Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Na Piarsaigh lost again! Need to win all three of their remaining games now, you'd still back them to qualify, and they have lost to the other two of the county's three best teams, but still, pressure on them in a big way now, they won't catch Doon or Kilmallock and it's looking set up for a tasty winner takes it all clash with Ballybrown in the final round now.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

You,d still expect nap to go through though,nap had similar experiences in group stages last yr but of course not as bad as this yrs I think they drew with adare and liberties pushed them close I think when it comes down to it they will do the business but wouldn't bet on them winning it out as its a long time to be hurling without a break.

The team I,d love to see winning it out would be doon and I think they have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

Limerick hurlers joining waterford tonight in Foto island for a training match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CillDioma

Good performance against Waterford last night by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Footballers not having much luck, will be tough Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Footballers not having much luck, will be tough Sunday

Up against it alright.

Clare were very good throughout the league and got a new coach from Dublin in who has worked wonders.

They have by and large a more settled squad and that was a factor in them beating us last year.In our 00s prime it was the other way round.

The league was horrible from a Limerick perspective but we had over 9 to 10 under 21s who combined both grades during the first quarter of 2016. No other county had anything like that big a crossover during the league. Clare have close to their best squad available to them since Colm Collins took over.

Management got it with both barrels from the Leader after relegation which wasn't surprising but they've earned the benefit of the doubt. Unlike the hurling setup they are there on merit and unlike the hurling they inherited a fairly bad hand but did very well with a battered minor group which was close to 32nd in the country from 2012-14 to putting the frighteners into 2 of the strongest teams in Ireland Cork and kerry at 21 level the last 2 seasons. There's been a couple involved in both setups.

Corbett and Lee are a loss but others have to take responsibility. We reached an all ireland quarter final without John Galvin 5 years ago.There's a chance for someone to step up and show leadership.

Sunday is a tall order but if some of the up and coming lads can gel with the 2 or 3 older aces like buckley and browne we could put it up to clare and be there or thereabouts at the finish.You have to be cautious but there must come a time when you have to throw off the shackles and take a risk.

Heres Hoping.

SHC result: Na Piarsaigh 7-22, Bruree 0-2. Ouch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Anyone know why Thomas Lee is not starting tomorrow? Is he injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

panda100 wrote: »
    Anyone know why Thomas Lee is not starting tomorrow? Is he injured?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/208125/Eligibility-row-rules-Limerick-footballer-out.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »

Ouch is right...
    Is this a windup..???
    Surely the worst junior side in the county would score more than 2 points..!!

washman3 wrote: »
    Ouch is right...
    Is this a windup..???
    Surely the worst junior side in the county would score more than 2 points..!!

Surely the worst junior side in the county wouldn't score at all against the All Ireland Club Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

As big a hammering as that is, Na P could be in trouble. Very real possibility of ballybrown beating Doon, or of Doon drawing with Kilmallock, and if either of those things happen (as I understand it) Na P are out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

They really need Doon to beat Ballyb, otherwise it's out of their hands. Only 3 months to wait...

As big a hammering as that is, Na P could be in trouble. Very real possibility of ballybrown beating Doon, or of Doon drawing with Kilmallock, and if either of those things happen (as I understand it) Na P are out.

If Ballybrown beat Doon Na P are definitely out(assuming Kilmallock beat Bruree).

A Doon draw with Kilmallock wouldn't put Na P out as Na P can finish on 6 points and if Ballybrown lose their last 2 games would finish on 5.

In fact I don't think Doon v Kilmallock will have any impact on Na P as Na P can't overtake Doon as Doon are already on 6 points and have beaten Na P and Kilmallock will qualify for definite when they beat Bruree in next game and then be on 7 points which Na P can't get to either.

It's amazing really I didn't think ballybrown would come near Kilmallock or in the future doon so it's out of nap hands now though I don't think ballyb will beat doon you,d never know though,if the unthinkable did happen to nap and they didn't qualify in the long run wouldn't be a disaster as they're hurling non stop for a while now.still think they'll get thru though. Would like to see doon win it out from here

Doon already through, they don't need to beat Ballybrown, lose and Na Piarsaigh are out. Only Na Piarsaigh and Kilmallock have been better than Doon in the last 2/3 years, they are a strong contender, and I think it's pretty much a statement of fact that Na Piarsaigh's absence from the knockout stage removes a major obstacle in Doon's championship winning ambitions.

I would certainly not go as far to suggest they might "throw" the Ballybrown game but I wonder just how motivated they'll be heading into that game, given that a loss would be more beneficial in the long run. It's an interesting angle heading into that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Doon already through, they don't need to beat Ballybrown, lose and Na Piarsaigh are out. Only Na Piarsaigh and Kilmallock have been better than Doon in the last 2/3 years, they are a strong contender, and I think it's pretty much a statement of fact that Na Piarsaigh's absence from the knockout stage removes a mojor obstacle in Doon's championship winning ambitions.

I would certainly not go as far to suggest they might "throw" the Ballybrown game but I wonder just how motivated they'll be heading into that game, given that a loss would be more beneficial in the long run. It's an interesting angle heading into that game.

If only this had happened last year. Patrickswell might have been County and even all Ireland champions :P

Yeah but it's still an advantage to win the group and avoid a Q-Final.

Totally agree but if they were to "throw" the match nap being out would be a major obstacle removed if I were a doon man the only two teams I,d fear with nap gone would be Kilmallock and the well what's the odds on meeting one of them in a Qf? Is it too early to ask? Plus if they did twud be a 50/50 match versus both.

• Advertisement

Any challenge games this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

CillDioma wrote: »
    Good performance against Waterford last night by all accounts.

all what accounts?

waterford were 15 points ahead at half time in this match and had hit 12 wides.
    only 10 of the league final starters started this one for them and half them went off as the second half progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Was Pauric Mahony any good in that challenge game? Moving well?

Well lads tipp match getting closer what's our chances? I'm hearing things aren't going too bad at all and that since the water ford challenge match training has gone well,having said all that it's a huge ask especially when we'll have a lot of debutants still though we have some forwards that on their day need to be respected or they'll do damage my guess at a team would be

Quad,English,r mac,condon,Byrnes,gom,byrnes,browne,a Dempsey,hegarty,c lynch,dowling,mul,Hannon,Nash.

Clare were going a lot better and look what happened them... it will all come out in the wash on the day.

Our tactics have basically gone from sweeper to one man full forward line and completely flooding our defence.

Not a lot of noise coming from the camp but don't take that to mean things are going well. What I'm led to believe is the players are not at all happy with how tactics and preparation and how things are going in general but the last thing they want is another Justin McCarthy 2009-10 saga so they're pretty much keeping quiet, working as hard as they can and hoping (but not believing) that things will somehow come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

lim4ev wrote: »
    Well lads tipp match getting closer what's our chances? I'm hearing things aren't going too bad at all and that since the water ford challenge match training has gone well,having said all that it's a huge ask especially when we'll have a lot of debutants still though we have some forwards that on their day need to be respected or they'll do damage my guess at a team would be

Quad,English,r mac,condon,Byrnes,gom,byrnes,browne,a Dempsey,hegarty,c lynch,dowling,mul,Hannon,Nash.

We sure could do with two of Diarmuid Byrnes alright :)

I'm hearing that no Na P player will start. That would have to be a first for AI club champions if it happens?? Some of the other possible/likely selections like Hegarty at wing forward don't fill me with confidence either.

I can't remember ever having such low expectations, I'd be very surprised if we keep it within 10 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

I'm hearing that no Na P player will start. That would have to be a first for AI club champions if it happens?? Some of the other possible/likely selections like Hegarty at wing forward don't fill me with confidence either.

I can't remember ever having such low expectations, I'd be very surprised if we keep it within 10 points.

Is that from a "reliable source" about the NaP players?

Our tactics have basically gone from sweeper to one man full forward line and completely flooding our defence.

Not a lot of noise coming from the camp but don't take that to mean things are going well. What I'm led to believe is the players are not at all happy with how tactics and preparation and how things are going in general but the last thing they want is another Justin McCarthy 2009-10 saga so they're pretty much keeping quiet, working as hard as they can and hoping (but not believing) that things will somehow come good.

Have heard similar a couple of players only going thru the motions and waiting for next year.

• Advertisement

Indeed!!! Didn't spot that mistake one of the byrnes should be r lynch. Only thing I heard re nap players is that dowling might be in bother

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement