Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Not the result we wanted yesterday but we started 5 young fellas, who would have learned a lot. We were up against a more experienced team and just came off worse.

Any match Kirwan or wadding ref limerick we effectively have a -3 handicap.

Think Nickys spell in goals should come to an end of yesterdays reports on his puck outs are accurate, he can be in the mix at half back.

Still have my doubts about browne, he can play great but there are times he goes missing and it seems like yesterday wasn't his best and his combination with jimbob doesn't work imo.

By all accounts we lost out physically when jimbob and hegarty went off combined with their keeper landing the ball on our 21, not much we can do about that with dowling, downes et al unavailable

This team will come good come the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Rightwing wrote: »
    I wasn't overly impressed with Kiely and his complaints about the ref with 'players being hacked down'. The typical telltale sign for the County board that they have backed the wrong horse....nd 1 that will be running for 3 years :mad:

Fewer excuses and less talk.

can you imagine the noise the other fella would have made had it been against wexford, especially the penalty , fitz would be all over the papers today if it was them

no bad thing to have a few strong teams in the division this year , its far from over yet as regards promotion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

can you imagine the noise the other fella would have made had it been against wexford, especially the penalty , fitz would be all over the papers today if it was them

no bad thing to have a few strong teams in the division this year , its far from over yet as regards promotion

You'd have to back Galway to get out, but if Wex beat them next week, then that's Fitzy home and hosed after 2 matches, and you'd have to say that's an achievement.

Rightwing wrote: »
    You'd have to back Galway to get out, but if Wex beat them next week, then that's Fitzy home and hosed after 2 matches, and you'd have to say that's an achievement.

it would but cant see it happen, expect galway this weekend . all to play for after that with a big game in Gaelic grounds next month .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

For a number of reasons Limerick will lose to Galway and Offaly but should see off Laois and Kerry to survive - Just got to hope the experienced gained by the young players will stand to them come summer- Have a feeling it is going to be another very short year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Vanolder wrote: »
    For a number of reasons Limerick will lose to Galway and Offaly but should see off Laois and Kerry to survive - Just got to hope the experienced gained by the young players will stand to them come summer- Have a feeling it is going to be another very short year.

If Offaly beat Limerick then not only should Kiely resign but also every single player involved and every county board officaly that had anything to do with the appointment should resign and all should receive a life time ban from Limerick GAA :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

5-19 for Aaron Gillane from Patrickswell in his last 2 fitzgibbon matches. Surely worth bringing back into the squad

danganabu wrote: »
    If Offaly beat Limerick then not only should Kiely resign but also every single player involved and every county board officaly that had anything to do with the appointment should resign and all should receive a life time ban from Limerick GAA :D

That won't happen...too much money involved.

I expect Galway to thrash us, (but not to worry, we'll have some excuses), and we'll beat Kerry/Offaly/Laois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

What's Offaly's recent record against Limerick?

• Advertisement

Vanolder wrote: »
    What's Offaly's recent record against Limerick?

Completely irrelevant though, Offaly are the worst I have ever seen them, Galway beat them by 26 points without even trying in Round 1.Apart from anything else, not that it would matter if it was played on the moon the game is in the Gaelic Grounds.

If my generous bookie is offering anything better than Limerick -12 I will be emptying the clip!

Completely irrelevant though, Offaly are the worst I have ever seen them, Galway beat them by 26 points without even trying in Round 1.Apart from anything else, not that it would matter if it was played on the moon the game is in the Gaelic Grounds.

If my generous bookie is offering anything better than Limerick -12 I will be emptying the clip!

You should get around that. I'd be slow enough to back them -12 though. -15 v Kerry this weekend, I wouldn't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Colemania wrote: »
    5-19 for Aaron Gillane from Patrickswell in his last 2 fitzgibbon matches. Surely worth bringing back into the squad

Was at the two matches they had at home and to be honest gillane oozed class in both games. Can't understand and couldn't before these latest displays why he was dropped off the panel maybe it's nothing to do with hurling? On the other limk players lynch did OK v a limited gmit team and was more or less anonymous last Tuesday his form for me is the most worrying, o Donovan was busy and English got plenty of it off his opponent and looked a little off the pace but having said that I saw him in a few games last yr and he was the same then went on to have a good yr (himself)with Limerick. I know there's a big clamour now for gillane but he was taken off v cork in the u 21 champ last yr and prob deservedly so so a little bit of realism is required having said that he looks miles ahead of some of the panel players being kept on and might just be one that we didn't expect to make a difference if not this yr sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

It a constant puzzle to me why Limerick never unearth a single top class scoring forward (from play) at senior level, by the law of averages one should arrive every generation....
    Or is our style of play the reason... would Sheflin, Hogan or Kelly be blunted as well if we had them

Have only seen Gillane play maybe 3 or 4 times max, is he not very small/weak for senior inter-county hurling?? Or has he bulked up a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Have only seen Gillane play maybe 3 or 4 times max, is he not very small/weak for senior inter-county hurling?? Or has he bulked up a bit?

He's still a bit light but has bulked up ever so slightly. Wouldn't say he's weak now, not the strongest lad but he has great balance and wouldn't be knocked off the ball too much. Great in the air and can score from distance while also being a fairly decent free taker. Definitely worth a chance in the half forward line

Only real criticism from seeing him play club is that if a game isn't going his way, he gets a bit lazy and commits some very stupid fouls.

He's still a bit light but has bulked up ever so slightly. Wouldn't say he's weak now, not the strongest lad but he has great balance and wouldn't be knocked off the ball too much. Great in the air and can score from distance while also being a fairly decent free taker. Definitely worth a chance in the half forward line

Only real criticism from seeing him play club is that if a game isn't going his way, he gets a bit lazy and commits some very stupid fouls.

Wouldn't know a lot about gillane myself but would agree with most of above but wouldn't call him light. As you said and I totally agree he's got some balance but also can win ball which is always welcome,if we've better than him that he can't make the panel we should be in a good place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Footballers beaten by Carlow, at least there's no division 5.

Footballers beaten by Carlow, at least there's no division 5.

cant seem to think what has gone wrong , they nearly beat kerry last month in the mcgrath cup final ,was a lot of talk of a revival in football in limerick after paddi kissane and paul kinnerk getting involved but yeah next stop the british champinship with kilkenny and amsterdam at this rate :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

14-man hurlers beat Offaly by 4, Fitzgibbon red carded before half time.

• Advertisement

Positives from game were hegarty, kyle hayes,dowling and Finn. Of the subs casey is a cert for championship with the 3 above that's 4 of 6 forwards, Dempsey the other, not sure jimbob will make it

First touch, movement of forward line, defending in general still need plenty of work

We've used 32 players a good thing imo, bound to keep fellas happy in the camp, there's also a semblance of a gameplan and obvious faults are being addressed though obviously there's a lot to be done, roll on galway

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Any idea of the team this weekend? Dowling needs lots of game time. English also.

Team I'd like to see tried for the champ won't happen this weekend cos Nash won't be played but nevertheless here goes quaid casey r Mac english Byrnes hickey gom Browne Hannon Dempsey hego c lynch casey dowling Nash.would like to have seen a hb line of Byrnes hego hickey but that's not going to happen at this stage don't think the hannon experiment at 6 has worked so maybe only finding a place for him in midfield ,maybe twud be harsh but jim Bob could come in at 9 plus wouldn't be one bit happy with gom at 7 but other than hego who's elsewhere don't see many options for hb line

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Same old Limerick - Can't win puck outs and absolutely clueless in possession - just lumped everything forward second half to a load of light weight forwards who were out muscled all day. A shambles.

6 backs played well today, unfortunately half forwards and midfield were pretty much cleaned out. Casey and Ryan should have been on far earlier, we need at least one pacey midfielder, changes required are obvious and expect to see them for cork next week

The van outside is driving everyone ****ing mad the GAA might think its great for stopping people been let in on the sly but its actually going to put people off going, they need to cop ta fcuk on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The van outside is driving everyone ****ing mad the GAA might think its great for stopping people been let in on the sly but its actually going to put people off going, they need to cop ta fcuk on

People need to get to the ground earlier.!!

washman3 wrote: »
    People need to get to the ground earlier.!!

is there not a centra almost accross the road from the ground , can people buy tickets in the shops an hour or so before games , the place i am talking about is just up the street across the road , the van used to be parked there in bigger match days , but paddy has a point why park it inside the gates where space is tight and people have no room to move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Don't know whether to be totally downbeat or to take a few positives from yesterday, seemed to have a good first half but totally faded out when galway upped it in the second, can't see us beating cork away but hope they can get positive performances, at this rate we'll be total underdogs against clare although both teams are similar, very unsure of maybe 1/3 of the team...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement