Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Vanolder wrote: »
    Daly, Kinnerk and Tommy Dunne.

I prefered when you said it was davy fitz . . .

This sounds accurate enough to what i have heard . But the rumor mill is in overdrive at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

That could be quite a good appointment, but a risky one.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Lurker here, don't post much in this arean. But as someone born in LImerick, I am frustrated at our lack of success on a national level.

My understanding talking to people who are serious hurling people in the county is that what was needed for this new appointment was an outsider who would not be under obligation to the county board. Also, club loyalties would not be an issue. Best of luck to Shane on his appointment and hopefully he will being us over the line.

But, I genuinely do hope that in 2-3 years time we will not be looking back reflecting on this appointment as a lost opportunity to take county board politics out of the dressing room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monicaali

Link doesn't work.
    it worked a few minutes ago, now it doesn't

monicaali wrote: »
    it worked a few minutes ago, now it doesn't
    IT must have taken it down. Maybe its not true????? Or unverified?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

cnoc wrote: »
    What is/was the gist of this article?

They said that Shane O'Neill was to be announced as the new Limerick manager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Yeah that was it. Not sure why its been taken down.
    @MartinKiely1

Would not be surprised if Limerick hurling manager announced later tonight @RTEgaa @morningireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

This is fu*kin amateur stuff at the highest level. As soon as it was decided it should have been announced for ratification tuesday night.

article said: daly was not interested in it, cunningham wasn't approached, kinnerk would work with o neill

Limerick GAA official page on Facebook.

Limerick Senior Hurling Management team:
    The five man committee consisting of Joe McKenna, Oliver Mann, Bernard Duggan, Brendan O Connor and Mike O Riordan ratified at the August County Committee to return to with the next Limerick Senior Hurling Management team wish to bring forward for ratification at Management tomorrow evening John Kiely - Manager, Paul Kinnerk - Coach, Joe O Connor S & C Coach and Jimmy Quilty - selector with one more selector to be appointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

John Kiely as manager would limerick people be happy with that choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

cul beag wrote: »

I believe people will be happy with the management team. Huge issues last year with the coach and manager on the line.
    This appears from the outside to be a complete team put together although minus a selector.
    Apparently Donal og pulled out of race over weekend according to a panelist. Sounds like they were kept well informed of all negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

This looks good

Jimmy quilty? Was he with ballyhae?

He was, this is greaat news, I'm very happy with this. We will be contenders next year. Delighted donal og isnt there, one more good selector and we're in great shape

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

This looks good

Jimmy quilty? Was he with ballyhae?

He was, this is greaat news, I'm very happy with this. We will be contenders next year. Delighted donal og isnt there, one more good selector and we're in great shape

I'd have liked Cusack but this is even better. O'Connor and Kinnerk are top notch and kiely is the best possible manager we could have gotten IMO. This is brilliant news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

as long as oliver mann has no say in things we will be not too bad, if he is around the sideline issueing orders then we are where we are,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

talking to a guy todaay who has a son on the -16 squad, he says the kid has to supply his own water and bananna's, if thats the truth then the co board are bananna's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

old boy wrote: »
    as long as oliver mann has no say in things we will be not too bad, if he is around the sideline issueing orders then we are where we are,

Get the impression kiely wont accept any nonsense

cul beag wrote: »

It's a disgraceful decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Rightwing wrote: »

Why so?

Quintis wrote: »
    Why so?

Kiely is a nobody, okay he may have political connections, but this isn't enough. Was found wanting against an extremely limited Tipp U21 team this year.That match cruelly exposed his limitations, just as I predicted, all he could do was open his mouth and watch.

The others are good appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Out of interest, who would you have picked.?

washman3 wrote: »
    Out of interest, who would you have picked.?

It's complicated, as we don't know who was in the running. I posted this back in July when discussing the job, someone posted a possible list of canditates. We got one of the worst out there. No question about that.

I'll rate this list:

Sheedy: 8.5/10
    Cunningham: 6
    Carey: 4.5
    Kiely: 2.5
    O Neill: 5
    Sparrow: .5
    Allen: 4

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Unbelievable rubbish , we have a committed man with quality back room team who knows a lot of the players , sheedy delivered an Ireland in 2010 and walked away with everyone thinking he is a guru , maybe he is , let's get behind our county for once

It's complicated, as we don't know who was in the running. I posted this back in July when discussing the job, someone posted a possible list of canditates. We got one of the worst out there. No question about that.

I'll rate this list:

Sheedy: 8.5/10
    Cunningham: 6
    Carey: 4.5
    Kiely: 2.5
    O Neill: 5
    Sparrow: .5
    Allen: 4

Next to Cody, Sheedy is always the obvious choice. Money is not a problem (we think) but he has always refused to manage any county outside of Tipp. If and when he returns to management it will only be Tipp. Full stop. Rule him out.
    Ger Cunningham, many in Dublin are very unhappy with him. Too nice a guy for Limerick, would end up like Justin,DOG and Allen.
    Anthony Cunninghan, not interested.
    Carey, may be a good choice, but you only rate him 4.5.
    His 'past' will always count against him (in Limerick anyway)
    Sparrow, done great thing in club management. However, we don't see any county teams queueing up for him.
    Shane O'Neill, proven at club, but that's some club. Many other club managers in Limerick would probably have achieved the same with NP.
    Kiely, won a 21 title with a good team. One thing I liked about him is the way that team improved with each game last year. Could have lost the first game V Tipp in G/Grounds but by the time the AI final came around they would have hammered any team.
    This year, his team were severely disrupted due to lads on the senior panel.

So the pool of proven managers is quite small, very small in fact.
    I would have gone for Carey.
    Who would you have picked.?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monicaali

Unbelievable rubbish , we have a committed man with quality back room team who knows a lot of the players , sheedy delivered an Ireland in 2010 and walked away with everyone thinking he is a guru , maybe he is , let's get behind our county for once

true, choice is made, it is what it is, let's get behind him and the players now, LUIMNEACH ABU

• Advertisement

Agree on that. Sheedy is like a boxer that becomes world champion once but then retires on the spot without giving a rematch or facing up and coming opponents. Nobody will ever know how good he actually was.
    That was a super Tipp team that had been building to that title for quite some time, and Kilkenny lost Tennyson before the game and Shefflin early on.
    Little wonder he is reluctant to return to management, treated like a Guru, writes for a newspaper, works for a bank, cushy number on Sunday Game, advisor to club teams all over Munster at this time of year.
    Talk about a win-win situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement