Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

lim4ev wrote: »
    Lads can anyone confirm where the match v waterford is on tomorrow night i'm hearing both Mallow and the gaelic grounds?Best of luck to Donal o grady a wonderful servant to Limk hurling

Gaelic Grounds 7.30 tomorrow night. Clare match on Saturday night at 7.30, Gaelic Grounds also. A win or a draw in either match for us would mean a Limerick Clare final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Good to hear things are positive in camp, we're fit, winning a few games

Bad kinnerk off to the clare mob and some selections so far, which are repeats of bad decisions before

Nice final for saturday evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Good to hear things are positive in camp, we're fit, winning a few games

Bad kinnerk off to the clare mob and some selections so far, which are repeats of bad decisions before

Nice final for saturday evening

Positive signals coming from Clare, dare I say it but it looks like Davy is getting his s**t together, Cusack is a handy appointment, he's relaxing on the dual player issue, Galvin returned, and Kinnerk has now returned. All he needs to do now is drop this "Everyone is out to get us" small fish nonsense and quit making a fool out of himself with his post game interviews and that "Clare mob" could well be back firing on all cylinders this year.

And I kind of hope they do get it together to be honest, a strong Clare would certainly be a strong threat to our own ambitions this year but that's a challenge I'd like to see us rise to and overcome. There wasn't a great deal of satisfaction from beating them last year because it was quite clear neither team was anywhere near their best.

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Positive signals coming from Clare, dare I say it but it looks like Davy is getting his s**t together, Cusack is a handy appointment, he's relaxing on the dual player issue, Galvin returned, and Kinnerk has now returned. All he needs to do now is drop this "Everyone is out to get us" small fish nonsense and quit making a fool out of himself with his post game interviews and that "Clare mob" could well be back firing on all cylinders this year.

And I kind of hope they do get it together to be honest, a strong Clare would certainly be a strong threat to our own ambitions this year but that's a challenge I'd like to see us rise to and overcome. There wasn't a great deal of satisfaction from beating them last year because it was quite clear neither team was anywhere near their best.

An all firing clare would be 2nd favs for AI, and a serious threat for 2017 which I promised myself is our year, be tough if kinnerk was there to take them to another AI

Wasn't at the game but no surprise to hear we were tactically and selection wise found out.

Poor selections at half back, midfield and half forward found us out, no ability to win high ball, every puck out to cian lynch!!!!

Caught out by quick clare puck outs (Who didn't see that one coming?) and there sweeper system cleaned up, seemed like they were worth more than a one point win

We were relying on incredible performances from Lynch, Nash, English to keep us in the game. The big concern is that the development of these players will be hindered by senior management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I was at the game and wouldn't say ''twas all bad there was some positives the fact is had we a free taker we,d have won the match.great performances as already said by English Nash and the superb c lynch though he was well shackled in the last fifteen by a lad that was told forget the ball just stop him getting it and that's hard to play against but as I know twill be said he,d better get used to it.also think Finn did well.tj has a difficult job trying to blend the young with the old if he gets it right we won,t be far away

We lost a tight game by the smallest of margins against decent opposition having selected an obviously experimental team. Given all that, it would be rather rash to stick the boot in for losing this game. Just as rash as it would have been to celebrate winning the WCC last January.

Start judging once the sliothar is thrown in in three weekends time against Wexford. I'd be satisfied with the pre season competition this year, gave a decent level of game time to a lot of good young players. That wasn't the case last January when we picked the final 2015 panel before the pre season competition and stuck rigidly to that 32 man panel despite injuries and unavailability of the Kilmallock and college tied players ravaging the squad and picked the strongest available XV every time.

So far so good as far as I'm concerned this year, taking a chance on players compared to last year when TJ just played it safe. One of many changes needed, hopefully the league will give indications that changes are afoot on the tactical side of things.

The physical conditioning seemed acceptable in the Munster senior league, early days yet but that never looked at all right last year from the league on, so hopefully they'll be more on top of that this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭limmyhulk

Will we give it back altogether?

good one ham sandwich brigade...you couldn't bate em

Should have started reidy or tobin, no point having hannon on frees especially if he is playing well in open play.

Wouldn't play the same midfield combo for a while

Any news on tomas ryan

Q: who was the other midfielder for the intermediates last year, serious player under the high ball, cant recall

Cant afford the same mistakes as last year, we can say wait for the league but we done that all last year too..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Should have started reidy or tobin, no point having hannon on frees especially if he is playing well in open play.

Wouldn't play the same midfield combo for a while

Any news on tomas ryan

Q: who was the other midfielder for the intermediates last year, serious player under the high ball, cant recall

Cant afford the same mistakes as last year, we can say wait for the league but we done that all last year too..........

Andrew brennan?

• Advertisement

Colemania wrote: »
    Andrew brennan?

Yup could have done with someone like that in the air last night

What are the odds on Dempsey being selected come the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

You can try out all the young lads you want, but without a game plan we are going no where... the same old clueless-ness exists on the sideline... whack it in and whack it high. The sideline is also unable to react to in-game tactical changes by the opposition... roll on 2017.

Madness to write off a season based on the pre-season competition. Sure I guess Kilkenny should write the year off given their defeat to Offaly. (Or should we now consider Offaly favourites for the McCarthy Cup?)

The league will give us a clearer picture on whether O'Connor and Cahill can make a significant difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Madness to write off a season based on the pre-season competition. Sure I guess Kilkenny should write the year off given their defeat to Offaly. (Or should we now consider Offaly favourites for the McCarthy Cup?)

The league will give us a clearer picture on whether O'Connor and Cahill can make a significant difference.

It's based on the whole of last year and this year to date...

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Colemania wrote: »
    Andrew brennan?

Could anyone tell me how old Andrew brennan is? Seems to have been around forever! Anyway with the January preseason out of the way what way are we looking? Its clear that TJ is never going to be Mr tactics...on that note we nearly know what we'll get but hope springs eternal...this is what I would put out in the league:

Quaid
    Sean Finn Richie McCarty Richie English
    D Byrnes S Hickey Gavin O'Mahony
    Pat Ryan Paul Browne
    Daragh O' Donovan Cian Lynch David Reidy
    Barry Nash Tom Morrissey Dec Hannon
    Full back line: English and Finn have shown enough to get a chance, changes needed here, tom condon to get a chance here also
    Half Back Line: at least TJ realises this needs work...don't think we can play a rookie at centre back like Byrne's or O'Connell, either Hickey or Gavin to anchor the line, would gamble on Hickey thriving on the responsibility and specific task and reigning in his crazy runs like in 2014, Dan Morrissey and Barry O'Connell to get chances here too, we're very light on half back options
    Midfield: Pat Ryan form last year was sensational, needs a chance to do it in senior, James Ryan in reserve here
    Half Forward: Let Cian Lynch drag the center back out of position and give opposition teams some thing to think about when they play us, we are far too predictable, D Reidy needs a chance and has been in good form, can he cope physically, DoD to play around the middle third not as an Orthodox half forward, Hannon to play between half forward and full forward lines
    Full forward: Barry Nash has been impressive, can he cope physically but has the pace and ball winning to play in a 2 man ff line, Morrissey is physical enough to survive in senior and playing for place once Dowling comes back

Harsh on Graeme Mulcahy? Maybe but he needs to be presented ball that we are not able to achieve under TJ, maybe an impact sub option...

If we are waiting for cahill/O'Connor to make significant change then id say we are already fighting a losing battle.

Already some of the selection decisions are woeful, get GOM out of the forwards, get POB and SOB out of the backs, dont play browne/jimbob together, put one of morrissey/Nash at half forward to win high ball if thats what we are going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

If we are waiting for cahill/O'Connor to make significant change then id say we are already fighting a losing battle.

Already some of the selection decisions are woeful, get GOM out of the forwards, get POB and SOB out of the backs, dont play browne/jimbob together, put one of morrissey/Nash at half forward to win high ball if thats what we are going to do.

Seanie will do a fine job wing back. He's a scoring option from that position and he's a hard worker. Everyone including himself would probably prefer if he was midfield but I can't see that happening.

ard scoil into another harty final conditions dreadful, overall a poor match,ard scoil never got motoring,just did enough to win

limmyhulk wrote: »
    ard scoil into another harty final conditions dreadful, overall a poor match,ard scoil never got motoring,just did enough to win

I wasn't at it but was told by a good source considering the conditions it was a tremendous game dreadful weather great credit due to both teams.well done ard scoil

whatever pal..... try going to a game perhaps,have you're own opinion?

• Advertisement

limmyhulk wrote: »
    whatever pal..... try going to a game perhaps,have you're own opinion?

Haven,t missed a match since the start of the yr pal my opinion was as I stated down to a good source were you at it?give us some details

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

League starts today, against Tipperary in Kilmallock.

1. Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffins)
    2. Johnny McCarthy (St.Kierans)
    3. Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey's)
    4. Sean O Dea (Kilteely/Dromkeen)
    5. Stephen Cahill (Mountcollins)
    6. Iain Corbett (Newcastlewest) (Captain)
    7. Paul White (Rathkeale)
    8. Gearoid Hegarty (St Patrick's)
    9. Darragh Tracey (St. Kieran's)
    10. Danny Neville (Ballysteen)
    11. Cian Sheehan (Newcastlewest)
    12. Seanie Buckley (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    13. Sean McSweeney (St Kieran's)
    14. Ian Ryan (St Senan's)
    15. Peter Nash (Kildimo Pallaskenry)

Team could change before throw-in, but that was the one named.

Once again, there are a number of footballers in the county who are probably good enough to be on the panel who aren't there for whatever reason- the likes of Seamus O'Carroll, Ger Collins, Bobby O'Brien, Eoghan O'Connor, Boris Hanrahan, Mike Fitzgibbon, Danny Frewen, James O'Meara. Then you've got Robert Browne who was very impressive last year gone to Abu Dhabi, while John Riordan is on the senior hurling panel and is committing to them for the moment. William O'Donoghue has really impressed with Na Piarsaigh, I'd love to see him join up once with the panel once his club commitments are finished.

Jamie Lee & Killian Phair aren't there at the moment, apparently because of injury and Tom Lee hasn't committed.

On the positive side, Stephen Kelly is back in the panel, although not starting today and he still has a huge amount to offer. We've missed someone like him for the past few years. Paudie Browne is back again too, and Pa Ranahan, Johnny McCarthy, Seanie Buckley are all still fighting on.

As for today's game, Tipp are favourites and they absolutely slaughtered us last year in the league but are missing their Clonmel players, Colin O'Riordan is in Australia and Stephen O'Brien and Seamus Kennedy are playing hurling. Missing a lot from last year, so we really should be seeing this as an opportunity to get some points.

Sligo are missing a few players too, we beat Clare last year in the league and had a good comeback in the Championship, we shouldn't be fearing Offaly or Longford either. People are tipping us for relegation and we'll probably be fighting against it but so will plenty of other teams. A win today could do a lot to ease any pressure.

Couple of changes to the Limerick starting team- Brian Fanning, Pa Ranahan, Stephen Kelly starting.

For Paul Whyte, Cian Sheehan and Peter Nash.

2-9 to 1-12 final score.

Tipp dominated the first half, but only led by 4 points. We were by far the better team in the second half, opened up a 3-point lead but a late goal from Tipp levelled things up and then they took the lead in injury time but Ian Ryan scored his 9th point of the game at the very end to get us a deserved draw. Peter Nash got another goal from the bench, and Seanie Buckley got 2 typical monster scores.

We'll take it although it is disappointing considering we were winning by 3 approaching full-time.

Does anyone know when Colin ryan is due back?was it his cruciate he did?and when did it happen?

Does anyone know when Colin ryan is due back?was it his cruciate he did?and when did it happen?

Did his ACL, I think. It was in the abandoned football game between Pallasgreen & St. Pat's back in September.

Think it's the bones of the year that he's expected to be out for. Even if it's 9 months or so, it'd probably be too late to make any county panels this year, unfortunately for him and for us in general. Super player.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Did his ACL, I think. It was in the abandoned football game between Pallasgreen & St. Pat's back in September.

Think it's the bones of the year that he's expected to be out for. Even if it's 9 months or so, it'd probably be too late to make any county panels this year, unfortunately for him and for us in general. Super player.

Thanks for that yea agree with you he,s a great hurler and will be missed if he doesn't,t get back.if he did it in sept the first round of the u21 is late June any chance?

Thanks for that yea agree with you he,s a great hurler and will be missed if he doesn't,t get back.if he did it in sept the first round of the u21 is late June any chance?

Possibly, but unlikely. That would him just being back in training.

Maybe he'd join the panel then, but he could be well off the pace. I know Nash joined late last year, but he hadn't been seriously injured like that. He'd be lucky to make any 21s games I'd say.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Possibly, but unlikely. That would him just being back in training.

Maybe he'd join the panel then, but he could be well off the pace. I know Nash joined late last year, but he hadn't been seriously injured like that. He'd be lucky to make any 21s games I'd say.

The under 21 squad had something like 42 players last year didn't it? I'd imagine they'll keep him on the extended squad but for reasons you've given it's highly unlikely he'll make the match day 26, not unless they make it past the Munster championship.

We'll most likely be bookies favourites for the under 21 but winning the Munster championship will be difficult. Away to Cork, win that and away to Tipp. Win that and either away to Waterford or home to Clare (you'd have to expect Waterford to come through the other semi).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

I see Cian Lynch got a red card in 21 game last night on top of last weeks Mary I one ??? 2 straight reds in sucession not good.

He could be facing lenghty suspension

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement