Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/204722/Frustrated-Seanie-Tobin-leaves-Limerick-hurling.html
    "This decision was not easy and was not one I wanted to make but I felt it was one I had to make for various reasons that have accumulated over time,” confirmed Tobin.

He added: "I have given everything to Limerick over the last number of years and it's heartbreaking to walk away”.

“I worked closely with Joe O’Connor since September/October training at least five if not six times a week every week up until now, on my strength and conditioning and I was in the best shape of my career,” said Tobin.

“I am not retiring. I am going back training with my club on Wednesday evening and looking forward to getting going with them. I wish the players all the best for the year ahead, they deserve the utmost respect as people and as professionals and I hope to see them perform to the best of their ability in the coming year,” he said.

“I've spoken to a lot of the panel since my decision and they all understand that this is not something I would do lightly. I hope to wear the green and white with them lads again in the future.”

You don't have to read too hard between the lines here, a man who is dying to make himself available again once certain things change. I think we all know what what the main change is that he is seeking. He praises just one sole member of the management team, who just so happens to be the only member of the management team most of us were happy with.

Maybe a revolt is bubbling under the surface, if thing's go badly against Dublin it will be interesting to see how things develop.

The panel we have are a very closely knit group, Tobin said himself he has spoken to a lot of the panel. From what I know of these guys, I don't believe Tobin would have said the things he said unless his views were representative of other members of the panel. When he consulted with his teammates, had his views not been shared by those he spoke with he would have walked away silently without rocking the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Begs the question if seanie was in the shape of his life then whats the story with others on the panel, the push has started.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Begs the question if seanie was in the shape of his life then whats the story with others on the panel, the push has started.......

They are all supposedly training hard under O'Connor since October - yet a few of the team were carrying serious guts on Sunday... I know it is not professional, but why should some lads take it serious while others are only going through the motions? Time to 'gut' the team or the management ... but something has to be done. If certain players are not following instruction, drop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I consider Tobin a very good player for the likes of Kerry/Wexford.

He's no loss if we are serious about winning anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Rightwing wrote: »
    I consider Tobin a very good player for the likes of Kerry/Wexford.

He's no loss if we are serious about winning anything.
    I would agree to an extent with you. He and Graeme and other small forwards haven't been helped in this time with the style of play. He is one of the most skillful forwards Limerick have - I think he is better than Graeme - certainly one of the top forwards in the county.

But the big concern is TJs man management. I wonder is Wayne Mac frustrated looking on at Dan Morrissey, Condon, McCarthy, English, Hickey and Byrnes getting game time. Same can be said for Seanie O Brien who was a bright spot last year. Since last year David Breen, Steve Walsh, Aaron Murphy, Donal O Grady and now Seanie have all made themselves unavailable for TJ. You have to ask why that is?

In Kilkenny do you think Cody would bring 15/16 All Ireland U21 winners, he might for preseason and then drop them until the following year and repeat the cycle for three or four years until they are 23/24/25 years of age aka. grown men. Starting 5 Under 21s in a winner take all game - would Cody do it.
    TJ should of began his rebuilding process after losing to KK but he went for promotion and failed to Waterford - then set the goal of promotion this year and failed. He's management has been a farce - the signs were there when our reigning U21 Munster Champions went to Tipp and no showed under TJ in 2013 but the powers that be pushed O'Grady's buttons and forced him resign so their man would get the job.

francozola wrote: »
    I would agree to an extent with you. He and Graeme and other small forwards haven't been helped in this time with the style of play. He is one of the most skillful forwards Limerick have - I think he is better than Graeme - certainly one of the top forwards in the county.

But the big concern is TJs man management. I wonder is Wayne Mac frustrated looking on at Dan Morrissey, Condon, McCarthy, English, Hickey and Byrnes getting game time. Same can be said for Seanie O Brien who was a bright spot last year. Since last year David Breen, Steve Walsh, Aaron Murphy, Donal O Grady and now Seanie have all made themselves unavailable for TJ. You have to ask why that is?

In Kilkenny do you think Cody would bring 15/16 All Ireland U21 winners, he might for preseason and then drop them until the following year and repeat the cycle for three or four years until they are 23/24/25 years of age aka. grown men. Starting 5 Under 21s in a winner take all game - would Cody do it.
    TJ should of began his rebuilding process after losing to KK but he went for promotion and failed to Waterford - then set the goal of promotion this year and failed. He's management has been a farce - the signs were there when our reigning U21 Munster Champions went to Tipp and no showed under TJ in 2013 but the powers that be pushed O'Grady's buttons and forced him resign so their man would get the job.

Also there needs to more Na Piarsaigh players brought in. These players are winners, that's the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Also there needs to more Na Piarsaigh players brought in. These players are winners, that's the bottom line.

I hope that's a joke :confused:

Colemania wrote: »
    I hope that's a joke :confused:

Certainly not. We need winners, not losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Certainly not. We need winners, not losers.

The only Na Piarsigh lads who have done anything for the county when given a chance were Dowling and sometimes Downes. David Breen had the odd good game, King and Adrian Breen weren't up to it at all and if anyone else from them has gotten a game in recent years, I certainly can't remember them. Alan Dempsey deserves a chance and Peter Casey will be on the panel next year I imagine but there's nothing special out of the rest with the exception of Lynch maybe.

• Advertisement

Colemania wrote: »
    The only Na Piarsigh lads who have done anything for the county when given a chance were Dowling and sometimes Downes. David Breen had the odd good game, King and Adrian Breen weren't up to it at all and if anyone else from them has gotten a game in recent years, I certainly can't remember them. Alan Dempsey deserves a chance and Peter Casey will be on the panel next year I imagine but there's nothing special out of the rest with the exception of Lynch maybe.

I'd certainly bring Dempsey & Casey in, give King another chance too. Lynch should also be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

I'd certainly bring Dempsey & Casey in, give King another chance too. Lynch should also be involved.

Would Kilkenny bring in as many youngsters under 21 as we're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

If they were good enough, then absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Limerick minor panel from the limerick leader, playing clare in 2 weeks.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/204828/Limerick-minor-hurling-panel-finalised-ahead.html

A few there from last year, Daragh Carroll and Brian Ryan, Kyle Hayes was impressive and Magner Flynn scored a few goals in the harty...7 of the panel starters for ard scoil ris, don't know how much of a disruption their run to the final is though, how did this age group go at u16?

Shane Dowling, Kevin Downes, Cathall King, Adrian Breen, Ronan Lynch, Mike Casey, David Dempsey, Will O'Donoghue, Alan Dempsey (all Na Piarsaigh), Seanie and Kevin O'Brien, Diarmaid Byrnes, Cian Lynch (all Patrickswell), Barry Hennessy, Paudie O'Brien, Gavin O'Mahony, Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock), Declan Hannon, Wayne McNamara, John Fitzgibbon (all Adare), Richie English, Darragh O'Donovan, Pat Ryan (all Doon), Dan and Tom Morrissey (both Ahane), Paul Browne (Bruff), David Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca), Seamus Hickey (Murroe-Boher), Barry Nash (South Liberties), Nickie Quaid (Effin), Richie McCarthy (Blackrock), James Ryan (Garryspillane), David McCarthy (Glenroe), Tom Condon (Knockaderry), Barry O'Connell (Kildimo-Pallaskenry), Gearoid Hegarty (St Patricks)

What do I need to know about David McCarthy? At least Dempsey is in

Shane Dowling, Kevin Downes, Cathall King, Adrian Breen, Ronan Lynch, Mike Casey, David Dempsey, Will O'Donoghue, Alan Dempsey (all Na Piarsaigh), Seanie and Kevin O'Brien, Diarmaid Byrnes, Cian Lynch (all Patrickswell), Barry Hennessy, Paudie O'Brien, Gavin O'Mahony, Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock), Declan Hannon, Wayne McNamara, John Fitzgibbon (all Adare), Richie English, Darragh O'Donovan, Pat Ryan (all Doon), Dan and Tom Morrissey (both Ahane), Paul Browne (Bruff), David Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca), Seamus Hickey (Murroe-Boher), Barry Nash (South Liberties), Nickie Quaid (Effin), Richie McCarthy (Blackrock), James Ryan (Garryspillane), David McCarthy (Glenroe), Tom Condon (Knockaderry), Barry O'Connell (Kildimo-Pallaskenry), Gearoid Hegarty (St Patricks)

What do I need to know about David McCarthy? At least Dempsey is in

What about him? Still yet to get a run out, I doubt he'll ever play for TJ, very clear number 3, no arguments over Quaid as number 1 and TJ has a thing for Barry Hennessy. McCarthy has no chance under TJ's management I suspect.

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    What about him? Still yet to get a run out, I doubt he'll ever play for TJ, very clear number 3, no arguments over Quaid as number 1 and TJ has a thing for Barry Hennessy. McCarthy has no chance under TJ's management I suspect.

From the U21 games I've seen, I rate him. May be a bit too early to throw him in though.

No, but their underage talent isn't as good. Clare's is, and they brought in a lot of theirs a few years back, and it did them no harm at all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Goal for Limerick! Darragh Treacy, our most prominent player so far, sticks the ball in the back of the net to level the scores up in Sligo.

0-3 to 1-0.

Goal for Sligo :(

1-4 to 1-0.

• Advertisement

Lost in the end. 1 point from 6 games means we are relegated :(

Sad days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

All over the internet that Daly has the Limerick senior job

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭chatjunkie

Vanolder wrote:
    All over the internet that Daly has the Limerick senior job

Wow, that would certainly be big news. Will be dying for updates!

"All over the internet" a severe over exaggeration to say the very least, and even if it was that means nothing.

The problem is, there are guys who are devoutly pro TJ on the board, they campaigned for years for him to get that job, once they got him in on a joint basis they set about forcing O'Grady out in order to get TJ in sole charge. They got their way, and after last year they fought to keep him. They are not going to admit they were wrong mid season, even if an emergency meeting were called to debate TJ's position it is likely he would survive this. (I'm pretty sure a two thirds majority would be required to remove him, should be easy enough for those concerned to pull a few strings here and there to ensure that majority isn't reached)

As for Daly, it's not a job he wants. He doesn't want to be in a position where he will be in direct competition with Clare. After two or three years in the Dublin job he wanted to leave it but the Dublin CB kept coming back to him with crazy offers which he would have been mad not to take.

If (and that's a big if) we do see Daly get the Limerick senior job then it will be reasonably safe to assume there was some serious arm twisting done and that 'Sporting Limerick' will be pumping in a lot more money than normal....

While I stand over my belief that the above is a big if, it is also my understanding that there are individuals whose ambition it is that Daly gets the job. And that if a bad defeat is suffered on Saturday they will then try to launch a heave on TJ. But I don't see them getting two thirds majority support, their only chance would be to somehow get TJ to resign, which seems even less likely to me.

I'm sad to say it's not working out with TJ. There were positives but also warning signs in 2014, there is too much evidence mounting to suggest that not only is TJ not very good at identifying a teams weaknesses, but even when he does he doesn't seem capable of doing anything about it. But we don't even look like we can play to our strengths either now. We have talent, and that talent is enough to get us by against the Offaly's, Wexford's, Laois's and if we're lucky, maybe, just maybe we'll catch one of the top 7 out on an off day. This team has no identity, I mean what the hell kind of a team are we under TJ anyway?? The philosophy to me smacks of 'Give it a lash and hope for the best'.

I don't want him in charge, but being realistic, he ain't going anywhere until a county board meeting in August or September once the dust has settled on our early July exit.

Not unless something huge happens, which I suppose in this county is always a possibility, more drama and controversies which we're all far too accustomed to in Limerick.

It's a shame because we have a group of players who are as good as Dublin, arguably better (though I'm sure some would dismiss that notion) yet we've all pretty much taken it as a given Dublin will be prevailing this Saturday night. Sad state of affairs really.

Also, I believe it won't be too long now until Oliver Mann makes another statement condemning online comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Vanolder wrote: »
    They are all supposedly training hard under O'Connor since October - yet a few of the team were carrying serious guts on Sunday... I know it is not professional, but why should some lads take it serious while others are only going through the motions? Time to 'gut' the team or the management ... but something has to be done. If certain players are not following instruction, drop them.

tom condon and richie mccarthys physical condition is an embarrassment.
    the fact that there are no selection difficultys for them undermines everything that is being done regarding diet.
    its no wonder tobin mentioned physical condition when leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Team I,m hearing is

Quaid,English,r mac,hickey,w mac,gom,Byrnes,Browne,Ryan,r lynch,Nash,c lynch,downed,dowling ,mul

lim4ev wrote: »
    Team I,m hearing is

Quaid,English,r mac,hickey,w mac,gom,Byrnes,Browne,Ryan,r lynch,Nash,c lynch,downed,dowling ,mul

R Lynch as sweeper, with a proper half back line at last, it should tighten up our defence a lot. A puck out strategy and getting some good ball into the forwards and we can win this despite everything thats gone before.

• Advertisement

lim4ev wrote: »
    Team I,m hearing is

Hannon?

I find it very hard to believe they'd drop him, unless he's injured?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement