Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

billyhead wrote: »
    Whats the crack now with the draw. Is the next round an open draw or do Limerick face the either of the winners of next weekends matches?

We face the winners of next weekend's matches.

There's a draw unless Offaly beat Cork because Offaly and Wexford can't play each other again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Fireball07 wrote: »
    We face the winners of next weekend's matches.

There's a draw unless Offaly beat Cork because Offaly and Wexford can't play each other again.

Cheers for that. I Looks like a draw so. Cant see Offaly beating Cork tbh:D. Hopefully it won't be Limerick against Dublin again. My loyaltys would be split otherwise. I would have to be a neutral once more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Can't see what LK gained today by hammering Antrim. Very poor form, they should have eased up. I'm disappointed. And to make it worse, they'll probably lose the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

8-26 :eek: Thats surely a record for Limerick in the Championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

8-26 :eek: Thats surely a record for Limerick in the Championship?

Supposedly the highest they've ever scored in SHC.
    And 5th joint highest ever SHC score with Corks 10-20 against Laois last year :p (random piece of info for ya..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Great win by limerick, lets hope they can keep building on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Well done yesterday lads, can only build confidence (very woorrying for antrim)Looking forward to july 14th whomever we play, will give us a real idea where we stand.

Dont think our backs are up to it which is ironic given that its always been our forwards who've struggled previously.

Of the backs only Gavin and condon look good enough, Dodgy is only filling in and wayne mac aand richie are there to be taken apart from what i see.

Only 6 wides yesterday, similar against tipp i can never remember such accuracy from limerick forwards.

Well when Tipp ripped us apart a few seasons ago I thought there was no need for that, and here we are doing the same thing to a dreadful team. Disappointed.

Well done yesterday lads, can only build confidence (very woorrying for antrim)Looking forward to july 14th whomever we play, will give us a real idea where we stand.

Dont think our backs are up to it which is ironic given that its always been our forwards who've struggled previously.

Of the backs only Gavin and condon look good enough, Dodgy is only filling in and wayne mac aand richie are there to be taken apart from what i see.

Only 6 wides yesterday, similar against tipp i can never remember such accuracy from limerick forwards.

Really??? I thought the backs were brilliant yesterday.

The full-back line has been very very solid. Antrim went for goal a lot, but never really looked like scoring, bar the one lapse for the goal. Even the penalty was a bit suspect imo. Richie McCarthy has been extremely solid, and Walsh played better than Condon.

I'd probably prefer Hickey or Ryan to Wayne Mac but at least he can win possession.

Forwards will have a harder time against a better team but at least they're showing form and Downes still has to come back.

Hopefully Breen is fit the next day, his leg was in a cast at the end of the game. We need him in the half-forward line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

liammur wrote: »
    Can't see what LK gained today by hammering Antrim. Very poor form, they should have eased up. I'm disappointed. And to make it worse, they'll probably lose the next day.
    Why ease up?Antrim were shocking in defence ,the game was over in ten minutes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

yomtea98 wrote: »

Don't mind him. Easing up on a team is more disrespectful than going for the kill. It was up to Antrim (and Laois) to step up to the plate and try and put a bit of respectability on the scoreline. They should have to earn that and not have it handed to them on a plate. To take it easy on them would just be insulting.

Can't win though! If we won by only a couple of points there'd be plenty of complaining, and when we hammer teams there are still some people moaning about it, it's the height of muppetry so it is!!

yomtea98 wrote: »

I agree the game was over after 10 mins, but maybe we should have taken points instead of goals at that stage.

I remember Cork last year, humiliated laois, and then lost the next match. Same will happen to us.

I agree the game was over after 10 mins, but maybe we should have taken points instead of goals at that stage.

I remember Cork last year, humiliated laois, and then lost the next match. Same will happen to us.

If we lose, it won't be because we hammered Antrim.

If we lose, it won't be because we hammered Antrim.

Sometimes you are better off not to go all guns blazing against weak opposition. Maybe hold a little back.

Sometimes you are better off not to go all guns blazing against weak opposition. Maybe hold a little back.

How do they know they didn't?

It's not like their attacking play was particularly brilliant in the first half, just the Antrim defence was awful. If you get the ball, you turn around and you're in on goal, you might as well take a shot.

How do they know they didn't?

It's not like their attacking play was particularly brilliant in the first half, just the Antrim defence was awful. If you get the ball, you turn around and you're in on goal, you might as well take a shot.

I'd say we've used up all our goals for the rest of the championship, hope I'm wrong, only time will tell.

I'd say we've used up all our goals for the rest of the championship, hope I'm wrong, only time will tell.

I find that very unlikely. Mulcahy has the beating of most corner-backs in the game, he is electric.

And between Downes, Hannon and Dowling...one of them is bound to score a goal with Tobin having a good eye for goal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭chatjunkie

I find that very unlikely. Mulcahy has the beating of most corner-backs in the game, he is electric.

And between Downes, Hannon and Dowling...one of them is bound to score a goal with Tobin having a good eye for goal too.

Any update on the injury situation for Saturday week?

chatjunkie wrote: »

No, sorry, I've heard nothing as of yet.

I'd guess Hannon and Hickey will be back, no idea about Downes, Browne or Breen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

lol didnt realise they were giving out quotas now?? Guess its good news for the rest of us, KK wont score another one untill 2020 or thereabouts ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

chatjunkie wrote: »

It said in the Leader today that Browne will be out for another 3 week, Allis is ruled out and Breen should be fit for the next game. Hannon and Hickey will be grand too.

So who do you think should take Browne's place in midfield? Hickey centreback, DO'G into midfield maybe? We'll have to accommodate Hannon too but he'll just go straight in for Geary I'd say.

Colemania wrote: »
    It said in the Leader today that Browne will be out for another 3 week, Allis is ruled out and Breen should be fit for the next game. Hannon and Hickey will be grand too.

So who do you think should take Browne's place in midfield? Hickey centreback, DO'G into midfield maybe? We'll have to accommodate Hannon too but he'll just go straight in for Geary I'd say.

I'd have Hickey for Wayne Mac and Paudie O'Brien in for Browne.

EDIT: How about Downes?? I'd bring him in for Moran too. Probably unlikely after his 5 goals but Downes is just a better player than Moran, plain and simple.

So, 2 big games on this weekend... it's a pity that I won't be able to go to both and as much as I love football, I think the hurlers are definitely going to win out. It's not that I prefer one sport over the other really, but I do think that hurling is probably better to watch and this match against Clare has potential to be a cracker.

I definitely think we can do it, we have the players for sure, we know we have the beating of Clare but we can't afford to fall away like we did in the league final. They're an extremely fit side with some classy players but I honestly think our players are more talented.

Graham Mulcahy must be one of the most in-form forwards in the country, Dowling mightn't be at his highest level but he still scored 4-15 or something like that in the last 2 games and Hannon was class against Antrim.

Clare have a strong defence though, and we've relied on getting goals to kill the last couple of games and we may find it harder this weekend. Luckily, our defence is also fairly strong (fingers crossed).

As for the footballers....not very hopeful tbh. We're without Galvin, Lavin, Lee...our midfield is out-of-sorts, our defence has been ripped apart time and time again and despite Ian Ryan having his best ever season, he can't carry the team on his own. Longford are a very good side, I really like watching them play, and have some top class forwards backed by a very solid defence. If everything clicks, we could win but I don't see it happening, sadly. Home advantage will probably swing it their way....I predict Longford by about 2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

As was reminded to me today, we played without Hickey, Hannon, Breen and Tobin last time we played Clare so with all these players probably starting on Saturday, we have a great chance. I don't rate Browne at all so I think it may be a blessing that he won't be fit to play. Maybe DO'G will be moved to midfield with Hickey coming in centreback or even Geary pushed centreback. Who knows?

We owe Clare a nice beating and I hope we can give it to them this Saturday and shut Davy Fitz up once and for all!

Dont see the why limerick are confident, at this stage we have a very inexperienced full back with a midfielder at centre back.

Geary is waaay too slow to employ at centre back. Plus wayne mac just makes me nervous, have heard good things about paudie O'Brien but don't think he'll get the nod.

Hickey is unproven at centre back also, basically we still have a major selection issue at 5,6 imo.

Clare coming off the back of a good win and have closed out a tight match, something we've failed to do this year.

Hoping for a win but not confident.

Colemania wrote: »
    As was reminded to me today, we played without Hickey, Hannon, Breen and Tobin last time we played Clare so with all these players probably starting on Saturday, we have a great chance. I don't rate Browne at all so I think it may be a blessing that he won't be fit to play. Maybe DO'G will be moved to midfield with Hickey coming in centreback or even Geary pushed centreback. Who knows?

We owe Clare a nice beating and I hope we can give it to them this Saturday and shut Davy Fitz up once and for all!

I think Downes is a loss...but Hannon and Breen will have a huge influence on things.

I do rate Browne, good work rate, but I don't think we'll miss him much, we have backup. I don't think DOG should be moved, he's been solid at centre-back and Hickey is better on the wing or in midfield anyway. I think Hickey should replace Wayne Mac and Paudie O'Brien should come in for Browne in midfield. Otherwise Hickey in at midfield, and Tomas Ryan on the wing. Wayne Mac's distribution is poor.
    Dont see the why limerick are confident, at this stage we have a very inexperienced full back with a midfielder at centre back.

Geary is waaay too slow to employ at centre back. Plus wayne mac just makes me nervous, have heard good things about paudie O'Brien but don't think he'll get the nod.

Hickey is unproven at centre back also, basically we still have a major selection issue at 5,6 imo.

Clare coming off the back of a good win and have closed out a tight match, something we've failed to do this year.

Hoping for a win but not confident.

Confident because we know we can beat Clare? I'm not overly confident, it's going to be a tight match either way and it'd be no surprise if Clare won but I think we can definitely target a victory here.

Yeah but Richie Mac has been the best full-back in the county for years, and he's proved his doubters wrong in the Championship so far. You only get experience by playing matches. Geary shouldn't be playing, great servant to Limerick, but his time has come. DOG should stay at centre-back.

This is one where John Allen has to have learned from his mistakes, if he makes the same mistakes as he did against Clare and Tipp, we'll lose. If he has learned, and our players are up for it, we can win.

Agree with all that, lets wait to see a team sheet.

lol didnt realise they were giving out quotas now?? Guess its good news for the rest of us, KK wont score another one untill 2020 or thereabouts ;)

Well they certainly didn't score enough V Galway anyway :)

I'd expect LK to beat a limited clare team. Cork to beat a very limited WX team. Then, we could beat waterford if we drew them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

If we go out and play anywhere near our potential, we will win. I believe our squad to be superior to Clare's. But there's not much in it.

I would not touch Dodge, leave him at CB, he's been doing grand there. He was solid against Tipp and has shown himself to be reliable in this position throughout the league. No point in fixing something that isn't broke. Sensible thing to do would be to play Hickey at midfield, a straight swap with Browne. Tinkering with the side and moving players around is going to upset the equilibrium of the team, and up to now it's been doing fine. With a bit more experience and belief, we would have beaten Tipp. We did more than what was asked of us against Laois and Antrim. I would like to think having the extra week's rest will benefit us when it comes to the final 15-20 minutes on Saturday. Although as we've seen all this season, Clare are a super fit team and it really showed in the 1B League Final at GG, and last Saturday again.

Goals win games and i'm hoping that Limerick will outscore our neighbours in this department to emerge victorious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭chatjunkie

grenache wrote: »
    If we go out and play anywhere near our potential, we will win. I believe our squad to be superior to Clare's. But there's not much in it.

I would not touch Dodge, leave him at CB, he's been doing grand there. He was solid against Tipp and has shown himself to be reliable in this position throughout the league. No point in fixing something that isn't broke. Sensible thing to do would be to play Hickey at midfield, a straight swap with Browne. Tinkering with the side and moving players around is going to upset the equilibrium of the team, and up to now it's been doing fine. With a bit more experience and belief, we would have beaten Tipp. We did more than what was asked of us against Laois and Antrim. I would like to think having the extra week's rest will benefit us when it comes to the final 15-20 minutes on Saturday. Although as we've seen all this season, Clare are a super fit team and it really showed in the 1B League Final at GG, and last Saturday again.

Goals win games and i'm hoping that Limerick will outscore our neighbours in this department to emerge victorious.

True. I believe we should be well motivated for a good crack at Clare, and Davy too of course! Looking forward to seeing the team being named later on today!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement