Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

When was the last time there was 3 brothers, O'Briens, on the limerick panel? To be honest with the amount of talent coming through, I'd be surprised if the 3 of them make the cut for the championship panel. Seanie will make the cut no doubt. Kevin lost form dramatically for Limerick last year but is included due to being the best target man in the panel on form, alongside Downes of course, and also due to his goalscoring exploits for Patrickswell last season. Thomas was quite good for the well last year and is probably one of the fastest on the panel but he's very light and has been on the panel long enough now without making a breakthrough.

I've no interest in football but understand Hegarty is a very good footballer. Selfishly I'd prefer if he stayed with the hurling as he was superb last year for the 21s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Apparently Mark O'Loughlin has moved to sars(Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Waterford game called off tomorrow, pitch unplayable, re-fixed for Tuesday January 19th January in Carriganore again at 7.30. Surely they could have fixed it for somewhere else tomorrow, Limerick have to play Cork Sunday 17th, Waterford Tuesday 19th and Clare Sunday 24th. Waterford will play their 4 games on the 13th, 17th, 19th and 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Pandiani wrote: »
    Waterford game called off tomorrow, pitch unplayable, re-fixed for Tuesday January 19th January in Carriganore again at 7.30. Surely they could have fixed it for somewhere else tomorrow, Limerick have to play Cork Sunday 17th, Waterford Tuesday 19th and Clare Sunday 24th. Waterford will play their 4 games on the 13th, 17th, 19th and 24th.
    Ya surely there's a pitch somewhere in Waterford where they could hold it, if not should be on in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

How do lads expect the two Limerick schools to do tonight? Handy win for Ard Scoil but what do people think about Castletroy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

It seems that all Stradbally players have withdrawn from Waterford football panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭limmyhulk

ard scoil thrashed the cork crowd who according to their own were supposed to be handy...castletroy were game but came up short against a good tipp side...another good result for LIMERICK hurling... best of luck to ard scoil ris in their drive for another harty cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

limmyhulk wrote: »
    ard scoil thrashed the cork crowd who according to their own were supposed to be handy...castletroy were game but came up short against a good tipp side...another good result for LIMERICK hurling... best of luck to ard scoil ris in their drive for another harty cup

Right, so Ard Scoil win by 7pts and its a thrashing and Castletroy lose by 7 and they were game :rolleyes:

saw the game roco got 2 points first half ,got a goal at the end to make it a seven point win for ard scoil roco outplayed all over the field not good enough thrashed in my opinion if you like,and im reliably informed castletroy gave a decent templemore team a good game albeit they faded in the final quarter,unlike roco who were never in it,does that answer your question

saw the game roco got 2 points first half ,got a goal at the end to make it a seven point win for ard scoil roco outplayed all over the field not good enough thrashed in my opinion if you like,and im reliably informed castletroy gave a decent templemore team a good game albeit they faded in the final quarter,unlike roco who were never in it,does that answer your question

No you were misinformed I'm afraid, Templemore completely outplayed Castletroy, who got three goals in the first half completely against the run of play when Templemore got sloppy and as soon as they got close Templemore stepped up a gear again, the scoreline of 1-18 to 3-05 tells its own story.

There is one team from Waterford, Limerick, Tipp and Cork in the semi, so how you decided it was great for Limerick hurling is beyond me, looks a perfectly even spread to me.

• Advertisement

nevermind pal chin up theres always next year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Didn't expect either to win tbh, Rochestown had a strong team on paper. Templemore are probably favourites, but Ard Scoil must fancy their chances too- fine result today.

Disappointed that ASR only won by 7, who the **** are 'Roco'. :confused:

T'More looking like there likely opponents in the final.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Didn't expect either to win tbh, Rochestown had a strong team on paper. Templemore are probably favourites, but Ard Scoil must fancy their chances too- fine result today.

With 3 stars of last years tipp minors Templemore have yo be very strong, massive advantage at this level.
    Would Colman's be considered better than rochestown in cork? Thought they would give ASR a harder game...
    From a Limerick minor point of view the ASR team has as many, if not more, clare lads as Limerick and a few tipp too so not really indicative of how string lim minors will be this year...who are considered the faves for Munster minor this year I wonder...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    With 3 stars of last years tipp minors Templemore have yo be very strong, massive advantage at this level.
    Would Colman's be considered better than rochestown in cork? Thought they would give ASR a harder game...
    From a Limerick minor point of view the ASR team has as many, if not more, clare lads as Limerick and a few tipp too so not really indicative of how string lim minors will be this year...who are considered the faves for Munster minor this year I wonder...

Limerick and Tipp are the big favourites. Clare, Cork and Waterford supposed to be very weak. Harty results bear this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I've heard talk that Clare are expected to be strong this year.

Don't think Limerick will be as strong this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

The format of the minor championship is even weirder this year.

Up to now one unlucky team was deprived of a second chance if they lost their first game. But the ingenious solution was to include an extra round which now ensures not only that each team gets two games, but two teams could even benefit from a third chance now!

The loser of the Cork Waterford game plays Tipp, and the loser of that game in turn plays the loser of the Limerick Clare game.

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »

Up to now one unlucky team was deprived of a second chance if they lost their first game. But the ingenious solution was to include an extra round which now ensures not only that each team gets two games, but two teams could even benefit from a third chance now!

The loser of the Cork Waterford game plays Tipp, and the loser of that game in turn plays the loser of the Limerick Clare game.

Its gas...its like they think round robin format is 'foreign' or something so needs to be avoided at all costs, just give each team 4 games and top 2 into final or top into final and 2v3 in a semi to join them... You'd practically use the same amount of dates as would all the play offs etc. At the moment a team can train for 6 months for 2 games, absolute craziness...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I've heard talk that Clare are expected to be strong this year.

Don't think Limerick will be as strong this year.

with the amount of money they are spending clare has to expect that, also the winng of an all ireland by a young team should have worn off by now, the problem is can both the team and management drag their heads out of their arses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

financial boost perhaps, the head is not so great today

• Advertisement

A team could conceivably get 4 chances under that system which is ludicrous, Waterford got 3 chances the year they won the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

danganabu wrote: »
    A team could conceivably get 4 chances under that system which is ludicrous, Waterford got 3 chances the year they won the AI.
    fairly sure it was losing to Tipp in the first round and then the loss to Limerick in the Munster final...= 2?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    fairly sure it was losing to Tipp in the first round and then the loss to Limerick in the Munster final...= 2?

Yes, lost two games so got three chances :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Any one at the cork game today?any chance of a report who,played etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

lim4ev wrote: »
    Any one at the cork game today?any chance of a report who,played etc

Heard report on Limerick95FM this evening.
    Hannon,Mulcahy,Lynch were the standout players.
    The new guys fared well too, Pat Ryan,Donovan,English.
    Hannon bagged 1-09. Reidy played well.
    No goal conceded, but the reporter on RTE radio earlier remarked that the Rebels were poor and well below full strength.
    Still a win is a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

danganabu wrote: »
    Yes, lost two games so got three chances :confused:

Will we give it back altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

O'Grady's retirement now official, comes as no great surprise with him turning 36 this year but still sad to see him go nonetheless. It was a pleasure to watch him hurl over the years, wasn't a spectacular all action in your face intense hurler, instead he had a great knack of doing the right thing when in possession, he really hurled with his head, great vision, versatile, I could go on, I couldn't possibly praise the man highly enough.

A bit symbolic in a way that having now lost the last remaining link to the 2000-2002 under 21 squads we now have a new group of under 21 champions chomping at the bit. Another win in the Munster senior league today with a good handful of the new lads featuring. We can't get too excited yet though because we also started January 2015 brightly!

Wayne McNamara, not 30 until June, is now our oldest panel member! For the first time in my life I'm older than every player on the Limerick panel (come back Dodge!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Lads can anyone confirm where the match v waterford is on tomorrow night i'm hearing both Mallow and the gaelic grounds?Best of luck to Donal o grady a wonderful servant to Limk hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

lim4ev wrote: »
    Lads can anyone confirm where the match v waterford is on tomorrow night i'm hearing both Mallow and the gaelic grounds?Best of luck to Donal o grady a wonderful servant to Limk hurling

GAELIC GROUNDS, so Liam Ahern just said on 95fm sport at 10am.
    Barring another deluge of rain it should go ahead there I would say.

• Advertisement

O'Grady's retirement now official, comes as no great surprise with him turning 36 this year but still sad to see him go nonetheless. It was a pleasure to watch him hurl over the years, wasn't a spectacular all action in your face intense hurler, instead he had a great knack of doing the right thing when in possession, he really hurled with his head, great vision, versatile, I could go on, I couldn't possibly praise the man highly enough.

A bit symbolic in a way that having now lost the last remaining link to the 2000-2002 under 21 squads we now have a new group of under 21 champions chomping at the bit. Another win in the Munster senior league today with a good handful of the new lads featuring. We can't get too excited yet though because we also started January 2015 brightly!

Wayne McNamara, not 30 until June, is now our oldest panel member! For the first time in my life I'm older than every player on the Limerick panel (come back Dodge!!!)
    Yes great servant, remember only played a bit part in the u21 wins and goes on to have the best senior career out if any of those players, a lesson for all young players to keep working hard and striving for another level even after u21...
    Good to see 3 goals being scored, its only January so about as useful as a training match...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement