Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

Poor teamwork overall which is a probably a fault of management.... but I thought that the players tried hard individually, they are an honest bunch that give a sh1tload of time for little or no rewards... and that in turn might raise questions on their sanity!! but they are our own so keep the heads up and plough on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the bigest fault of management is the positions lads are asked to play , dirmuid byrnes is one of the best players in the country , why have him marking tony kelly last night , jimbob caused us huge problems at half forward at the start of the game but was dragged back the field into a defensive roll where he was uneffective for the rest of the game ,

as far as managemnet is concerned ye need a tried and tested manager now at this stage , one other big problem is the selection process at the moment , most of that starting 15 in last wednesday nights intermediate final should have been involved in the current senior set up especially the likes of peter casey , ronan lynch and anthony le touche cosgrave

an outsider would look for these guys stright away and give them a chance , daly would not be a bad choice of manager as far as results are concerned , but with anthony cuningham and liam sheady doing nothing ye would be foolish to ignore them first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

I really hope Kiely is left remain with the under 21 team until the end of the 2017 season, that management team have been doing good work so leave them at it. In the same way that an excellent under 21 player won't necessarily make it at senior level a good under 21 manager won't necessarily make a good senior manager (learn the lessons from 2000-2003......)

Our biggest problem right now is, the county board have proven they are completely and utterly reckless and unreliable when it comes to installing management teams.

Last 7/8 years alone-
    -They shaft managers who have just won provincial titles at minor and under 21 level (O'Connor, B.Ryan)
    -They install a 5 man joint Intermediate management team as they were too childish and proud to accept Tom Ryan as the manager as per the recommendation of the committee they tasked with selecting the manager.
    -They retain managers despite their positions becoming untenable in the name of standing up to players (McCarthy 09, TJRyan 15)
    -Joint senior management team installed for 2014 that they soon set about sabotaging....
    -Politics, back-stabbing, you scratch my back I'll scratch yours, ego's, it's just a power play to a lot of these guys, there are good men within the county board too but a lot of these guys are only there to serve their own interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Season ended as expected. Hopefully the 21s can give us something to cheer for though.

Everything now rests on next year's managerial appointment. I honestly believe we have the players to challenge over the next three years, a handful of 28-30 guys that have a couple years left to contribute and redeem themselves, and a whole host of quality young players coming through.

Kiely is the obvious candidate and hopefully he can be persuaded to take the job. If not, sheedy and daly both seem to be in the running and would be good appointments in terms of breaking from the past and having the experience, skills and reputation to run things professionally and do things their way. So much the last two years fell way below the standard of preparation and organisation required to achieve at inter county level these days. Cunningham -please no.
    HanaleiJ5N wrote: »

The movement of our forwards was poor. Many times we would win possession and the man in possession would be faced with a static forward unit just standing and waiting for the ball to be delivered, so easy to defend against.
    On this, you have to ask, was there any coaching of this at all? Allen had the defence in particular extremely well organised in 2013 and that carried through to 2014. It slowly fell apart this year and last.

But the forwards started poor enough and got worse when the system Allen was playing was dismantled (rightly so we needed to be more attacking). We always played like a group of individuals. I wonder did they ever do a single coaching session practicing lines for support runs? The forwards as a group were completely disconnected and the only effort made to remedy this seemed to be the occasional shuffle of positions or personnel.

This was made worse by the backs basically fonging the ball forward long straight and high to a group of stationary forwards. No wonder we can't win a ball. Even guys like o'mahony who is normally do good at getting his head up and looking for a pass just lashed it forward on Saturday, even when he had time and space -that's a coaching issue. What was Downes doing back around the half back line yesterday??

While a lot of our players looked so bad yesterday, and in particular a lot of the guys we have high expectations of didn't deliver, I don't think you can really expect them to be good under these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Would love to think Sheedy would be interested. Is that a real prospect or are people just throwing names about? If he can't do it then I would be ok with Daly or Kiely for different reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Very disappointed with the season overall. I would argue that TJ is an excellent coach. I've seen him in operation and thought he did very well. He is not a manager I think and he was hamstrung badly by those around him who are not at the pitch of the modern game. I think he still has a lot to offer and doesn't walk away from the game completely (I don't think he will by the way)
    Looking forward I think we should look at getting someone in on a 2 year deal. Minimum goal for year one is promotion. Goals for year two are retention of league 1 status and quarter final in the championship. Then I would like to see John Kiely come in to a group of mid 20 somethings who will be physically and mentally ready for a serious shot at an all Ireland. Whether someone will take a two year deal is another thing (maybe with the option of a third as an incentive if things go really well?) Either way I think you are looking at 2019 as a minimum target for a serious tilt at an all Ireland but as usual I live in the hope of being proved wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Why are some people looking for daly to come in? He has our minors playing an awful brand of hurling and we are getting battered at the same time. They were lucky Kingston was missing for replay last year vs cork and even then Cork threw it away. We fell over the line that night.
    I suppose the co board asked teege to sleep on it for another night as he probably didnt sleep too well on Saturday night. I presume they wont try to convince him to stay on???? Nothing would surprise me at this stage. That or they have Leo lined up for it. God save us all!

Liam Sheedy ......yes
    Anthony Cunningham...... no
    Ciaran with serious back room team......yes
    John Kiely.......maybe.....Thursday night will tell how much confidence has been sapped from the U21's on senior panel.
    Shane O Neill...... big step up from club....hardly.
    Sparrow....... not really
    John Allen...... surely not interested but no point in going back...

As some have said. Its the coach is the big appointment. TOMMY DUNNE PLEASE.

Forget about Sheedy lads, they tried hard to get him at the end of 2013. Unless he's changed his mind in the meantime he is unwilling to manage any county other than his own, the best we'd get out of him is a part time advisory role but it's highly unlikely he'll ever patrol the sidelines in anything other than Tipp colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

Gone officially now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

pajoguy wrote: »
    Why are some people looking for daly to come in? He has our minors playing an awful brand of hurling and we are getting battered at the same time. They were lucky Kingston was missing for replay last year vs cork and even then Cork threw it away. We fell over the line that night.
    I suppose the co board asked teege to sleep on it for another night as he probably didnt sleep too well on Saturday night. I presume they wont try to convince him to stay on???? Nothing would surprise me at this stage. That or they have Leo lined up for it. God save us all!

Liam Sheedy ......yes
    Anthony Cunningham...... no
    Ciaran with serious back room team......yes
    John Kiely.......maybe.....Thursday night will tell how much confidence has been sapped from the U21's on senior panel.
    Shane O Neill...... big step up from club....hardly.
    Sparrow....... not really
    John Allen...... surely not interested but no point in going back...

As some have said. Its the coach is the big appointment. TOMMY DUNNE PLEASE.

I'll rate this list:

Sheedy: 8.5/10
    Cunningham: 6
    Carey: 4.5
    Kiely: 2.5
    O Neill: 5
    Sparrow: .5
    Allen: 4

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'll rate this list:

I dont think we would get sheedy and anyone below that based on your rating is not good enough. Out of interest what would you rate TJ?

Where do we go from here. Surley the co board meeting will be firey enough tomorrow night. If its not we can forget it.

There will be a push for Daly, and I suspect it mightn't be met with too much resistance. He's already 'on the books' so it would represent a straight forward option. It's his to turn down really in my opinion.

I have some reservations but we could easily do worse and he's certainly an upgrade on what we had. Assemble the right backroom team around him and we'll do alright.

I dont think we would get sheedy and anyone below that based on your rating is not good enough. Out of interest what would you rate TJ?

Where do we go from here. Surley the co board meeting will be firey enough tomorrow night. If its not we can forget it.

I don't like rating TJ as he is gone, but I'd be generous if I gave him 2.

Tipp have found themselves another good manager. They are out there.

But it can't all be about management, players haven't been good enough for 1 reason or another. The next manager is vital, get it wrong and a lot of the underage work is gone down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

Its virtually a full-time job for 7-8 months so it requires someone that wants to do it and has the time to do and someone that will get the most out of the players we have.
    I think that the man that got the max out of the players in the recent past was John Allen before that we had to go back to Tom Ryan, they are different in a lot of ways.

I'd be interested to see what each of the last 10 managers (we've had 10 since Cody took over KK) have taken in monetary terms from the job. I think that there should be a set figure say €30K pa for the role irrespective of who you are, that would give reasonable compensation for giving your time and at the same time not be enough to encourage money grabbers.
    Any of the coaching roles ect would work back on a sliding scale from that.

I remember an article about Tipp under Liam Sheedy (who would be a top candidate IMO) where the whole infrastructure and personnel he put in place in 2010 was a cost of €1m so apart from KK would that be the going rate if we were intending on landing an AI?

I did a quick search to see what the current (execpt for TJ) managers do for a crust outside the GAA , its not 100% but the day job does have a big role to play on who realistically can give time for the Job. AFAIK Sheedy is in a senior role with one of the Banks so seriously doubt he'll be in the running.

KK - Brian Cody - Retired? Secondary School Teacher
    Waterford - Derek McGrath - Secondary School Teacher

Limerick - TJ Ryan - Sales - Printing Company
    Wexford - Liam Dunne - Sales - Oil Company
    Dublin - Ger Cunnigham - Sales Bord Gais

Clare - Davy Fitz - ??
    Cork - Kieran Kingston - ??
    Offaly - Eamonn Kelly - ??

Tipperary - Mick Ryan - Bank Offical

I don't like rating TJ as he is gone, but I'd be generous if I gave him 2.

Tipp have found themselves another good manager. They are out there.

But it can't all be about management, players haven't been good enough for 1 reason or another. The next manager is vital, get it wrong and a lot of the underage work is gone down the drain.

I would like somebody to come forward looking to take on the role with a team of people ready to come on board. I think looking at the way we played this year that a coach is the vital cog in the wheel. What was Dinny Cahill doing all year? Puc Fada competitions.
    We also have a serious lack of pace in our team. Nobody is able to break a tackle and burst away from an opponent like Clare were able to do to a few of our players.
    This is The Impossible Job. Its looks that way to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Pa Ranahan announced his retirement from inter-county football today.

Congratulations on a fine career. A very popular man in the dressing room.Was a great servant to Limerick for a decade on the field and is a mentor for the underage academy.

All the best in the future to the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    There will be a push for Daly, and I suspect it mightn't be met with too much resistance. He's already 'on the books' so it would represent a straight forward option. It's his to turn down really in my opinion.

I have some reservations but we could easily do worse and he's certainly an upgrade on what we had. Assemble the right backroom team around him and we'll do alright.

I'd agree with that he's far from ideal but from where we,r coming from he's a big upgrade I have reservations though and no matter who they pick it'll be a difficult choice and as already said if the wrong man is chosen our recent upturn in underage will all go for nought.
    Still you'd never know who'll they'll pick they're liable to do anything I'll always respect tj but am relieved he's gone and just pray he's the reason that so many of what I thought to be good quality inter county hurlers went down hill so fast cos if he wasn't we,ve a lot of holes to fix outside of the ones we know need fixing if you know what I mean

I'll rate this list:

What a load of nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

slegs wrote: »
    Would love to think Sheedy would be interested. Is that a real prospect or are people just throwing names about? If he can't do it then I would be ok with Daly or Kiely for different reasons.

No chance of Sheedy being interested. He will manage Tipp at somepoint in the future but no other county, Nicky English has always taken a similar stance.
    LMK wrote: »

Clare - Davy Fitz - ??
    Cork - Kieran Kingston - ??
    Offaly - Eamonn Kelly - ??

Tipperary - Mick Ryan - Bank Offical
    Eamonn Kelly is a branch manager with Acorn Life, having previously worked with BOI.

I would like somebody to come forward looking to take on the role with a team of people ready to come on board. I think looking at the way we played this year that a coach is the vital cog in the wheel. What was Dinny Cahill doing all year? Puc Fada competitions.
    We also have a serious lack of pace in our team. Nobody is able to break a tackle and burst away from an opponent like Clare were able to do to a few of our players.
    This is The Impossible Job. Its looks that way to me.

They could do worse than the Clare U21 manager, proven record over a consistent period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Looks like Kiely has said he'd be too busy for the manager role, I hope thats him just rying to avoid speculation though probably not would still like to see him involved as a selector if he cant take on the main role, any manager would want him in their corner surely.

Sheedy wont do it, Carey has another year on his contract, Kiely can't commit the time and Daly is a bluffer. Limerick need to move fast and get their house in order, get Anthony Cunningham before Dublin offer him a wheelbarrow of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

danganabu wrote: »
    Sheedy wont do it, Carey has another year on his contract, Kiely can't commit the time and Daly is a bluffer. Limerick need to move fast and get their house in order, get Anthony Cunningham before Dublin offer him a wheelbarrow of money.

Anthony Cunningham?? Jaysus no...prefer a left field nobody to him

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Realbhoy wrote: »
    I would argue that TJ is an excellent coach. I've seen him in operation and thought he did very well. !

what other coachs have you observed by way of comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

who outside of limerick would want it considering the endless civil wars in limerick

slegs wrote: »
    Anthony Cunningham?? Jaysus no...prefer a left field nobody to him

I would be no great fan of him from a personality perspective, but his CV is incredibly impressive and Limerick would be doing very well to get anyone of his calibre to even consider the position tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

I posted this around the league semi final, much to the annoyance of both Limerick and Waterford supporters.

Now, a re-evaluation is in order.

Waterford, as I suspected would be found out when they come up against a top team, and there is no better team to exploit weaknesses than Tipp. Back to the drawing board for them, although they are not as bad as today suggests.

We were trounced by Waterford so I suppose beating westmeath was as good we could hope for.

New manager is required, but players aren't blameless. An outside manager is the only realistic option.

As for the hurling championship itself, it's been shockingly poor.
    is not the standard of the championship reflected in the team, as i said on here a long time ago, forget about everything but getting out of our division, that has to be the holy grail, playing the like of westmeath etc will not increase our skill desire and everything else, but when we have to field players who are not fit is a sad reflection of our standards, wwould the much maglined tom ryan stand for it?

danganabu wrote: »

No thank you.

I'd urge caution on Cunningham, the last time we hired a manager who had less than 12 months previously had a panel of players refuse to play for him any longer it ended in disaster. If man management is lacking, and there is strong evidence to suggest that may be the case with Cunningham, then you might need to steer clear. If he can't get the players behind him it will only go downhill. And as we've unfortunately learned over the last 15 months, once you lose the players it's very unlikely you'll get them back.

I'm not saying don't even consider him, but I wouldn't give him that job without sitting down and analysing what exactly went wrong with the Galway panel and having some sort of assurance that lessons have been learned and that it won't happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

the first act has to be the removal of the county board, a clean sweep, otherwise we are wasting our time and folks hard earned money, with them out of the way some of the players will have no grannys aprons to hide behind, then hire a manager, give him complete control, make this clear to everyone, then on the first dign of dissent let him do whatever he thinks is required, otherwise we will be in 2073 we will celebrating the centenery of winning of the last all ireland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement