Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

All in all fairly well as expected, good to see Seamus Flanagan and kyle Hayes, they'll learn a lot from it to bring to u21s, can't see them getting into a championship panel just yet. Stephen Cahill is a surprise, he's a corner back is he? Delighted to see Seamus Tobin back too.
    Surprised there's no James Ryan or paudie o Brien, might just be taking time off, don't think Kiely would drop them without them getting a chance first...no mention of k downes, he might be using the old tom ryan tactic of leaving injured players off the panel until they are fit.
    As he did with the u21 ai team he'll focus a bit on the half back line first, might try the u21 line in its entirety...although could see gom in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

James Ryan, David Reidy, Paudie O'Brien and William O'Donoghue the notable omissions. Kevin Downes is injured.

Kyle Hayes the only one of this year's minors to make next year's senior panel, great young hurler, will be great experience for him.

There are rumours JimBob Ryan might be back in the New Year, we will be very small and light in midfield without him.

I hope to see plenty of the All Ireland winning U21s in the team next year. Luimneach Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Great win for adare today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Limerick (Munster SHL v Waterford): Nickie Quaid; Seanie O Brien, Richie McCarthy, Mike Casey; Diarmaid Byrnes, Seamus Hickey, Declan Hannon; John Fitzgibbon, Gavin O Mahony; Gearoid Hegarty, Alan Dempsey, David Dempsey; Sean Tobin, Tom Morrissey, Graeme Mulcahy.

First team of the year and its a doozie, dont like a lot of that but he's trying to sort problem areas from day 1 so good luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hockied

Best of luck to the team today. Looks like john kiely will put out an almost completely different team next day out. I take it this is not the panel they have decided on? Early days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Full time

Limerick won 24 points to 1-14

Will take the win and at least the alan Dempsey situation has been resolved, not that you would have needed to be a genius like!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Will take the win and at least the alan Dempsey situation has been resolved, not that you would have needed to be a genius like!

What has been resolved and in what way?

What has been resolved and in what way?

Well he's in panel and starts first game at CF scoring 7, I'd say he's a big part of coaches plans. If you wanted to say his position hasn't been sorted then say that rather than posing a question like that, not here to 2nd guess thanks

Alan dempsey is a nice player alright. . My understanding is no panel finalised. Next day will be different. There is still 40 lads on the panel... is that right?? This is kiely trying lads out. Those omitted yesterday will be in next time surely.

• Advertisement

Well he's in panel and starts first game at CF scoring 7, I'd say he's a big part of coaches plans. If you wanted to say his position hasn't been sorted then say that rather than posing a question like that, not here to 2nd guess thanks

I was curious about your own view.
    Sunday he was marking a player who was not on the under 21 team last year and may not make it this year either.
    Waterford started with only one championship player and took off four of their stronger players at half time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

It's January, sure Pat Begley and Adrian Breen were on fire in January two years ago but didn't last the pace once the league started. I wouldn't go counting on Alan Dempsey definitely making the final panel of 30/32. I like him as a player but to be honest I'd be fairly surprised if he was a starter come championship time. I do hope he is given a fair chance this time, it doesn't strike me as though he was given a fair crack of the whip in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    It's January, sure Pat Begley and Adrian Breen were on fire in January two years ago but didn't last the pace once the league started. I wouldn't go counting on Alan Dempsey definitely making the final panel of 30/32. I like him as a player but to be honest I'd be fairly surprised if he was a starter come championship time. I do hope he is given a fair chance this time, it doesn't strike me as though he was given a fair crack of the whip in the past.

He was the best player for the all Ireland club champions yet wasn't on the county panel last year, and not given much of a chance before that. At the very least, that situation has been resolved.

I was curious about your own view.
    Sunday he was marking a player who was not on the under 21 team last year and may not make it this year either.
    Waterford started with only one championship player and took off four of their stronger players at half time

Not dempseys fault, and I think he will start at midfield for us this year with pat ryan, both are more accurate than browne, though any of the 3 would be excellent impact players off the bench

He was the best player for the all Ireland club champions yet wasn't on the county panel last year, and not given much of a chance before that. At the very least, that situation has been resolved.

You'd swear it was some ongoing saga or some kind of catastrophic injustice. It's as simple as a guy who has been showing strongly of late being recalled to the panel after a previous unsuccessful stint on the panel. I hope it works out for him this time, and I believe when the cut to 32 is made that he will still be involved, but for now he remains totally unproven at this level, there's a reason plenty of excellent club hurlers don't succeed at county level.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Made it down to the McGrath cup game tonight. First of all well done to St Pats on the organisation. Plenty stewards and in and out was very smooth. The match itself was good given its so early in the season. Limerick were really up for it and you got the sense that they all wanted to impress the new management team. Having seen them in the championship against the same opposition the direct play was a sight to behold!! Backs were solid and I thought Iain Corbett in particular stood out. Midfield was fine as was the half forward line with Danny Neville causing a lot of trouble. Inside OCarroll and McSweeney were very good. Overall Limerick looked very very fit and hit hard. A very good first night out

Not dempseys fault, and I think he will start at midfield for us this year with pat ryan, both are more accurate than browne, though any of the 3 would be excellent impact players off the bench

as a clare fan I fully endorse this selection

as a clare fan I fully endorse this selection

We'll just have to wait and see

Jimbob back and aaron cunninghams auld fella is our new goal keeping coach (may as well just give us the all Ireland now)

Very experimental side for sunday, cork almost full strenght be up against it.

Notable that Alan Dempsey is one of two players to keep his place

Not great today but it is early days. Backs were poor. Reluctant to single lads out too much but thought full back line and one wing back didnt turn up. Left center back and other wing trying to cover full backs too and with a center field hurling poorly. Some forwards hardly touched ball too. Looked like a very off day . They can do better. All of them. Hard for anyone to shine with so few stepping up to the mark . But now is the time for this, not later. We will see on wednesday in sixmilebridge. Hopefully steady improvement from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Greensoup

Great username considering the result.😊

Greensoup wrote: »
    Great username considering the result.😊

Very good. . Maybe I should change it. It's a bit too appropriate far too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

how inexperienced was the limerick side today , for the big attendance in the gaelic grounds was it a poor call by the management , granted no one really looks into this competition with any great interest ,everyone just wants the league to start but that is a terrible scoreline .

big backlash in sixmilebridge next wednesday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

how inexperienced was the limerick side today , for the big attendance in the gaelic grounds was it a poor call by the management , granted no one really looks into this competition with any great interest ,everyone just wants the league to start but that is a terrible scoreline .

big backlash in sixmilebridge next wednesday night?
    Its was an inexperienced side and it is January but there must be some worry about conceding 7 goals at home, especially with Richie English, the full back heir apparent, having a bad day to go with Richie's shaky day last week, half forward line was cleaned, worrying as you would hope one or 2 of lynch, Dempsey would be stepping up. You would think some of that team has played themselves off the panel with that failure, here's hoping for a reaction against clare on Wednesday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Where are all the Kiely worshippers now. I predicted this disaster would unfold.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Where are all the Kiely worshippers now. I predicted this disaster would unfold.

Christ on a bike, I say this as someone who also has serious reservations over his appointment, but would you ever grow up? To take satisfaction out of yesterday's disastrous result and use it for the purposes of childish I told you so one-upmanship is rather pathetic.

Plenty of people had reservations over Kiely, but there are two kinds of people within that, those who want to be proven right, and those who want to be proven wrong. I desperately want and hope for Kiely to prove me wrong, and if he doesn't you won't see me here gloating about being right.

Incidentally, disastrous and all as yesterday was, the biggest disgrace was some of the abuse hurled at Kiely and the players by some so called "fans". Not the worst I've ever witnesses mind you, the Offaly game in 2008 still holds that "honour", but that was a championship match, we're only halfway through January at the moment ffs...

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Christ on a bike, I say this as someone who also has serious reservations over his appointment, but would you ever grow up? To take satisfaction out of yesterday's disastrous result and use it for the purposes of childish I told you so one-upmanship is rather pathetic.

Plenty of people had reservations over Kiely, but there are two kinds of people within that, those who want to be proven right, and those who want to be proven wrong. I desperately want and hope for Kiely to prove me wrong, and if he doesn't you won't see me here gloating about being right.

Incidentally, disastrous and all as yesterday was, the biggest disgrace was some of the abuse hurled at Kiely and the players by some so called "fans". Not the worst I've ever witnesses mind you, the Offaly game in 2008 still holds that "honour", but that was a championship match, we're only halfway through January at the moment ffs...

Fair up to a point. But, knowledgeable hurling people have a right to raise questions.
    I won't complain or derive any satisfaction if proven right and he is given the sack after a year. Beyond that, and one can only laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Rightwing wrote:

HanaleiJ5N wrote:

Is it fair to ask lads why ye think he was the wrong appointment?
    As an outsider looking in he seems to tick all the boxes.
    Obviously an intelligent fella looking at his career and very successful in terms if his graduation to senior management.

Is it fair to ask lads why ye think he was the wrong appointment?
    As an outsider looking in he seems to tick all the boxes.
    Obviously an intelligent fella looking at his career and very successful in terms if his graduation to senior management.

Little credentials. We must be realistic and admit the U21 championship is poor. Win Munster and you more or less win that. Is that enough to give him the main job? This year in the U21 was telling. How Limk managed to lose to a desperately limited tipp team was worrying. Waterford promptly blew tipp out of the water.
    Was it not a risk going for a more proven manager, with maybe a little senior experience? Our past U21's managers have total failures at senior level.

I provided a managerial list a while back and I gave him a rating of 2/10. Beginning to think I was generous on the day.

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    Fair up to a point. But, knowledgeable hurling people have a right to raise questions.
    I won't complain or derive any satisfaction if proven right and he is given the sack after a year. Beyond that, and one can only laugh.

Do you know someone knowledgeable about hurling? What question should these knowledgeable hurling people raise? You haven't raised any question, just taking pleasure in claiming to be right. A bit immature but also premature on second day out and first loss and with experimental team and trying out players. Are people really so petty? If you are a supporter do not post such poisonous rubbish. But never claim to be knowledgeable. What is YOUR contribution to limerick hurling? Making negative comments here? Unconstructive silly childish negative comments? Try putting in the hours, for years and years into limerick gaa like john kiely has done. Or practically giving over your 20s to diet, training, playing the game like the limerick players do . Manager, players deserve a bit of respect and support.... beyond their second game in january.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement