Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Am heading down to this and was looking forward to it until I heard Gavin was reffing, we have zero chance now

Byrnes is a loss but changing out Jimbob and Graeme two great servants shows that Kiely is going to take us forward it just wont be Saturday

To win we need nicky and Richie not to screw up

Hickey to marshall reid a la 2014

Browne and Lynch to increase their shooting to greater than 60%

A few breaks and a new ref...............

Reid to get about 2-10 from frees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

You expressed the same opinion over in the Kilkenny thread.

Your post said it was "well documented" that Gavin "hates Limerick with a passion".

Any chance you'd elaborate?

I regularly post on many GAA threads, just like yourself, and have the same right as anybody else to air my opinions.

Ask any regular hurling follower their views on Brian Gavin.
    Ask the players,present and past, and you will get the same answer.
    Many Limerick supporters will simply not travel today as they see it as a futile trip when BG is in charge.
    Nobody is blaming him for Limerick's own shortcomings in games where he was in the middle, but all anybody can ask for is fair play.
    There seems to be this 'theory' that Kilkenny like him because his 'style' suits Kilkenny play.!! In other words, he lets a lot go. This is mainly because of his inability to keep up with play.
    I remember reading an article some time back where somebody described him as follows: Brian Gavin is to Kilkenny what Howard Webb is to Man United.
    And that 'somebody' wasn't from Limerick BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

what does this even mean?

what shackles are on limerick would you say?

Maybe limerick might actually need a few shackles to keep the full back in his own half of the field for example

Apologies good sir for a figure of speech that seems to have gravely insulted your hurling acumen and nous. I bow to your superiority....

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JaffaP

Threw that one away. Management left a lot to be desired, what was the sub with 10 seconds left all about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭letsseehere14

JaffaP wrote:
    Threw that one away. Management left a lot to be desired, what was the sub with 10 seconds left all about?

Was that for the blood injury.
    Left it behind us. A bit more belief and clinical finishing was needed. Matched them for the game. What that says about us or Kilkenny I don't rightly know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Very hard to take. Felt like Limerick were always there but never going to win it. Like the clare game. Not sure if it's inexperience or what.

But just came on to commend Hannon, McCarthy, kyle Hayes and Mike casey. Kilkenny were out to clean our full back line and the lads stood their ground. Felt finn was abit out of his depth at times but I suppose trying to deal with a full forward line of aylward, hogan and c.fennelly is never going to be easy.

At one stage, My friend from clare who went with me counted 7 frees in a row for kilkenny in second half. For some very miniscule things. Not gonna bother blaming Gavin but just felt nothing seemed to go our way by the end of it. You know when TJ reid throws one of our hurlers (can't remember who) to the ground, infront of umpires, just so he can get in ahead for a ball, that it really isn't our day 😂

Just very sick of saying 'next year...'. It's very hard to travel to Division 1B games year on year. And then be out in the first round qualifier. Not blaming the lads, I'm sure glory days will come again, but yesterday I actually had tears for the first time in ages 😂 it's feckin hard following limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

:P
    danganabu wrote: »
    Ritchie can't hurl regardless of which half of the field he is in, never understood the iconic status he seems to have with a significant portion of the Limerick support, he is a liability plain and simple. A good FB in the modern game is a FB that you dont even notice is playing, do the simple things well, play the percentages and sacrifice your own game for the sake of the team - pretty much the exact opposite to what Ritchie does!
    You've got major egg on your face now, Richie was back to his best and didn't give Fennelly a sniff. Anyway it was a real opportunity missed, just didn't have the composure at the critical times. But Cody knows more than anyone this KK team has no hope whatever of lifting Liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Was that for the blood injury.
    Left it behind us. A bit more belief and clinical finishing was needed. Matched them for the game. What that says about us or Kilkenny I don't rightly know.
    How did you leave it behind,you never led and we had 3 goal chances to none for you.murphy never made a save.we were poor last night but for me you never looked like winning.we have to improve alot and you have to stop induilging players like lynch and dowling.lynch fllittered around and dowling does nothing other than take frees(which he missed alot).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Limericka trajectory is upwards while Kilkenny are declining further. Ye'll be back to winning ways soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Felt the inability to win any ball into the forward was the difference on the day, whether high balls or lower balls, Kilkenny had the beating of the Limerick 75% of the time it seemed. Thought the conditioning of the team seemed poor, guys either carrying a bit of weight and a few guys a bit too slim, Kilkenny won the physical battle, they had the strength to break tackles more often

Limericka trajectory is upwards while Kilkenny are declining further. Ye'll be back to winning ways soon.

Long time before limerick are above kk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

:P
    You've got major egg on your face now, Richie was back to his best and didn't give Fennelly a sniff. Anyway it was a real opportunity missed, just didn't have the composure at the critical times. But Cody knows more than anyone this KK team has no hope whatever of lifting Liam.

Absolutely Richie destroyed him, I have no problem admitting when I am wrong.

I do note that you didn't quote where I told said that Limerick had a great chance of beating KK if they had a bit of belief, and was told I was raving!!

danganabu wrote: »
    Absolutely Richie destroyed him, I have no problem admitting when I am wrong.

I do note that you didn't quote where I told said that Limerick had a great chance of beating KK if they had a bit of belief, and was told I was raving!!
    Admittedly I would have dropped Richie myself after the Clare game, so was as shocked as anyone to see him turn back the clock.

But belief is going to be tough to acquire when you've been ploughing in Div 1b for as long as we have, and with numerous big-day freezes in Croker hanging over us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Admittedly I would have dropped Richie myself after the Clare game, so was as shocked as anyone to see him turn back the clock.

But belief is going to be tough to acquire when you've been ploughing in Div 1b for as long as we have, and with numerous big-day freezes in Croker hanging over us.

Kiely is the right man though, it seems an odd thing to say considering the bare stats are another missed promotion and another championship season with no win, but I would be a lot more optimistic if I was a Limerick hurling fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Went down to Nowlan Park last night and came away disappointed we left it behind us. I got caught up in the game and sheer blind optimism that we were in with a shout. After the game I thought our 6 backs were super.
    On reflection and watching it back this evening both set of backs were super for the simple reason the ball into both sets of forwards was desperate. Forwards had no chance. I know that they have to battle for ball but time after time we skied ball down on top of our full forward line. Kilkenny are the best team in the country still at winning high ball. They shot themselves in the foot by bad delivery. Alot of balls over hit and wide. Or into the corner where there is no danger.
    Eddie brennan on sunday game might have a point about process over product and having to rely on instinct but when your instinct is to drive it as hard and as far as u can without looking then when the process breaks down we are goosed. Yes we are a young team but we need to bulk up a few lads, trim down a few more and get the f*ck out of 1b or get jp to drop a few € to congress to bring back a 9 team top tier. 8 top games instead of 2 or 3 would help preparation and give an oppurtunity to blood a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

We came close to kk alright albeit a shadow of the kk team of a few years ago some positives no doubt but if we are to win anything we have to play 6 forwards maybe have a mid fielder drop back to help out the backs but we need 6 forwards. Totally agree 're the ball delivered to our forwards it was ****e unlike what the kk poster said we did have a few chances for goals Dowling in first half when the pass was a little bit too far ahead of him these are the small margins plus late in the match when pat Ryan was straight through but he took way too much time on the ball. Look we're young that's not an excuse it's fact it might take until some of the current 21s get to their mid twenties then plus the younger lads not even heard of now before we start winning again all the better teams have an older age profile than us. Think we need a few changes too maybe hegarty to half back Byrne's to midfield find a definite role for c lynch Mac namara to goals though Quaid did well. One more point even though he had a fine game m Casey was out on his feet at the end of the game surely that shouldn't be?

Casey couldn't move, gave up the crucial score that closed it out. Also went half the length of the pitch and gave way ball before that. We gave up simple scores, pat ryan and jimbob should have tacked on 2 handy points and we could easily have come away with a win. That would have been good enough for last night but as pointed out above a lot to be done to come up to Galways standard but given that Kyle hayes was a nobody at the start of the year we didn't have a CB or a corner back we have made progress.

We need 5 points from midfield, time to replace Paul Browne I think or at least change his style, Dempsey DOD and Pat Ryan are future here

Need a full forward, maybe aherne is the type of goal poacher we need

Kiely will get the right players picked alright but have slight doubts about game day management and also about Joe O'Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Terrible year so far for limerick gaa, both senior teams out of the championship without a game won, beaten in senior and minor in both codes by Clare...we're 5th in the munster rankings in both hurling and football now. There needs to be a full review of the limerick county board as we are getting towards non gaa county status at this rate...just hand over the county to rugby and soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

I think Limerick are in a quandary they're not going to escape from until they sort out the S&C side of things. The fact of the matter is that there are visibly overweight guys on the starting 15.

Now I've no doubt at all that they are doing what they're told to do and making the same sacrifice as everyone else but the reality is that you will not survive in the modern game. It's been proven by performances. Dowling offers nothing now and McCarthy played well Saturday but that's the 1st time in years.

I accept Dowling may be one of Limericks 6 best forwards (I have my doubts) so they may feel they've no choice but to pick him but should management recognise the obvious issue and pick players that will last the pace physically?

• Advertisement

We have been off the pace fitness wise last 2 years, need a change here. When ross corbett had the winning u-21 team we were in serious shape need to get back to that

Would like to see our u-21 v KK this year and beat them, its time to kick down the door. Their FF line would be a serious challenge but one we need to rise to, obviously winning munster will be no easy feat either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

We have been off the pace fitness wise last 2 years, need a change here. When ross corbett had the winning u-21 team we were in serious shape need to get back to that

Would like to see our u-21 v KK this year and beat them, its time to kick down the door. Their FF line would be a serious challenge but one we need to rise to, obviously winning munster will be no easy feat either

Wasn't a coincidence that Ross Corbett was also Patrickswells fitness coach when they won County. He's held in high regard in Limerick anyway, think he may actually be working in the US or Dubai now

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Greensoup

Sydney Swans academy I think.

Greensoup wrote: »
    Sydney Swans academy I think.

What a waste, This is one where JP should use his err........leverage

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

A thousand times the point about Ross Corbett. I have seen little to no improvement S&C wise over the past two/three years. Galway and Tipp seem to be miles ahead of us. When I think of the movement of that u21 team and the pace which allowed guys like Cian Lynch to come into the game I shudder when I see where we are now. Maybe it's coming but all I've heard the past 2 years is that we are going to peak for June. Get the jet fired up and head for Sydney. Mind you would you leave a full time professional set up to come back to an Irish winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Colemania wrote: »
    Wasn't a coincidence that Ross Corbett was also Patrickswells fitness coach when they won County. He's held in high regard in Limerick anyway, think he may actually be working in the US or Dubai now

I remember the exact same argument here re Kinnerk and Joe O'Connor when Clare were flying high. Could'nt wait to get them on board here and blamed all und sundry for letting them go in the first place. It was virtually guaranteed that if we got them on board we would physically match any team in the country (including Dublin's footballers..!!!)
    Not a word about S&C on the Galway, Kilkenny,Tipp,Cork or Waterford threads.
    I doubt if 5% of the fans from those counties know (or care) who the S&C coach is.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

washman3 wrote:
    I remember the exact same argument here re Kinnerk and Joe O'Connor when Clare were flying high. Could'nt wait to get them on board here and blamed all und sundry for letting them go in the first place. It was virtually guaranteed that if we got them on board we would physically match any team in the country (including Dublin's footballers..!!!) Not a word about S&C on the Galway, Kilkenny,Tipp,Cork or Waterford threads. I doubt if 5% of the fans from those counties know (or care) who the S&C coach is.

I agree completely. We're clutching at straws guys. We didnt win because we're not good enough. Look we cant get out of 1B because we dont have the talent. Simple as.
    But......... I believe there is a future. Its the young guns. We've a couple of cornor backs now. A centre back whos finally in his best position. Byrnes on his side who will be a class act. Numbers 10 to 15 is where the problem lies. Im thinking our under 21s is the solution here. Im going to watch them next week and I hope to see some new future senior hurlers in there.
    Secertly hoping for a Limerick v Kilkenny all ireland under 21 final.

Fair points lads though its not often you hear players so full of praise for an S&C coach, I will stick by my concerns over Joe O'Connor, though not adamant i'm right

I'd also love an u-21 final v KK and we have to win it

Fair points lads though its not often you hear players so full of praise for an S&C coach, I will stick by my concerns over Joe O'Connor, though not adamant i'm right

I'd also love an u-21 final v KK and we have to win it
    We dont mind who we play

• Advertisement

Another demolition job v Clare in the u-21s, I could get used to this :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement