Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

grenache wrote: »
    I wonder will there be any mention of the giant white elephant in the room on 95fm in the morning....

Anyone going to clue me in here pleaseeeeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Anyone going to clue me in here pleaseeeeeeeee

Have a look there at the "other" forum.........

Colemania wrote: »

Wouldnt look at that place at work any chance of a PM please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Wouldnt look at that place at work any chance of a PM please?

Looks like it's a joke anyway, a very bad joke..... Pm on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Would 3 weeks time have been appropriate for this?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Team v Laois; BHennessy TCondon RMcCarthy SOBrien POBrien DByrnes SHickey PRyan PBrowne GOMahony TMorrissey JFitzgibbon GMulcahy DHannon KOBrien

In terms of quarter final opponents; we're going to finish 1st or 2nd which means we play a 3rd or 4th placed 1A team. Kilkenny and Waterford are most likely to finish the top two, Cork will almost certainly finish no higher than 5th, which leaves Galway, Dublin and Tipperary as the more likely quarter final opponents.

We'd be guaranteed home advantage if our opponent is Tipperary. If Galway or Dublin it goes to a coin toss.

Disastrous start from the footballers

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

A truly disastrous first half. Corbett gifted the first goal, and they've walked through us for another two.

Limerick are devoid of ideas, and personnel. If Podge Collins cannot be accommodated as a dual player, I don't see how Hegarty can be. He is not good enough for senior inter county hurling, and he should be out there with the footballers tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Colemania wrote: »
    What's this "other" forum please? Missed all this as I was away for the past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hurlers were very good against a poor Laois team who never really turned up. First 70 minute performance from them all year- Barry Nash was class, John Fitzgibbon, Tom Morrissey, Paul Browne also superb.

Footballers were really really bad. We were joint bottom with Westmeath before that and they totally outclassed us. Looked a lot better-drilled, but they also looked stronger, smarter and more skilful. Very disappointing.

• Advertisement

Townie_P wrote: »
    What's this "other" forum please? Missed all this as I was away for the past week.

I wouldn't bother wasting time wondering what that's about, grenache was reading WAAAAAAAYY too much into an obvious (and bad) joke.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hurlers were very good against a poor Laois team who never really turned up. First 70 minute performance from them all year- Barry Nash was class, John Fitzgibbon, Tom Morrissey, Paul Browne also superb.

Footballers were really really bad. We were joint bottom with Westmeath before that and they totally outclassed us. Looked a lot better-drilled, but they also looked stronger, smarter and more skilful. Very disappointing.

Sad about the footballers, seems we are a division 3/4 yoyo team. Game was all over well before half time, two wins in final two games might not be enough, we've been relegated twice in recent memory with 6 points.

Hurlers were good but unfortunately Laois were rather poor. For us, a few instances of poorly hit passes and cross field passes to nobody, a high wide count (high teens) but some fine individual performances, probably the first 70 minute performance since the Kilkenny game in 2014. Plus, in the event of a draw next weekend we've set a good target for Clare to try and match/beat today. It's a pity Clare have the advantage of heading into the game knowing a 34+ point win is required to give them advantage ahead of next weekend, a target they are capable of hitting, particularly if Kerry play anything like they did last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother wasting time wondering what that's about, grenache was reading WAAAAAAAYY too much into an obvious (and bad) joke.
    I know what it's about, just wanted to have a look myself.

60 gone in Ennis. Clare 2-24 to 7 points. 23 ahead so another 12 needed in the last 10 mins....

Player|Starts + Subs|Scored (free's/65's)
    Browne, P|4|0-13
    Byrnes, D|4|0-11 (0-10)
    Condon, T|4|0-0
    English, R|3|0-0
    Fitzgibbon, J|2+1|1-15 (0-9)
    Hannon, D|3|3-14 (0-9)
    Hegarty, G|0+1|0-0
    Hennessy, B|1|0-0
    Hickey, S|4|0-1
    Lynch, C|3|0-2
    McCarthy, R|4|0-0
    McNamara, W|0+2|0-0
    Morrissey, D|3|0-0
    Morrissey, T|3+1|0-9
    Mulcahy, G|2+1|2-3
    Nash, B|4|2-8
    O'Brien, K|1|0-2
    O'Brien, P|1+1|0-0
    O'Brien, S|1|0-0
    O'Connell, B|1+1|0-0
    O'Donovan, D|1+2|0-1
    O'Mahony, G|4|0-5
    Quaid, N|3|0-0
    Rediy, D|3|0-4
    Ryan, J|0+1|0-0
    Ryan, M|0+2|1-0
    Ryan, P|1+2|1-0
    Tobin, S|0+3|0-2

Up to 28 players used now, Na Piarsaigh contingent technically available for selection next weekend but whether or not they would be called upon just three days after the club final is questionable, although it wouldn't surprise me to see Dowling and Downes on the bench, just in case.

Hopefully they were just being cautious by withdrawing Hannon (who has a lot of hurling played in the last 6 weeks), I'd imagine Seanie O'Brien was taken off injured at half time as he was playing alright, I doubt he was taken off for tactical reasons or poor performance. And Paudie O'Brien would have been taken off late on had we not used all subs, he was struggling with a knock late on.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Good win over laois, didn't see it so no opinion on player performances, I know they were awful but good to score so freely considering no Dowling, hannon or cian lynch playing.
    Next week is set up nicely, winner takes all with clare in their own patch, at least we'll know where we are after that and a quarter final.
    It'll be a first choice team, without Nap...
    Guessing TJs plans:
    Nicky quaid
    T condon McCarty English
    D Morrissey/gom/w mc/p obrien d Byrne's s hickey
    P Browne gom/j ryan/p ryan
    T Morrissey gom/j ryan c Lynch
    G mulcahy/j fitzgibbon d Hannon b Nash

Well done to ASR on reaching final, that team never gives up and is never beaten, hard to see see them besting st keirans in the final, they look to be quality as all kk teams at this stage are but great experience for the players and school.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Some of the games in D1 over the last few weekends had plenty of fast direct hurling into the full-forward line. It's a welcome development, but it means serious trouble for us as we are setup now. Byrnes is a different centre-back from O'Connell, whose effectiveness at U21 stemmed from how far back he sat. It shored up Richie English, who is an outstanding full-back in the first place. At senior, we are leaving acres of space in front of Richie McCarthy who will be absolutely roasted by fast ball into that space. That's grand against the D2 teams, and might even be OK against the likes of Clare who could get stuck in a tactical mire of handpass diamonds and no-man full forward lines, but my worry is playing in D2 again has shielded us from being opened up in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Some of the games in D1 over the last few weekends had plenty of fast direct hurling into the full-forward line. It's a welcome development, but it means serious trouble for us as we are setup now. Byrnes is a different centre-back from O'Connell, whose effectiveness at U21 stemmed from how far back he sat. It shored up Richie English, who is an outstanding full-back in the first place. At senior, we are leaving acres of space in front of Richie McCarthy who will be absolutely roasted by fast ball into that space. That's grand against the D2 teams, and might even be OK against the likes of Clare who could get stuck in a tactical mire of handpass diamonds and no-man full forward lines, but my worry is playing in D2 again has shielded us from being opened up in the spring.

Totally agree on the difference between O'Connell and Byrnes and I think we really missed a trick not giving O'Connell more game time this league, even if it didn't work out. O'Connell's style is more suited to the modern game especially if he has dominant wing backs, like Byrnes, alongside him. I really thought the 21s set up should be the template for our seniors this year. We are also blessed with a player like Cian Lynch who is suited to roving out the field which should allow our mids a bit more rope to cover back in front of a deep sitting centre back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is the capacity in ennis limited at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 goldfinger4296

bigpink wrote: »
    Is the capacity in ennis limited at the moment?

The new stand will be open so capacity will be around 20,000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Oh thanks will tell my dad that
    Didnt even know the work was done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Anybody know if Na Piarsaigh are running buses to the final tomorrow.?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

washman3 wrote: »
    Anybody know if Na Piarsaigh are running buses to the final tomorrow.?

I know there's 2 trains going but think they're full loads of options on public buses i'd guess.

Really hope nap can finish the job off

Bumper times for us gaa heads can't wait for tomorrow and sun rumours abound the nap players will make themselves available for sun i'm not so sure they will but taking that they're not there this is the team i'd like to see line out.

Quaid
    Condon
    R mac
    R english
    Gom[waste of time experimenting with him in forwards he's a back for me]
    S Hickey,W mac
    Byrnes[i'd prefer him at hb]
    P browne
    Jim bob,pat ryan,dod
    J fitz
    T morrissey
    C lynch
    G mul
    D Hannon
    B Nash

I know its unlikely that team will be picked but its the one i want to see if not at the start at some stage during the match hard call at 10 but think Fitz poses a bigger threat than Reidy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

bigpink wrote: »
    Oh thanks will tell my dad that
    Didnt even know the work was done

i would'nt get too excited as far as comfort is concerned , the new stand is basically a new roof on the seated stand with new plastic seats :rolleyes: .....

capacity back to 2000 thanks to new exits but we will all be squashed like sardines come sunday in the terrace at the far side

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Fair play to the u21 footballers tonight against Kerry, Gave it their all and a 3 point defeat in Tralee is nothing to be ashamed of, in spite of an awful record at minor level they've acquitted themselves well the last 2 years at u21...maybe there is some hope after all...
    Hoping nap do the business 2moro, never like a Limerick team being favourites in an ai in croke park but if they all play up to potential they should have enough for cushendall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

My heart goes out to the under 21 footballers who were oh so close to a famous victory against Kerry tonight.

I had a suspicion it was gonna be tight. Limerick recently played cork and kildare and were competitive with a good few missing.

You couldn’t begin to imagine it but with 10 minutes to go we had our chances and had 3 to 4 scoring efforts but we just couldn’t take one.

A huge performance and this in the backdrop of 3 terrible years at minor from 2012 to 2014. Limerick must be close to the most improved team in the country at this grade.

Heard from a couple of sources that the management of the team was top class and the players responded in a big way. What a shame the way the draw worked out for them.

Sickening to be so close but come up short. Was the same at Junior against Cork in 2014 and 2015.Hopefully the players will be given a chance to keep coming through.

2 of the players Gordon Browne and Kieran Daly are involved with Na Piarsaigh seniors. Best of luck to Na Piarsaigh tomorrow. Would be great for them to reach the holy grail having been a big factor in the success of Limerick teams in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

lim4ev wrote: »
    I know there's 2 trains going but think they're full loads of options on public buses i'd guess.

Really hope nap can finish the job off

Bumper times for us gaa heads can't wait for tomorrow and sun rumours abound the nap players will make themselves available for sun i'm not so sure they will but taking that they're not there this is the team i'd like to see line out.

Quaid
    Condon
    R mac
    R english
    Gom[waste of time experimenting with him in forwards he's a back for me]
    S Hickey,W mac
    Byrnes[i'd prefer him at hb]
    P browne
    Jim bob,pat ryan,dod
    J fitz
    T morrissey
    C lynch
    G mul
    D Hannon
    B Nash

I know its unlikely that team will be picked but its the one i want to see if not at the start at some stage during the match hard call at 10 but think Fitz poses a bigger threat than Reidy

Got sorted for a train trip. Thanks. Should be a good day out. A double of Na Piarsaigh and Castlebar would be great to see.
    Fitz or Reidy..?? not much difference really, kinda finally lost faith in Fitz after Killarney. Forget about his 1-14 last week, Laois were so poor it was unbelievable. Ennis will be an entirely different kettle of fish, nowhere to hide. Hope i'm proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

washman3 wrote: »
    Got sorted for a train trip. Thanks. Should be a good day out. A double of Na Piarsaigh and Castlebar would be great to see.
    Fitz or Reidy..?? not much difference really, kinda finally lost faith in Fitz after Killarney. Forget about his 1-14 last week, Laois were so poor it was unbelievable. Ennis will be an entirely different kettle of fish, nowhere to hide. Hope i'm proved wrong.

I heard he was particularly poor alright v Kerry I don,t like criticising players who put so much into it but do feel fitz is a better option I,m not even thinking of what he scored last week tbh.

What a stunning St Patrick's day morning will be heading off soon couldn't get a better day for it really hope they finish the job and get one monkey off Limerick hurlings back.

Best of luck na piarsaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭limmyhulk

best of luck to NaP

C'mon Na Piarsiagh

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Liam Neeson has pledged his support for the glens men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c829jlBkL6c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement