Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Don't really care about Limerick's performance I'm just saddened for Laois, three years ago they led us for 65 minutes and should have beaten us. I hope Antrim will give us a competitive game next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well...we did what we had to do, I suppose. Can you ever complain about a scoreline that puts you 25 points on the winning side?? People say you can only play what is put in front of you...but I'm just a tiny bit disappointed that we didn't try and play with intensity for a period of even 10 minutes. We didn't have to, so we didn't really bother.

There were a lot of positives despite the apparent futility of the game. The defence was really really good especially in the first half. Graeme Mulcahy looked extremely sharp particularly in the first half, scored 4 points from play, but then didn't get much ball in the 2nd. Niall Moran will never get an easier hat-trick, he played okay, but I'd still prefer Downes to him tbh. James Ryan was immense in midfield, DOG was inspirational, Nicky Quaid looked as safe as a house and it was great to see Hannon look fit and firing.

But there were also some negatives...hopefully Paul Browne isn't injured too badly. Some of the short passing was really infuriating, we squandered possession too often. Laois seemed to win a lot of breaking ball, too much in fact. And most of the time we were playing low balls into the forwards and the backs were cleaning up. We worked hard to win the ball back to create chances but against a better team we won't be so lucky.

All in all, we did what needed to be done. Moran's skill for Dowling's goal and Dowling's flick for Moran's 2nd were real highlights, lovely pieces of play that you love to see. Just hope we can cut out some of the stupid play.

I felt sorry for Laois, game was over fairly early on. As individual hurlers, they didn't seem too bad but as a unit, they were poor. Didn't link up properly, didn't know what to do in possession. Bar Willie Hyland, he was superb.

(If Laois hadn't hit so many easy wides in the first half, they could have been in it at half-time, and it might have been more of a contest.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

jordainius wrote: »
    Don't really care about Limerick's performance I'm just saddened for Laois, three years ago they led us for 65 minutes and should have beaten us. I hope Antrim will give us a competitive game next weekend.

To be fair though, we were at the lowest of low in 2009. As seen by that game and subsequent performance against Tipp in the semi. I don't think i've ever seen a Limerick team so disorganised and lacking in spirit. Clare 06 was bad but that day was mostly down to the wrong players in the wrong positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Very little if anything learned from last night's game IMO.
    Nothing more than a challenge game or training session. while we won by 25 pts we must look at the reality. In a modern championship game a team must strive to hit a target of 20+ pts to have any hope of winning. with all due respect to Laois (and the brilliant Willie Hyland) we should have targetted scoring 30pts in this game. Disregard the goals,as it will be a miracle if we score 3 against any of the top sides and we will definately not see Niall Moran score 3 pts in a big game,let alone 3 goals.
    What we do know is that we need Hannon,Allis,Downes and Hickey all fit and at their best to have any chance of a 1/4 or semi final spot. Maybe the suggestion of playing Hannon at No.6 is not that far fetched after all.
    Remember the top 4 sides have 4 Willie Hylands in their 6 forwards(make that 6 out of 6 for Kilkenny). Centre back is pivotal, just look at Cork today,if Curran was still there,playing at his best i feel that Cork would've won easily. Cadogen is simply not up to the No.6 position.
    I expect us to win again next week but we need to show intensity, something we sadly lacked last night.
    Finally does anyone agree that Laois,Antrim,Carlow and Westmeath should be granted home advantage for all their championship games, in the interest of fairness and promotion of the game??

grenache wrote: »
    To be fair though, we were at the lowest of low in 2009. As seen by that game and subsequent performance against Tipp in the semi. I don't think i've ever seen a Limerick team so disorganised and lacking in spirit. Clare 06 was bad but that day was mostly down to the wrong players in the wrong positions.

What are you talking about? Clare '06 never happened!:pac:

You're pretty much spot on with your assessment of 2009, still not sure how they beat Dublin and Wexford either side of that game! Obviously Limerick have made great strides since then (plenty more to be done however) but it's disappointing to see how far backwards Laois seem to have gone since then too.

We learned nothing yesterday. I hate to be negative but I have mixed feelings about Niall Moran's performance. He'll probably have another good game next weekend (he won't get 3 goals though) and we might find that he will have made himself undroppable by doing well against weaker opposition and then we'll get the usual frustrating Niall Moran performance in our next game when he's no longer up against weaker opposition.

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    Very little if anything learned from last night's game IMO.
    What we do know is that we need Hannon,Allis,Downes and Hickey all fit and at their best to have any chance of a 1/4 or semi final spot. Maybe the suggestion of playing Hannon at No.6 is not that far fetched after all.
    Remember the top 4 sides have 4 Willie Hylands in their 6 forwards(make that 6 out of 6 for Kilkenny). Centre back is pivotal, just look at Cork today,if Curran was still there,playing at his best i feel that Cork would've won easily. Cadogen is simply not up to the No.6 position.

I agree with most of what you say but I think DOG is quite a good centre-back. He's not top class but he's still new to the position, I quite like him there. I think we need Hannon in the forwards. Our half-forward line got cleaned out against Tipperary towards the end and even against Laois were contained well enough until Hannon came on. He can win ball, he can score and he can open teams up. I'd play him centre-forward where he can dictate the play. With Breen and Dowling/Downes alongside him. Lots of movement with them. I wouldn't start Allis tbh...his pace is important but I'd have those 4 + Tobin & Mulcahy as our 6 forwards.

We learned nothing yesterday. I hate to be negative but I have mixed feelings about Niall Moran's performance. He'll probably have another good game next weekend (he won't get 3 goals though) and we might find that he will have made himself undroppable by doing well against weaker opposition and then we'll get the usual frustrating Niall Moran performance in our next game when he's no longer up against weaker opposition.

I fear the same tbh. I knew Moran was going to score a lot yesterday, I think I said as much in my post pre-match. He always does well against weaker teams but I'm not sure he has what it takes for the bigger teams. He's not a bad player but he certainly doesn't deserve to start ahead of Downes. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Good to see Limerick making strides. You can only beat whats put in front of you. But a lot to be learned from this game, Moran scoring 3 goals for instance, im sure this will benefit ye going forward against some better opposition.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I think we need Hannon in the forwards. Our half-forward line got cleaned out against Tipperary towards the end and even against Laois were contained well enough until Hannon came on. He can win ball, he can score and he can open teams up. I'd play him centre-forward where he can dictate the play. With Breen and Dowling/Downes alongside him. Lots of movement with them. I wouldn't start Allis tbh...his pace is important but I'd have those 4 + Tobin & Mulcahy as our 6 forwards.
    Spot on. He would probably do a fine job at centre back but for all the reasons you listed the team would benefit more from Hannon at 11 instead of 6.

Hopefully Seamus Hickey can return soon, I'd like to see him at 6 and push DO'G back into midfield again. (He was injured 6 weeks ago and was ruled out for 6 to 8 weeks. Doubt he'd be match fit until the all-ireland quarter finals if we get that far)

Spot on. He would probably do a fine job at centre back but for all the reasons you listed the team would benefit more from Hannon at 11 instead of 6.

Hopefully Seamus Hickey can return soon, I'd like to see him at 6 and push DO'G back into midfield again. (He was injured 6 weeks ago and was ruled out for 6 to 8 weeks. Doubt he'd be match fit until the all-ireland quarter finals if we get that far)

Who would you drop if you pushed DOG to midfield.

Personally, I'd drop Wayne Mac. Tries hard but his passing isn't good enough and sometimes he holds onto the ball too much. A half-back line of Hickey, DOG, O'Mahoney would be really good. Or we could even put Tom Ryan in there.

Thats the major question,where does Hickey play.?? corner back,wing or centre back or even midfield.?? No.3 is definatey out. while DOG has done extremely at No.6 i feel we need a Conor O'Mahoney like presence there for big games. James Ryan and Browne can also play in the half forward line.

Draw made this morning: Clare at home to Dublin
    Cork at home to Offaly

So if we overcome Antrim next Saturday we play one of these winners.
    (July 14 i think.??)

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    Thats the major question,where does Hickey play.?? corner back,wing or centre back or even midfield.?? No.3 is definatey out. while DOG has done extremely at No.6 i feel we need a Conor O'Mahoney like presence there for big games. James Ryan and Browne can also play in the half forward line.

Draw made this morning: Clare at home to Dublin
    Cork at home to Offaly

So if we overcome Antrim next Saturday we play one of these winners.
    (July 14 i think.??)

I'd prefer not to have Ryan/Browne in the forwards tbh. Don't forget Paudie O'Brien either, I thought he showed up pretty well against Laois fwiw.

You'd expect Cork to beat Offaly, they look to be a very good team. If we were drawn against them, it would be a very tough battle. If we had our full team available, I think we could give them a shock.

Clare/Dublin is a very close call, maybe home advantage will swing it Clare's way. Either way, I think we can beat both of those teams. Clare beat us twice in the league but we know we can beat them if we perform for 70 minutes. As for Dublin, they beat us last year but tbh, we should have won that too. Terrible marking early on cost us the game and I don't think that will happen again.

Right, so we've got Antrim on Saturday, what are we expecting for that?? Doubt there'll be many changes and you'd have to expect a win. Hopefully Antrim will give us more of a game though, they need to be tested. Hannon looked fit enough against Laois, might be ready for 70 minutes. Hopefully Downes will be available too.

The minor team to play Clare was supposed to be named tonight, haven't seen/heard anything yet. Should be a good game, Clare have been very strong underage the last couple of years. That match is on Friday......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Right, so we've got Antrim on Saturday, what are we expecting for that?? Doubt there'll be many changes and you'd have to expect a win. Hopefully Antrim will give us more of a game though, they need to be tested. Hannon looked fit enough against Laois, might be ready for 70 minutes. Hopefully Downes will be available too.

The minor team to play Clare was supposed to be named tonight, haven't seen/heard anything yet. Should be a good game, Clare have been very strong underage the last couple of years. That match is on Friday......

Minor hurling team for Friday according to a Limk GAA FB page.

1. Darragh Stapleton 2. Shane Irwin 3. Richie English 4. James Carrig 5. Diarmuid Byrnes 6. Barry O'Connell 7. Diarmuid Dee 8. Brian Finn 9. Kieran Cleary 10. Ronan Lynch (C) 11. David Condron 12. Cian Lynch 13. Liam O'Sullivan 14. Kevin O'Brien 15. Jack Kelliher.

And personally think we'll beat Antrim with a few points to spare. I'll elaborate more when my eyes aren't burning from the tiredness ><

Minor hurling team for Friday according to a Limk GAA FB page.

1. Darragh Stapleton 2. Shane Irwin 3. Richie English 4. James Carrig 5. Diarmuid Byrnes 6. Barry O'Connell 7. Diarmuid Dee 8. Brian Finn 9. Kieran Cleary 10. Ronan Lynch (C) 11. David Condron 12. Cian Lynch 13. Liam O'Sullivan 14. Kevin O'Brien 15. Jack Kelliher.

And personally think we'll beat Antrim with a few points to spare. I'll elaborate more when my eyes aren't burning from the tiredness ><

Don't know a whole lot about the entire team, but Ronan Lynch is obviously the star man in attack. He got most of the scores the last day and will be expected to again. O'Sullivan is a very lively forward, was only a sub the last day, but came on to score the winning point, he deserves to start. Kevin O'Brien was on the team last year, as was Barry, I'd expect both of them to perform well.

5 Patrickswell lads, only 1 from Na Piarsaigh.

[QUOTE=Fireball07;79455116
    5 Patrickswell lads, only 1 from Na Piarsaigh.[/QUOTE]

Dowling,Downes and Breen should withdraw immediately from the Limerick senior panel and Na Piarsaigh pull out of all club championship fixtures this year in protest. An "extraordinary" emergency meeting of the county board should take place tonight to resolve this imbalance.!!!

:):):):):):):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Good luck to the minors this evening in Ennis, hopefully they can upset the Munster champions at home. Clare FM are broadcasting the game live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

this is not good for my heart.. jesus christ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

2 goals in last 60 seconds for Limerick to take match to extra time

MMHCSF (61 min) ‪#Limerick‬ 2-11 Clare 1-14 ‪#GAA‬

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

whats the score? is it over?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Extra time, all square, it's live on Clare FM if anyone wants to listen http://www.clare.fm/node/7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

MMHCSF (70 min) #Limerick 2-13 Clare 1-17 #GAA (ET) half time in extra time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clare are 1 point up in extra time, 1-18 to 2-14

2 points up for Clare, 30 seconds left

65 to Limerick into injury time

All over, j@ysus Clare made hard work of that, 1-19 to 2-14

Gutted.

Antrim game starts at 3...better make my way in :p

Exactly same starting XV, which is a bit of a surprise tbh. Geary didn't look comfortable as a forward and we should be looking at another option. Hannon still not fully fit obviously, Downes isn't available although I heard Hickey will be on the bench.

Very convincing win today. We played a lot better than we did against Laois and I think Antrim are better than Laois. Bar a short period after Breen went off when Antrim got on top and they scored a lot.

Our defence was superb, they only scored 1-2 in the second half, 1-1 towards the end. Our goalscoring was very clinical.

Hopefully Breen is okay though. Hannon's point-taking was top class. Dowling scored a great hat-trick as well as the point of the year from way out on the sideline, can't wait to see that on the Sunday game. Mulcahy was very very lively, he's a pure class player, got 2-4 or 2-5 today.

Great to see Hickey back too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Very convincing win today. We played a lot better than we did against Laois and I think Antrim are better than Laois. Bar a short period after Breen went off when Antrim got on top and they scored a lot.

Our defence was superb, they only scored 1-2 in the second half, 1-1 towards the end. Our goalscoring was very clinical.

Hopefully Breen is okay though. Hannon's point-taking was top class. Dowling scored a great hat-trick as well as the point of the year from way out on the sideline, can't wait to see that on the Sunday game. Mulcahy was very very lively, he's a pure class player, got 2-4 or 2-5 today.

Great to see Hickey back too.

Whats the crack now with the draw. Is the next round an open draw or do Limerick face the either of the winners of next weekends matches?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement