just pride passion and fire it was cohesive, intelligent pretty well planned hurling that had a plan a and b
    Wexford were poorer than what we thought but limerick never allowed them get going and jj doyle is good coach so limerick win is outstanding
    I always believed the players are in limerick
    They are to win a senior
    However it takes good management
    Alan Browne cork said cork new management must be tech savy
    He's right
    I always said limerick need the same
    Kiely deserves huge huge credit but so too so likes Wallis Noel hsrtigan flynn and all limerick academy and even back to joe Quaid winning under sixteen all ireland years ago as that was limerick ist step and many that panel now won again
    These lads are a huge culture change in a good way for Limerick they win all through the grades
    All they need at senior is great coaching
    The hurling is there
    Congratulations to all limerick panel and geuine fans limerick I'm delighted for Limerick hurling
    I'm not one bit surprised limerick won the all ireland and I said they would beat tipp clare Galway, the only surprise was they went all the way so early in just one year
    I knew this management of Corbett kiely quility was excellent but maybe I didn't realise how excellent they were

2 key points.
    • Limerick have a great record in finals in this competition, 5 from 5, despite usually being the favourites in those finals.
    • Limerick like Thurles, that was a big advantage last night.
    Anyone calling for Kiely to be installed as senior manager needs locking up. He needs at least 1 more year at this level, probably more. Remember Dave Keane ? :rolleyes:

Yeah I remember dave Keane and he had 3 years as u-21 manager and it done him fcuk all good.

Think Ross Corbett is a cert for the seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

I really hope that John and his entire management team are allowed (and are willing) to stay with the 21s. I think they will face a number of challenges if they do stay in place. Of the starting 15 yesterday there will be 4 overage for 2016. That might not seem to much to overcome but they are in key positions. We will need a new keeper so hopefully Eoghan Mac can step up from the minors. He was on the panel yesterday so hopefully has picked up a lot from his time in the camp.
    Our entire half back line has to be rebuilt. Could the management look at bringing Ronan Lynch back there and changing his focus completely. I think his ability to read a game could be vital and I think long term people see him more as a back/midfielder than forward.
    I think we will have to cope with a lot more disruption with more players being called into the senior set up. Players like Richie English, Pat Ryan, Darragh O'Donovan along with Cian Lynch and Tom Morrissey would I imagine be looking at getting a call up to the seniors. This year the 21s preparation was very smooth and they had a settled group so when Cian did rejoin he could fit in to the system relatively easily.
    That said if the management can craft a new team and hopefully do well imagine the strength in depth that will be available in 2017 to JK if he decided the time was right for him to go senior.
    All arguments for another day. Delighted for everyone who has the best interests of Limerick hurling at heart after last night. COYBIG

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Great win for the 21s, was great to see all the kids lining up to get on the pitch at the end! There are some serious leaders in that team, Byrne's chief among them, kiely won't be going anywhere near the senior setup, he wouldnt be the type of fella to thread on another's toes, especially from the same area.
    Will be interesting how he replaces that half back line next year, unlike the senior team they correctly identified early that its the bedrock of the team and brought hegarty back there, which was a revelation. Hope to see Ronan lynch there next year, he really needs to nail down a position as he's got all the goods but doesn't really have the pace or positioning in the forwards to truly dominate, there should be a few stepping up next year, English, Byrne's, oconnell, midfielders x2, Nash, Dempsey maybe, Morrissey, peter casey is only 18 but what an impression to make, he's got it all too.
    Any word on coach for the seniors? Pressure is on the senior management now to start showing they can continue the progress and rebuild next year, TJ would have been one if the senior players when the integration of the 21s was apparently not handled well so he should have an idea of what not to do anyway.

• Advertisement

Agree Mehapoy. Although I saw an interview a while back and Hegarty had originally been tried at full and half forward, he didn't show much and they said they'd try him half back. Great move, a lot of managements might have just cut Hegarty.

Expect to see something like the minor half back line of the last few years restored, ALTC coming in with Ronan Lynch and Colin Ryan shifting back. They wouldn't be anything like as physically imposing as this year's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement