Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭limmyhulk

hear hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

16-Hennessy, 17-Condon, 18-Casey, 19-McNamara, 20-Fitzgibbon, 21-Fitzgibbon, 22-P.Ryan, 23-Mulcahy, 24-O'Donovan, 25-Dowling, 26-Hannon.

Shoite, Dan Morrissey is at 20, not two Fitzgobbon's!

What a load of balls. TJ should have kept his mouth shut after the last game, one swallow does not a summer make. He provoked the "vultures" two weekends ago with that outburst, they'll be out in force with a vengeance now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

As the man said you should do your talking on the pitch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

limmyhulk wrote: »
    hear hear

Looks like yer going nowhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Vanolder wrote: »
    Fell over the line against Dublin's second team. We are going no where and fast.

I hate saying I told you so but it was sickening listening to TJ Ryan talking about vultures and usimg a win over a sub standard Dublin as justification we were going in the right direction... That was a humiliation today and they are stacking up under his watch. Once again management stood dumb struck on the sidelines when the game was in the melting pot. A very, very short summer ahead under Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Rightwing wrote: »
    If we can't beat Waterford we are going nowhere.
    Ouch

Im sick at the prospect of no hurling this summer, you couldnt assess that mess sunday, waterford went up one gear and we were nowhere.

Im no fan of TJ but I dont want to see us lose in any circumstances, watching cian lynch on sunday was upsetting. Like the rest of ye there isnt much positive to be said so there's no point in saying anything at all. A repeat of the beating tipp gave us last year would be tough to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Im sick at the prospect of no hurling this summer, you couldnt assess that mess sunday, waterford went up one gear and we were nowhere.

Im no fan of TJ but I dont want to see us lose in any circumstances, watching cian lynch on sunday was upsetting. Like the rest of ye there isnt much positive to be said so there's no point in saying anything at all. A repeat of the beating tipp gave us last year would be tough to take.

Two years wrote off - You'd imagine it could be the end for a good few players too. It's baffling, with a year to sort things out, we are even worse than we were last year...backwards we are going and at an almighty rate.

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »
    Looks like yer going nowhere

same as you lot
    windbag spoofers

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Is that because no ball was coming his way?

Bad ball, bottled up, taking wrong options, being stuck inside at times just everything went wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

carter10 wrote: »
    Ouch

Wrong.

One must be prepared to face the facts. I accept Waterford looked good yesterday, and played better than I thought they were capable of, but remember they struggled to beat Wex, and Tipp and KK didn't need to get out of 3rd gear last year against them.

I feel Clare are much a superior team to Waterford, even though I'd prefer to see Waterford beat Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I blame that f*ckin storm in croke park for all this. The cats would have cleaned us that day if it was dry. It turned out teege was hailed as a hero for yet another heroic failure instead of the being asked why we didnt win a game that was there for the taking..... why we handed them two goals on a plate. Ah no lets give him a new contract!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Wrong.

One must be prepared to face the facts. I accept Waterford looked good yesterday, and played better than I thought they were capable of, but remember they struggled to beat Wex, and Tipp and KK didn't need to get out of 3rd gear last year against them.

I feel Clare are much a superior team to Waterford, even though I'd prefer to see Waterford beat Clare.

Waterford have lost 1 in 16 league games and won two more creditable championship games last year than Clare have won in the past two years. Will be a fierce contest in the league final and championship.

Your comment beforehand was daft. As for Limerick, going nowhere this year but Waterford and Clare being in a league final shows that underage success has credibility, and Limericks underage teams of the last 3 to 4 years have been of that standard. They will come good eventually.

same as you lot
    windbag spoofers

Really how ya manage that now? These lads have harty medals, Munster medals (intercounty and club), fitzgibbons, league medals and minor all Irelands. That's not bad for a bunch of spoofers in fairness. A little bit of respect wouldn't go astray.

We were big favourites going into that game and I didn't see one single person in the Waterford thread disrespect limerick before or after

Now I'm not saying we are solid all Ireland prospects but Jesus to say "we are going nowhere if we can't beat Waterford" is trying a bit too hard to deny what this team has achieved in the last year and a half.

O Riain wrote: »
    Really how ya manage that now? These lads have harty medals, Munster medals (intercounty and club), fitzgibbons, league medals and minor all Irelands. That's not bad for a bunch of spoofers in fairness. A little bit of respect wouldn't go astray.

We were big favourites going into that game and I didn't see one single person in the Waterford thread disrespect limerick before or after

Now I'm not saying we are solid all Ireland prospects but Jesus to say "we are going nowhere if we can't beat Waterford" is trying a bit too hard to deny what this team has achieved in the last year and a half.

fair enough i take it back limerick have me wound up - expecting loads from them,hard to see why after sundays performance,lack of fight in 2nd half depressingly obvious-waterford going well best of luck anyone but the big 3

Sorry lads but the suggestion that we're going nowhere if we can't beat Waterford was pure daft. Their record over the last 15 months speaks for itself. We've both been strong at underage in the last three years but Waterford have thus far done better than us at integrating a good wave of underage players to the senior set up.

They have a system that works, a system which unfairly draws a lot of criticism, but it's a hell of a lot better than anything we have at the moment. They're a tough team to beat and there won't be any 'average' teams beating them anytime soon. They're still learning too though, they showed us a bit too much respect in the first half, both teams were only gently feeling each other out, sticking fairly rigidly to their tactical systems. Second half, different story, they removed the shackles and cut loose a bit in the second half, and we couldn't live with them. It was easy, and they even appeared to take the foot off the gas towards the end. When we got our consolation goal, they just went straight up the other end and cancelled it out straight away.

They're in the All-Ireland contenders list, dark horses alright but they're in the race. And at the moment they're 2nd or 3rd favourites.

Looking at ourselves, our team has a worrying (and fatal) characteristic under TJ; they look completely helpless when a team hits a purple patch against them. They put up a fight, they partly stem the tide, but they are incapable of swinging the momentum back in their favour. Wexford in the third round of the league last year (14 games ago) was the last time they pulled something out of the fire, but since then, once a team gets on top of us it's always one way traffic thereafter.

Perhaps an exception in the Westmeath qualifier game but they still caused us major bother and getting out of jail against a low level McCarthy/high level Ring side is not where we should be.

Otherwise, two capitulations against Dublin in the 15' league quarter final and R2 of the qualifiers, a game in which we had a big lead but Dublin got on top in the final third of the first half and they never looked back.
    Once Offaly got on top of us early in the second half of the '15 league game they never looked back.
    We lived with Tipperary for the first quarter in the Munster SF last year but once they got on top they blew us away.
    Clare kept us at arms length last month in a crucial game we never looked like winning.
    And from the 25th minute Kerry dominated us right to the final whistle, luckily we built up a healthy lead in the first 20 because once they got on top the game was played entirely on their terms.

When the going get's tough, this team tend to crumble, once a team gets on top of us....

fair enough i take it back limerick have me wound up - expecting loads from them,hard to see why after sundays performance,lack of fight in 2nd half depressingly obvious-waterford going well best of luck anyone but the big 3

I can understand that man but things can turn around very quickly. Sometimes a loss like this invigorates a team and makes them realise they have work to do for the summer so hopefully it can turn things around for you boys.

• Advertisement

nice of you to say
    all doom and gloom now
    looks like more johnny logan ****e allover
    you never know with limerick
    hope they give tjs job to john kiely sooner rather than later
    good to see kk beatenin september could be waterford

TJ badly needed that win and failed. Waterford didn't need a win. They needed it last year.

As I said, If we can't beat Waterford in that league semi, we will have a very shprt summer. Bookmark this if you must.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

TJ badly needed that win and failed. Waterford didn't need a win. They needed it last year.

As I said, If we can't beat Waterford in that league semi, we will have a very shprt summer. Bookmark this if you must.
    Where have you been genius? We were going to have a short summer all year and we are nowhere near wayerfords level this year, we were never going to win.

Waterford are an all Ireland contender, your comment about not being able to to beat them etc was silly.

Where have you been genius? We were going to have a short summer all year and we are nowhere near wayerfords level this year, we were never going to win.

Waterford are an all Ireland contender, your comment about not being able to to beat them etc was silly.

The phrophet has descended.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

From the Indo today...

'Cathal King and Adrian Breen have removed themselves from TJ Ryan's squad; third-choice goalkeeper Dave McCarthy has also left'

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

Quintis wrote: »
    From the Indo today...

'Cathal King and Adrian Breen have removed themselves from TJ Ryan's squad; third-choice goalkeeper Dave McCarthy has also left'

Odd, wouldn't King & Breen have only just joined up with them?

trg wrote: »
    Odd, wouldn't King & Breen have only just joined up with them?

It shows not all is right within the camp, but sometimes you've to question player motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hockied

There should be trouble at this stage. Management is not up to scratch. Team wise I think the big problem is full back and half back line. Richie Mccarthy is not fit and should not be starting. No effort has been made to find or try any other full back. The half back line should have been the u21 half back line. As was. Barry o Connell at centre back. Hegarty and Byrnes on wing. Actually it pains me to read him at times but Martin kiely mentions hegarty and byrnes for half back line regularly. He is right. But for reasons I can't understand he never mentions Barry O'Connell. He showed his worth and is without doubt a better player than hegarty but kiely never considers him. Never under estimate the importance of the wing. Byrnes more suited here. O'Connell would feed them ball, protect the back line . We have missed an opportunity to break in key players for this year. No other management team would have missed this. Does anybody think richie Mccarthy should be starting at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

I thought O'Connell really flew under the radar in terms of being recognised for his contributions last year with the 21s. Ok he had 2 moments against Tipp first day out that could have proved costly. But I feel that his presence in the centre allowed Hegarty and especially Byrnes to go forward secure that he was there behind them. His distribution I felt was also top notch. I thought he might have gotten a bit more of a look in but there you go. I really hope we get a good run in to the munster semi with everyone pulling together.

• Advertisement

How many U21s can you realistically throw in though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement