Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    A Cork win in Sixmilebridge (or an extremely unlikely win for Clare by 26+ points) and we're in the final. Clare might not fulfill that fixture though, seeking a two day postponement to Friday.

The extra game would be useful, we're going to have to hit the ground running in the league, defeat to Wexford in the first round would almost certainly rule out promotion at the first hurdle. Cork again would be a good run out, they shouldn't be lacking in motivation to put in an actual performance against them this time....

I wouldn't agree if wex do beat us they still have to go to Galway and Galway to us so even though it'd be a serious blow it might not be fatal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

lim4ev wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree if wex do beat us they still have to go to Galway and Galway to us so even though it'd be a serious blow it might not be fatal

Best to take all the "if's" out of the equation and not be depending on the results of other games to go our way. We really need 5 wins in my opinion, or four wins and a draw providing the draw doesn't come against Galway. If it comes down to level points and scoring difference I wouldn't back us to outscore Galway... Not ruling Wexford out either, but I'd be more confident of outscoring them in a level points scenario, they'll fancy their chances of turning us over, do that and they have a massive opportunity 6 days later to almost seal promotion up in Galway. Would make for one hell of a story if they pull that off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Can't believe the match is being played in the gaelic grounds FFS. Play it in kilmallock and get a much bigger crowd and an actually bit of atmosphere, will be dead as a maggot in the GG.

Should have been a Cork venue really, their reward for topping the table and hammering us senseless at our place is another trip to our place...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Should have been a Cork venue really, their reward for topping the table and hammering us senseless at our place is another trip to our place...
    Yea, why not Pairc Ui Rinn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Team for Sunday

Nickie Quaid (Effin); Stephen Cahill (Tournafulla), Richie McCarthy (Blackrock), Mike Casey (Na Piarsaigh);
    Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell), Declan Hannon (Adare), Seamus Hickey (Murroe-Boher);
    Paul Browne (Bruff), James Ryan (Garryspillane);
    Gearoid Hegarty (St Patricks), Cian Lynch (Patrickswell), Kyle Hayes (Kildimo-Pallaskenry);
    Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh), Barry Nash (South Liberties), Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock).

James Ryan captain for the year

Not sure about Jimbob starting sunday or being captain, is a leader for sure but does he really have the ability for top level. good set of backs for sunday wont be conceding 7 goals for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭big_drive

Surprised to see Ryan named as captain. Wouldn't have thought he'd even be certain to be on team. I think then if a captain isn't a regular starter it leads to issues

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Did anyone hear Aidan O'Mahony on RTE radio sport today? If so, what Limerick footballer did he name among top footballers he marked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

cnoc wrote: »
    Did anyone hear Aidan O'Mahony on RTE radio sport today? If so, what Limerick footballer did he name among top footballers he marked?[/QUOTE

Stephen Kelly. They had some great battles.
    Actually, fairly sure he said Kelly was his toughest opponent, because of his strength from playing rugby at the time and his lightening speed.
    Also mentioned that they are both Gardaí now, and both stationed in Tralee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

big_drive wrote: »
    Surprised to see Ryan named as captain. Wouldn't have thought he'd even be certain to be on team. I think then if a captain isn't a regular starter it leads to issues

The other options were : Quaid, but he has been captain for the last 2 years and may not be interested.
    Gavin, may not make a starting 15
    Hickey, enough on his plate as it stands, needs to get his own game on track first

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

There's not many guaranteed a starting spot though, quaid, p Browne, Dowling, c lynch, Byrnes, hannon maybe
    Ryan would be an example in training and preparation and would be a good example of hard work above pure talent that some of the younger lads might nerd reinforcing in

Up by 2 @ HT

Goal by David Dempsey

1-11 to 12 Points

Good to see an actual performance today. Not that it will stop some having it both ways- get hammered a few weeks back, stick the knife in even though it's only the pre season competition, if we win today and they'll suddenly remember that fact and dismiss success in the competition as it's only pre season, and sarcastically say nonsense like celebrate it like an All Ireland.

Going to the wire, all square with a few minutes left. Nice to get a good competitive run out ahead of the Wexford game in two weeks.

Cork goal at the death and they win by a point. Was a very good game by all accounts, now roll on Wexford...

Feck. Seems like a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Was Barry Nash prominent when moved to half-forward line?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

w2hen rasher castigated players for hitting the ball into empty space, ryan was interviewed and agreed with him, saying that, a few of the younger players may need a minder from time to time, no better man

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

cnoc wrote: »
    Was Barry Nash prominent when moved to half-forward line?

No is the simple answer to that one. Big news was m caseys performance at 4 on a top corner forward in cadogan also Dempsey and p casey did well(I promise I'm not a na piarsaigh man) also Kyle Hayes doesn't look out of place we,r in bother in hb line though Hannon isn't performing for me and gom has regressed going on today's performance so back to the drawing board there for me maybe hannon will grow into it but I have my doubts. Dempsey did well in hf line if that continued it could release Hegarty to go to hb line where he's surely worth a try. P casey also did well and g mul had one of his finest games in a long while going on today I reckon the team will look something like this it wouldn't be my team but I think twill be something like
    Quad,casey,Mac,English,Byrnes,hannon,hickey,Browne,Jim Bob,Hegarty,c lynch,Dempsey,mul Nash,p casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭limmyhulk

good team
    hegarty better half-back i think
    but i see where theyre going with his abrasive style in the forwards etc...
    really need to beat wexford and push on if we're to be taken seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 treklane

Very sad to lose a tight game in such a manner.we have to push on and get a result over Wexford.
    Think we are in a better place than last year.
    New chapter early days yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

No half back line and the full back line has been a disaster. Gonna be another short year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Hard to see why we struggle in half back line. Been traditionally our strongest line over the years. We have had nearly too many half backs in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Best of luck to the footballers tomorrow. Will be a tough assignment down in Wexford. I think the McGrath cup run will have given them a boost and they are playing a lovely brand of football. That division will be very competitive though with some big names looking to get back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

For anyone interested
    Limerick 1-19 Waterford 3-21 result in senior hurling challenge in Doon. Both had different teams in either half. Report online later #GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hurlingma

Taken this from facebook, Worth a read if your following the Limerick lads involvement in the Fitzgibbon

Irish Gaa Banter Page
    Fitzgibbon Cup Round 2 Roundup
    Thursday, February 02, 2017
    (A) 19.00 ITC 0-18 v Mary I 0-18
    (A) 14.00 GMIT 0-10 v DIT 3-15
    (B) 14.00 UL 2-21 v NUIG 2-12
    (B) 14.00 DCU St Pats 0-10 v CIT 3-15
    (C) 19.00 Trinity 1-8 v WIT 4-15
    (C) 19.00 DCU 0-15 v Limerick IT 2-12
    (D) 14.00 UUJ 1-7 v Maynooth 4-23
    (D) 15.00 UCD 1-5 v UCC 1-8

A
    Mary I (+21): W D - DIT (A)
    ITC (+12): W D - GMIT(A)
    DIT (+2): L W - DIT (H)
    GMIT (-35): L L - MaryI (H)
    Mary I seem to have the top position in Group A wrapped up unless IT Carlow can overturn their 9 points deficit in points difference. It wouldn't be a surprise for IT Carlow to beat GMIT comprehensively, however we feel that Mary I will beat DIT by anything up to 10 points. IT Carlow would therefore need to beat GMIT by 20+ points to claim top spot. Mary I score 2-31 against GMIT so it is possible to do.

B
    UL (+22): W W - DCU Pats (A)
    NUIG (+2): W L - CIT (A)
    CIT (+1): L W - NUIG (H)
    DCU P (-29): L L - UL (H)
    UL will claim top spot here in group B, light a candle for DCU St.Pats the night before this one. Group B is all about who can claim second place and take the second quarter final spot. It really is 50/50 between CIT and NUIG. CIT will have home advantage but NUIG wont take much notice of this. We can't pick a winner in this one and it is probably the match of round 3.

C
    LIT (+29): W W - WIT (A)
    WIT (+9): L W - LIT (H)
    DCU (+4): W L - Trinity (A)
    Trinity (-42): L L - DCU (H)
    LIT will more than likely claim top spot in Group C bar WIT beating them and DCU hammering Trinity by 26 points. It is safe to say DCU will beat Trinity easily so if LIT beat WIT they will knock them out. It is possible that WIT beat LIT. LIT are defiantly strong favorites in this one. Every match is a knockout from here on in for WIT. If WIT beat LIT they also need DCU not to overtake them on points difference. Our predictions are LIT top the group and DCU get second place.

D
    UCC (+21): W W - Maynooth (A)
    Maynooth (+17): L W - UCC (H)
    UCD: (+5): W L - UUJ (A)
    UUJ: (-43): L L - UCC (H)
    UCC will also claim top spot here with a win over Maynooth. Maynooth wont be any pushovers but we expect UCC to have too much firepower. UCD will also beat UUJ quiet easily and claim second spot.

IGBP Current Power Rankings R1 & R2
    Overall: 1:LIT 2:UL 3:UCC/MaryI 4:Maynooth 5:IT Carlow
    Offence:1:UL 2:MaryI 3:LIT 4:IT Carlow 5 Maynooth
    Defence: 1:UCC 2:LIT 3:UCD 4:WIT 5:DCU

WoodenSpoon Race
    The Current leaders of the wooden spoon race are UUJ followed closely by Trinity college then in third place is GMIT.

IGBP Predicted QF's 14th Feb
    1. (1D) UCC vs DCU (C2)
    2. (C1) LIT vs UCD (D2)
    3. (B1) UL vs IT Carlow (A2)
    4. (A1) MIC vs NUIG/CIT (B2)

Irish Gaa Banter Page Snapchat: igbp32

From the Leader
    THE Limerick hurlers had a final run-out ahead of next weekend’s start to the Allianz Hurling League with Sunday’s challenge game against Waterford.

In Doon it finished Limerick 1-21, Waterford 3-19.

John Kiely and Derek McGrath started with close to full strength teams and both played a different team in the second half. Both sides are away from home next Sunday – Limerick in Wexford in Division 1B and Waterford in Nowlan Park to play Kilkenny in Division 1A.

In this entertaining challenge game Limerick corner back Stephen Cahill was the only player to see all 70-minutes of action.

Limerick’s Will O’Donoghue saw his first action of the season after joining up with the panel in the last two weeks.

The game was decided by three second half Waterford goals – Stephen Roche, Martin O’Neill and DJ Foran.

Watched on by a fine crowd in east Limerick, the home side were 1-9 to 0-10 ahead at half time. It was The Decies that made the early running with Pauric Mahony frees and points from Austin Gleeson and Brian O’Halloran helping them to a 0-5 to 0-2 lead after 15-minutes.

Peter Casey frees accounted for all Limerick scores until the Na Piarsaigh man also found one from play in the 19th minute.

Limerick were to grow into the half Mulcahy goaled in the 23rd minute to move the home side 1-7 to 0-5 ahead.

The goal came after a run of five successive points from Limerick to turn a 0-5 to 0-2 deficit into a 1-7 to 0-5 lead.

Casey’s second point from play had the lead out to 1-9 to 0-7 until the last three points of the half fell to Waterford.

Both sides re-emerged with new-look line-ups.

Pat Ryan and Kevin O’Brien were among the early second half scores to move Limerick 1-12 to 0-10 ahead.

Seven of the next eight scores went to Waterford to put them 1-16 to 1-13 ahead entering the final quarter.

Darragh O’Donovan and O’Brien hit back but Waterford found another goal to remain 2-18 to 1-16 clear.

Three came in reply – two Lynch frees and one from play from John Fitzgibbon to leave a goal between the teams but DJ Foran had a late Waterford goal to ensure their win.

SCORERS: Limerick: Peter Casey 0-7 (5frees), Ronan Lynch 0-5 (4frees), Graeme Mulcahy 1-0, John Fitzgibbon, (1free) and Kevin O’Brien 0-2 each. Diarmaid Byrnes (free), Declan Hannon, Pat Ryan, Darragh O’Donovan and Seanie Tobin 0-1 each.

LIMERICK FIRST HALF: Nickie Quaid; Stephen Cahill, Richie McCarthy, Mike Casey; Diarmaid Byrnes, Declan Hannon, Seamus Hickey; Paul Browne, James Ryan; Gearoid Hegarty, David Dempsey, Kyle Hayes; Peter Casey, Cian Lynch, Graeme Mulcahy.

LIMERICK SECOND HALF: David McCarthy; Stephen Cahill, Richie English, Seanie O’Brien; Colin Ryan, Will O’Donoghue, Dan Morrissey; John Fitzgibbon, Pat Ryan; Darragh O’Donovan, Alan Dempsey, Tom Morrissey; Kevin O’Brien, Ronan Lynch, Seanie Tobin. Sub: Andrew La Touche Cosgrave for Will O’Donoghue (64mins).

WATERFORD FIRST HALF: Ian O’Regan; Shane Fives, Barry Coughlan, Noel Connors; Conor Gleeson, Tadgh de Burca, Shane Daniels; Jamie Barron, Kevin Moran; Michael Walsh, Jake Dillon, Pauric Mahony; Brian O’Halloran, Stephen Bennett, Austin Gleeson. Sub: Tom Ryan for Stephen Bennett, inj (20mins).

WATERFORD SECOND HALF: Stephen O’Keeffe; Kieran Bennett, Shane McNulty, Ian Kenny; Darragh Lyons, Seamus Keating, Mark O’Brien; Gavin O’Brien, Michael Kearney; Tom Devine, Stephen Roche, Billy Nolan; Colin Dunford, DJ Foran, Tom Ryan. Sub used: Martin O’Neill.

Shame to lose nash this week, as we're not blessed with forwards of his talent and dowling may be a long way from returning.

On the field Jimbob and Browne wont make it in midfield they are way too static on the ball and don't take on their men. Dempsey needs to come in and good to see WOD back presumably he'll take nash's spot.

The wider GAA needs to have a serious look at what is going on regards the demands on players at county level.

Professional managers are demanding professionalism of players, this is being got round by students making up half a panel or players being employed by county boards or dubiously by sponsors. This is wide open to corruption and will only end badly for these great games.

There are huge questions out there regarding certain managers, panels and county boards that no one is lifting the lid on but it will have to come eventually addressing it sooner rather than later is the thing to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

The wider GAA needs to have a serious look at what is going on regards the demands on players at county level.

Professional managers are demanding professionalism of players, this is being got round by students making up half a panel or players being employed by county boards or dubiously by sponsors. This is wide open to corruption and will only end badly for these great games.

There are huge questions out there regarding certain managers, panels and county boards that no one is lifting the lid on but it will have to come eventually addressing it sooner rather than later is the thing to do

To be fair the sacrifices a management team makes is all too easily forgotten about too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement