Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭limmyhulk

well done to UL Mary I and LIT,in the fitzgibbon cup---
    all the best to Ard Scoil Ris Contesting the Harty Cup Final---
    termendous school,what a credit to LIMERICK they are,been watching
    Limerick recently,younger lads like Byrnes,Nash,Lynch etc...have serious class,
    the future's bright,onwards and upwards,LUIMNEACH ABU!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

limmyhulk wrote: »
    well done to UL Mary I and LIT,in the fitzgibbon cup---
    all the best to Ard Scoil Ris Contesting the Harty Cup Final---
    termendous school,what a credit to LIMERICK they are,been watching
    Limerick recently,younger lads like Byrnes,Nash,Lynch etc...have serious class,
    the future's bright,onwards and upwards,LUIMNEACH ABU!

and Clare of course both on and off the field of play

fair enough--- credit the Clare guys too

diarmuid byrnes is a fine player but he won`t develop into the player he could become if he gets stuck at 6.
    right half back is his best position by a mile and with a good solid holding centreback as o`connell was for the 21s he could really blossom provided his discipline is good.
    i would be surprised if o`connell made it

byrnes is an out and out number 6 for me,i think he will star whatever number he has on his back- o connell has his detractors but i see future potential there-
    how do you see this div 1b fairing out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Byrnes is slightly better at half back but he's our centre back for the short medium term for sure, would like to see wayne mac given a go with byrnes at half back.

Hegarty is certainly our next best half back but there's the football, hope management are open to drafting him in late to the panel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Byrnes has the makings of a decent centre back, it's a position we haven't really nailed down since Brian Geary was at his peak.

In simple terms, McNamara and O'Mahony are both solid 7/8 out of 10 performers at centre back, for a long time we haven't had a guy who dominates that sector of the pitch and dictates a lot of our play.

McNamara and O'Mahony aren't dominant aerial hurlers, Byrnes is capable of actually catching the damn sliothar, winning primary position in one clean go, something we sorely lack. Byrnes could play across the half back line, I agree he shouldn't be automatically shoe-horned into centre back but we need him as an option across the line so a bit of time at centre back at the moment is good. There are less reservations about his ability to play on the wings but he also performed a sweeper role at times last season as well.

If we play Byrnes on the wing do we persist with McNamara and O'Mahony with Hannon as an emergency third choice at number 6? I'm a big fan of both Gavin and Wayne but we'd be very well served by another good option at centre back, and who better than Diarmaid Byrnes right now?

respect to footballers but i hope we get hegarty hurling sooner rather than later-i have great time for wayne and gavin but feel we need
    to go with the up and coming guys----any opinions on this years minor team?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Byrnes has the makings of a decent centre back, it's a position we haven't really nailed down since Brian Geary was at his peak.

In simple terms, McNamara and O'Mahony are both solid 7/8 out of 10 performers at centre back, for a long time we haven't had a guy who dominates that sector of the pitch and dictates a lot of our play.

McNamara and O'Mahony aren't dominant aerial hurlers, Byrnes is capable of actually catching the damn sliothar, winning primary position in one clean go, something we sorely lack. Byrnes could play across the half back line, I agree he shouldn't be automatically shoe-horned into centre back but we need him as an option across the line so a bit of time at centre back at the moment is good. There are less reservations about his ability to play on the wings but he also performed a sweeper role at times last season as well.

If we play Byrnes on the wing do we persist with McNamara and O'Mahony with Hannon as an emergency third choice at number 6? I'm a big fan of both Gavin and Wayne but we'd be very well served by another good option at centre back, and who better than Diarmaid Byrnes right now?
    I'd be giving Byrne's the league anyway at no. 6, think he'll either be at 6 or wing back for the championship...Ronan Lynch, with a full club campaign and hopefully u21 this year in the half back line, should be ready to step up in 2017, hopefully he gets a bit more aggression in his game.
    Agreed we have struggled to fill the centre back position permanently since Geary left.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Mehapoy wrote: »
    I'd be giving Byrne's the league anyway at no. 6, think he'll either be at 6 or wing back for the championship...Ronan Lynch, with a full club campaign and hopefully u21 this year in the half back line, should be ready to step up in 2017, hopefully he gets a bit more aggression in his game.
    Agreed we have struggled to fill the centre back position permanently since Geary left.

Lynch will be ready this year IMO and should be well in line to start wing back or wing forward by summer. Probably has a bit of S&C work to catch up on.

On Byrnes, if we had another option at 6 I'd prefer him on the wing. Hegarty has a good bit of work to do on his hurling but could still step up. I would be giving O'Connell as much game time as possible during the league, he may not make the step up this year but if he did it would be a huge addition.

Byrnes will be one of the half back line. With two more to be picked from Gavin, O'Connell, Hickey, Lynch, and Wayne. I don't think Condon cuts it at wing back. If Gavin is shifted to half forward it probably means an entirely new half back line which may not be the best idea.

• Advertisement

Lynch will be ready this year IMO and should be well in line to start wing back or wing forward by summer. Probably has a bit of S&C work to catch up on.

On Byrnes, if we had another option at 6 I'd prefer him on the wing. Hegarty has a good bit of work to do on his hurling but could still step up. I would be giving O'Connell as much game time as possible during the league, he may not make the step up this year but if he did it would be a huge addition.

Byrnes will be one of the half back line. With two more to be picked from Gavin, O'Connell, Hickey, Lynch, and Wayne. I don't think Condon cuts it at wing back. If Gavin is shifted to half forward it probably means an entirely new half back line which may not be the best idea.

diarmuid byrnes defends by trying to win the ball all the time. sometimes a centre back has to drop off and not go for it

I will be shocked if ronan lynch makes it as an intercounty half back.

diarmuid byrnes defends by trying to win the ball all the time. sometimes a centre back has to drop off and not go for it

Its a unit, if Byrnes attacks then the half back sweeps behind him, simple.

THink Lynch can make it but not this year for me

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

You love being negative about players. The last four years you were touting O'Connell as the future of Limerick hurling.

Most people would expect the centre back on an all Ireland club finalist team to have a good chance at making it as a senior county player. Especially one that's been as impressive as Lynch has, and who is only just out of minor, giving him plenty of time to develop yet.

Just one change, ODonovan in for Fitzgibbon. Rather disappointed with that to be honest. Should have been a few more.

Just one change, ODonovan in for Fitzgibbon. Rather disappointed with that to be honest. Should have been a few more.

And fitz deserves another start

Mulcahy is in for Tom Morrissey also,
    would'nt have minded cian lynch and daragh o Donovan being rested too but they are starting...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Mulcahy is in for Tom Morrissey also,
    would'nt have minded cian lynch and daragh o Donovan being rested too but they are starting...
    Whoops, didn't spot that one! Bit harsh on Morrissey but he'll most likely still feature. I was hoping to see English get a game at number 3, and hopefully O'Connell still gets a game or two at number 6. TJ was fairly poor in team selection during the league last season and the fact he made so few changes (just two straight swaps, no positional reshuffling) worryingly hints to the same old conservative approach.

Maybe Kerry's impressive start changed their minds and they figured that sending an inexperienced team out on the pitch in Killarney against an in form Kerry (10 competitive wins in succession leading into this game) could easily backfire.

The way I look at it, there'll be no easy win for us this weekend, Wexford were tripe, and things are far from rosy in their camp. That game really flattered us and I honestly reckon Kerry will offer a much stiffer test. Even with six or seven changes we should have the quality to see this one through and if not we would have been able to call on experienced players on the bench to come on and get it over the line. I'm looking forward to seeing Kerry up close for 70 minutes.

The team selected will win, but will we learn anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

I've been lucky enough to see a few of the training sessions this year and the emphasis on moving the ball quickly is very noticeable. Crisp 20-30 yard passes with the ball fairly zipping along with lots of player movement which looks very good. You can hear Dinny Cahills voice most of the way around UL, he must not talk for the rest of the week!! Really looking forward to seeing us in action when the pitches get a bit firmer. COYBIG

Just saw byrnes yellow there, was a ridiculous thing to do, he/they need to sort it out before he sees red in championship

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ard Scoil won the Harty today, beat Templemore 0-11 to 0-8.

• Advertisement

Said last week condon should have got red, couglan should have got red for one tonight and a second for his dive

Management are going to have to find 2-3 weeks off for the Na P, U-21/college players in May or else there going to be fcuked in july (presumably there's no chance with club championship?)

Well done to Ard scoil,another great result for LIMERICK hurling,Peter Casey superb,really looking forward to seeing him in action on paddys day,final score flattered templmore,ard scoil much the better team,hit way too many wides albeit conditions dreadful,
    wishing them every sucess in their push for all ireland glory

limmyhulk wrote: »
    Well done to Ard scoil,another great result for LIMERICK hurling,Peter Casey superb,really looking forward to seeing him in action on paddys day,final score flattered templmore,ard scoil much the better team,hit way too many wides albeit conditions dreadful,
    wishing them every sucess in their push for all ireland glory
    Would be great to see them go on and win an all Ireland, I think better teams that this asr have failed to take an ai but they seem a battle hardened outfit, never seem to be beaten.
    Are many of the Limerick lads eligible for limerick minors, I presume Jerome boylan and Paul O'Brien are there, are Brian ryan and daragh Carroll still underage?
    On another note what a few years hurling its been for Peter casey, not many lads in ireland would have the range of honours he's had at 18!

kk teams stumbling block for us-hopefully beat them this year-i agree with you thiis team have a steely edge to them-o brien and boylan won dean ryan recently-not sure about the rest-not hearing a lot about Limerick minors,very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Yes mighty win for ard scoil by God are they tough out,as already said conditions brutal a lot of scrums and yes there has been better are scoil teams but they seem to suck the life out of their opponents would be great if they could win it out,they had that extra bit of class and I was v impressed with the two Boylans and of course the superb p casey they should have been more ahead though and could have been caught with a late sucker punch which would have been a sickener

Anyone else think it strange temple more never brought out fair brother in second half stuck in full forward line from what I could see and no ball going in.

What's the story now who,s up next who,d be favourites?

They're both gone throughto last 6 i think---cbs kk or st kierans hard to beat--probably favs-
    something tells me could be ard scoils year+have to agree about casey,what a talent he is,paul o brien fron mungret one to watch
    for the future LUIMNAECH ABU supernova!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Hope you,re right how many do we owe the kk schools now?tough ask though,how many of the team played dean ryan this yr or is that allowed Excuse my ignorance. I was told about the boylans and in particular the half back and neither disappointed yest would I be right in saying one of them is very young?

its either conor or jerome boylan were joint captains with rory duff mungret,along with o brien played dean ryan---
    looked very strong but got beaten by st kierans---not sure after that,will have to check that out

• Advertisement

apologies to lim4ev for abruptness on earlier post--- no need for it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement