Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Galway down to 1B, wouldn't fancy us getting promoted next year either

Sure we have had everyone in 1B now bar Tipp And Kilkenny so we can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Galway down to 1B, wouldn't fancy us getting promoted next year either

I think that this will be time that ye finally come up. Galway are a very average side. There's no fight in them when the chips are down either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The gap between 1A and 1B is nowhere near as great as many make out. The league is simply fatally flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

then why cant we climb out of it, into the promised land

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I wasn't there last night, but it sounds like it was a much-improved performance. But is it simply papering over the cracks? Dublin are no great shakes, we all knew this.

Putting a good distributor as a sweeper, putting Byrnes & Gavin back to wing-back... stuff like that is sensible things which should have happened before.

But are we really going in the right direction or are we going to stagnate at this kind of level again, and never really kick on to the level of the teams above us? The match against Waterford should be interesting, they are a good team, going in the right direction, today's result is probably a bit of a disappointment for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Rightwing wrote: »
    The gap between 1A and 1B is nowhere near as great as many make out. The league is simply fatally flawed.

Agree, having quarter finals is a big plus for the 1B teams which helps to level things out. Clare, Limk and even Wexford are showing no ill effects of coming through 1B

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Just watched the highlights now. Byrnes points were massive ! Looked a great team display.

Rushe trying to get Jimbob sent off was disgraceful though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

grimbergen wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights now. Byrnes points were massive ! Looked a great team display.

byrnes is a super hurler , but he was one of a number of players that did not preform against us a few weeks ago ,i think though to be fair there is still a bit too much being asked of limerick at the moment giving how young the age profile in the squad is , consistency will come in time

by all accounts rushe was having a decent game up to that point ,i saw a player get booked last week for diving in a clare football match, in my opinion it dose'nt happen enough

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

If the selection of the forwards is balanced I believe we can be much more of a handful.
    At this stage I feel that we can only afford to have 2 out of Kevin Downes, Deccie Hannon, Shane Dowling and Graeme Mulcahy on the pitch at any given time, none of the 4 are consistent in winning primary ball and the pressure they exert on the player in possession is patchy but they all can be the cutting edge if given the ball.
    I'd have Jimbob, Cian Lynch and Barry Nash as automatic starters David Breen is a loss but I'd like to see either David Dempsey or Gearoid Hegarty after yesterday picked from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

grimbergen wrote: »

To be fair to Rushe, once he hit the ground he straight back up and didn't make a meal out of it. Jimbob didn't actually strike him with his hurley, both threw swinging arms/elbows at each other.
    What seemed to take Rushe out of the game was the massive shoulder he took from Hegarty. Probably underestimated him, not realising Hego has played senior football with Limerick for 2 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Good win, hopefully we can keep progressing, one swallow doesn't make a summer etc

Waterford dont score enough to ever really put you away, a goal or two will give us a good chance of beating them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

We don't score many goals but either do the opposition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Fell over the line against Dublin's second team. We are going no where and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Good win, hopefully we can keep progressing, one swallow doesn't make a summer etc

Waterford dont score enough to ever really put you away, a goal or two will give us a good chance of beating them

Thats true but waterford don't concede many goals either,lads is it just me or is hurling awful to watch i was looking forward to that clare tipp game yesterday but fell asleep midway through the second half sweepers and third midfielders 2 man full forward line 40 man full back lines etc etc god its awful to be watching i long for the days of a long puck out from one defence into the opposing's team defence with a roar from the crowd and then to see the ball being contested between backs and forwards,what do we have these days a ball being cleared long[which is rare enough] up to an area where we have probably 4-5 defenders and maybe 2 forwards.Is it too much these days for a team to set up 15 v 15 or am i being naive i feel that any team that do this are trying to hide deficiencies elsewhere don't get me wrong i know there has to be tactics but feel the games as a spectacle have gone way down.

I think both teams will fancy their chances in the semi good draw for us but they'll be thinking the same, big improvement last sat night but i'm still not convinced, Byrnes to half back is a big plus and with a few of the players to come back we'll be ok i hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

grimbergen wrote:

Agree with that
    And Galvin's dive in Ennis was worse. Surprised he wasn't savaged for it on this forum.
    It seems to be creeping into our game and needs to be stamped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

lim4ev wrote:
    lads is it just me or is hurling awful to watch i was looking forward to that clare tipp game yesterday but fell asleep midway through the second half sweepers and third midfielders 2 man full forward line 40 man full back lines etc etc god its awful to be watching i long for the days of a long puck out from one defence into the opposing's team defence with a roar from the crowd and then to see the ball being contested between backs and forwards,what do we have these days a ball being cleared long[which is rare enough] up to an area where we have probably 4-5 defenders and maybe 2 forwards.Is it too much these days for a team to set up 15 v 15 or am i being naive i feel that any team that do this are trying to hide deficiencies elsewhere don't get me wrong i know there has to be tactics but feel the games as a spectacle have gone way down.

I agree 1000%. Tipp/Clare yesterday was a rubbish spectacle. Cork/Waterford a few weeks back was puke hurling. In fact any day Waterford play it's rubbish to watch. God forbid they win something big playing that system.
    And you're right, what makes hurling a great spectacle is 50/50 tussles, long fast deliveries etc and not the excuse for hurling that's being served up by more and more counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

The negative impact of professional managers and the win at all costs mentality of some coaches, ex players, supporters is going to have a big negative effect on the game.

Diving needs to a red card, no place in the game, im not a big fan lavishing praise on a fella for earning a free either

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

lim4ev wrote: »
    Thats true but waterford don't concede many goals either,lads is it just me or is hurling awful to watch i was looking forward to that clare tipp game yesterday but fell asleep midway through the second half sweepers and third midfielders 2 man full forward line 40 man full back lines etc etc god its awful to be watching i long for the days of a long puck out from one defence into the opposing's team defence with a roar from the crowd and then to see the ball being contested between backs and forwards,what do we have these days a ball being cleared long[which is rare enough] up to an area where we have probably 4-5 defenders and maybe 2 forwards.Is it too much these days for a team to set up 15 v 15 or am i being naive i feel that any team that do this are trying to hide deficiencies elsewhere don't get me wrong i know there has to be tactics but feel the games as a spectacle have gone way down.
    Agree with you on this - I also think its crazy that the sliothar is able to travel the distance it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

lim4ev wrote: »

I think both teams will fancy their chances in the semi good draw for us but they'll be thinking the same, big improvement last sat night but i'm still not convinced, Byrnes to half back is a big plus and with a few of the players to come back we'll be ok i hope.

Can't agree more.as a cat visiting your forum I wouldn't watch kk if they played a sweeper. Yes half forwards drop back .but never have they started with a man between the full back and half back lines.puke hurling to quote Spillane. Looks like your game with waterford could be like watching man utd at old Trafford these days.no goals and puts you to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Can't agree more.as a cat visiting your forum I wouldn't watch kk if they played a sweeper. Yes half forwards drop back .but never have they started with a man between the full back and half back lines.puke hurling to quote Spillane. Looks like your game with waterford could be like watching man utd at old Trafford these days.no goals and puts you to sleep.

I don,t want to be paying homage to the cats but to be fair they play the game as it should be and to be fair I think Limerick,s game is similar I just feel the main counties that play this system have superb hurlers I,d say let them off and play as they can,as bad as Clare v limk is can you imagine Clare v Waterford? Hope I,m wrong!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Minor team for the game against Clare on Wednesday evening in the Gaelic Grounds.

1. Mark O'Kelly (Croom)
    2. Brian Nash (South Liberties)
    3. Willie O'Meara (Askeaton)
    4. Brian Timmons (Murroe/Boher)
    5. Josh Adams (Ballybrown)
    6. Ciaran O'Connor (Kilmallock)
    7. Finn Hourigan (Murroe/Boher)
    8. Conor Nicholas (Monaleen)
    9. Cal McCarthy (Kilmallock)
    10. Kyle Hayes (Kildimo/Pallaskenry) (Captain)
    11. Darragh Carroll (Newport)
    12. Brian Ryan (South Liberties)
    13. Conor Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)
    14. Anthony Barrett (Kilmallock)
    15. Mark O'Dwyer (Monaleen)

16. Jamie Power (Monaleen)
    17. Conor Flahive (Mungret)
    18. Paul O’Riordan (Bruff)
    19. Cian Magnier Flynn (Killeedy)
    20. Dan Minihan (Ahane)
    21. Conor O'Grady (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    22. Michael O'Grady (Knockainey)
    23. Josh Ryan (Doon)
    24. David Woulfe (Kilmallock)

On first glance, it would look like some of those players would be better suited to other positions. Some fine players there, no doubt but are they set up the right way? There were definite issues with that last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Minor team for the game against Clare on Wednesday evening in the Gaelic Grounds.

1. Mark O'Kelly (Croom)
    2. Brian Nash (South Liberties)
    3. Willie O'Meara (Askeaton)
    4. Brian Timmons (Murroe/Boher)
    5. Josh Adams (Ballybrown)
    6. Ciaran O'Connor (Kilmallock)
    7. Finn Hourigan (Murroe/Boher)
    8. Conor Nicholas (Monaleen)
    9. Cal McCarthy (Kilmallock)
    10. Kyle Hayes (Kildimo/Pallaskenry) (Captain)
    11. Darragh Carroll (Newport)
    12. Brian Ryan (South Liberties)
    13. Conor Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)
    14. Anthony Barrett (Kilmallock)
    15. Mark O'Dwyer (Monaleen)

16. Jamie Power (Monaleen)
    17. Conor Flahive (Mungret)
    18. Paul O’Riordan (Bruff)
    19. Cian Magnier Flynn (Killeedy)
    20. Dan Minihan (Ahane)
    21. Conor O'Grady (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    22. Michael O'Grady (Knockainey)
    23. Josh Ryan (Doon)
    24. David Woulfe (Kilmallock)

On first glance, it would look like some of those players would be better suited to other positions. Some fine players there, no doubt but are they set up the right way? There were definite issues with that last year.

Surprised the ASR pair of Flynn and O'Brien aren't on the match day panel, thought magner Flynn would be in the ff line, centre back, midfielder and full forward all kilmallock, they must be strong at minor

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Baalbec1

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Surprised the ASR pair of Flynn and O'Brien aren't on the match day panel, thought magner Flynn would be in the ff line, centre back, midfielder and full forward all kilmallock, they must be strong at minor

John Flynn out due to injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Won 2-11 to 1-8. Wasn't at it but from following it on twitter it was a much closer game than the score line suggests. Our last two scores were the goals (including one in injury time) and up to our first goal there was never really more than a puck of a ball between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Won 2-11 to 1-8. Wasn't at it but from following it on twitter it was a much closer game than the score line suggests. Our last two scores were the goals (including one in injury time) and up to our first goal there was never really more than a puck of a ball between them.

A very disjointed game, cross wind and first day out or both teams being fairly average this year would explain that I suppose...
    looks like Cork are good, tipp will have a few from last year so those two may be the favourites, they could meet in the Munster semi so to get to a Munster final and you'd be in an ai semi final handily enough, probably be a good year for them really...will know more about relative merits when Waterford/tipp/clare play off. Still good to get a win first up, we couldn't buy a win up to 2013 for a good few years

Team to play Waterford on Sunday, one or two surprises:

1. Nickie Quaid (Effin) (Captain)
    2. Seanie O'Brien (Patrickswell)
    3. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock)
    4. Richie English (Doon)
    5. Paudie O'Brien (Kilmallock)
    6. Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell)
    7. Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh)
    8. Gavin O'Mahony (Kilmallock)
    9. Paul Browne (Bruff)
    10. Gearoid Hegarty (St Patrick’s)
    11. James Ryan (Garryspillane)
    12. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)
    13. Barry Nash (South Liberties)
    14. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    15. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

Is Dowling injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

We all know that Ronan Lynch almost certainly dropping back again, I wonder if Byrnes will start as selected or will O'Mahony take the centre with Byrnes at 7? Half back line as a unit won't be our strong point but at least we have Lynch behind and Browne-Ryan in front who provide excellent cover and defensive assistance.

Do we have the correct 5 man forward unit to unlock that fairly solid Waterford defence? Lynch despite all he can bring isn't a big score getter, Downes is our best asset up front provided we deliver smart ball to him, other than that, three good young hard working players who are very green experience wise. One of whom has never started a competitive game as a forward for the county, although yes, he did put in a respectable up there when brought on against Dublin.

The sweeper is something we need up our sleeve, I'm glad TJ has gone there but I hope he doesn't put all his eggs in that basket come hell or high water from now on. We will definitely need a plan B for Waterford, we were probably the most solid we've been in 18 months against Dublin but it was just one game. Essentially we're going in to this trying to beat Waterford at their own game, problem is they are well used to it, they know that gameplan better than we do, they won't pose a huge goal threat but they don't leak goals either, and we won't pose a big goal threat unless Downes has one of those days where a full forward catches four or five high balls in front of goal and claims a few goals and wins a few close range frees/penalties, possible but not very likely.

Dowling mustn't be fully fit as it would be madness not to start him, Hannon still not 100%. So it's a concern that our bench is probably light on attacking options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

If we can't beat Waterford we are going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Rightwing wrote: »
    If we can't beat Waterford we are going nowhere.
    Yeah... Nice observation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement