Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Feck, same as last week, at least we got the draw then and were even further in front today

Lynch didnt foul the ball imo, his hurl stuck in the mud but he only lifted the ball once, fair goal

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Lynch didnt foul the ball imo, his hurl stuck in the mud but he only lifted the ball once, fair goal

His first attempt moved the ball (marginally) which meant he fouled the ball. Goal shouldn't have stood and ref should have thrown in the ball.
    Having said that the incident came way too early in the game to say it had an effect on the outcome. Na P were the better team and deserved to win.
    Mind you they can thank their supposed lesser lights for getting them to the final because for me, some of the marquee names were poor yesterday. Both wing backs excellent, both midfielders excellent (O'Donoughe rightly named MOTM), Been at fullback though not rated by many I thought had a fine game, brother David solid throughout and Kevin Downed in e/t in particular was outstanding.
    They'll win the final hand as they will have too much hurling in too many positions for Cushendall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

His first attempt moved the ball (marginally) which meant he fouled the ball. Goal shouldn't have stood and ref should have thrown in the ball.
    Having said that the incident came way too early in the game to say it had an effect on the outcome. Na P were the better team and deserved to win.
    Mind you they can thank their supposed lesser lights for getting them to the final because for me, some of the marquee names were poor yesterday. Both wing backs excellent, both midfielders excellent (O'Donoughe rightly named MOTM), Been at fullback though not rated by many I thought had a fine game, brother David solid throughout and Kevin Downed in e/t in particular was outstanding.
    They'll win the final hand as they will have too much hurling in too many positions for Cushendall.
    Similar things were said in the run up to Na Piarsaigh's semi final with Loughgiel in 2012 and Loughgiel hammered them.

Cushendall gave Sarsfields a right hammering, I don't know much about Sarsfields but one thing I do know is that average teams do not win the Galway championship, it is arguably the strongest club championship in the country. There will be no "handy" wins over any team that beats the Galway champions by more than double scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Similar things were said in the run up to Na Piarsaigh's semi final with Loughgiel in 2012 and Loughgiel hammered them.

Cushendall gave Sarsfields a right hammering, I don't know much about Sarsfields but one thing I do know is that average teams do not win the Galway championship, it is arguably the strongest club championship in the country. There will be no "handy" wins over any team that beats the Galway champions by more than double scores.

Agree. In fact I'd think Na P will need to play better than they did against OTB, particularly in the second half.

• Advertisement

****, Seán Finn out for the year with a cruciate ligament injury :(

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

That's a blow, for seniors and 21s, thought he had a good chance of nailing down a starting spot in the full back line during the league... The 21s now need to replace 1/3 of the starting outfield team for this years campaign, including 4 of the defense... Kiely will have work to do certainly...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

This is a different team to the Na P team of 2012. Battle hardened now with the required levels of experience to know how to win.
    If some of their bigger names who didn't cover themselves in glory on Sat last turn up for the final and the rest of the team perform like they did last day out I can see only one winner.
    Sarsfields generally reckoned to be the poorest Galway champions in a good while.
    I certainly don't mean to be disrespectful to Cushendall and of course I might be wrong but I genuinely believe Na P will win comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Shocking news a terrible loss to all teams he'd have played on.

On a positive note well done nap on a hard fought game was always going to be hard but for some reason limk teams make it harder again.They need to be very wary of cushendall me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I'm still sickened Patrickswell were only a point away from drawing with Na Piarsigh, the now all Ireland club finalists, in the county final.

What might have been.....

• Advertisement

Colemania wrote: »
    I'm still sickened Patrickswell were only a point away from drawing with Na Piarsigh, the now all Ireland club finalists, in the county final.

What might have been.....

Favourites for next year I think. Teams that go on a run in the all Ireland series never seem to reach the same heights the next year, Kilmallock have gone back a little bit I think, and Patrickswell are young and improving. And will be thinking what you said that they were only a point away, big motivation for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Favourites for next year I think. Teams that go on a run in the all Ireland series never seem to reach the same heights the next year, Kilmallock have gone back a little bit I think, and Patrickswell are young and improving. And will be thinking what you said that they were only a point away, big motivation for next year.

Fantastic signing of Ross Corbett as coach for the well too. The lads said the training at the moment is top class

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

Limerick SH to play Wexford NQuaid TCondon RMcCarthy REnglish DMorrissey DByrne SHickey JFitzgibbon PBrowne DReidy GOMahony CLynch TMorrissey DHannon BNash

Really cant be playing GOM at CF, will still struggle to win puckouts unless one of the 2 move out, already have lynch coming deep....

Wouldn't have gone with that midfield combo either

It's not the worst but it is a little uninspiring. Without Dowling, Downes and with the retirements of O'Grady and Breen, we're a bit light in experience and depth up front so I've no problem throwing O'Mahony back in at 11, did a decent job there in the opening game last year v Waterford (pretty sure he picked up MOTM), he's a good stopgap, highly doubt he's seen as a continued option there going forward (unless he put's in a few excellent performances at 11). He might have ideas of his own, he has previously voiced slight discontent at being continually deployed at half back.

Right call at centre back, so much potential in Byrnes, I really hope he fulfills it in time, I'm always cautious as the 2000-02 under 21 teams are proof that potential is absolutely no guarantee, but I really am hopeful on Byrnes.

Slightly concerned on full back line. McCarthy, if fit, one of the very best full backs in the country. If fit...

Condon, great player to watch, tendency to pick up yellow cards which is not ideal for a corner back, looks like the wing back experiment is over? He likes to travel up the pitch when in possession, which is great when it works, but can lead to him giving away possession cheaply, and being out of position.

Richie English; Most likely heir to the number 3 jersey, in the meantime, is corner back within his comfort zone? I hope so, but it will be a steep learning curve either way.

Hickey; I just hope 2015 is well and truly behind him, he was unusually poor by his standards, seemed to go to ground an awful lot, just stay on your bloody feet man!! You're no good to us on all fours or planted on your backside!

Most of all, I just want to see a team that isn't so static, stop sticking to their positions, don't leave oceans of space at the heart of our defence for opposition to exploit, I mean no disrespect to Westmeath, but it's one thing the likes of Tipperary dancing their way through your half back line into acres of space at will, but when Westmeath do the same things are not good, we were so very lucky they weren't more clinical because they created enough chances to have that game dead and buried with 15 minutes to go.

About right, there's plenty of vunreability there, it could all go wrong at anytime but in the circumstances its 2/3 changes from as good as we can do.

As you say a bit of movement up front and the real Hickey turning up would be huge bonuses

Richie mac will give em hell tonight im sure

Hope byrnes keeps his discipline in check

Byrnes wasn't even 6 for the 21s. Expecting him to step up to 6 for senior is a bit naive I think. He might be a better player than O'Connell, but if O'Connell gets the cover to allow him play a deep sitting centre back role then I think he's the better man for 6. Byrnes is a nailed on starter for me but I'd have him on the wing.

I like Gavin at half forward but given the options we have for the forwards to come back in I think we're robbing Peter to pay Paul to move him from half back. He's probably our best option at 6 and would be a loss at wing back either.

14 is the only spot for Dowling IMO, and he's a better option there than Hannon and so Hannon has to shift to half forward for me. Would prefer to see Hannon half forward and Morrissey at full for now.

Must be the smallest midfield ever fielded!

Byrnes if by far and away our best option, with Richie behind him that's solid, fault line is our right flank but lets see how they go

If nash and Morrissey preform there wont be enough room for both hannon and dowling, only room for one enigma on any team

Pat ryan to hit the winner tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

An interesting selection and I wonder if there will be any changes before throw in. My only concern is the role of Cian Lynch and how his movement will impact on the forward lines in general. If he drops deep will one of the inside line move out to fill his spot? I would like to see Cian adopt that roaming role and bring Tom Morrissey out to the half line as he did with the 21s last year at times and hassle Wexford and stop them delivering clean ball. That leaves Hannon and Nash inside with space which I think they can really exploit. Also might physicality be an issue? The Wexford lads are pretty sizeable and we might struggle to win ball if it's not delivered well into the forwards. Think Limerick will win however by less than 5 points and with plenty to work on for next week in Kerry. COYBIG.

A good first half, but, Wexford are awful. Division 1B offers us nothing. We have to get out of this bloody division.

• Advertisement

We've serious choices at midfield, need to make 2 subs there every game

Will take a 13 point win over them everyday of the week, still plenty to improve, the lead up to the goal was lucky but we were comfortable after that

Who was the fella on the sideline shouting the good advive? "no more roll lifts" "two hands" etc was right on top of every mistake, was reacting to everything in time?

Seamus Hickey would really want to get his head in the game

Would worry about the subs we made 3 similar players two ball winners taken off and why not make 5 subs

Byrnes got his yellow but is our CB as predicted

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Liam Dunne won't see the league out...he woeful and has lost the respect in 2015 let alone now.wasnt the clubs choice for to be appointed again but Devereux wanted him.a doubt he passed his leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

The simple fact is Liam Dunne and co wouldn't train Ivy ta grow up a wall!
    Hate ta knock my county but it's the truth.

Little enough learned from that. Pleasing to see us play some tidy hurling though.
    Quaid's puck outs are a major cause for concern. Misdirected or over or underhits it all the time. Two in particular were very bad. Wing back on their own in space free for a short puckout, instead of a ball to the hand Quaid overshot them by 15 feet. Hickey cleverly switched a pass on the ground to Fitz in space for a point, and Morrissey salvaged the second, but those will be punished in summer hurling.

Condon was the pick of the full backs in the first half. Second half he effected a fine rugby tackle and had one of his glory runs up the field and hail mary shot at a point which was short and wide and must have been extremely frustrating for Hannon on the edge of the square. McCarthy looked sharp and unflustered. English looked ok, won and lost a few balls.

Hickey looked very good but some poor decisions at times. Morrissey was grand but not a contender for summer IMO. Byrnes really couldn't have been any better.

Browne was excellent, a few impressive long distance points, left and right, his striking has improved immeasurably. Fitz was impressive in the first half, he noticeably looks up immediately every time he he gets the ball in hand. May be a good sub option for midfield in the last few minutes.

Gavin was anonymous for most of the match. First time seeing Reidy play in a long time and bar one long range point he was weak in general. Lynch wasn't great but this weather doesn't suit him, should have been taken off really.
    Hannon looked sharp enough. Nash and Morrissey were the pick of the forwards, Morrissey was the best of the 6 and it seems can play any position in the forwards, I think he'll make his way into the first 15 for summer.
    O'Donovan came on and was alright. Tobin and Mulcahy both came on and looked very sharp. Why we didn't use more subs I don't know. Nor do I know why we waited so long to use them and didn't use the less established squad members. Seanie O'Brien was an unused sub.

Byrnes if by far and away our best option, with Richie behind him that's solid, fault line is our right flank but lets see how they go

If nash and Morrissey preform there wont be enough room for both hannon and dowling, only room for one enigma on any team

Pat ryan to hit the winner tonight

Byrnes certainly couldn't have done any better last night anyway.

Morrissey was very impressive last night. Hannon has started the year looking sharp and greater interest and workrate, bodes well. I don't see Dowling as an enigma though, he has been our best and most consistent forward the last two years. He is one of the first names on the team sheet for me -at full forward, nowhere else.

Morrissey, Nash, Lynch, Dowling are certainties to start in the forwards. For a change it looks like its going to be harder to get on than off the limerick panel, which bodes well

Byrnes great, some good stick passing in general and good movement, not enough of the latter though

Did you see Hickey complaining 3 times to the ref about the same free, cost 10 yards and condon eventually had to haul a man down to stop a goal, ridiculous stuff

Did you see Hickey complaining 3 times to the ref about the same free, cost 10 yards and condon eventually had to haul a man down to stop a goal, ridiculous stuff

Yeah that was a bit brain dead by Hickey, could have cost Condon dear as he was on a yellow card, we should thank the ref for not showing him a second one. Condon was the stand out performer in the full back line though. English did well too in fairness.

McCarthy was okay, but got caught a few times, not great when out in front of his marker, luckily he generally recovered well when failed to win primary possession, and is very effective when between his man and the goal, but just seemed a little rusty yesterday.

Byrnes was good, Morrissey did well, Hickey was better than that guy impersonating him last year but on a few occasions gave possession away cheaply by hitting poor ball up the pitch.

Browne, excellent. Seemed to tire a little in latter stages but put in a fine shift, did every thing we have come to expect of him, very consistent player. Fitzgibbon, good. Offers depth in midfield, probably not a championship starter (yet) but did well enough yesterday.

Nash, T.Morrissey, happy with their respective efforts, put themselves about, good to see forwards defending from the front, chipped in a few points each from play. Great to see two young lads stepping up to fill the shoes of the recently departed O'Grady and Breen. They should see plenty of game time in the absence of the Na Piarsaigh contingent.

O'Mahony; good stick man, plenty of ability, but doesn't look a natural forward, still picked off a few good scores but would need more game time to get a better positional sense for the centre forward, can we afford to give him that time?

Reidy; He was regularly cleaned out in the first half when Wexford were particularly awful. I'm sad to say that I don't share whatever it is the management see in him, he's had a few years now, I wouldn't drop him entirely just yet but he needs to do better than what he produced yesterday.

Lynch, not really shaking off this notion that he's best suited to hard ground, a bit careless a few times, one over the shoulder pass to a gaggle of Wexford players, but did pick out a few good passes, picked out players in good positions and picked off one nice point. A bit subdued but did have a few positive moments.

Hannon; More often than not the Wexford full back line dealt with him but he did make himself a bit of a nuisance, took his goal well. Can't say based on that performance he is any better than Dowling or Downes at 14.

Wexford; terrible. They were a bit knackered when we met them in 2014, they threw away an 8 point lead against us in Wexford last year, they were brutal yesterday, sure, they had a good spell at the start of the second half but the game was over as a contest. It's never good to see a good county down, they showed great promise in 2014, have had a relatively successful few years at under 21, but they just can't take that next step up at senior level. It's hard to take any joy out of winning a game like that, you want to beat a good and competitive Wexford team, not hammer a poor one.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

A very good limerick performance against a terribly poor Wexford team, dare I say the last two hammerings limerick have given Wexford have left a mental scare, I think Wexford are better then Offaly but we can't dispatch them with the same ease at all.
    Good to see tom condon in form, may not have started if Sean Finn hadn't the misfortune he did. Richie English and diarmuid Byrne's couldn't have a better match to ease into senior fare. Thought tom Morrissey was excellent throughout, popped up everywhere, Barry Nash also showing well...Graeme mulcahy I think is suited to the impact sub role, when the match is looser and theres more space. All in all a facile win, doesn't tell us anything, this league system is doing nothing for the teams outside top 5...needs a rethink

• Advertisement

Kerry game switched from Tralee to Killarney. (Still 2pm)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement