Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Doon already through, they don't need to beat Ballybrown, lose and Na Piarsaigh are out. Only Na Piarsaigh and Kilmallock have been better than Doon in the last 2/3 years, they are a strong contender, and I think it's pretty much a statement of fact that Na Piarsaigh's absence from the knockout stage removes a major obstacle in Doon's championship winning ambitions.

I would certainly not go as far to suggest they might "throw" the Ballybrown game but I wonder just how motivated they'll be heading into that game, given that a loss would be more beneficial in the long run. It's an interesting angle heading into that game.

I posted this at the end of May and here we are now with a round of group stage games still to play and All-Ireland champions Na Piarsaigh are now out. It was hardly an ingenious or insightful musing of mine at the time, chances are a lot of people wondered if this might happen.

As I said back then, I won't suggest Doon threw this game, but there are serious reservations over just how motivated they were to win this one. And this result certainly is an outlier over their last 3/4 years of championship games where only Na Piarsaigh and Kilmallock have surpassed them.

There could be fallout from this, might even have some proposing the return of a knockout format.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Can't agree with that, if you win your opening matches you're entitled to take your foot of the pedal later on. Barca often win their first 5 CL matches and then ease off when qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Can't agree with that, if you win your opening matches you're entitled to take your foot of the pedal later on. Barca often win their first 5 CL matches and then ease off when qualified.

its the one problem i have with a " group stage " championship , every county has a club league anyway , the best way is something like in cork or clare where there is a system that allows teams a second chance if they lose there first round game , i imagine if limerick adopted this process it would make for a better championship , yer teams that win the county championships seem to like the knock out stages in munster anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

I don't think the Doon result was a huge surprise when you consider they were missing pat Ryan,darragh Donovan, Richie English, dean Coleman, Mike Fitzgerald and Cathal McNamara. Any team would struggle without those lads and I don't think they have the strongest panel in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

There could be fallout from this, might even have some proposing the return of a knockout format.

Don't think Na Piarsaigh getting knocked out will change the structure but the one sided nature of a lot of the matches could. Would be a better championship if ran the same as Premier Intermediate with less teams. Some teams at senior this year have no business there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Realbhoy wrote: »
    I don't think the Doon result was a huge surprise when you consider they were missing pat Ryan,darragh Donovan, Richie English, dean Coleman, Mike Fitzgerald and Cathal McNamara. Any team would struggle without those lads and I don't think they have the strongest panel in the first place.

If tonight was a do-or-die game against NaP,Adare,PWell or Kilmallock how many of the above would be 'missing'
    Says it all about Limerick hurling really.
    P.S. i'm not from NaP

I never said a word against Doon though? It's not their fault the format is the way it is.

A fair question to be asked though; should the championship format allow a team to take their foot off the gas for one or two games? Has tonight not exposed a severe flaw with the format?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

A fair question to be asked though; should the championship format allow a team to take their foot off the gas for one or two games? Has tonight not exposed a severe flaw with the format?

More than that, it has shown a severe flaw in Limerick intercounty PLAYERS when at least half a dozen went 'missing' for a championship game.
    Happy in their own little bubble that they now have a chance of a softish medal sine the A.I. champs are out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Heard bally were 2/1 then backed into 8/15 before betting suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

washman3 wrote: »
    More than that, it has shown a severe flaw in Limerick intercounty PLAYERS when at least half a dozen went 'missing' for a championship game.
    Happy in their own little bubble that they now have a chance of a softish medal sine the A.I. champs are out of the way.
    Your spot on there with that comment, it's a bit insulting to Ballybrown and the championship, this will come back to bite Doon, what if na pairsaig don't bother against ballybrown and Doon end up with a tough quarter?? Ballybrown remain unbeaten in all this they deserve some credit , do they??

• Advertisement

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    Your spot on there with that comment, it's a bit insulting to Ballybrown and the championship, this will come back to bite Doon, what if na pairsaig don't bother against ballybrown and Doon end up with a tough quarter?? Ballybrown remain unbeaten in all this they deserve some credit , do they??

Absolutely, don't think anybody would have backed them to come out of this group, seemed a fairly straightforward top 3 of Na Piarsaigh, Kilmallock and Doon. They can only beat what's in front of them, and even had Doon fielded a full strength team you'd still have given them a fighting chance. They did draw with Kilmallock in the previous round, it's a shame Doon handed it to them on a plate because they had put themselves in an excellent chance to make the knockout stages on their own without assistance from anyone else.

They got what they deserved though. Na Piarsaigh left themselves far too much ground to make up after the first two rounds, the format may have worked against them, and I'd understand them feeling somewhat aggrieved at Doon's team selection, but they can only blame themselves for losing their first two games.

7 points from 8 for Ballybrown; no arguing with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

John Brudair has stepped down as manager of Limerick footballers.

He did alright in his first 2 years but 2016 was a letdown. In truth it was likely to end that way. Players such as Ger Collins, Seamus O’Carroll, Eoin Hanrahan, and Eoin O’Connor opted not to commit after 2014 and it seriously hurt any chance of progression. Ian Ryan (after a major injury) was the only outfield player that started in the championship games between the ages of 24 and 31. A panel with so few mid to late 20s players at senior is almost unheard of and that’s the situation Limerick found itself in this season.

This was coming really since the cork/kerry defeats in 2010. Underage football was decimated for a good 6-8 years before the academy was setup and we’re paying the price for the negligence now. Comparisons with Tipp and Clare are neither here nor there. Take out Gary Brennan, Peter Acheson and Conor Sweeney like what happened Limerick and they would be similar to us.

The outlook is grim. The 21s have turned a corner somewhat but you wont get the best out of them as a group at senior for another 3 to 4 years at best. And thats with everything going perfectly which is far from guaranteed. One of them Gearoid Hegarty who was moulded by Brudair is already gone. You can even point to the style they played this year as evidence of the struggle. The league was disastrous but the football, physique, fitness and mentality required to be successful was too much to ask for at large an under 23 squad. Championship was better but they had about 40-50% of players in the county available and Clare finished stronger. It’s no surprise Brudair left which such a hand at his disposal.

The next management team have a major task on their hands. I don’t imagine its going to be a sought after role and no big name will go near it. Talks of Liam Kearns and Donie Buckley already but they are all too aware of how tough Limerick is. Buckley left when Galvin, Lavin, Lucey etc turned 30 so he’ll likely stay well away from it with a sweetner the only chance of getting him. There’s a few good players there like Ian Corbett and Darragh Tracey that stepped up a bit this season at times and more to come like Stephen Cahill and Sean O’Dea but until the current panel gets older and more experienced or the players missing return we’ll still be rebuilding in 2017. Doesn’t matter who takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

In the hurling a 5 man selection committee including, oliver mann, mike riordan and joe McKenna

Great stuff altogether. Clubs given a week to nominate someone, none did.

Team for tomorrow - time to end that 32 year wait. Hon Limerick!

14212842_1846328668923662_6800791630293841500_n.jpg?oh=9a48a7460b355920cc8af7882cab1003&oe=5846E7A4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Can't see anything other than a heavy defeat for the minors, this looks to be an exceptional Tipp minor team.

They were beaten by Waterford in Munster & we beat Waterford so anything's possible.

They were beaten by Waterford in Munster & we beat Waterford so anything's possible.

Interesting, wasn't aware of that. They have improved though, Galway don't do bad minor teams and they thrashed them.

Our 1st half v Dublin was very impressive, if they can produce that for 60mins, must be in with a chance.

So 1 point down after 28 mins which isn't a disaster, ref seems to be giving Tipp a few soft frees, but I'm afraid they look the better team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I see Davy Fitzgerald is the new manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭chatjunkie

Vanolder wrote:
    I see Davy Fitzgerald is the new manager.

I hope this is a joke??????

• Advertisement

Always with that fella

Well done to the minors a team that over achieved I think

Whens the board meeting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Anthony Daly will he be given the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Paul Kinnerk looks set to coach Limerick senior hurling team next year. Expect manager to be appointed on Tuesday night @RTEgaa @RTEsport

Source Martin Kiely Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

Looks like it's Davy Fitzgerald

trg wrote: »
    Looks like it's Davy Fitzgerald

No chance in hell. If ollie and spike sanction this well its crazy. The mans a ticking time bomb too health wise. Just another distraction. Talk of Donal Og. Must be looking for planning in Limerick!

No Davy, no donal og please. Yes to Kinnerk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

sasta le wrote: »
    Anthony Daly will he be given the job?

its widely believed in clare that he will be manager for ye next year , but then again there is plenty of wafflers up here , i imagine its his if he wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Shane O Neill will be the next Limerick Manager. Kinnerk Trainer.

Good Source

What was back page man in about on twitter about the west awake for limerick hurling in 2017?

Its a brave one if Shane has been given the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Daly, Kinnerk and Tommy Dunne.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement