Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hockied

Realbhoy wrote: »
    I thought O'Connell really flew under the radar in terms of being recognised for his contributions last year with the 21s. Ok he had 2 moments against Tipp first day out that could have proved costly. But I feel that his presence in the centre allowed Hegarty and especially Byrnes to go forward secure that he was there behind them. His distribution I felt was also top notch. I thought he might have gotten a bit more of a look in but there you go. I really hope we get a good run in to the munster semi with everyone pulling together.

I completely agree with that. He did have a few wobbly moments but he was a rock overall. And now he hadn't been developed or properly tried and is on extended panel. Big mistake in my opinion. I bet hegarty and byrnes would agree too.

Rightwing wrote: »
    How many U21s can you realistically throw in though?

Good question. Not too many. But I'm saying that I think the u21 half back line should have been included early. Even more important than cian lynch's inclusion. And I also agree that Barry O'Connell has been strangely undervalued. Is it possible that TJ actually reads martin kiely and noticed that he never valued O'Connell either? I'd love to know how many players would have him on starting team if they could. Thank god Byrnes wasn't ignored but folks we missed one as good potentially.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Richie Mac does constantly look like an accident waiting to happen, but then he also has qualities which I'm not sure any of the alternatives possess. Didn't actually see the match on Sunday but on the radio McCarthy was the only defender picked out as having played well in the second half.

Richie Mac does constantly look like an accident waiting to happen, but then he also has qualities which I'm not sure any of the alternatives possess. Didn't actually see the match on Sunday but on the radio McCarthy was the only defender picked out as having played well in the second half.

Yeah , I fully respect Richie and what he is capable of when fit. He is not fit though. Regarding Waterford match , he had Diarmuid Byrnes run ragged tearing back to support him and position himself for a pass . Richie was poor to average when at his best against Waterford. Flickers of what we all know he can do when fit. I have no idea who can replace him. But I would have a few tried out at this stage. And I'd break his arse to get him fit. In the mean time a half back line cannot devote so much time protecting the full back line. Who could fill the rule? I don't want to bring up same name again so let's hear suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I've seen BOC play well for the intermediates at full back!

• Advertisement

Yeah he was solid with Ard scoil at full back . One possibility that hasn't been tried ... Must be more?

Pat Begley was good full back. Was he cast aside too? All the energy that goes into developing players but they are cast aside and subject to politics come senior level. . At present I'd move Richie English to full at very least. Management have seen fit to exclude the other possibilities from panel and not a word is being said by supporters . We may not see them play county again .

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Hockied wrote: »
    Pat Begley was good full back. Was he cast aside too? All the energy that goes into developing players but they are cast aside and subject to politics come senior level. . At present I'd move Richie English to full at very least. Management have seen fit to exclude the other possibilities from panel and not a word is being said by supporters . We may not see them play county again .

Some players get cast aside cos sometimes some aren,t up to it regarding how many u21s we play I think the answer depends on how many non 21s are up to it.would rather start some green 21s and win nothing than playing older guys and win nothing at least with first option the youngsters would be getting experience and with time might win something. A team I'd like to see tried is quaid,casey,English,hickey,Hegarty,w mac,Byrnes,a Dempsey,Browne,dowling,Hannon,c lynch,Nash,downes,morrissey.I make that seven 21s

lim4ev wrote: »
    Some players get cast aside cos sometimes some aren,t up to it regarding how many u21s we play I think the answer depends on how many non 21s are up to it.would rather start some green 21s and win nothing than playing older guys and win nothing at least with first option the youngsters would be getting experience and with time might win something. A team I'd like to see tried is quaid,casey,English,hickey,Hegarty,w mac,Byrnes,a Dempsey,Browne,dowling,Hannon,c lynch,Nash,downes,morrissey.I make that seven 21s

Yeah nice. Might be a bit soon for casey yet and I'd wonder about Wayne mac now but would still like your thinking . Would just be cautious about doing to casey what we did to Hannons confidence by expecting too much of a young lad yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I said quite a while back we missed out big time by not giving BOC a good run during the league. He may not have made it as a championship but he would have been a huge addition if he did, now we just don't know.

I still think Richie Mc is our best option for full back, and he'll be better by summer. He was confortably the best full back in Ireland in 2013-2014. I don't think you can judge him on last year the team was so bad. Jury still out this year. English is waiting in the wings.

I think we're going to have to wait until next year when Kiely takes over to see the team properly rebuilt and see some of our players return to top form. This year we'll probably have English, Byrnes, C Lynch, Morrissey, and Nash starting of last year's 21s. Next year I expect you can add R Lynch, BOC, and the two Casey's to that.

• Advertisement

I said quite a while back we missed out big time by not giving BOC a good run during the league. He may not have made it as a championship but he would have been a huge addition if he did, now we just don't know.

I still think Richie Mc is our best option for full back, and he'll be better by summer. He was confortably the best full back in Ireland in 2013-2014. I don't think you can judge him on last year the team was so bad. Jury still out this year. English is waiting in the wings.

I think we're going to have to wait until next year when Kiely takes over to see the team properly rebuilt and see some of our players return to top form. This year we'll probably have English, Byrnes, C Lynch, Morrissey, and Nash starting of last year's 21s. Next year I expect you can add R Lynch, BOC, and the two Casey's to that.

Not so sure I,d say r lynch isn't far off being guaranteed a starting place with this current management and for me that doesn't weigh up,hope you,re right about Kiely taking over next yr though I,ve heard he wants the 21s for the next 2yrs tis all a bit of a mess at the moment and from what I've seen this yr even if they picked the best possible 15 and went back to a sensible game plan the whole set up strikes me as lacking something. I could only stomach the first 20 min of last Suns match when I watched it this week on player I thought our hurling was so slow and laboured at times hate being negative but would be surprised if we did anything this yr which for me to say this is demoralising

I hope you are right about Richie. It kills me to say snything negative about him but it's nearly summer now and he is well off where he should be.

Yeah I fully agree with you on BOC. He needed to be played for full league to come into his own. But it's madness not having him in the 26 as it is.

TJ has failed completely as a manager. I have no idea why he ever got job in the first place .. usual limerick thing.. who you know. Great players don't automatically make great managers. My understanding is that Davy Clarke is the bigger problem and TJ might do better without him but doesn't realise it himself.. Regarding Kiely , at least he seems to understand modern game. If he would take the job I think he would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I hope you are right about Richie. It kills me to say snything negative about him but it's nearly summer now and he is well off where he should be.

Yeah I fully agree with you on BOC. He needed to be played for full league to come into his own. But it's madness not having him in the 26 as it is.

TJ has failed completely as a manager. I have no idea why he ever got job in the first place .. usual limerick thing.. who you know. Great players don't automatically make great managers. My understanding is that Davy Clarke is the bigger problem and TJ might do better without him but doesn't realise it himself.. Regarding Kiely , at least he seems to understand modern game. If he would take the job I think he would be great.

I don't, totally unproven. Remember D Keane ?! . If Tipp had won the first game, Kiely would now be a beaten docket. He needs to prove himself. We need someone with a consistently good track record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

I don't, totally unproven. Remember D Keane ?! . If Tipp had won the first game, Kiely would now be a beaten docket. He needs to prove himself. We need someone with a consistently good track record.

Bit harsh on Kiely there in my opinion but I'd hope he gets until the end of next year with the under 21's. The thing that sets Kiely apart from TJ is he's a much better delegator who assembles the right men around him. TJ can't put a good backroom team together. And TJ's year with a good group of under 21's was to put it mildly; a big disappointment. Kiely ticks many boxes that TJ doesn't. A better manager for sure, but good enough is another matter.

Dave Keane got a raw deal, he did favour the guys who brought him success over the established senior stars and that in turn led to resentment amongst some of the senior players. Particularly Mark Foley, at the time a vital player for us in his peak, but when DK dropped his brother John Foley he would never get Mark on side again. Our county board shafted him in a CB meeting after the 2003 championship and there were plenty of rumours at the time that Foley was instrumental behind the scenes in the lead up to that meeting to ensure Keane got the boot. In 2012, once it became known that Adare were going to install Dave Keane as the senior club manager that season, within days Mark and Brian Foley quit Adare put in transfers to Castletown-Ballyagran and South Liberties respectively, hardly a coincidence....

Keane wasn't a bad manager by any means, but he was naïve, and he was probably given the job too soon, it's understandable that he'd have a loyalty to the guys who won him 3 AI's. One thing that really surprises me is how quickly people forget 2003, the amount of people who feel Kiely should get the senior job ASAP is strange, does 2003 not serve as a reminder that immediately promoting a successful under 21 manager guarantees nothing and if anything can seriously backfire?

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Kiely there in my opinion but I'd hope he gets until the end of next year with the under 21's. The thing that sets Kiely apart from TJ is he's a much better delegator who assembles the right men around him. TJ can't put a good backroom team together. And TJ's year with a good group of under 21's was to put it mildly; a big disappointment. Kiely ticks many boxes that TJ doesn't. A better manager for sure, but good enough is another matter.

Dave Keane got a raw deal, he did favour the guys who brought him success over the established senior stars and that in turn led to resentment amongst some of the senior players. Particularly Mark Foley, at the time a vital player for us in his peak, but when DK dropped his brother John Foley he would never get Mark on side again. Our county board shafted him in a CB meeting after the 2003 championship and there were plenty of rumours at the time that Foley was instrumental behind the scenes in the lead up to that meeting to ensure Keane got the boot. In 2012, once it became known that Adare were going to install Dave Keane as the senior club manager that season, within days Mark and Brian Foley quit Adare put in transfers to Castletown-Ballyagran and South Liberties respectively, hardly a coincidence....

Keane wasn't a bad manager by any means, but he was naïve, and he was probably given the job too soon, it's understandable that he'd have a loyalty to the guys who won him 3 AI's. One thing that really surprises me is how quickly people forget 2003, the amount of people who feel Kiely should get the senior job ASAP is strange, does 2003 not serve as a reminder that immediately promoting a successful under 21 manager guarantees nothing and if anything can seriously backfire?

I'm not being harsh on Kiely, I'm stating the obvious, he may be a good prospect, he may be a good manager. But it is far too soon for the senior role. I agree about D Keane.

The essential difference between Kiely and TJ is this, Kiely should be considered for the role in a few years all going well, TJ should never have been considered for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

he did not do too bad with the intermediates a few years back, even when some players tought that intermediate inter county hurling was beneath them, it goes to show how big the heads of some if not most club hurlers, back on track, take a decco at three or four club games, at timess it is painfull to watch it

Why would anyone suggest that Kiely isn't ready for senior management. If he is a good manager then he is good enough. He is well capable. Are people suggesting that it takes time to "be ready" ? It doesn't. If he or anybody is a good enough manager then they are ready. A good manager knows their weaknesses and knows who to surround themselves with. Kiely is a good manager. Please don't refer to examples of others who "got the job too soon". That is laughable. Either they are capable or not. Very silly giving examples of others as if all people are the same. Waiting isn't going to improve him. Either he can now or can never succeed at it. But it is safe to say he would be an improvement.

Why would anyone suggest that Kiely isn't ready for senior management. If he is a good manager then he is good enough. He is well capable. Are people suggesting that it takes time to "be ready" ? It doesn't. If he or anybody is a good enough manager then they are ready. A good manager knows their weaknesses and knows who to surround themselves with. Kiely is a good manager. Please don't refer to examples of others who "got the job too soon". That is laughable. Either they are capable or not. Very silly giving examples of others as if all people are the same. Waiting isn't going to improve him. Either he can now or can never succeed at it. But it is safe to say he would be an improvement.

100% its best not to bother with yer many rightwing he hasnt a notion

Unproven? Good god! I just don't get the argument where people use Keane as "proof" that Kiely wouldn't "be ready". I'd love to hear what he has to do to get to the stage where he (or anyone else) is ready.

Fair enough. Newish here. Makes sense.

• Advertisement

You've answered your own question. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Another win for the minor footballers tonight, beat Waterford.

Whatever about Waterford, who got hammered by Kerry, beating a Tipp side who only lost by 3 to Cork was a huge achievement at a grade where we have struggled for quite a while. Tipp might not be as strong this year but they've been good at underage in recent years.

We get a crack off Cork now in the semi-final, and we shouldn't fear them. Limerick football does need a bit of the boost. The U-21s have put in two good performances in the last two years but lost both... if we managed to get to a Munster final, it would be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Tipp might not be as strong this year but they've been good at underage in recent years

Tipp no where near as strong this year, the hurling minor management ( Liam Cahill) forced all the dual players to pick one or the other and understandably hurling was the winner.

Great game between kilmallock and Na P

15 on 15 great hurling (some ropey defending aside)

Kil won by 4 in the end, started the better and took an 8 point lead at HT backed by a strong breeze. Graeme Mul was brilliant set up two goals for Oisin O reilly who finished them well

Na P came back into it in the 2nd half through Kevin Downes who scored 3 goals and about 4 points and was pretty much unmarkable. The gap cqame down to 3 points but 2 late Robbie hanley points settled kilmallock who held on to win.

Kilmallock had hunger and the advantage of building a lead to their advantage and were the better team deserved the win, for them oisin o reilly, Kevin o donnell, robin egan were very good and graeme mul outstanding. For Na P downes was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Travelled out to the game tonight and well worth it. As I've said in previous posts, its an excellent venue. Huge crowd (lots of west fans that would probably never travel to Bruff or GGs for a group game) Great atmosphere.
    Hats off to the County Board for having some vision for a change, hope they repeat.
    Better team won, hungrier and sharper. Should've scored more goals. King probably a big loss in NP defence that looked very dodgy at times.
    Kilmallock defended better making life tough for Dempsey,2 Breens and Dowling but Downes was immense.
    Graeme Mul and Reilly were livewires at the other end.
    Overall a good night for club hurling in the county.

Was at the well v adare game good game if not played at an intensity below championship pace was surprised with adare never thought they'd win this esp after the well goaled inside a min or so.for me hannon showed his class tonight a few times but feel there's more in him fitz was busy but w mac did a lot of running into blind alleys esp in first half for the well kob I thought had a fine game but was sent off near the end at least I think ''twas him as it was at the other end of the field Byrnes took some great scores what a striker of the ball he is, lynch scored some nice scores but wasn't as prevalent as you'd expect him to be. I thought the nap match and this one should have been on together tonight any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CillDioma

lim4ev wrote: »
    Was at the well v adare game good game if not played at an intensity below championship pace was surprised with adare never thought they'd win this esp after the well goaled inside a min or so.for me hannon showed his class tonight a few times but feel there's more in him fitz was busy but w mac did a lot of running into blind alleys esp in first half for the well kob I thought had a fine game but was sent off near the end at least I think ''twas him as it was at the other end of the field Byrnes took some great scores what a striker of the ball he is, lynch scored some nice scores but wasn't as prevalent as you'd expect him to be. I thought the nap match and this one should have been on together tonight any thoughts?
    Surely these two games should have been played as a Double header or at least at two different times.

Going back to Sundays game, I have to comment on Kilmallocks use of the ball, it was exactly what I'd like to see at county level. The ball was fast and direct but not hit and hope either, a player was also running in the forwards to recieve it. They hand passed the ball in the backs but it was rarely laboured and probably only had 2 turnovers from it (one leading to a goal). Graeme Mulcahy played between the lines and his distribution was fantastic set up 4 goal chances (2 taken) and took 2 points himself. It looked simple but was great to watch as you know a lot of work went into it. This is how a county team should play.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Going back to Sundays game, I have to comment on Kilmallocks use of the ball, it was exactly what I'd like to see at county level. The ball was fast and direct but not hit and hope either, a player was also running in the forwards to recieve it. They hand passed the ball in the backs but it was rarely laboured and probably only had 2 turnovers from it (one leading to a goal). Graeme Mulcahy played between the lines and his distribution was fantastic set up 4 goal chances (2 taken) and took 2 points himself. It looked simple but was great to watch as you know a lot of work went into it. This is how a county team should play.

Ger Downes more tactically astute than TJ ðŸ˜
    Mulcahy was very good to be fair to him. A high quality club match.

• Advertisement

Are we playing a challenge this weekend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement