Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hannon?

I find it very hard to believe they'd drop him, unless he's injured?
    Same here. He has actually been relatively consistent in the league, would be very strange to drop him now.

Based on league form there should still be plenty to fight for on terms of the first XV.

Quaid should be safe and I'd forget about any notion of playing him at 6, one of the best keepers in the country, best we've had since the other two Quaid's.

Despite some of the recent criticism he has received I actually feel Tom Condon has been solid enough, looks more at home now he's no longer at wing back, the tendency towards fouling and picking up yellows has always been a part of his game, it's irritating but it's nothing new. Still our best corner back in my opinion.

I think a braver manager would bite the bullet and realise you can't play both Richie's in the team, one or the other for full back. I'd give the nod to English at the moment but not too much between them. English hasn't been bad at corner but I think it's a bit evident it's not his most natural position.

Finn is a big loss, would have been a nice option in the corner, Seán O'Brien is an option and Michael Casey should in time push for a spot.

Hickey? He has been better this year but still some way shy of his 2014 form. I wouldn't trust him in the corner at the moment and I feel he is extremely lucky to be under relatively little pressure for his place. The ability is there, the form has been patchy.

Byrnes; probably should be starting but needs to be tried on the wing as well. Being shoe horned into the 6 role as it seems TJ doesn't trust anyone else in the role. Problem is, TJ might be right...

Who could play at 6? Well unfortunately O'Connell hasn't been utilised there, I'd be wary of directly copying the under 21 team but that half back line was outstanding, Kiely has a difficult task replacing that entire line. But with the right midfield in front of them, Byrnes, O'Connell, ANOther might just work for us.

O'Mahony, an average centre back at this level, not outstanding but not terrible either. I'd nearly welcome him back to the centre back slot with open arms if it meant an end to his days as a forward. Should not be picked beyond midfield in my opinion.

McNamara; out of favour but still has a few years left. He doesn't have the complete skill set required for centre back and his hurling can be a bit slow but he is a tough strong honest hard working hurler who despite his limitations made for an effective centre half. Brings a physicality to the role that none of our other options match.

Other wing backs; some of the players already mentioned. Morrissey had a reasonable campaign, at this stage I'd say he has served his apprenticeship and it's time to throw him in for a championship game and see how he goes.

Based on what I've just wrote it looks like my starting 1-7 is leaning towards 1-Quaid, 2-Condon, 3-English, 4-S.O'Brien, 5-Byrnes, 6-O'Connell, 7-D.Morrissey.

Which in itself is not something I could stand over with massive confidence, by no means do I consider McCarthy / Hickey / O'Mahony / McNamara as finished, they would add depth and competition, and I'd certainly be open to them fighting for and even winning places back.

The one thing I just want to see an end to is this whole certain players seemingly being guaranteed of their places regardless of form. A culture of genuine competition for places is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Same here. He has actually been relatively consistent in the league, would be very strange to drop him now.

Based on league form there should still be plenty to fight for on terms of the first XV.

Quaid should be safe and I'd forget about any notion of playing him at 6, one of the best keepers in the country, best we've had since the other two Quaid's.

Despite some of the recent criticism he has received I actually feel Tom Condon has been solid enough, looks more at home now he's no longer at wing back, the tendency towards fouling and picking up yellows has always been a part of his game, it's irritating but it's nothing new. Still our best corner back in my opinion.

I think a braver manager would bite the bullet and realise you can't play both Richie's in the team, one or the other for full back. I'd give the nod to English at the moment but not too much between them. English hasn't been bad at corner but I think it's a bit evident it's not his most natural position.

Finn is a big loss, would have been a nice option in the corner, Seán O'Brien is an option and Michael Casey should in time push for a spot.

Hickey? He has been better this year but still some way shy of his 2014 form. I wouldn't trust him in the corner at the moment and I feel he is extremely lucky to be under relatively little pressure for his place. The ability is there, the form has been patchy.

Byrnes; probably should be starting but needs to be tried on the wing as well. Being shoe horned into the 6 role as it seems TJ doesn't trust anyone else in the role. Problem is, TJ might be right...

Who could play at 6? Well unfortunately O'Connell hasn't been utilised there, I'd be wary of directly copying the under 21 team but that half back line was outstanding, Kiely has a difficult task replacing that entire line. But with the right midfield in front of them, Byrnes, O'Connell, ANOther might just work for us.

O'Mahony, an average centre back at this level, not outstanding but not terrible either. I'd nearly welcome him back to the centre back slot with open arms if it meant an end to his days as a forward. Should not be picked beyond midfield in my opinion.

McNamara; out of favour but still has a few years left. He doesn't have the complete skill set required for centre back and his hurling can be a bit slow but he is a tough strong honest hard working hurler who despite his limitations made for an effective centre half. Brings a physicality to the role that none of our other options match.

Other wing backs; some of the players already mentioned. Morrissey had a reasonable campaign, at this stage I'd say he has served his apprenticeship and it's time to throw him in for a championship game and see how he goes.

Based on what I've just wrote it looks like my starting 1-7 is leaning towards 1-Quaid, 2-Condon, 3-English, 4-S.O'Brien, 5-Byrnes, 6-O'Connell, 7-D.Morrissey.

Which in itself is not something I could stand over with massive confidence, by no means do I consider McCarthy / Hickey / O'Mahony / McNamara as finished, they would add depth and competition, and I'd certainly be open to them fighting for and even winning places back.

The one thing I just want to see an end to is this whole certain players seemingly being guaranteed of their places regardless of form. A culture of genuine competition for places is required.

We really missed a trick not playing O'Connell more in the league. Byrnes is more suited to the wing I think, O'Connell maybe not as complete a hurler as Byrnes but plays the 6 role better and gives cover to the full back.

Since O'Connell isn't going to get in at all I think Gavin is the next best option for 6. At the very least he is an intelligent hurler and great striker and makes good use of the ball. Byrnes should shift to 5. I haven't seen Wayne Mc play in a good while now, always thought he was best on the wing and would have always picked him there, his physicality is a great addition. Wayne and Byrnes both play 5 though. I'd pick Ronan Lynch for left wing. He's an exceptional player and ready for this level. His skill and vision would be great for our forwards in terms of the ball they get, as opposed to Condon fonging it up into the air as far as he can.

Hickey should shift back to corner back I think. He tries to force things too much from the wing I think. I think he'll still get back to 2014 form. Big fan of McCarthy but fitness is a concern. I'd still have him ahead of English. I'd probably have English ahead of condom for the other corner. Might be too late on the season for mick casey but he will get that corner back spot and will be there for many years.

Seanie O'Brien hasn't got a look in after being off of the few players to emerge with any credit last year. I don't get it. I'd like to see him tried midfield.

Also, Dempsey better be actually given a chance on the panel this time out, he's earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hockied

Well I agree that Barry O'Connel is the best option for 6. Byrnes would have to be on the wing. O'Connel covers full back better, reads the game better, covers correctly off the ball, makes sensible passes and basically is ultimate modern 6 but has lost opportunity to settle into it as he got little try out. Unfortunately Barry , Darren O Donovan and Pat Ryan have been pushed aside and are no longer in the 26. The fact is Davy Fitz cannot believe TJ didn't use O'Connell and loved him at 6 with LIT. TJ prefers the old game and admires byrnes at 6 for blowing the ball wide from huge distance. Byrnes is outstanding but needs o'connell on that line. Richie Mccarthy is played every match but is not up to it at all. Morrisey's position is safe for obvious reasons. Hickey needs to be sidelined or moved to corner back. The selectors do not seem to have a clue. Let's hope we crawl over line in Dublin but Limerick are going nowhere under TJ and Davy Clarke.

Hockied wrote: »
    Well I agree that Barry O'Connel is the best option for 6. Byrnes would have to be on the wing. O'Connel covers full back better, reads the game better, covers correctly off the ball, makes sensible passes and basically is ultimate modern 6 but has lost opportunity to settle into it as he got little try out. Unfortunately Barry , Darren O Donovan and Pat Ryan have been pushed aside and are no longer in the 26. The fact is Davy Fitz cannot believe TJ didn't use O'Connell and loved him at 6 with LIT. TJ prefers the old game and admires byrnes at 6 for blowing the ball wide from huge distance. Byrnes is outstanding but needs o'connell on that line. Richie Mccarthy is played every match but is not up to it at all. Morrisey's position is safe for obvious reasons. Hickey needs to be sidelined or moved to corner back. The selectors do not seem to have a clue. Let's hope we crawl over line in Dublin but Limerick are going nowhere under TJ and Davy Clarke.

...Sorry, had meant to say has potential to be ultimate 6. He wasn't going to get there on sideline!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Barry isn't an option at 6 since he hasn't even been tried there. I think he should have been tried there to see if he is up to it as an intercounty centre-back. He should never have been tried at midfield with the other players we have available there. Byrnes & Hegarty got more headlines with the 21s but he did play a very important role.

Seanie O'Brien isn't a corner-back, and I wouldn't play him there. Maybe as the spare man or a specific man-marking job to utilise his pace, but I'd put him at wing-back just because of the lack of options. Midfield is probably his best position too, but again, loads of competition.

I'd drop Hickey, he's too comfortable despite poor performances.

At this stage, I'd bring Wayne back in. Maybe a step backwards but he's better than the alternatives imo.

Gavin would be my 6 to play that role that O'Connell did, but it's still not ideal, he's not strong enough defensively imo.

Personnel aren't the only problems though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Liam Aherne tweeted that there will be 3 starters from Na Piarsaigh which would tally with what people had posted earlier. We'll know in a few minutes!!

Nickie Quaid (Effin)(Captain), 2. Seamus Hickey (Murroe/Boher), 3. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock), 4. Richie English (Doon), 5. Wayne McNamara (Adare), 6. Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell), 7. Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh) 8. Gavin O Mahony (Kilmallock), 9. Paul Browne (Bruff), 10. Barry Nash (South Liberties), 11. James Ryan (Garryspillane), 12. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell), 13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock), 14. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh), 15. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)

Not to ignore the rest of your post but unfortunately this is the key point. We could pick the perfect XV and unfortunately at the moment it won't be enough. Getting the selection right is the least of our concerns.

Barry isn't an option at 6 since he hasn't even been tried there. I think he should have been tried there to see if he is up to it as an intercounty centre-back. He should never have been tried at midfield with the other players we have available there. Byrnes & Hegarty got more headlines with the 21s but he did play a very important role.

Seanie O'Brien isn't a corner-back, and I wouldn't play him there. Maybe as the spare man or a specific man-marking job to utilise his pace, but I'd put him at wing-back just because of the lack of options. Midfield is probably his best position too, but again, loads of competition.

I'd drop Hickey, he's too comfortable despite poor performances.

At this stage, I'd bring Wayne back in. Maybe a step backwards but he's better than the alternatives imo.

Gavin would be my 6 to play that role that O'Connell did, but it's still not ideal, he's not strong enough defensively imo.

Yeah I agree with you on most of that. O'Connell laid out beautiful passes to hegarty and byrnes into the hand or on their hurls on the move. That is what made Byrnes. Barry appeared to be a leader on the team and gave all the pre match talks on field. Anyway TJ and co have not used him much and now he is off panel along with others.

We will see but I wouldn't have played Gavin. New blood has to be allowed in. Having seen the team now I don't give us much hope.

I won't call that selection a disaster, not the paciest of half back lines though. O'Mahony at midfield might be a runner. Declan Hannon unlucky to be chopped; mistake in my opinion.

Ryan at 11 has had a degree of success before, might disappoint some but he'll do better there than O'Mahony, you'd imagine his work rate got him the nod ahead of Hannon who poses the greater scoring threat.

Cian Lynch is a problem for me at the moment, he has yet to learn the value of keeping it simple. Handpass to a teammate, not where you think a teammate should be. And one rather unusual complaint against a forward; don't be so selfless, take the handy point instead of always trying to find someone in a more dangerous position! I hate to criticise him, he really is a sublime stickman.

It reminds me a bit of how TJ made a load of panic changes after the Tipp game last year in a desperate bid to spark a bit of a reaction from the team after he had spent the year making as few changes as possible. As we found out last year, making a load of changes makes no difference if preparations are not up to scratch.

There's nothing terribly wrong with that selection, but with the way things have been the last 13 months I honestly have no idea what to make of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭chatjunkie

Liam Aherne tweeted about two serious injuries. Is it hannon and condon I wonder? I would have expected them to start

chatjunkie wrote: »
    Liam Aherne tweeted about two serious injuries. Is it hannon and condon I wonder? I would have expected them to start

Yes. Apparently Condon would be starting and English would be sidelined except Condon is injured. Though English is in better shape and is a better prospect .

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Hockied wrote: »

Are none of O'Connell, O'Donovan and Pat Ryan included in the subs?? Can't believe more use hasn't been made of Ryan in the league, we were a man down against Clare, needed someone with a bit of power and pace and we brought on Paudie O'Brien, who looked barely able to hit a ball on the day. Pat Ryan got a run in injury time and with his one opportunity to get on the ball ran through about 4 Clare players.

The team named, assuming that it won't line out that way (i.e., GOM at half-back rather than midfield, Ronan Lynch to sweeper, Jimbob to midfield ) looks to be addressing certain problems - I'd give us a good shot at beating Dublin despite the disarray we seem to be in. The ball into the forwards is key, - all the players across the half-back line are capable of delivering good, intelligent ball into the forwards. If we can create space either side of Downes and we deliver ball into that space he will do damage, and if we do need to go direct, ball into Downes with Mulcahy playing off him, rather than feeding Mulcahy directly, will suit Mulcahy down to the ground.

Are none of O'Connell, O'Donovan and Pat Ryan included in the subs?? Can't believe more use hasn't been made of Ryan in the league, we were a man down against Clare, needed someone with a bit of power and pace and we brought on Paudie O'Brien, who looked barely able to hit a ball on the day. Pat Ryan got a run in injury time and with his one opportunity to get on the ball ran through about 4 Clare players.

The team named, assuming that it won't line out that way (i.e., GOM at half-back rather than midfield, Ronan Lynch to sweeper, Jimbob to midfield ) looks to be addressing certain problems - I'd give us a good shot at beating Dublin despite the disarray we seem to be in. The ball into the forwards is key, - all the players across the half-back line are capable of delivering good, intelligent ball into the forwards. If we can create space either side of Downes and we deliver ball into that space he will do damage, and if we do need to go direct, ball into Downes with Mulcahy playing off him, rather than feeding Mulcahy directly, will suit Mulcahy down to the ground.

Yeah all those 3 ate off panel and won't be back . TJ never really tried them but in fairness he can't take off Morrisey with their's dad running show and Hickey is vice captain and he played with him . Those young lads killed themselves 7 days a week and are currently super fit. They have followed diet and exercise to a tee. Now does anyone think Richie Mccarthy has done that or Tom Condon ? Has Tom Morrisey increased his pace (I think he is a real skilful hurler by the way)? Why would they as their place is cast in stone regardless. Don't tell me for one second that Barry O'Connell isn't potentially a far better prospect than Gavin O Mahoney(who has had his run). Darragh O Donovan seems very solid . Ok everyone can't make panel but I think big mistakes have just been made. 9 na piarsaigh players have not been required to perform in training or in league matches to earn their place on panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

The Na P players earned their place on the panel by being county, munster and all ireland club champions. Some of them are all ireland u-21 champions as well, something that has never happened before. Indeed dempsey and casey would be worth a start tonight.

Downes needs to perform though. And your point about players getting it too easy is valid but its not the Na P players problem its management who are to blame.

I think we'll be better tonight but that wouldnt be hard to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Limerick leading by 4 with 10 to go...Kevin Downes goal

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

slegs wrote: »
    Limerick leading by 4 with 10 to go...Kevin Downes goal

Just after quaid had saved a pen too. Bit more than 10 left though I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

yea you are right 1-19 to 18 with 7 to go now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Didn't expect this, TJ lives to fight another day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

2 point win. Dublin score a goal with the last puck. Very good result especially in Parnell Park. Playing the winners of Wexford/Waterford in 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Super result. Sounds like the work rate increased a hell of a lot from previous displays. I think we will get a real indication of how the team is shaping up against Waterford (apologies to wexford people but I think the deise will have too much for ye). The NaP lads will have had another few weeks to get used to the managements ideas but if nothing else the confidence to be derived out of a tough away win in a knockout competition is a huge boost. Well done to all. COYBIG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Was there this evening. First half wasn't great but the second half was a better game. 3 minutes went up for injury time at the end but 5 or 6 minutes was played and it was in the 5th minute that Dublin for the goal. I'll give a very quick review from what I saw tonight.

Quaid - Puckouts were decent and made some great saves, including the penalty although it was poorly hit. Very safe consistent keeper
    English - I admire his aggression and passion but he needs to cut back on the fouls. Had a decent game but may get destroyed by a good championship corner forward
    McCarthy - Doesn't look in great shape but had a fine game. Played with a lot more desire today
    S O'Brien - Late change due to an injury to Hickey. Well overdue a game, although half back or midfield is his ideal position. His marker scored a few points off him in the first half but much improved in the second half. Does a lot of running and needs a place in the team, preferably instead of Wayne Mac
    Wayne Mac - Very average once again. Don't think he's up to the pace of the game and can't say he deserves a start to be honest
    Byrnes - Fantastic game once again and scored some absolutely cracking points from play. Definite starter come championship time
    R Lynch - Surprised me how quickly he settled into the team and operated as a sweeper quite well with some smart passing
    O'Mahony - Much more suited to midfield and had a decent game
    Browne - First name on the team sheet at the moment. So consistent and adding more scores to his game now. Vital part of the team
    Nash - Should start come championship time. Hit a few wides but once again knocked over a few scores
    J Ryan - Lucky not to be sent off for striking Rushe in the head. Had a decent game, nothing outstanding
    T Morrissey - Is it just me or does he consistently look like a very lazy player? Any time I've seen him live he just seems so lethargic and unwilling to put in effort. Have seen him play outstandingly well at club level but just seems to drop the work rate at county level. Got some scores but i'd be shocked if he's a championship starter
    Mulcahy - This guy is a mystery. Such a pacy and experienced player but is just not performing at the levels he should be. Poor touches throughout the game and an inability to get past players due to his light frame. In real danger of losing his place.
    Downes - Had a decent game and used the ball well enough. Good to see a return to form at county level
    Dowling - I thought he was very poor by his standards this evening. Lots of poor passes and mi**** shots but he's had a long season so we'll leave him off this time!

Subs:
    Fitzgibbon, Hegarty, Cian Lynch, Paudie O'Brien

Hegarty came on in the half forward line and looked useful. Clattered Rushe at one point to draw a big roar from the Limerick fans! Fitzgibbon was also useful once again. Paudie still not up to it and hit 1 or 2 wides. Cian Lynch not on long enough to judge really

Colemania wrote: »
    Was there this evening. First half wasn't great but the second half was a better game. 3 minutes went up for injury time at the end but 5 or 6 minutes was played and it was in the 5th minute that Dublin for the goal. I'll give a very quick review from what I saw tonight.

Quaid - Puckouts were decent and made some great saves, including the penalty although it was poorly hit. Very safe consistent keeper
    English - I admire his aggression and passion but he needs to cut back on the fouls. Had a decent game but may get destroyed by a good championship corner forward
    McCarthy - Doesn't look in great shape but had a fine game. Played with a lot more desire today
    S O'Brien - Late change due to an injury to Hickey. Well overdue a game, although half back or midfield is his ideal position. His marker scored a few points off him in the first half but much improved in the second half. Does a lot of running and needs a place in the team, preferably instead of Wayne Mac
    Wayne Mac - Very average once again. Don't think he's up to the pace of the game and can't say he deserves a start to be honest
    Byrnes - Fantastic game once again and scored some absolutely cracking points from play. Definite starter come championship time
    R Lynch - Surprised me how quickly he settled into the team and operated as a sweeper quite well with some smart passing
    Browne - First name on the team sheet at the moment. So consistent and adding more scores to his game now. Vital part of the team
    Nash - Should start come championship time. Hit a few wides but once again knocked over a few scores
    J Ryan - Lucky not to be sent off for striking Rushe in the head. Had a decent game, nothing outstanding
    T Morrissey - Is it just me or does he consistently look like a very lazy player? Any time I've seen him live he just seems so lethargic and unwilling to put in effort. Have seen him play outstandingly well at club level but just seems to drop the work rate at county level. Got some scores but i'd be shocked if he's a championship starter
    Mulcahy - This guy is a mystery. Such a pacy and experienced player but is just not performing at the levels he should be. Poor touches throughout the game and an inability to get past players due to his light frame. In real danger of losing his place.
    Downes - Had a decent game and used the ball well enough. Good to see a return to form at county level
    Dowling - I thought he was very poor by his standards this evening. Lots of poor passes and mi**** shots but he's had a long season so we'll leave him off this time!

Subs:

Hegarty came on in the half forward line and looked useful. Clattered Rushe at one point to draw a big roar from the Limerick fans! Fitzgibbon was also useful once again. Paudie still not up to it and hit 1 or 2 wides. Cian Lynch not on long enough to judge really

Cheers, gives a nice rounded picture of the performances. I quiet like fitzgibbon whenever we've seen him. I've heard strong differing opinions though and end up doubting my own opinion. I didn't expect us to win but delighted.

Colemania wrote: »

Subs:

Cheers, gives a nice rounded picture of the performances. I quiet like fitzgibbon whenever we've seen him. I've heard strong differing opinions though and end up doubting my own opinion. I didn't expect us to win but delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

As I said before, failure to beat Dublin always sends off massive warning signals.

However, I remain unconvinced, even though I would see LK v Waterford as a 60-40 game in our favour.

I'm always happy to be proven wrong, had to miss this game unfortunately but what I've read is encouraging. Still an awful lot of work to be done but this is a good win. Can't overlook just how flakey a team Dublin are, but it's nice to get one back on them after last year.

The group of players we have are not an issue as far as I am concerned, they are a fine bunch of players who have the potential to be better than all bar Kilkenny with the right man in charge. A group of players can only really be as good as a management team enables them to be. Even though I don't feel TJ is the man I don't feel sacking him in between league and championship would be wise (unless the players demanded it) so at least this win puts to bed that possibility. Not gaining promotion means the league hasn't been a success but at least it hasn't been a complete disaster now.

TJ can now prepare for the championship with a lot more breathing space, hopefully they can continue to confound the ever growing list of critics. Even if I'm still very skeptical I would love nothing more than for TJ to ram that skepticism firmly back down all our throats.

Well done to players and management today and best of luck to them in their preparations in two weeks time. An important win as well as we have a longer wait than all others (bar Kilkenny?) for our first championship game so that wait time is now shortened by two (and possibly more..) weeks.

Interesting that we went with a conventional sweeper instead of the roaming loose corner back 'sweeper' we used v Dublin last year.

One concern is in reading Richie McCarthy gave away the penalty, I'll reserve judgement until I see it on tv, but some of the last resort stuff in the full back line is concerning and a little too regular for comfort. Between 2012 and 2014 our full back line seemed more disciplined and cohesive, we're more vulnerable back there the last two years, and given the oft porous nature of our half back line (despite having tried many combinations of players there) the extra man between the full and half back lines is a necessary evil at times for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Interesting that we went with a conventional sweeper instead of the roaming loose corner back 'sweeper' we used v Dublin last year.

One concern is in reading Richie McCarthy gave away the penalty, I'll reserve judgement until I see it on tv, but some of the last resort stuff in the full back line is concerning and a little too regular for comfort. Between 2012 and 2014 our full back line seemed more disciplined and cohesive, we're more vulnerable back there the last two years, and given the oft porous nature of our half back line (despite having tried many combinations of players there) the extra man between the full and half back lines is a necessary evil at times for us.

I think as we all feel we're under pressure in the full back line we scrutinise every mistake that one of them make like you I haven't seen it but sometimes the full back has to pull down or give away a penalty and it doesn't necessarily mean they were bad even the great jj did it I,m sure. Having said that I do feel we're under pressure there and in the challenge matches after the league or even at some Stage during the semi final if things weren't going our way I think we could try out a m casey r English s hickey. Great win last night fair play to all involved some unforeseen options have came up especially the Hegarty to 11 one which sounds like it worked

TJ not happy with "vultures" circling Limerick hurling, had a swipe at perceived hidden agendas and some of the things being said in the county. Safe to assume that refers to some of the stuff said here and certainly on one other particular site...

And I get that, he has every right to be annoyed at that stuff, as does the panel. But it has to be recognised that it goes both ways, you can't take the praise and at the same time ignore the criticism. If they do well they get plenty of credit, the problem is ever since the 2014 semi final we more often than not have not performed well. We can only call it as we see it, the Dublin game yesterday was the first competitive game I've missed since TJ took sole charge. I, like many others, follow these guys up and down the country, I get behind them at the games, that doesn't make me better or worse than any other fan but I do think it makes me entitled to my opinion. My only agenda is that Limerick play to their best, regardless of who is in charge.

The Clare game was frustrating, and they (management/panel) have to expect that fans will in turn be frustrated. They don't have to pay any heed to those frustrations but they should understand that fans will be frustrated. It has to be recognised though, it was always going to be a big ask to go to Cusack Park and beat Clare on the last day to win promotion. Just because a few teams have won there in recent seasons does not in any take away from the fact that being Clare in Ennis is a tough task.

There have been signs that things are a bit better than last year, but many believe it's not enough (some, incorrectly in my view, feel no improvement has been made at all this year.) I just worry that we've only taken a step or two forward when we need to take 4 or 5 steps.

One thing I liked about the interview I heard; TJ seemed far more irritated by what was said about the backroom team and the players than he was about anything said about him. Many things said here and elsewhere have cut far too close to the bone. It's notable that some posters only post after defeats. Certain people are silent after each win, not long after a defeat you see them posting worthless 'I told you so' style nonsense.

And you won't see these people put their hand up and give credit when it's due. At the end of the day, whether you like TJ or not, as long as he's in charge we should get behind him. It IS possible to simultaneously want a new manager while at the same time support the current one. Certain people appear to want to be proven right if they feel a guy isn't up to it. Even if you don't believe in TJ you should still hope for him to prove you wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Galway down to 1B, wouldn't fancy us getting promoted next year either

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement