Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Nicky Captain, Hickey vice captain

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Draws for the club championships 2016 were made on Monday night

Senior Hurling
    Group 1: Na Piarsaigh, Kilmallock, Doon, Bruree, South Liberties, Ballybrown.
    Group 2: Patrickswell, Adare, Bruff, Knockainey, Ahane, Murroe-Boher.

Senior Football
    Group 1: Drom Broadford, Ballylanders, St Pats, St Kierans, Oola, Na Piarsaigh.
    Group 2: NCW, Monaleen, Pallasgreen, Rathkeale, Fr Caseys, Ballysteen.

Intermediate Hurling
    Group 1: Feenagh, NCW, Hospital, Pallasgreen, Mungret, Claughaun.
    Group 2: Knockaderry, Glenroe, Kildimo, Dromin Athlacca, St Kierans, Drom Broadford.

Intermediate Football
    Group 1: Cappamore, Glin, Claughaun, Mungret, Bruff, Galbally.
    Group 2: St Senans, Athea, Cappagh, Adare, Mountcollins, Feohanagh Castlemahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭limmyhulk

nice draw for ard scoil ris in harty cup,tougher for castletroy but fancy them to make it an all limerick final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Quaid is a good choice of captain, one of the very small few to emerge from 2015 without any real doubts over his place in the team. Same doesn't go for the new vice-captain, Hickey had a poor year by his standards, a million miles away from his 2014 form.

To be fair, the whole thing was a shambles compared to 2014 so singling out individuals is a bit unfair as there certainly were bigger underlying problems at play.

Going by 2015, there may be no need for a vice captain anyway. In the 13 games, (3 Waterford Crystal cup, 6 league, 4 championship) TJ picked his strongest available 15 every time with the exception of the Laois game in the league, in which he still picked Nickie Quaid to start anyway, the only game Quaid missed was the Clare game due to injury.

For some reason, TJ doesn't appear to trust Aaron Murphy, and Barry Hennessy didn't really inspire confidence in when he was given his opportunity. So unless Quaid picks up an injury, Hickey will most likely not assume the captains role any time soon.

I'd imagine Hickey will have a 'shop steward' style role, and that he will essentially be the players representative in terms of liaising with management and CB and so on. Hopefully his GPA role won't interfere with his playing role, we'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one for now.

Lastly, I don't know what (if anything at all) this says about Donal O'Grady's involvement, he hasn't made any announcements, so for now he's still involved, he had a difficult 2015 but it's too simplistic to just put that down to his age, a lot of players looked 'old' in 2015 after all, he's still in good shape, he's hurling away to his usual standard with Granagh-Ballingarry, and if he's still motivated to keep doing it then I for one would be happy to see his continued involvement in the panel. However, TJ needs to exercise a bit of cop on in terms of how he is utilised, he wasn't used right this year at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Quaid is a good choice of captain, one of the very small few to emerge from 2015 without any real doubts over his place in the team. Same doesn't go for the new vice-captain, Hickey had a poor year by his standards, a million miles away from his 2014 form.

To be fair, the whole thing was a shambles compared to 2014 so singling out individuals is a bit unfair as there certainly were bigger underlying problems at play.

Going by 2015, there may be no need for a vice captain anyway. In the 13 games, (3 Waterford Crystal cup, 6 league, 4 championship) TJ picked his strongest available 15 every time with the exception of the Laois game in the league, in which he still picked Nickie Quaid to start anyway, the only game Quaid missed was the Clare game due to injury.

For some reason, TJ doesn't appear to trust Aaron Murphy, and Barry Hennessy didn't really inspire confidence in when he was given his opportunity. So unless Quaid picks up an injury, Hickey will most likely not assume the captains role any time soon.

I'd imagine Hickey will have a 'shop steward' style role, and that he will essentially be the players representative in terms of liaising with management and CB and so on. Hopefully his GPA role won't interfere with his playing role, we'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one for now.

Lastly, I don't know what (if anything at all) this says about Donal O'Grady's involvement, he hasn't made any announcements, so for now he's still involved, he had a difficult 2015 but it's too simplistic to just put that down to his age, a lot of players looked 'old' in 2015 after all, he's still in good shape, he's hurling away to his usual standard with Granagh-Ballingarry, and if he's still motivated to keep doing it then I for one would be happy to see his continued involvement in the panel. However, TJ needs to exercise a bit of cop on in terms of how he is utilised, he wasn't used right this year at all.

I would be really interested to see Quaid tried as an outfield player. He would well strengthen our midfield or half back line, both of which need to be overhauled.

Don't know about Dodge. I don't think he's been effective at half forward, hasn't the legs for midfield any more, and won't last 70 minutes at 6... I'm not sure I can see a place for him in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Lads I,m hearing this quaid to half back line for a while and though I think he is a fine hurler and maybe a half back his worth as goalie is surely copper fastened after he got injured this yr when the replacement wasn't,t up to it can,t be more simpler than that.
    Agree re dog and maybe it shows why we have a problem on the bench when no announcement has been made on this issue great servant etc but time to move on I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

limmyhulk wrote: »
    nice draw for ard scoil ris in harty cup,tougher for castletroy but fancy them to make it an all limerick final

Would agree, fierce handy draw for ASR. They can keep plenty in the tank for the final, against, I'd suspect, a Tipp opposition. Playing to potential they should have more than enough for Templemore or Nenagh.

Big question as always is if ASR can do it against Kieran's and Kilkenny Cbs????

tipp college teams allways hard to beat,standards consistently high,asr will have plenty to win it out if they bring their A game,would love to see castletroy win it though,have to agree about killkenny college teams,they seem to clip our wings every time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

tipp college teams allways hard to beat,standards consistently high,asr will have plenty to win it out if they bring their A game,would love to see castletroy win it though,have to agree about killkenny college teams,they seem to clip our wings every time

KK teams are the big challenge alright. We'll see how ASR fare against them this year.

Limerick are to play Offaly today in UL i'm hearing can anyone clarify time and which pitch its on will the weather affect this game? i need to get out and get a bit of air :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

This is the team that's doing the rounds this morning for the game against Kerry later on today. Nicky quaid, Sean Finn, Dan Morrissey, Richie English, Paudie o brien, Diarmuid Byrnes, Seamus Hickey, John fitzgibbon, Paul Browne, darragh o Donovan, Gavin o Mahoney, Tom Morrissey, Sean Tobin, Declan hannon and David reidy. Sub keeper is Barry Hennessy and there are a few of the 21s on the bench, Barry o Connell, Barry Nash, Kevin o brien, pat Ryan and Cian lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Realbhoy wrote: »
    This is the team that's doing the rounds this morning for the game against Kerry later on today. Nicky quaid, Sean Finn, Dan Morrissey, Richie English, Paudie o brien, Diarmuid Byrnes, Seamus Hickey, John fitzgibbon, Paul Browne, darragh o Donovan, Gavin o Mahoney, Tom Morrissey, Sean Tobin, Declan hannon and David reidy. Sub keeper is Barry Hennessy and there are a few of the 21s on the bench, Barry o Connell, Barry Nash, Kevin o brien, pat Ryan and Cian lynch.

When and where?

When and where?

Gaelic Grounds at 2pm

twitter.com/JeromeSport/status/683384698182176770?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I can't post links yet, someone might repost that link which will display the team list inc. subs

i thought it was on in Kilmallock?

lim4ev wrote: »
    i thought it was on in Kilmallock?

Yeah it was originally scheduled for Kilmallock yesterday but was switched as the pitch in Kilmallock is unplayable.

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Yeah it was originally scheduled for Kilmallock yesterday but was switched as the pitch in Kilmallock is unplayable.

Fair play i'd have went to kilmallock just heard on radio its the gaelic grounds thanks again

I suppose TJ has already started this year better than 2015 in terms of squad selection alone. Last years squad was announced prior to the Waterford Crystal Cup, and not a single addition was made for the rest of the year, not during or after the WCC, not during or after a poor league campaign, not during the championship when (though that would probably have been too late anyway). Only changes were Tom Ryan and Niall Moran leaving which brought the number from 32 to 30.

It was an ultra conservative panel selection, sticking largely with the 2014 squad, adding Morrissey, Lynch a few guys in their mid 20's. Lynch and Morrissey aside, the 2013 and 2014 minor panels were overlooked. I know, easy to say with the benefit of hindsight, but that only 2 of the All-Ireland winning under 21 panel were on the senior panel doesn't sit well with me. Either TJ was too afraid to take a chance on a few more of these guys or he severely misjudged their potential.

I mean, not even during the Waterford Crystal Cup did he take a punt on any of them. Between the unavailability of Kilmallock players and the college tied players on our panel we were missing about a dozen or so players of the 32 man panel. Ideal chance to bring a few guys on board to shore up the numbers and possibly retain a few on the panel if they prove themselves able. But instead, we went into games with as few as 19/20 players, picked the strongest available 15 with a small handful of subs on the bench.

Good to see a different approach so far this year, plenty of players still involved, no final panel named, 30 players named for the Kerry game, not offering any praise TJ's way however because in fairness after last season, for him to approach this year any other way would be criminal. Good test this weekend down in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If our players are fitter than last year, if our tactics are even a little bit more refined to get the best out of our more talented players and some of the younger lads are at least given a shot to fight for a place; I'll be reasonably happy for 2016.

Form should be rewarded, we have enough players to drop those who are under-performing.

Does NaP's run hurt the chances of the likes of Michael Casey, Ronan Lynch and David Dempsey staking a claim for a place this year?

I,d be happy enough after Sunday the match was irrelevant but I was at last yrs first match in jan15 and already things are looking up.more players brought in and though the game wasn't important and you wouldn't judge anyone whether they were good or bad but if I was to mention one player twud be Sean Finn but it's early and he,s young but one to keep an eye on for me anyway.regarding the nap lads I suppose it will damage their chances but if you,re good enough you will get a chance and for me alan Dempsey and Mike casey are good prospects for this year:

lim4ev wrote: »
    I,d be happy enough after Sunday the match was irrelevant but I was at last yrs first match in jan15 and already things are looking up.more players brought in and though the game wasn't important and you wouldn't judge anyone whether they were good or bad but if I was to mention one player twud be Sean Finn but it's early and he,s young but one to keep an eye on for me anyway.regarding the nap lads I suppose it will damage their chances but if you,re good enough you will get a chance and for me alan Dempsey and Mike casey are good prospects for this year:

Dempsey was on the panel for two years but discarded by TJ last year. He had very limited opportunity but to me performed excellently in the limited league game time he got. He is captain of LIT, was a standout player at u21, and is the best player this year for Na P the Munster club champions, and has been excellent for them for years. He also regularly outplays established senior players when they play at club level. I'm not saying he's the finished article but he's certainly better than some on the limerick panel including regular starters, I can't understand how TJ can leave him out.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    If our players are fitter than last year, if our tactics are even a little bit more refined to get the best out of our more talented players and some of the younger lads are at least given a shot to fight for a place; I'll be reasonably happy for 2016.

Form should be rewarded, we have enough players to drop those who are under-performing.

Does NaP's run hurt the chances of the likes of Michael Casey, Ronan Lynch and David Dempsey staking a claim for a place this year?

If there was one silver lining from the Tipperary game last year it was that TJ reacted by finally benching a number of players who had been playing poorly, that may have been nothing more than a knee jerk reaction but hopefully i was the birth of a ruthless streak in TJ when it comes to team selection.

Fitness can surely only be better? The Dublin game summed it all up, faded out of that game very badly, ran out of gas. It was never right at any stage last year.

As for those fringe Na Piarsaigh players, hard to say. I think I read that there won't be an official panel named until towards the end of March once the NaP players are back on board. So it would appear they are being given every chance. Of those three players you named, I'd like to think that strong performances in an AI semi final and hopefully the final too would be rewarded.

I'm liking the look of things in terms of the squad, if we were all to post our predicted starting XV for the championship I don't think any of us would correctly predict the full team.

can anyone tell me is gearoid hegarty likely to feature with the senior hurlers this year?

can anyone tell me is gearoid hegarty likely to feature with the senior hurlers this year?

He's currently on the panel as far as I know. Your guess is as good as mine after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

He was outstanding at midfield for the footballers V Cork in the McGrath Cup last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

He's currently on the panel as far as I know. Your guess is as good as mine after that.

Think it was in the leader that he would play this weekend...good to have the hurling back!
    Watched a replay on tg4 of the limerick/Galway 21 semi, it was a tougher game than the final scoreline suggested and I remembered... Could have gone either way, Colin ryan was immense, hopefully he comes from injury flying, also think m Casey has more about him for corner back in senior than anyone else...needs to be on the panel this year...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Think it was in the leader that he would play this weekend...good to have the hurling back!
    Watched a replay on tg4 of the limerick/Galway 21 semi, it was a tougher game than the final scoreline suggested and I remembered... Could have gone either way, Colin ryan was immense, hopefully he comes from injury flying, also think m Casey has more about him for corner back in senior than anyone else...needs to be on the panel this year...

I'd hate to see Casey brought in before he's ready and get discarded. But he's growing from strength to strength, and an incredible defender. I think both he and the brother will be fixtures and corner back and corner forward for years to come.

Dempsey was on the panel for two years but discarded by TJ last year. He had very limited opportunity but to me performed excellently in the limited league game time he got. He is captain of LIT, was a standout player at u21, and is the best player this year for Na P the Munster club champions, and has been excellent for them for years. He also regularly outplays established senior players when they play at club level. I'm not saying he's the finished article but he's certainly better than some on the limerick panel including regular starters, I can't understand how TJ can leave him out.

Agree with every word above surely at worst he has to be given a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭raindodger

watched the under 21 match also what is colin ryans injury

From Limerick Leader website. 18 players in, 5 out. Status of Donal O'Grady TBC.

LIMERICK SENIOR HURLING PANEL: Shane Dowling, Kevin Downes, Cathal King, Adrian Breen, Ronan Lynch, Michael Casey, David Dempsey, William O’Donoghue (all Na Piarsaigh), Thomas, Seanie and Kevin O’Brien, Diarmaid Byrnes, Cian Lynch (all Patrickswell), Barry Hennessy, Paudie O’Brien, Gavin O’Mahony, Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock), Seamus Hickey, Seanie Tobin, Mikey Ryan (all Murroe-Boher), Declan Hannon, Wayne McNamara, John Fitzgibbon (all Adare), Richie English, Darragh O’Donovan, Pat Ryan (all Doon), Paul Browne, Sean Finn (both Bruff), Dan and Tom Morrissey (both Ahane), Mike and David Reidy (both Dromin-Athlacca), Kieran O’Rourke (Bruree), Barry Nash (South Liberties), Nickie Quaid (Effin), Richie McCarthy (Blackrock), James Ryan (Garryspillane), David McCarthy (Glenroe), Tom Condon (Knockaderry), Barry O’Connell (Kildimo-Pallaskenry), John Riordan (Templeglantine), Gearoid Hegarty (St Patricks).

limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/18-new-faces-on-limerick-hurling-panel-1-7147569#ixzz3wdxoqgvy

• Advertisement

have to agree with the post about colin ryan and casey brothers-these guys have whats needed to succeed at top level hurling-very impressed with the style and flair of gearoid hegarty though,reminiscent of his dad-i'm loath to dismiss the footballers or anyone who wears a limerick jersey,but i'd love to see this guy apply his talents exclusively to hurling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement