Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Rightwing wrote: »
    We ought to be beating Galway, they are the ultimate losers.

Galway have beaten limerick seven times in the last seven meetings
    of the teams--- Now children who are the ultimate losers here???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Galway have beaten limerick seven times in the last seven meetings
    of the teams--- Now children who are the ultimate losers here???

Galway, bit like Mayo in football, possess a great ability to blow an important match.

Limerick are more of an absolute shambles, plucking woeful managers from nowhere. County board needs cleaning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Galway, bit like Mayo in football, possess a great ability to blow an important match.

Limerick are more of an absolute shambles, plucking woeful managers from nowhere. County board needs cleaning out.

You're right, Kiely needs to go now.

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    You're right, Kiely needs to go now.

I said we'd finish 3rd in the 1b league, and so it turned out.

Knew this guy was a bluffer after last years U21 loss to Tipp. We were vastly superior to them but clueless, and somehow managed to lose to one of the worst Tipp teams I've ever seen. Waterford did a demolition job then on that Tipp team.

What's another year waster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Lads surely all the limerick lads backed galway.worst performance from a team in a semi I ever saw.we got hammered by clare in semi last year and I know its only the league but no touch no fight no nothing from limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Madness to calling for a man's head this time of the year but for arguments sake he was sacked or resigns who would ye put in the position?
    Daly
    A Cunningham
    Who else would do a better job.
    I am on the fence in relation to kiely but just wanted to see what people were thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Yesterday was desperate disappointing but the amount of retarded posts on here is ridiculous - pretty much only bottom feeders left here

This rightwing Kunt thinks he's some gambling genius telling us how much money he made after the event, the posts he put up 2 weeks ago were brilliant he got stuck into cork at home at 4/6 and toulouse +9 because they'd be up for it:eek:what a tool, and he seems to have attracted some more know nothing knee jerk merchants in now

We lost our 2 form half backs yesterday and were still only 3 down with 14 to play. There are about ten things you could list that we need to work on but we are going the right way. Barry nash blotted his copy book but will start come c'ship. Unfortunately there are reasons why graeme is out of form and nothing needs to be said past that. It looked like boys against men yesterday because it was that we have a young team who need to get experience you cant buy that stuff.

Our backs will be fine come c'ship, hannon is showing signs of being excellent and his delivery to the forwards will be a big asset. Midfield is not working we will play 3 here c'ship I think with casey and nash inside on their own. Half forwards will come good with time still have options in morrissey and hopefully downes to add to side

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

This rightwing Kunt thinks he's some gambling genius telling us how much money he made after the event, the posts he put up 2 weeks ago were brilliant he got stuck into cork at home at 4/6 and toulouse +9 because they'd be up for it:eek:what a tool, and he seems to have attracted some more know nothing knee jerk merchants in now
    If he ends up sleeping under the stars in a cardboard box I will laugh my fcukin ass off.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hockied

Morrisey is too slow for championship. Great skill, hands etc but thats no good without speed. Another example of a young lad that shouldnt have been doing weights program. Sprinting is what he needed. Like barry o c , who he dropped, great skill but needed work on speed. Can be done. Kiely and co failed to identify this. Would love to see morrisey with a bit of pace. A few posts mentioned him so just adding my two cents worth. I hope paddy no. 11 is right and forwards come right. But I have lost confidence in a few of them. I am bitterly disappointed in kiely and co.

• Advertisement

Hockied wrote: »
    Morrisey is too slow for championship. Great skill, hands etc but thats no good without speed. Another example of a young lad that shouldnt have been doing weights program. Sprinting is what he needed. Like barry o c , who he dropped, great skill but needed work on speed. Can be done. Kiely and co failed to identify this. Would love to see morrisey with a bit of pace. A few posts mentioned him so just adding my two cents worth. I hope paddy no. 11 is right and forwards come right. But I have lost confidence in a few of them. I am bitterly disappointed in kiely and co.

Well thanks for giving some analysis and insight that other posters have not. I'm giving kiely credit for sorting the backs so far and hoping he'll come good over the rest of the season. Kiely is starting from a very bad place and this squad needs a huge amount of work it's going to take time but as long as there is some improvement i'll back them, losing 6 and 7 was a huge factor sunday.

Still criticism of first touch, over carrying of ball and poor movement up front are completely correct, this is obvious and i'm sure its not going to be over looked I think we'll beat clare in june

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    What's another year waster?

Exactly, but some people here love losers.
    dubcat51 wrote: »
    Lads surely all the limerick lads backed galway.worst performance from a team in a semi I ever saw.we got hammered by clare in semi last year and I know its only the league but no touch no fight no nothing from limerick.

Indeed, pity the bookies moved Clare in to 4/6 from 5/6. Still worth a nice few hundred quid. Kiely won't be able to put his finger on it. There will be shame in losing by 10 points.

Chuckle chuckle.

pajoguy wrote: »
    Madness to calling for a man's head this time of the year but for arguments sake he was sacked or resigns who would ye put in the position?
    Daly
    A Cunningham
    Who else would do a better job.
    I am on the fence in relation to kiely but just wanted to see what people were thinking.

The real question is, who else would do a worse job?

Anyone who thinks there is 'no shame in losing by 10 points' needs to go, or at the very least get in someone with senior experience like Daly/Cunningham to help him. The likes of Offaly/Kerry will be having a right go at us in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Anybody who tries to find good points out of yesterday is delusional. We were so far out of our depth that Galway didn't even have to hit second gear to hammer us on our home turf.

Cian Lynch - throwing a handpass over your head every chance you get does not make you a good player. You have to pass it to somebody.
    Graeme Mulcahy - I still think he has something but he has to figure out how to make space to take a point. Stop trying to run for goal from 40 yards out.
    Kyle Hayes - not even close to good enough for intercounty.
    Gearoid Hegarty - for a big man he cant catch a ball. The hype is overblown. A sub at best for me.
    Hannon - Id persist with centre back personally as he has great positional sense.
    Dowling - Great skill and good freetaker but not fast enough for half forward. Full forward or nothing for me.
    Richie McCarthy - Only one to come out with reputation intact yesterday
    Richie English - lingers way too long on the ball. Needs to distribute faster. No need to tap the ball from hand to hurley to hand. Its like a bad tick.
    Gavin O'Mahony - thought he was good when he came on. Why is he not a starter?

I have never been so depressed about Limerick hurling in the 30 years Ive been following them. At least when we were ****e before we always had a backs to the wall spirit that made it fun to follow the team. Now it just looks like we are wasting the small bit of talent we have unearthed in last few years through bad coaching and poor tactics. And worst of all we dont even seem to care - no fight whatsoever yesterday.

Cant stomach going to Thurles for Clare match. Will watch on telly for first time since my leaving cert in early 90s'.

slegs wrote: »
    Anybody who tries to find good points out of yesterday is delusional. We were so far out of our depth that Galway didn't even have to hit second gear to hammer us on our home turf.

Cian Lynch - throwing a handpass over your head every chance you get does not make you a good player. You have to pass it to somebody.
    Graeme Mulcahy - I still think he has something but he has to figure out how to make space to take a point. Stop trying to run for goal from 40 yards out.
    Gearoid Hegarty - for a big man he cant catch a ball. The hype is overblown. A sub at best for me.
    Hannon - Id persist with centre back personally as he has great positional sense.
    Dowling - Great skill and good freetaker but not fast enough for half forward. Full forward or nothing for me.
    Richie English - lingers way too long on the ball. Needs to distribute faster. No need to tap the ball from hand to hurley to hand. Its like a bad tick.

I have never been so depressed about Limerick hurling in the 30 years Ive been following them. At least when we were ****e before we always had a backs to the wall spirit that made it fun to follow the team. Now it just looks like we are wasting the small bit of talent we have unearthed in last few years through bad coaching and poor tactics. And worst of all we dont even seem to care - no fight whatsoever yesterday.

Cant stomach going to Thurles for Clare match. Will watch on telly for first time since my leaving cert in early 90s'.

Good points apart from this.

Lots of talent in the county, but having them do so much weights etc, throwing them all in at the same time v vastly more physical players that Tipp/Galway have is madness. My concern here is that this generation will be wasted within 2 years.

We need a more experienced coach in. It's that simple. Like yourself, I will refuse to go to matches because the county board are taking us for simpletons.

I can agree with a lot of that, and believe me i'm every bit as despondent as you after yesterday. But english, hayes and hegarty are all young fellas with time on their side, i think a little patience is needed, we will get better but it could be a very slow process.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

I can agree with a lot of that, and believe me i'm every bit as despondent as you after yesterday. But english, hayes and hegarty are all young fellas with time on their side, i think a little patience is needed, we will get better but it could be a very slow process.
    I think there's a bit of an overreaction to what was a chastening defeat, but its league in April against one of the top 3 teams in the country. Some people saying its the most depressed they've been watching Limerick in 30 years? After the last 2 years? after the strikes when limerick were a laughing stock? After early to mid 2000's when we were a rabble? They are young lads and will take time to bed into inter county, they'll learn a lot from games like this, but patience is required, you don't just arrive with a ready made team a few months into a term, fellas you thought would make it might fall by the wayside while others will come up out if nowhere, changing yet another manager will solve nothing

Mehapoy wrote: »
    I think there's a bit of an overreaction to what was a chastening defeat, but its league in April against one of the top 3 teams in the country. Some people saying its the most depressed they've been watching Limerick in 30 years? After the last 2 years? after the strikes when limerick were a laughing stock? After early to mid 2000's when we were a rabble? They are young lads and will take time to bed into inter county, they'll learn a lot from games like this, but patience is required, you don't just arrive with a ready made team a few months into a term, fellas you thought would make it might fall by the wayside while others will come up out if nowhere, changing yet another manager will solve nothing

Last 2 years? Were they that bad? TJ was out of his depth, but even he would concede that losing by 10 points at home is a shocker.

You are right, the team is young, but do we need it to be that young? Surely we should be copying the successful counties where they slowly introduce players from U21 in. Tipp for instance.

Dave Keane erred badly back in 2002 era by bringing them all in together, I don't fault him, hindsight is great, but FFS Kiely, learn from past mistakes.

Last 2 years? Were they that bad? TJ was out of his depth, but even he would concede that losing by 10 points at home is a shocker.

You are right, the team is young, but do we need it to be that young? Surely we should be copying the successful counties where they slowly introduce players from U21 in. Tipp for instance.

Dave Keane erred badly back in 2002 era by bringing them all in together, I don't fault him, hindsight is great, but FFS Kiely, learn from past mistakes.

Performances, both individually and collectively, will dip for young players - that's just something we have to be patient with.

The problem is, that many of these young players probably shouldn't be getting as much game time as they are, and a number of them are be played out of position - That's all on management.

What's the point in having young Hayes being blown all over the place in at ff? Dempsey the same at HF? Hegarty also is not and never will be a FF - whatever about usuing his workrate on the wing to hussle and track back, he's not a natural forward. None of that is on the players but on management. Get Nash, Morrissey and Hannon back into the forwards - Push Dowling in FF and not running around like a blue arse fly, that's not and never will be his game, and put O'Mahony back in the HB line.

Hopefully Browne returns to form and a partnership of him and JimBob with possibly Lynch drifting back from HF would be a decent midfield.

Touch, speed and use of ball - that's what killed us Sunday - nothing can be done about waiting for young lads to fill out - but give them the direction, skills and plan to go out and play a game to their strengths, not have them killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The 2017 Hurling Championship Pools thread is now up and running. All are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

feargale wrote: »
    The 2017 Hurling Championship Pools thread is now up and running. All are welcome.

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Apples and oranges Rightwing, Mick Ryan was starting from a much higher base point that John Kiely.

Sunday was poor and Limerick looked ordinary at best, but it's a bit early in Kiely's tenure to be throwing the baby out with the bath water, he has a lot of young guys in the panel and it will take time, certainly wouldn't be judging him so soon, although in some cases he was doomed before he ever started!

There is an ever growing trend in GAA that the manager is the be alll and end all regarding success or failure and unfortunately it seems to be something that has crept in from other sports, sometimes the players need to take a closer look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

How is Seamus Hickey by the way?

He looked sore going off, but hopefully it was not on the serious end of the scale. Chap has been poxed with injury.

danganabu wrote: »
    Apples and oranges Rightwing, Mick Ryan was starting from a much higher base point that John Kiely.

Sunday was poor and Limerick looked ordinary at best, but it's a bit early in Kiely's tenure to be throwing the baby out with the bath water, he has a lot of young guys in the panel and it will take time, certainly wouldn't be judging him so soon, although in some cases he was doomed before he ever started!

There is an ever growing trend in GAA that the manager is the be alll and end all regarding success or failure and unfortunately it seems to be something that has crept in from other sports, sometimes the players need to take a closer look at themselves.

This is a fair point. But how much time does one need?

When I hear a manager talking about 'no shame in losing at home by 10 points' I know we are on to a loser.
    Take Dublin hurling, they've given that chap way too much time. Going backwards. Mick Ryan hit the ground running, that's the type of manager I like. Not a bluffer with excuse after excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

This is a fair point. But how much time does one need?

When I hear a manager talking about 'no shame in losing at home by 10 points' I know we are on to a loser.
    Take Dublin hurling, they've given that chap way too much time. Going backwards. Mick Ryan hit the ground running, that's the type of manager I like. Not a bluffer with excuse after excuse.

It was certainly not the best advised quote ever, but interesting that you reference Dublin, Cunningham has on more that one occasion publically laid all the blame for poor performances at the door of the players and never taken any responsibility himself, I would prefer Kiely's approach, obviously on the assumption that what is said in private is very different to what he has been saying in public.

Now Ger Cunningham is a bluffer!

danganabu wrote: »
    It was certainly not the best advised quote ever, but interesting that you reference Dublin, Cunningham has on more that one occasion publically laid all the blame for poor performances at the door of the players and never taken any responsibility himself, I would prefer Kiely's approach, obviously on the assumption that what is said in private is very different to what he has been saying in public.

Now Ger Cunningham is a bluffer!

They probably rank as the worst and second worst managers in the game, and the irony is they are the 2 highest paid. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

if any one looks at a divisonal championship game they will see what the quality in limerick is low, when a player is under pressure he reverts from what his coach want him to do, to what he is always used to doing, which is what we saw last sunday, in the u.s they claim a good coach is a con man, because he cons player/players into doing what he/wants them to do not what they want to do, all this is really a reflection on how players are coached from under age up, most sports teams have what is called a program, where teams all play with the one style, so that they can fit into place automatically, kilkenny were the ultimate example of that, munster rugby are starting to develop that also, when you look how they have managed to be sucessfull recently without some of their name players, any team needs a second team, to both make training intensive and put players under pressure to keep their place/gain another playes place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Link?

Boards .ie/ "Hurling Championship Pools 2017" thread

That should do it. If not PM me.

flutered wrote: »
    if any one looks at a divisonal championship game they will see what the quality in limerick is low, when a player is under pressure he reverts from what his coach want him to do, to what he is always used to doing, which is what we saw last sunday, in the u.s they claim a good coach is a con man, because he cons player/players into doing what he/wants them to do not what they want to do, all this is really a reflection on how players are coached from under age up, most sports teams have what is called a program, where teams all play with the one style, so that they can fit into place automatically, kilkenny were the ultimate example of that, munster rugby are starting to develop that also, when you look how they have managed to be sucessfull recently without some of their name players, any team needs a second team, to both make training intensive and put players under pressure to keep their place/gain another playes place

A lot of rubbish here. Divisional hurling will be low everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

A lot of rubbish here. Divisional hurling will be low everywhere.
    have you looked at divisional hurling else where, unless there is a reasonable level of compition stagnation is the result, how many of the present team do not play senior division hurling, we have not enough compition in any division, each team should play each other three times yearly, otherwise what challanges face a lot of players

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement