Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

I can't remember ever having such low expectations, I'd be very surprised if we keep it within 10 points.

Im afraid I also agree with this. Tipp full forward line is too strong for us and I dont think we have any answer for Seamus Callanan. 10+ point defeat I think.
    Ps- I'll be there roaring the Limerick men on and hoping I'm wrong!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

A story I was told 5/6 weeks ago: A player posted something on social media that Joe O'Connor (rightfully) deemed inappropriate, and I believe it may even have contravened social media guidelines that the players have agreed to abide by. O'Connor approached TJ in order to have the player disciplined, for whatever reason TJ opted to take no disciplinary action only to have a quiet word.

The player's reaction to this was pretty much that he refused to train for O'Connor as he was pi$$ed off at him for seeking disciplinary action. I'd imagine the situation has resolved itself and that this player has since returned to strength and conditioning training but what would concern me is that the player was allowed remain on the panel despite opting out of parts of the training programme. No name is big enough for that to be tolerated.

Couldn't stand over any of that as fact (which is why I'm not naming the player) so don't take it as gospel. But after a few surprise omissions in the latter stages of the league and some of the rumours floating around the county in the last few days I reckon it may be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

There's a wider issue here somewhere, to the naked eye too many of the limerick players are struggling with strength & conditioning. There are 3 likely starters overweight. That's unheard of now in club hurling not to mention senior inter county hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

trg wrote: »
    There's a wider issue here somewhere, to the naked eye too many of the limerick players are struggling with strength & conditioning. There are 3 likely starters overweight. That's unheard of now in club hurling not to mention senior inter county hurling

I can only think of two who you could maybe say that about and it looks like they won't be starting anyway.

I can only think of two who you could maybe say that about and it looks like they won't be starting anyway.

Hmm does that make it ok if only 2 and neither starting? Which I don't believe will be the case anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Have heard similar a couple of players only going thru the motions and waiting for next year.

which never comes, in my opinion anyway, more tan likely there will be masive changes by then, which they may not be to their liking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

trg wrote: »
    in other words, the players own the dressing room not the manager, not a nice prospect for next week, it could well be that karma is coming back to bite the manager in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

flutered wrote: »
    which never comes, in my opinion anyway, more tan likely there will be masive changes by then, which they may not be to their liking

Yeah I agree, time is ticking for the two players mentioned to me anyway, be an interesting team selection

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

7 of Limerick's All-Ireland U21 winners in line to start v Tipperary
    http://the42.ie/2824776

The team that's pretty much given away here is more or less the same as what I've heard the last week or two. This refers to Downes and Dowling each battling for a position but I heard no Na P player is in line to start.

The stuff I'm hearing is just shambolic, either there's some serious disinformation being put out or we're going to be beat out the gate. Player ability might keep us somewhat competitive but as for anything coherent outside of that forget about it. I'm worried about the appointment of the next manager given some of the stuff I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Team named-

13413537_1811715322384997_1112114469504024833_n.jpg?oh=bd4682f16886f1a9dbb703261361416c&oe=57DA9123

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Anyone going to Thurles on Sunday from the Dublin side? First time going from the Dublin side as I work in Dublin now so have always come from Limerick and parked near the Toyota garage as you come into Thurles. Where does everyone coming in from the Dublin side park do you know? I'll have to come through the town I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Colemania wrote: »
    Anyone going to Thurles on Sunday from the Dublin side? First time going from the Dublin side as I work in Dublin now so have always come from Limerick and parked near the Toyota garage as you come into Thurles. Where does everyone coming in from the Dublin side park do you know? I'll have to come through the town I think

Go to the second exit for Thurles and come in by the golf club. You can get very close by going to the car park close to Bowes/Railway station

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Very weak half forward line. Only nash playing in his usual position. Full back out of posn too. His best is midfield for club. Not hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

All form-lines point to a Tipp win tomorrow. We sleep-walked our way through the early part of the league against the cannon-fodder and were shown up badly when we met teams operating at a higher level. However with the starting 15 named, all sense and rationale usually goes out the window to be replaced by blind optimism.

The effect of dropping Richie McCarthy is immeasurable; literally it is so, because we haven't played a game of note without him in the last 4-5 years and because Dan Morrissey is the most unknown of unknown quantities at 3. I think we've had a massive problem in the last two years, in that everyone, including our own players, knew that in any one-on-one situation McCarthy would be roasted or forced to foul, and more and more teams were beginning to exploit that. This is the first attempt to seriously address this without re-structuring the team to close down space. From what I've seen of him at wing-back and midfield, Dan is a good, solid player: strong, athletic, but somewhat lacking in out-and-out hurling ability. He's a big lad and it won't be a mismatch from an aerial or strength point of view in his battle with Callanan, however the real strength of Callanan's game is latching onto ball in space in front of him and using his pace to attack. It's hard to know how Dan will fare against this, I would have preferred if Richie English was put on him (despite his youth) because English is phenomenal at sticking so close to his man that the opponent simply cannot turn.

The half-back line is probably as good as we can muster at the moment - if you were confident that Hickey could find his form of 2014 I would actually switch Hickey and Condon, who I think has more hurling for wing-back and revels in looser play. Byrnes is a Rolls-Royce of a player and is hugely effective in the less restrictive wing-back role. I think it's a good call playing O'Mahoney at 6 as his experience will inform his ability to hold the position and he is probably one of our best ball-strikers; the downside is that he is the weakest of the three in the air by and could struggle badly in a physical match-up with Bonner Maher if Maher goes on him, which I expect he will. This may necessitate a switch with Hickey or Condon.

James Ryan on pure hurling ability probably shouldn't be there, but every time he comes back into the lineup after being out injured you realise anew how much ball this man gets on to. I had hoped Pat Ryan would have seen more game-time this year as I see him as a natural physical successor to Jimbob at midfield, but with more hurling, however I see he has been released to the intermediates for Sunday. We've good backup in the squad midfielder-wise - Fitzgibbon has seen a lot of game-time during the league but I actually prefer him closer to goal with Seanie O'Brien to me as the stand-out guy to come in and work in the middle of the pitch when legs are tiring.

Hegarty at wing-forward is nothing more than a tall-man-on-the-guy-who-is-good-at-catching ploy. I hope it pays off but it means instantly sacrificing a spot on the front 6 scoring wise. Dowling has had a dip in form imo but is starting at centre-forward, if we wanted to nullify Padraig Maher I would have preferred to have seen Nash or Dowling on his wing, both of whom would have different attacking attributes to keep Maher occupied. Once again we are not bringing any pace or directness to the centre-forward position which hugely inhibits our ability to drive at the centre of the opposition defence - Kevin Downes is the outstanding candidate to play this position but is kept in reserve.

I think there have been two good calls in the full-forward line - moving Hannon there, which I think suits him more at intercounty level, and moving Lynch to corner-forward where he may get license to roam, as opposed to being restricted under puck-outs at wing-forward. If we are to have any chance tomorrow we need big games out of both.

Probably the most low-key build-up I can remember for a championship game, with expectations in Limerick at an all-time low. On pure talent alone I don't believe there is much between us and Tipp, and if Morrissey goes well at 3 we may have addressed a major, major weakness - but any soundings coming from the camp are not good and it's hard to see past a Tipp win. I don't think we'll be white-washed, but I do expect Tipp to pull away in the last 10 mins. However, you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Excellent post...

we travel in hope.
    one never knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Bring a jacket too I'd say!

Weather looks very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I remember watching Doom and Na Piarsigh in the championship out in Kilmallock a few years back and the weather was horrible but Doon gave them a right beating because they just laid into them and Na Piarsigh couldn't handle the wet weather as it didn't suit their playing style at all. They've come on a bit since then but we should be throwing on some of these Doon lads if the weather keeps up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Getting ready to head out in a few minutes. Hopeful of a good performance. I hope it goes well particularly for the lads making debuts: hopefully the occasion won't get to them. Byrnes in particular I think needs to be disciplined. Not too sold on Hegarty at wing forward. Didn't he have trials there for the 21s last year and it didn't work so he emerged as a serious wing back. I think Paudie Maher could be a bit too streetwise for him but hoping I'm wrong. If Gearoid does get on top then the thought of him laying off passes to hard running players like Browne, Nash or Cian Lynch gives me hope that we can match Tipp. Also on the idea of Richie English going in full back: in the 21s game vs Tipp last year O'Riordan scored 2-2 off home before he was switched to wing back and Hegarty went in full back. Richie's greatest strength for me is his ability to stay with smaller,technical forwards (ODonnell, Whelan, McDonald didn't fare too well with him hassling them last year). A limerick double today will do me just fine however we get it. COYBIG

Some terrible individual performances, but all fault is with the management.

• Advertisement

New low. Out worked and out fought by 14 men. It never looked in doubt. The red card spared us a similar result to last year. Tipp did very well, different class to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

There is serious hurling talent in Limerick but it's all being undone by the clueless management of the senior team.That rant by TJ about the vultures is even more hilarious after today.Limerick were good enough to give Tipp a good rattle yet they gift wrapped them the match.I just can't see this Limerick team doing much as long as TJ Ryan is running the show.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

I have to say i dont get the team announced. Poor showing... but thoroughly expected

Who do folk reckon is responsible for the use of the spare man? GOM made no impact on the play at all. You'd imagine he'd have positioned himself much closer to Callanan & Morrissey or else gotten involved in the middle but was neither here nor there. Looks like Hickeys time is almost up, so bad on his feet and too easily dispossessed like the time Noel McGrath took it off him and flicked it over the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

There is serious hurling talent in Limerick but it's all being undone by the clueless management of the senior team.That rant by TJ about the vultures is even more hilarious after today.Limerick were good enough to give Tipp a good rattle yet they gift wrapped them the match.I just can't see this Limerick team doing much as long as TJ Ryan is running the show.

What's the evidence of the serious hurling talent that can play senior inter county ? It always seems to be the managers fault in Limerick after a loss, might the players have some responsibility too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

What's the evidence of the serious hurling talent that can play senior inter county ? It always seems to be the managers fault in Limerick after a loss, might the players have some responsibility too ?

ah well on todays evidance it was clear the management did not know what to do with an extra man for 65 minutes of the game , also i seen limerick attempt a short hand passing game that was forced upon them in a number of league games this year which failed miserably

Ah FFS, another trip to Mullingar.... But like yesterday, against my better judgement I'll go as usual, I'm at the stage now where I've almost lost all goodwill towards TJ after all his years playing for us, we have the raw materials in this county but prolonged spells of sub-standard management will only have long term damaging effects on their ultimate ability to make it as a senior player.

T.J. was a political appointment, one clown on the board in particular has a soft spot for him, had been trying to get him the job since 2010/11.

Look at his management CV, what had he done to earn this job? People will trot out the usual "ye're blaming the managers as usual" line but seriously; what has TJ done to earn this role?
    Any non-Limerick person; would you like TJ in charge of your county??
    He had a good year with a Cork Intermediate club, that's it. One respectable season with Garryspillane.
    Limerick under 21's in 2013; a toothless capitulation to Tipperary from a decent panel of players. 2015 and 2016 absolutely littered with toothless capitulations.

He should have gone last year, 2015 was utterly unacceptable, we went backwards by an alarming amount. But, instead, politics and ego's and saving face got in the way. Certain people couldn't bring themselves to acknowledge they were wrong about TJ, and in a desperate bid to placate those who wanted change (a group of which contained the players) they instead proposed a gutting of the backroom team, they pulled the usual strings, made the deals, "remember that time I did such and such", "back me here and I'll do xyz for you down the line", and before you know it, TJ is still in charge, they don't have to face up to standing down the man they desperately pushed for for years, and a new backroom is installed (except for TJ's right hand man Clarke).

They tried and they tried and they tried to get Kinnerk. Kinnerk is a proud Limerick man, think about that, ask yourselves why he refused to join the present set-up. He's not stupid, he knew to stay well away from a manager whom it is well known in private circles (of whick Kinnerk was privy to) that the players had absolutely no faith in.

We have the wrong man in charge. I don't fully blame TJ for that. It's understandable that a man won't turn that job down and that they'd be reluctant to vacate that position.

Our county board are moron's. They need to cop on and put the politicking and ego's aside, they're only doing damage, they're putting themselves ahead of the good of Limerick hurling. Put the right man in charge.

What Oliver Mann did in 2014 was nothing short of disgraceful. He slandered O'Grady, and when called out on it he issued no retraction or apology, he pathetically suggested mediation. He had no problem issuing the lie in the first place, he didn't need a mediator to do that.... It was a calculated strategy to push O'Grady out of the joint management team and leave his guy in sole charge.

Donal O'Grady was blackguarded in 2014, we're paying for it now, you could even call it karma....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

What is the problem with Limerick Hurling? Is it the players (hard to believe its this with the success we've had at club level and U21 level over the last few years), the gameplan or inability to execute one or is it the management and their lack of ability to utilize the resources available to them?

A beating was always on the cards for yesterday but Loughnane called it when he said that was as close to a 2-point hammering as you could get. How could a 15-man team not even find parity with a 14-man Tipp?

How can this possibly be fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Ah FFS, another trip to Mullingar.... But like yesterday, against my better judgement I'll go as usual,

Do yourself a favour.Save a few euros and stay well away from it.

• Advertisement

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Ah FFS, another trip to Mullingar.... But like yesterday, against my better judgement I'll go as usual, I'm at the stage now where I've almost lost all goodwill towards TJ after all his years playing for us, we have the raw materials in this county but prolonged spells of sub-standard management will only have long term damaging effects on their ultimate ability to make it as a senior player.

T.J. was a political appointment, one clown on the board in particular has a soft spot for him, had been trying to get him the job since 2010/11.

Look at his management CV, what had he done to earn this job? People will trot out the usual "ye're blaming the managers as usual" line but seriously; what has TJ done to earn this role?
    Any non-Limerick person; would you like TJ in charge of your county??
    He had a good year with a Cork Intermediate club, that's it. One respectable season with Garryspillane.
    Limerick under 21's in 2013; a toothless capitulation to Tipperary from a decent panel of players. 2015 and 2016 absolutely littered with toothless capitulations.

He should have gone last year, 2015 was utterly unacceptable, we went backwards by an alarming amount. But, instead, politics and ego's and saving face got in the way. Certain people couldn't bring themselves to acknowledge they were wrong about TJ, and in a desperate bid to placate those who wanted change (a group of which contained the players) they instead proposed a gutting of the backroom team, they pulled the usual strings, made the deals, "remember that time I did such and such", "back me here and I'll do xyz for you down the line", and before you know it, TJ is still in charge, they don't have to face up to standing down the man they desperately pushed for for years, and a new backroom is installed (except for TJ's right hand man Clarke).

They tried and they tried and they tried to get Kinnerk. Kinnerk is a proud Limerick man, think about that, ask yourselves why he refused to join the present set-up. He's not stupid, he knew to stay well away from a manager whom it is well known in private circles (of whick Kinnerk was privy to) that the players had absolutely no faith in.

We have the wrong man in charge. I don't fully blame TJ for that. It's understandable that a man won't turn that job down and that they'd be reluctant to vacate that position.

Our county board are moron's. They need to cop on and put the politicking and ego's aside, they're only doing damage, they're putting themselves ahead of the good of Limerick hurling. Put the right man in charge.

What Oliver Mann did in 2014 was nothing short of disgraceful. He slandered O'Grady, and when called out on it he issued no retraction or apology, he pathetically suggested mediation. He had no problem issuing the lie in the first place, he didn't need a mediator to do that.... It was a calculated strategy to push O'Grady out of the joint management team and leave his guy in sole charge.

Donal O'Grady was blackguarded in 2014, we're paying for it now, you could even call it karma....

Absolutely correct, except we're the one's who have to endure it, not the egomaniacs. Will they do the decent thing and give it to John Kiely with licence to pick his backroom team? Or will they stick some other spoofer in there next year to do their bidding

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement