Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

washman3 wrote: »
    Agree on that. Sheedy is like a boxer that becomes world champion once but then retires on the spot without giving a rematch or facing up and coming opponents. Nobody will ever know how good he actually was.
    That was a super Tipp team that had been building to that title for quite some time, and Kilkenny lost Tennyson before the game and Shefflin early on.
    Little wonder he is reluctant to return to management, treated like a Guru, writes for a newspaper, works for a bank, cushy number on Sunday Game, advisor to club teams all over Munster at this time of year.
    Talk about a win-win situation.
    I'd be inclined to agree with you he won't be in any hurry back with all the cushy numbers he has going at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Next to Cody, Sheedy is always the obvious choice. Money is not a problem (we think) but he has always refused to manage any county outside of Tipp. If and when he returns to management it will only be Tipp. Full stop. Rule him out.
    Ger Cunningham, many in Dublin are very unhappy with him. Too nice a guy for Limerick, would end up like Justin,DOG and Allen.
    Anthony Cunninghan, not interested.
    Carey, may be a good choice, but you only rate him 4.5.
    His 'past' will always count against him (in Limerick anyway)
    Sparrow, done great thing in club management. However, we don't see any county teams queueing up for him.
    Shane O'Neill, proven at club, but that's some club. Many other club managers in Limerick would probably have achieved the same with NP.
    Kiely, won a 21 title with a good team. One thing I liked about him is the way that team improved with each game last year. Could have lost the first game V Tipp in G/Grounds but by the time the AI final came around they would have hammered any team.
    This year, his team were severely disrupted due to lads on the senior panel.

So the pool of proven managers is quite small, very small in fact.
    I would have gone for Carey.
    Who would you have picked.?

I'm talking about A Cunningham. I agree lot about Sheedy, but he is a winner, and how many counties would like Sheedy, now how many would be queueing up for kiely?
    So of the available ones, I'd take Cunningham, he as inter county experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'm talking about A Cunningham. I agree lot about Sheedy, but he is a winner, and how many counties would like Sheedy, now how many would be queueing up for kiely?

Correct, he is a winner. won 1 A.I. lost 1 the previous year that he could've won
    Based on results every county would want him but he's not interested, so no point even talking about him. Because he walked away on a winning note we'll never know how good he is anyway.
    A.Cunningham also not interested (so we hear). Gifted Kilkenny last year's final. Not a winner yet. Clare may be needing a manager soon, lets see if they approach him. Time will tell how many counties want him.
    So who would take Kiely.?
    Kilkenny- will always be a kk manager
    Tipp- likewise
    Cork-likewise
    Waterford- present guy going nowhere any time soon
    Galway-likewise
    Dublin- some unhappy with G.Cunningham but if the absent players return next year that may change.

So saying no other county would want him is a bit of a strawman argument.
    What other county would want the present Galway manager at the start of this year. Most had hardly heard of him before. Only lost to Tipp by a point. Lost Canning in the first half. Lost the best ball winning forward in the country to emigration before the season began.
    I wouldn't write off Kiely just because he's not a proven winner.
    More importantly, its about a management team nowadays, not just a manager.
    My choice would've been Carey, but would Kinnerk etc work with him? maybe, maybe not. These are the things that are sometimes overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Correct, he is a winner. won 1 A.I. lost 1 the previous year that he could've won
    Based on results every county would want him but he's not interested, so no point even talking about him. Because he walked away on a winning note we'll never know how good he is anyway.
    A.Cunningham also not interested (so we hear). Gifted Kilkenny last year's final. Not a winner yet. Clare may be needing a manager soon, lets see if they approach him. Time will tell how many counties want him.
    Tipp- likewise
    Cork-likewise
    Galway-likewise
    Dublin- some unhappy with G.Cunningham but if the absent players return next year that may change.

What other county would want the present Galway manager at the start of this year. Most had hardly heard of him before. Only lost to Tipp by a point. Lost Canning in the first half. Lost the best ball winning forward in the country to emigration before the season began.
    My choice would've been Carey, but would Kinnerk etc work with him? maybe, maybe not. These are the things that are sometimes overlooked.

Don't be too sure about our fella. Alot of problems behind the scenes that could surface yet. Suffice to say all is not rosy in the garden!

cul beag wrote: »
    Don't be too sure about our fella. Alot of problems behind the scenes that could surface yet. Suffice to say all is not rosy in the garden!

Yet you boys were only a sliver away from making the final. Should definitely have taken the Cats first day out. I blame sheer hard luck rather than management.
    Same with Galway, I feel they definitely would have taken Tipp if Canning wasn't injured. And their best ball winner in USA this year, a player that Paudie Maher cannot handle at all.
    Could easily have been a Waterford/Galway final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Rightwing wrote: »

cunningham has the dressing room lost for the last two seasons he was in charge, sheedy has been well described by another poster, what is wrong with a young manager, he has made mistakes sure, if he can learn from them great, his backroom team lookes to be first class, can they transfer some of their class to him, that would be the icing on the cake, the elephant in the room is the county chairman, he should not be allowed anywhere near the sideline on on traing or match days, the pic of him on the sideline with a limerick top and track bottoms on in a recent edition of the leader was a warning to the folks who did not put their names forward for the job

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

When was the last time an external manager won an AI? All the best managers come from within counties, all the top counties have managers from within.

Limerick's constant looking to external managers hasn't gone well all the time.

Kiely has an excellent track record and probably the perfect trajectory of stepping up in responsibility the last 8 years, including senior selector, intermediate manager, u21 manager and now senior manager. He also is spoken very highly of by players that have played under him and I think it can be seen in the play of our AI winning u21 team that he has a bit of tactical acumen.

Kinnerk and O'Connor bring excellent experience and expertise as well. This is the best possible set up we could have gotten.

To suggest that Cunningham, who in all fairness came close to success with Galway but ultimately lost the support of his own players to the extent that they thought he was holding them back, is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Tipp- likewise
    Cork-likewise
    Galway-likewise

I'd also have no problem with Carey, but maybe not tactically not astute enough.

I'm expecting the following under kiley, and yes, it can be bookmarked:

Season 1: Abject failure. But he needs time.
    Season 2: Win promotion from Div 1 b, munster final appearance.
    Season 3: Relegated from league. 1 championship win v Laois or another also ran that shouldn't even be in the competiton. Runs out of excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Congrats to cappamore and monaleen on promotion. Was at the cappamore game and were worth the win probably a bit more to offer as senior than gary tbh.

If/when bruee are relegated kilmallock will be the only senior team in south limerick, great to see the city coming back and seeing hurling growing but south limerick needs to keep producing good quality teams and hurlers too.

Saw JK at the match yesterday, standing with the crowd, first time I've seen a limerick manager doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Congrats to cappamore and monaleen on promotion. Was at the cappamore game and were worth the win probably a bit more to offer as senior than gary tbh.

If/when bruee are relegated kilmallock will be the only senior team in south limerick, great to see the city coming back and seeing hurling growing but south limerick needs to keep producing good quality teams and hurlers too.

Saw JK at the match yesterday, standing with the crowd, first time I've seen a limerick manager doing that

Not surprised to see jk there at all his team were playing after all plus he is the manager I tell you if anyone was at the matches today in the Gaelic grounds they wouldn't be under any illusions as to the task jk and team face if the standard of the first game is to go by absolutely shocking is the only way to describe it. The well v doon match was good standard though but doon were missing too many to beat them. For me the winners will come from Patrick well or Kilmallock and think kil will win it out.

Serious congrats to monaleen on promotion delighted another city team joins the senior ranks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I'm a Patrickswell man but unfortunately it's gonna be a Kilmallock v Adare final with Kilmallock winning it but not progressing too far in Munster. If we do manage to beat Kilmallock, we're not carrying enough form to beat an in form Adare side. I suppose the only thing is, there's a big rivalry there so anything can happen but we haven't been going too well this year

lim4ev wrote: »
    Not surprised to see jk there at all his team were playing after all plus he is the manager I tell you if anyone was at the matches today in the Gaelic grounds they wouldn't be under any illusions as to the task jk and team face if the standard of the first game is to go by absolutely shocking is the only way to describe it. The well v doon match was good standard though but doon were missing too many to beat them. For me the winners will come from Patrick well or Kilmallock and think kil will win it out.

Serious congrats to monaleen on promotion delighted another city team joins the senior ranks

Club games in Tipp at the moment are absolutely dire too and they are AI champs.
    The standard of club games in late September/early October give little or no indication as to how a county team will perform next season. It just gives the barstool experts a topic of conversation.
    John Kiely already knows exactly what every player in the county is or isn't capable of.

Delighted for Monaleen too. Fine outfit there.
    BTW where are the aforementioned barstool experts now that predicted the complete collapse of GAA in the city some years back when the Munster Rugby bandwagon was in full swing.

Colemania wrote: »
    I'm a Patrickswell man but unfortunately it's gonna be a Kilmallock v Adare final with Kilmallock winning it but not progressing too far in Munster. If we do manage to beat Kilmallock, we're not carrying enough form to beat an in form Adare side. I suppose the only thing is, there's a big rivalry there so anything can happen but we haven't been going too well this year

I agree with you on Kilmallock winning it out but disagree re them going far in Munster I actually think they're a few points better than they were when they got to the all Irl final a few years ago can see the well beating them but not adare surely?

Club games in Tipp at the moment are absolutely dire too and they are AI champs.
    The standard of club games in late September/early October give little or no indication as to how a county team will perform next season. It just gives the barstool experts a topic of conversation.
    John Kiely already knows exactly what every player in the county is or isn't capable of.

Delighted for Monaleen too. Fine outfit there.
    BTW where are the aforementioned barstool experts now that predicted the complete collapse of GAA in the city some years back when the Munster Rugby bandwagon was in full swing.

Not sure if jk knows what every player is capable of he'd be some man if he did. Re the city there's still a lot of areas in inner Limerick city you'd never see a Hurley in but it's great to see monaleen snr and hopefully mungret can come up in a few yrs time too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Come on the well!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Number 3 looks the one

Wayne McNamara retired, a fella who always gave it his all, disappointed to see him go, all the best to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Wayne McNamara retired, a fella who always gave it his all, disappointed to see him go, all the best to him

A decent enough servant to be fair. Was probably the first individual success of the O'Grady/Allen years. The goal against Waterford in 2011 was one of the finest moves in Limerick hurling I had watched in years. Set the tone for at least the next 3 years in championship.

His lack of fitness went against him at the finish but he was in between the Justin debacle and the post 2014 decline which was terrible timing for him.

Good luck to him.

• Advertisement

2017 Squad

The squad in full is:

Declan Hannon (Adare)
    John Fitzgibbon (Adare)
    Dan Morrissey (Ahane)
    Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    Richie McCarthy (Blackrock)
    Paul Browne (Bruff)
    Sean Finn (Bruff)
    Richie English (Doon)
    Pat Ryan (Doon)
    Darragh O’Donovan (Doon)
    Nicky Quaid (Effin)
    Seamus Flanagan (Feoghanagh-Castlemahon)
    David McCarthy (Glenroe)
    Kyle Hayes (Kildimo-Pallaskenry)
    Barry O’Connell (Kildimo-Pallaskenry)
    Gavin O’Mahoney (Kilmallock)
    Barry Hennessy (Kilmallock)
    Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)
    Robbie Egan (Kilmallock)
    Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock)
    Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen)
    Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen)
    Seamus Hickey (Murroe-Boher)
    Seanie Tobin (Murroe-Boher)
    Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)
    Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh)
    Michael Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    David Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen)
    Seanie O’Brien (Patrickswell)
    Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell)
    Kevin O’Brien (Patrickswell)
    Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)
    Barry Nash (South Liberties)
    Gearóid Hegarty (St Patrick’s)
    Stephen Cahill (Tournafulla)

Paidi O'Brien not there any other absentees?

Paidi O'Brien not there any other absentees?

James Ryan also missing

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Downes currently injured but no mention of players not considered due to injury, surely not left out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭big_drive

How many goalkeepers in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

@big drive, that's an interesting question. David McCarthy and Barry Hennessy for sure are goalies and obviously Nicky as well but I'm just wondering out loud are management thinking about Nicky outfield? Saw him in action a few times during the summer with Effin and did well. I know it's been thrashed out here a few times but a half back line of D Byrnes, himself and G Hegarty would be formidable I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

Delighted to see Seanie Tobin back. A hugely underrated corner forward and free taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hockied

Realbhoy wrote: »
    @big drive, that's an interesting question. David McCarthy and Barry Hennessy for sure are goalies and obviously Nicky as well but I'm just wondering out loud are management thinking about Nicky outfield? Saw him in action a few times during the summer with Effin and did well. I know it's been thrashed out here a few times but a half back line of D Byrnes, himself and G Hegarty would be formidable I think.

I dont think hegarty is ready . He looked o.k in u21 but from everything I saw I put it down to superb passes from barry o connel out to both wings. I would like to see him given a proper chance at 6 again with byrnes at wing . He gives great support to full back line too. Hegarty isnt close to him yet. Well time will tell won't it... Not to be cruel but what has hickey to offer any more? Time to cull.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

Not to be cruel but what has hickey to offer any more? Time to cull.[/quote]

Agreed

• Advertisement

I'd agree re Hegarty not being ready I wouldn't be 100 percent sure but not sure of the options outside of Hegarty I wouldn't agree re hickey I think with new management he and others his age can contribute

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement