Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think Darragh Carroll is still underage for minor alright, not sure about Brian Ryan, I think he might be.

Jerome Boylan has 2 years at minor afaik.

Goal for Declan Hannon! 1-9 to 0-2.

Goal Kerry. Long free in around the square, dealt with very poorly by Limerick full-back line. That kind of thing is always slightly worrying.

Nash replied instantly. 1-12 to 1-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Fitz on for D'OD, replace Nash and Lynch at half time please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Wish I'd stayed home, this is fierce ****e

• Advertisement

Wexford beating Clare for most of the game, but throw it away at the end (or, alternatively, Clare come back strongly). Would have been a nice favour, would have given us a serious advantage.

We had an awful 2nd half, only scored 3 points, but we still got the win. 1-19 to 1-15.

Ok, first thing to note: Conditions weren't great, persistent gale and rain across the pitch a big factor, surface wasn't great, so I begrudgingly give a lot of the players a free pass on handling errors and such.

But even given that there is plenty to be concerned by. Decision making wasn't great at times, some very poor pass selection, overhit, underhit, cross field passes to guys surrounded by Kerry players. Quaid took wrong option a few times with puck outs.

Condon did ok, English too but had to commit a foul when Kerry cut us open at one stage. McCarthy ok, his pace concerns me however.

Byrnes was slightly above average, DMorrissey quiet for spells, looked better when in full back line. Hickey inconsistent, did a lot well but too many errors.

Browne worked away as is the norm with him, ODonovan quiet but unlucky to be taken off so early. Fitzgibbon came on for him, had an absolute shocker. I don't know if he was pissed off at being dropped ahead of this game but he did himself no favours today.

Reidy was much improved on last week, picked off a few nice scores and put himself about well. OMahony, not a forward at this level. Lynch some great skills on display but slightly wasteful with decision making.

Nash a hard worker, didn't hide but perhaps struggled with conditions, like Mulcahy who had a very quiet game. Hannon ok, got another goal but by no means outstanding, Kerry full back line coped with him. If he could claim primary possession into his hand he would be a deadly full forward but as it stands we're better off with Downes or Dowling at 14.

Overall, what a load of pants. Again though, to go back to my initial point, conditions were bad, but still, not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Ok, first thing to note: Conditions weren't great, persistent gale and rain across the pitch a big factor, surface wasn't great, so I begrudgingly give a lot of the players a free pass on handling errors and such.

But even given that there is plenty to be concerned by. Decision making wasn't great at times, some very poor pass selection, overhit, underhit, cross field passes to guys surrounded by Kerry players. Quaid took wrong option a few times with puck outs.

Condon did ok, English too but had to commit a foul when Kerry cut us open at one stage. McCarthy ok, his pace concerns me however.

Byrnes was slightly above average, DMorrissey quiet for spells, looked better when in full back line. Hickey inconsistent, did a lot well but too many errors.

Browne worked away as is the norm with him, ODonovan quiet but unlucky to be taken off so early. Fitzgibbon came on for him, had an absolute shocker. I don't know if he was pissed off at being dropped ahead of this game but he did himself no favours today.

Reidy was much improved on last week, picked off a few nice scores and put himself about well. OMahony, not a forward at this level. Lynch some great skills on display but slightly wasteful with decision making.

Nash a hard worker, didn't hide but perhaps struggled with conditions, like Mulcahy who had a very quiet game. Hannon ok, got another goal but by no means outstanding, Kerry full back line coped with him. If he could claim primary possession into his hand he would be a deadly full forward but as it stands we're better off with Downes or Dowling at 14.

Overall, what a load of pants. Again though, to go back to my initial point, conditions were bad, but still, not good enough.
    Shocking second half, same as last year, no consistency, could see offaly catching us if we give a performance like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Oh dear, sounds like we're reverting to type

I'll give a bit of credit to Kerry, giving out about Limerick a bit imbalanced, part of why I was so frustrated with Limerick was a lot to do with Kerry putting it up to us, appeared to be good spirit in the Kerry team, worked hard for each other, given the conditions there were a lot of those scramble situations with a gaggle of players all fighting for the ball, Kerry won the majority of those battles.

We started much better but they got to grips with it midway through the first half, and we got very little off them in the second half. A decisive factor could well be that we won the toss and got the wind.

I won't be patronising by suggesting they should be proud despite the defeat but I'd definitely back them to retain Division 1 and McCarthy cup status. I'd be surprised if they didn't to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I called it in November. We are going no where....the young lads are being run into the ground, something which Dodge fought against and subsequently left over. We simply don't have it on the sidelines... Roll on 2017.

I can't speak for your real life opinion but you certainly didn't make that call here as your posting history suggests you didn't post here between last July and last month!

And I wouldn't know O'Grady personally but I do know a few people who know him very well (friends and family of his), that is not why he left the panel. He left for petty much the exact reasons he gave when he spoke about his retirement at the time.

He's 35, turns 36 in the summer, wasn't 100% happy with his form last year, doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce why he left. Spreading misinformation unhelpful.

Are they being over-trained? I don't know, you might be right there, but the O'Grady theory is fiction I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 meg2010

As a Kerry woman married to a Limerick man it was a great occasion but strange to be shouting against Limerick today as I've been to every Limerick match in past 3 yrs. Most concerned about lack of scoring in 2nd half given that Kerry scored 1-5 into d same conditions in the 1st half. Also, don't like to comment on individual players but Richie McCarthy, although he had a good game, looked noticeably unfit.

meg2010 wrote: »
    As a Kerry woman married to a Limerick man it was a great occasion but strange to be shouting against Limerick today as I've been to every Limerick match in past 3 yrs. Most concerned about lack of scoring in 2nd half given that Kerry scored 1-5 into d same conditions in the 1st half. Also, don't like to comment on individual players but Richie McCarthy, although he had a good game, looked noticeably unfit.

Yeah that's an accusation that has kind of followed him around for a few years now really, he does sometimes appear that way but it hasn't mattered as when push comes to shove he's a fairly reliable performer who has saved our bacon many a time. Came under fire after the Tipperary game last year but he was rushed back too soon from injury for that game, he was unfit in the sense that he wasn't fully recovered from that injury.

Some players just have that body type, similar things have been said about Dowling too, I met Dowling once, he was looking fine and sharp in a suit but in person he looked in excellent condition. I've met Niall Moran and Wayne McNamara, two very lean men, not a pick of fat on them. If you didn't know who they were you'd take one look at them and think these guys look fairly light, wouldn't cause much damage. Whereas in reality Wayne is a strong as an ox, Niall no slouch either, I guess my point is the way these guys look from the stands/sidelines/tv in jerseys/kit can be deceptive.

But there are some players who just aren't as naturally fit as others, they can do the same amount of work as the rest of them and they won't get the same results. And the closer a fella gets to 30 and beyond the more difficult it becomes to keep on top of it. We can all think of a few fellas who once they hit their 30's or retire from inter county duty just pile on the weight. Is Richie one of those? I'd like to think not, his pace concerns me, but that was never his strong point anyway, can't say he's lost a yard of pace when he never really had it anyway. So long as he keeps doing what he does to the high standards he has set then it doesn't really matter, he has been okay if not to his usual level in the two games so far but that would kind of sum up the team as a whole to be fair. Need to go up a gear for the Offaly game, they have denied us promotion a few times in the last 5 years, surely they've learned that lesson now and won't take them for granted for once!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

There's a real problem with switching off and allowing teams back into games - we don't handle other teams getting a run on us at all. There's a common phrase in reports on Limerick games at the moment : "Limerick were leading comfortably but Team X scored Y unanswered points to close the gap." And this isn't just at senior level either, the U21s were guilty of it last year too. Are we cynical enough to slow the game down in this scenario and address where things are going wrong? It's been a common complaint that the current management don't have what it takes to react fast enough to changes mid-game.

Midfield is hugely important in the modern game, if you don't have two box-to-box midfielders who will be firing on all cylinders you're at a big disadvantage. Reading the reports sounds like Fitzgibbon came on and things really didn't roll for him so that could have been a major factor in the drop-off in form. There's a queue of lads to try out for midfield, Seanie O'Brien and Pat Ryan would be two who haven't gotten much game time yet and would be a good fit.

I'm not convinced that Richie McCarthy is our best option at full-back any more. He's certainly not our only option, I'd be keen to see English or possibly Dan Morrissey again in the role for a game or two. Can't have a situation again like last year where we had stuck with the same full-back for the entire year and no one to replace him when he got injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

limmyhulk wrote: »
    apologies to lim4ev for abruptness on earlier post--- no need for it

No bothers

Wasn't in killarney but look its a win i suppose when you go a good bit up against opposition you're expected to beat its forgivable that you might switch off.I don't know who Kerry have at home next but twill be interesting to see how they get on looks like serious improvement down there which can only be good.

On a total diff subject lads was watching the kk game on tv yest and though its early to say but they could have unearthed a few more gems especially Lennon at 6, f##k sake where do they get them from

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭limmyhulk

with the limerick connection this was allways going to be awkward for limerick,
    would expect a different limerick next game

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I see The Examiner are running with a story stating the treasurer may step down at a meeting tonight if the full time secretarys tenure is extended without being advertised publicly.
    He is "deeply dissatisfied" with procedures surrounding the reappointment.

All limerick fitzgibbon cup final, Mary I beat lit 11 to 9, Davy had a huge number of clare lads on the LIT team. I presume was playing a sweeper or two as well from the scoreline compared to the ul/ucd game.
    From twiiter looked like a shootout between Byrnes and Hannon. Good few limerick lads to watch on both UL and Mary I, more big games they play the better the experience
    presume the final is on TG4 tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Mehapoy wrote: »

Not on the tv listings, election coverage all day on TG4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,362 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mehapoy wrote: »
    All limerick fitzgibbon cup final, Mary I beat lit 11 to 9, Davy had a huge number of clare lads on the LIT team. I presume was playing a sweeper or two as well from the scoreline compared to the ul/ucd game.
    From twiiter looked like a shootout between Byrnes and Hannon. Good few limerick lads to watch on both UL and Mary I, more big games they play the better the experience

Tactics went out the door, conditions were truly abysmal. If you saw some of the wides you'd wonder how these are some of the top players. Only saw the Mary I game though, where weather was better for a game earlier in the day.

Shíte performance and result yesterday.

Fair play to Mary I for winning the Fitzgibbon.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Shíte performance and result yesterday.

Fair play to Mary I for winning the Fitzgibbon.

Saw some highlights of Mary I against UL, would have been an epic game to see live, such a pity the election coverage couldn't be interrupted to show it, Hannon looked to be very good, scored a cracking goal, Lynch and O'Donovan had some good plays too from highlights, Lynch scored a cracking point straight off the Hurley to win it I think. Richie English looked to be in a right tussle with john McGrath, hard to judge whether he was his direct marker or not though, overall good to see a smattering of limerick lads playing, not too long ago it was rare to see more than 1 on the UL team...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭big_drive

I was at both the Mary I games last weekend. Serious win for them

Richie English was superb over the 2 days, not a player id seen play live before. Heard of him alright with the u21s last year. Looks a serious prospect

Barry o Connell at midfield? Bit strange is it?

Not really, he might do alright there. O'Donovan hasn't really been given a fair crack of the whip at midfield and the fact he was hauled off so early against Kerry along with his benching suggests TJ has made his mind up on him for 2016. The man who came on for him (Fitzgibbon) had a dreadful game and was never going to be started this weekend based on how he performed two weeks ago.

Minimal changes again though. Looks like TJ has already pretty much decided this years team. Numbers 1 to 8 have been the same for three games. I suspect James Ryan will reassume his place alongside Browne once he returns from injury. I'm concerned that Gavin O'Mahony is still at centre forward.

In fact I'll make my prediction now, TJ's starting team come championship; Quaid; Condon, McCarthy, English; DMorrissey, Byrnes, Hickey; Browne, JRyan; Dowling, O'Mahony, CLynch; Mulcahy, Hannon, Downes.

If I see that team named in June I'll cry. Only other thing I see him doing is moving O'Mahony back to 5, Hannon to 11 and one of Nash or TMorrissey into the full forward line with DMorrissey to the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Seanie o'brien yet to get a game in the league is baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

Colemania wrote: »
    Seanie o'brien yet to get a game in the league is baffling

It really is, considering his not playing Fitzgibbon cup this year. Surely he could do with a game.

What's the story with tickets for the club finals I,m assuming you can buy them at the venue that day is it possible to buy beforehand other than ticketmaster as they,re sticking me in to the bottom corner of the cusack?

• Advertisement

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Not really, he might do alright there. O'Donovan hasn't really been given a fair crack of the whip at midfield and the fact he was hauled off so early against Kerry along with his benching suggests TJ has made his mind up on him for 2016. The man who came on for him (Fitzgibbon) had a dreadful game and was never going to be started this weekend based on how he performed two weeks ago.

Minimal changes again though. Looks like TJ has already pretty much decided this years team. Numbers 1 to 8 have been the same for three games. I suspect James Ryan will reassume his place alongside Browne once he returns from injury. I'm concerned that Gavin O'Mahony is still at centre forward.

In fact I'll make my prediction now, TJ's starting team come championship; Quaid; Condon, McCarthy, English; DMorrissey, Byrnes, Hickey; Browne, JRyan; Dowling, O'Mahony, CLynch; Mulcahy, Hannon, Downes.

If I see that team named in June I'll cry. Only other thing I see him doing is moving O'Mahony back to 5, Hannon to 11 and one of Nash or TMorrissey into the full forward line with DMorrissey to the bench.

I,d cry with that team too your alternative team would be closer to my preferred team but there might be places for m cases and a Dempsey if not both surely one will be close

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement