Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

sasta le wrote: »
    Question for Limerick posters is there much Gaa in all the "rough"areas you hear in the media?Moyross Southhill Weston or what clubs are in the area etc
    No real clubs directly in those areas but people from those areas have played in clubs like Claughaun, St Pats, old Christians etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

PIORUN wrote: »
    No real clubs directly in those areas but people from those areas have played in clubs like Claughaun, St Pats, old Christians etc.

Claughaun is the Moyross club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Limerick City doesn't have any strict parish rule as such so you're pretty much free to play for whatever club you like, local clubs to some of these areas you're enquiring about would be Old Christians and Ballinacurra Gaels. Northside of the city would pretty much be entirely at Na Piarsaigh's disposal, LIT Sarsfields were set up, I'm not 100% sure what their present status is, they only ever played underage but as far as I'm aware they were targetted at the Moyross area.

Abbey Sarsfields (Corbally) have reformed this year after a 5/6 year absence so hopefully they can survive this time, would be nice to see Milford return but will hardly happen, they were treated disgracefully by the city board and another big neighbouring club who didn't like the new boy on "their" turf.

LimerickGAA just tweeted details for Saturday at Thurles; footballers at 3pm and hurlers at 7pm either side of the Cork v Wexford game at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    LimerickGAA just tweeted details for Saturday at Thurles; footballers at 3pm and hurlers at 7pm either side of the Cork v Wexford game at 5pm.

Thats madness, should be 3 and 5 FFS. Gawd help anyone who wanted to bring kids to both games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Thats madness, should be 3 and 5 FFS. Gawd help anyone who wanted to bring kids to both games

Just to get bums on seats early and keep them there for the day, Semple is not able to facilitate a day like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭chatjunkie

HanaleiJ5N wrote:

Hope Clare don't hockey us! Tough test ahead. Would have been much more hopeful drawing either Wexford or Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Apologies for piggy backing on the Limerick GAA discussion but someone from Limerick who knows the Gaelic grounds might be able to answer my question! I've been offered to two tickets for Sundays match, can't remember which section but the row is CC, I can't find out if that's a row nearish to the pitch or at the back of the stand? I'm just wary someone might be pawning off tickets with an obstructed view to me! Any help appreciated thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

chatjunkie wrote: »
    Hope Clare don't hockey us! Tough test ahead. Would have been much more hopeful drawing either Wexford or Cork!

Limerick don't get hammered. I'm really worried about this one myself. Always a big game in Limerick. No excuse anymore for Clare.

Ah forgot it was cork in the football so one set of supporters had to lose out.

Not sure its a great idea to play so many u-21's on the intermediate team, should be looking to see if a few club players can step up to senior level, look how cody seems to pull hurlers off the ditch and put them into leinster finals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Bill Noddy

Apologies for piggy backing on the Limerick GAA discussion but someone from Limerick who knows the Gaelic grounds might be able to answer my question! I've been offered to two tickets for Sundays match, can't remember which section but the row is CC, I can't find out if that's a row nearish to the pitch or at the back of the stand? I'm just wary someone might be pawning off tickets with an obstructed view to me! Any help appreciated thanks!

I have it in my head that CC is the lower part of the Mackey stand closer to the Caherdavin end. If I am right your view should be ok enough. I think the Munster GAA website may have a seating plan of the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Bill Noddy wrote: »
    I have it in my head that CC is the lower part of the Mackey stand closer to the Caherdavin end. If I am right your view should be ok enough. I think the Munster GAA website may have a seating plan of the ground

It's section 102 row CC, as long the view isn't obstructed by a pillar I'll be happy! Oddly enough there's no info on the rows in any of the seating plans, most rows in the country's GAA stadiums start with A at the back of the stand go downwards then go into double letters if there's more than 24 rows, so you're more than likely correct, just wanted to double check. Cheers for that I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Ah forgot it was cork in the football so one set of supporters had to lose out.

Not sure its a great idea to play so many u-21's on the intermediate team, should be looking to see if a few club players can step up to senior level, look how cody seems to pull hurlers off the ditch and put them into leinster finals

A lot of u21 players alright but it's good to see the intermediates being used as a development team/squad. Especially for guys ages 21-24 that may not make the step up to senior intercounty straight from u21. The intermediate team is actually one to get excited about, a lot of guys in there with potential to be senior intercounty hurlers.

A lot of u21 players alright but it's good to see the intermediates being used as a development team/squad. Especially for guys ages 21-24 that may not make the step up to senior intercounty straight from u21. The intermediate team is actually one to get excited about, a lot of guys in there with potential to be senior intercounty hurlers.

I agree mostly but all the players are on our radars, surely there's a few rough diamonds that could be thrown in to a good team at a good level to see if they can cut it. All the u-21's outnext wednesday too, if we win both it would be nice to use a slightly wider pool of players

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I wonder would there be any chance some of the intermediates named for tomorrow be told play well and you could be in for sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

lim4ev wrote: »
    I wonder would there be any chance some of the intermediates named for tomorrow be told play well and you could be in for sat?

I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

From what I saw tonight the double letters are further back in the stand so row A must be front row similar to croke park.

Really disappointing loss for the intermediates, I hope the u-21's have plenty in the legs for Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Coming from Dublin to the game on Sunday. Anyone have details on how to get to the Gaelic grounds. Park around thommand and head home via Cahirconlish.

thesultan wrote: »
    Coming from Dublin to the game on Sunday. Anyone have details on how to get to the Gaelic grounds. Park around thommand and head home via Cahirconlish.

Get there early and go through tunnel. After tunnel turn left at roundabout and park on hard shoulder along there. If u can have the car turned back towards the roundabout. Handy walk to the ground and no major delay after that I have experienced. Just a few mins waiting to get back onto tunnel road from roundabout.

• Advertisement

The second quarter was embarrassing. Can't cope with Clare's movement of the ball. Work rate in the forwards a million miles off, Clare defence moving the ball out far too easy. Miracle required. I ain't saying we have an All Ireland standard squad but our players are not as bad as they look, should be doing better. Losing I can take, but going down without a fight would be gut wrenching. All you want is for them to do their best, and management to get the best from them. Hasn't been happening for far too long. Hardly going to suddenly happen in the next 35 minutes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Tj hasn't a clue Played sweeper most of the game Heads needs to roll, starting from the top .. Hopefully Kiely will get a chance to turn things around now

So TJ's reign (judging by his post game comments at least) is pretty much at an end. Sadly it just hasn't worked out for him, there were major warning signs last season but in their eternal wisdom some in the county board fought to retain him. Unfortunately, in a county that is oft lauded for it's great support, (wrongfully, we're no better or worse than anyone else) there were people who never supported TJ, and it almost appeared some wanted him to fail, as him succeeding and turning things around would remove their ability to say I told you so....

TJ, sadly just wasn't up to it. The line between success and failure is barely visible, the field (behind Kilkenny) is very tight and sadly we're at the back of that chasing pack. I'll never slate a guy who gives it his all and tries his best and honestly, I don't doubt for a second that TJ gave this his all. He's given the majority of his life to Limerick hurling and I don't think it's unfair to say it means more to him than any of us, and no one will be hurting more than him that this hasn't worked out.

He gave it a go. He stepped up in 2014 when Oliver Mann sabotaged things and forced O'Grady out. The four championship performances in 2014 under TJ were great in terms of commitment and application, if a bit tactically naïve in places, but the positives far outweighed the negatives and he did earn the right to hold on to the role for 2015. 2015 was unacceptable. And disappointingly, he was retained for 2016. But any blame for this lies squarely at the feet of the county board. TJ obviously felt he could turn it around and the CB were happy to retain him; no manager would step down in that scenario. He gave it a go, it didn't work out. But, it's on the county board that he was in charge for 2016.

The players; you know what, time to take the gloves off. Even if you're not entirely happy with preparations and the guys in charge; is there really any excuse for not trying your hardest? Yesterday for long phases we were absolutely shocking without the ball, in terms of aggression/movement/effort off the ball Clare and Limerick were worlds apart. Many of our forwards were pathetic in that regard, Clare had it way too easy moving the sliothar up the field whereas our own backs who fought well were hassled and harried by the Clare forwards. For 10 minutes or so in the second half our forward unit stopped dropping off their men and from that our late "revival" was spawned, the penalty completely stalled that momentum. The movement of our forwards was poor. Many times we would win possession and the man in possession would be faced with a static forward unit just standing and waiting for the ball to be delivered, so easy to defend against.

I'm not going to pick on individuals, but there are a handful of players who are pissing away massive ability and potential by not backing it up with application and aggression. We all know who they are, some are far worse offenders than others.

Roll on 2017 I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Rightwing wrote: »
    If we can't beat Waterford we are going nowhere.

I posted this around the league semi final, much to the annoyance of both Limerick and Waterford supporters.

Now, a re-evaluation is in order.

Waterford, as I suspected would be found out when they come up against a top team, and there is no better team to exploit weaknesses than Tipp. Back to the drawing board for them, although they are not as bad as today suggests.

We were trounced by Waterford so I suppose beating westmeath was as good we could hope for.

New manager is required, but players aren't blameless. An outside manager is the only realistic option.

As for the hurling championship itself, it's been shockingly poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I was hoping for a Waterford win and thought they would win I'm mystified by their performance and disappointed for them but if it puts an end to this dreadful sweeper business I'd be happy enough. Would love to see them and everyone else go orthodox as this yr has been the worst championship in living memory. Still believe it'll be Clare tipp and kk waterford semis.

I'm glad that's over. Nothing against TJ he just wasn't up to it. I'm sure he did give it his all and best of luck to him in the future.

No point in commenting on the game, there a couple of serious WTF moments in the 2nd half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

lim4ev wrote: »
    I was hoping for a Waterford win and thought they would win I'm mystified by their performance and disappointed for them but if it puts an end to this dreadful sweeper business I'd be happy enough. Would love to see them and everyone else go orthodox as this yr has been the worst championship in living memory. Still believe it'll be Clare tipp and kk waterford semis.

Agreed. And it would do away with short puck outs too, which will no doubt evolve into soccer style passing it around at the back and build it up from there.

Next stop will be counting phases rugby style.

elastico wrote: »
    Agreed. And it would do away with short puck outs too, which will no doubt evolve into soccer style passing it around at the back and build it up from there.

Next stop will be counting phases rugby style.

Well hickey wouldnt survive in a rugby style game as he keeps going "off his feet"...... I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

feel sorry for tj he is a proud limerick hurling man but his tatics left him with no choice in the end , the hope here in clare in the next year or two is we get someone in with a more direct approach , last nights game must have been a very poor spectral for a neutral

tipperary today showed the way for teams to be successful hopefully more teams adopted the same mantra in future , but if anthony daly gets the job he will take limerick a step or two further but it wont be pretty to watch , i reckon he is probably next in line

• Advertisement

really don't want daly either

very worried about the form of lynch, Morrissey nash heading into Wednesdays game hopefully not too much damage done

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement