Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    I'd urge caution on Cunningham, the last time we hired a manager who had less than 12 months previously had a panel of players refuse to play for him any longer it ended in disaster. If man management is lacking, and there is strong evidence to suggest that may be the case with Cunningham, then you might need to steer clear. If he can't get the players behind him it will only go downhill. And as we've unfortunately learned over the last 15 months, once you lose the players it's very unlikely you'll get them back.

I'm not saying don't even consider him, but I wouldn't give him that job without sitting down and analysing what exactly went wrong with the Galway panel and having some sort of assurance that lessons have been learned and that it won't happen again.

He has never had any problems in any of his previous and successful spells, jaysus the dogs on the street know what happened in Galway and it was nothing to do with Cunningham or his man management at all.

Loughnane is a **** stirrer of the highest order and he went over the top and got personal but it was borne out of the way those players had treated Cunningham.

I'm not seeing to many viable alternatives, and the last time that happened you ended up with TJ, something worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

danganabu wrote: »
    He has never had any problems in any of his previous and successful spells, jaysus the dogs on the street know what happened in Galway and it was nothing to do with Cunningham or his man management at all.

Loughnane is a **** stirrer of the highest order and he went over the top and got personal but it was borne out of the way those players had treated Cunningham.

I'm not seeing to many viable alternatives, and the last time that happened you ended up with TJ, something worth considering.

Yes that's exactly what Limerick need a manager with a proven history of falling out with players.....like we haven't enough of that in our past

slegs wrote: »
    Yes that's exactly what Limerick need a manager with a proven history of falling out with players.....like we haven't enough of that in our past

Who do you suggest for the job?

And a history of falling out with players is a bit of an over exaggeration, he has been involved in top level management for 11 years with success at every job across two codes. And there is one example of him having a fallout with a known group of excuse makers.

There has always been a historic divide amongst the top clubs in Galway, one which has always held them back and will continue to do so, look at their under-age success compared to Senior. Cunningham was the fall guy as a result of this pathetic divide that continues to haunt Galway hurlers.

In fact one of the major reasons for his success was that when appointed his first act was to drop 12 of the previous years panel, and then went on to lead them to their most successful period at senior level since the 80's, I would have thought that was exactly the type of manager that Limerick needed, there is more deadwood in that panel than there is in the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

flutered wrote: »
    the first act has to be the removal of the county board, a clean sweep, otherwise we are wasting our time and folks hard earned money, with them out of the way some of the players will have no grannys aprons to hide behind, then hire a manager, give him complete control, make this clear to everyone, then on the first dign of dissent let him do whatever he thinks is required, otherwise we will be in 2073 we will celebrating the centenery of winning of the last all ireland

Correct. This won't happen though, too much politics.
    Who do you suggest for the job?

And a history of falling out with players is a bit of an over exaggeration, he has been involved in top level management for 11 years with success at every job across two codes. And there is one example of him having a fallout with a known group of excuse makers.

There has always been a historic divide amongst the top clubs in Galway, one which has always held them back and will continue to do so, look at their under-age success compared to Senior. Cunningham was the fall guy as a result of this pathetic divide that continues to haunt Galway hurlers.

In fact one of the major reasons for his success was that when appointed his first act was to drop 12 of the previous years panel, and then went on to lead them to their most successful period at senior level since the 80's, I would have thought that was exactly the type of manager that Limerick needed, there is more deadwood in that panel than there is in the Dail.

Cunningham would certainly not be the worst appointment.

If the U21s flop tonight or against Waterford, that's surely Kiely out of the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Are there 2 colin ryans? Who played right corner forward for us last year?

As the boys said its a nice to be physical, will do well to come thru here, cmon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Are there 2 colin ryans? Who played right corner forward for us last year?

As the boys said its a nice to be physical, will do well to come thru here, cmon

One Colin Ryan. Half back tonight.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Correct. This won't happen though, too much politics.

Cunningham would certainly not be the worst appointment.

If the U21s flop tonight or against Waterford, that's surely Kiely out of the running.

And flop they did. That Tipp team didn't impress me, but I always felt we'd be tested this year. The standard of U21 hurling outside of Munster is appalling. The AI is between Tipp/Waterford, and I'm backing Waterford.

Not the same vintage as last year for sure. The conditions suited tipp and they were worth the win.

Fairly hamstrung by inability to win high ball a condition that exists for all our teams.

Touch wasnt there and those involved with the seniors are inferior players to last year for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Go for djcarey If you could convince him.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Go for djcarey If you could convince him.

I've heard bad candidates being mentioned, and indeed very bad ones mentioned, but that chap tops it all of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

I suppose one silver lining (and a very slim one at that) from last night is that it's a bit of a reality check in terms of John Kiely, not for a second am I suggesting that he should be out of the running now but I think many were letting last year cloud their judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    I suppose one silver lining (and a very slim one at that) from last night is that it's a bit of a reality check in terms of John Kiely, not for a second am I suggesting that he should be out of the running now but I think many were letting last year cloud their judgement.
    You'd imagine the placement of Cian Lynch & allowing Ronan Maher to gather ball unmarked all evening is a serious blot on the copy book in that regard.

The lads involved with the seniors had the legs run off them the last month and the 2 weeks prior to the clare game in particular that was obvious from as far bac as the cork game. The senior management have taken them back at a rate of knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CillDioma

It will be ten more years before we win a senior all Ireland.

Half back line next year needs to be byrnes, BOC and Hegarty sort out our high ball issues and go from there a proper coach and who knows

trg wrote: »
    You'd imagine the placement of Cian Lynch & allowing Ronan Maher to gather ball unmarked all evening is a serious blot on the copy book in that regard.

Allowing Ronan Maher to be the free man was actually both comical and criminal, Tipp have one senior starter player, who's main strength is his positioning and his delivery, right we'll leave him as the sweeper, jesus wept! If it happened at an U12 match the coach would get a bollocking in the local!
    CillDioma wrote: »
    It will be ten more years before we win a senior all Ireland.

I admire your optimism :D

Allowing Ronan Maher to be the free man was actually both comical and criminal, Tipp have one senior starter player, who's main strength is his positioning and his delivery, right we'll leave him as the sweeper, jesus wept! If it happened at an U12 match the coach would get a bollocking in the local!

I admire your optimism :D

For a change there's been a few sensible comments on the thread, notably about Kiely. How we managed to lose that match is beyond belief.

We need a manager with senior experience. That's the prerogrative. We then need someone who has achieved success at that level.

From the above criteria only, should a manager be selected. Downside is it will result in a limited list, but the major benefit is it will eliminate the deadwood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

we can bring in brian cody, but unless the top table is revamped or confined to the schelligs it would not make one heck of a difference

flutered wrote: »
    we can bring in brian cody, but unless the top table is revamped or confined to the schelligs it would not make one heck of a difference

No.

The problem is cronies like TJ/Kiely are getting the manager's role. Cody would not get it, that's why a revamp is required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Minors back on track, 8 pt win over Wexford. SF v Dublin in 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

I was at the Na Piarsaigh football game at the weekend and Kevin Downes looked to pick up a bad injury shortly after coming on. Looked like his knee so here's hoping it's not as bad as it looked at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Was told by a nap man today it's his cruciate so long break for him if he's correct

• Registered Users Posts: 4 feckarse

lads who's going the get the job? of all the ones that's being mooted i'd like A. Cunningham.
    big game for the minors sunday after the mf, i'll head in. Dubs are supposed to be well good.

Dublin are decent but nothing special.no real standout individuals.fancy limerick myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Line-up :

13882545_1833316030224926_3353387625591136109_n.jpg?oh=0880bc847b7a0688658e9538f719a3a1&oe=585B7975

Looks like this one is over already, playing v well.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Very well done to the players and management today. Nice to be involved on the first sunday in september. I think it will be a replay of the munster final.Hopefully they are left prepare well and that the local media lads don't go overboard with the hype as has been known to happen.

Improvement required to trouble who ever we meet next. Dublin were quite poor. Underage hurling in Leinster is shambolic.

I was at dublin v.kilkenny in parnell park and it was a poor game.dublin drew level with a goal from the ladt puck and won in xtra time.deserved to win (just about on the day).however the 3 players to pick for senior imo were all from kilkenny tommy walsh played in intermediate final v clare yesterday.thomss donnelly and adrian mullen.getting players through is what minor hurling is all about.good luck in the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Dead right dubcat all about bringing players through thought limk were superb in first half today but poor ish in second hard to see Galway or tipp being beaten but fair play we,r there now and should be supported

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement