Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Wayne mac 2 rubbish solos (one of which luckily resulted in him scoring a great goal) gave away 2 bad frees at start of 2nd half.

What match were you watching? I take it you watched it at home? Wayne Mac was man of the match in my opinion. Great game.

Just on the way back from the match and an odd feeling of actually leaving Thurles with a win. Delighted for the players

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

well done limerick - clearly the better team, a lot of work done by manager and squad paid dividends -
    roll on kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Colemania wrote: »
    What match were you watching? I take it you watched it at home? Wayne Mac was man of the match in my opinion. Great game.

Just on the way back from the match and an odd feeling of actually leaving Thurles with a win. Delighted for the players

Jeez your right, just because i couldnt make the match tonight the events that i saw on screen didnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

What a great day for Limerick GAA, I'm absolutely delighted now.

As a Longford fan can I just congratulate the Limerick footballers on their win today.
    Its not fair to say that Limerick were chasing the game because they never let Longford settle and Longford never got more than 3 ahead at any stage in the game but that's neither here nor there - the better team over the 90 minutes won. Best of luck to ye in the next round. I'm sure ye will fancy ye're chances against some of the other teams in the bowl on Monday.

Those words are much appreciated. I didn't think Limerick would win, Longford are a very good outfit but they seemed to click today which they haven't done all year and they do have some very good players.

Hoping for an okay draw in the next round.

As for the hurlers, it was a well-deserved win imo. We were much the better team in the 2nd half, and although they fell away after the melee, the goal before half-time revitalised them.

Particularly considering a few of our big players never really got going, Mulcahy got 2 points but was marshalled fairly well, Dowling was alright but not top class and Hannon wasn't firing on all cylinders either even if he did get the all-important goal. I take back everything I said about Moran...well that's not quite, as he's always been a confidence player, but he was full of confidence today, scored some amazing points. Great to see. I thought Paudie O'Brien was immense particularly in the 2nd half and the backline in general was superb- Walsh, McCarthy and DOG the standouts. A good win against a good Clare side who played well in spells but only had one real clearcut goal chance bar the one they scored and their forwards failed to make real inroads although they did get some handy scores especially in the first half when they went into the lead.

I see some people criticising the Clare FB line...I must say I thought that their two corner-backs were class. Mulcahy and Tobin were very well held, particularly considering Mulcahy's form.

Delighted anyway, great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

well done Limerick, great all ireland victory for ye.

Cheers boi ;-) Might just keep this roll going if we draw the mighty Deise in the quarters
    As a Longford fan can I just congratulate the Limerick footballers on their win today.
    Its not fair to say that Limerick were chasing the game because they never let Longford settle and Longford never got more than 3 ahead at any stage in the game but that's neither here nor there - the better team over the 90 minutes won. Best of luck to ye in the next round. I'm sure ye will fancy ye're chances against some of the other teams in the bowl on Monday.
    Fair play to you kid. I get the impression Limerick were the fitter team. I didn't see that performance coming from the footballers to be honest. Was driving down from Dublin so was dependent on Twitter being read to me and RTE's non existent reporting of the match. 3 mins to go and a point in it and reporter says we may have a draw here and Joanne and other donkey on air, "lets get an update in Roscommon" and the game was fucking over and the Limerick Longford game in the balance. Then when extra time was on they were discussing Meath and Dublin back in 91. The Leinster final is next week for chr1st sake. Anyways fair play to the footballers for a great win. We couldn't buy a win in the qualifiers for years but have done well recently.

As for the hurlers. Great game of hurling. Goals at crucial times were the difference. We always looked more likely to get goals which is always brilliant to see. Moran was brilliant. Worked so hard. Donal O'Grady held the middle very well and shut down the channel. Gav was poor in the first half but came into it in the second half. Defence was savage. hounded Clare all second half and didn't give them a yard. Clare kept trying to pass it to space but the space got shut down each time. For the amount of clean possession their half backs won they didn't do enough with it. Honan was marshalled well.

Thought Brian Gavin made some very strange decisions but didn't screw either team. Great to get a win in Thurles. We never seem to win there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The strangest experience, standing up at the final whistle in Thurles tonight, i'm so used to Limerick losing in that venue that i didn't know how to react. I'm of course happy we won but i think the victory papers over a few worrying cracks in our team - most noticeably our half forward line's inability to win clean ball, or more to the point, their inability to stop the opposition half back line. I lost count of the amount of clean ball Bugler, Donnellan and O' Connell caught during the course of the game. Dowling and Breen caught very little, and i'm not quite sure what Brian Geary was doing on the field at no. 11. A lot of the balls delivered to our full forward line was sloppy - Sean Tobin was repeatedly hit with high balls which is pointless for a guy of his limited height. Niall Moran did get some quality ball sent his way, more often than not by Ryan and O' Grady (for what it's worth i didn't think Dodge was at his best tonight) and made some great use of it. Moran definitely needs to be started at centre forward the next day, he's more effective a little bit out from the goal. All of his points came from around the 45' line. Now credit the Clare corner backs, they were pretty tight on Mulcahy and Tobin throughout. Both still got key scores though, Tobin's goal was a proper tonic just before the break. We scarcely deserved to be within four points of Clare at half time, nevermind one point up.

I didn't know whether to be happy or worried at the interval. We had done little hurling but we were leading. Clare had a good deal more possession and chances and their half backs and centre field were on top. We really had to buck things up upon our return and Hannon's goal came at the perfect time. Our defence was key in the second half, Clare huffed and puffed but McCarthy had the measure of Honan by now and both Walsh and Condon were giving not an inch. I must say that Wayne Mac and Gavin O Mahony had great second halves. A lot of the Clare play went down the side of O Mahony & Condon and they backed each other very well. I didn't think James Ryan played his best game, was certainly much livelier against Tipp. But i was reasonably happy with Paudie O' Brien's outing.

Clare were poor up front though, a better team like Waterford or Kilkenny in the quarters will thrive on such possession. They won't be as wasteful in front of goal. If we cough up that amount of ball next day out, we'll almost certainly lose. Must improve on that front. Other than that, i'm relatively satisfied.

Our first win at Thurles over Munster opposition since 1997 - it's been a long time coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I didn't see enough in that performance to trouble better teams. Confirmed my suspicions that Clare are woefully limited. Still, improve bit by bit, waterford and cork are beatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

liammur wrote: »
    I didn't see enough in that performance to trouble better teams. Confirmed my suspicions that Clare are woefully limited. Still, improve bit by bit, waterford and cork are beatable.

Agreed, Cork are definitely beatable ...

... only thing is that Limerick and Cork can only meet if they both get through to the All-ireland final!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭chatjunkie

liammur wrote: »

Agreed, Cork are definitely beatable ...

... only thing is that Limerick and Cork can only meet if they both get through to the All-ireland final!

How do you make that out? If tipp win today won't it be an open draw? Limerick. Cork. Waterford and Kilkenny. None of these have played each other. If Waterford win on the other hand tipp have already played limerick and cork so they would have to play Kilkenny and Limk versus cork? Or am I barking up the wrong tree??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

chatjunkie wrote: »
    How do you make that out? If tipp win today won't it be an open draw? Limerick. Cork. Waterford and Kilkenny. None of these have played each other. If Waterford win on the other hand tipp have already played limerick and cork so they would have to play Kilkenny and Limk versus cork? Or am I barking up the wrong tree??

No we can only play Kilkenny or losers from today. Cant face Cork.

One thing I will say is that Geary was left on way too long. The clare centre back was cleaning up and hurling a tonne of ball from the start. Felt bad for him as its the second time it has happened him against Clare.

Anyone know how Tom Condon is? Looked in serious trouble coming off last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Browney7 wrote: »
    Cheers boi ;-) Might just keep this roll going if we draw the mighty Deise
    I was talking about the football... Where ye playing a hurling match yesterday?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

limerick would have every chance of knocking over waterford, closely matched sides but i think limerick have the slight edge especially if hannon, hickey and downes all are fit and start

against a wounded animal kilkenny who will have a point to prove it would be a tough task but limerick would certainly test them and possibly find them out if they play with the same intensity as galway did which they are well capable of - could a young limerick team end the kilkenny dynasty? I would certainly hope so although i wouldn't put a hige wager on it just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I'm going for:

LK v KK, KK wo win by 8
    CK V WD, CK to win by 3

Player by player over-analysis of yesterday's game :p

Nicky Quaid- Always a calming influence in goal, his short puckouts are generally very good, and made one fantastic save. Needs to work on his longer puckouts, as we need a way of securing possession.

Stephen Walsh- At the start of the year, I was an advocate of Dave Moloney at corner-back but Walsh has really stepped up this year. Another superb performance from him.

Richie McCarthy- He had plenty of critics after the league...I wasn't sure, because I had been calling for him to be in the team since last year. We've tried Hickey, O'Mahony, Breen and Condon there, but none of them are natural full-backs and I think McCarthy has really stepped it up since the Tipp game and is fully deserving of his starting spot. Stood off Honan a bit yesterday but I think it was the right decision consdering his height advantage... gave away a couple of frees but contained him well imo.

Tom Condon- Was probably the quietest of the backs yesterday but was still solid. He certainly wasn't taken apart by his man, and everything he did do, he did well. Hopefully his injury isn't too bad, it looked bad... we could probably put someone in to replace him, but he wouldn't be as effective, Condon is a class player.

Wayne McNamara- Got a goal, bit lucky in the build-up but it was a superb finish. Won some great ball and made some nice blocks but it wasn't a perfect game from him. Still has a few problems with his distribution and overran the ball a few times. He needs to stop running into traffic. But he had a good game.

Donal O'Grady- Plenty of people had doubts about him at centre-back but I think he's really growing into the role with every game. Someone who will never let his county down, he's a fine player and led the defence well yesterday. Made some great catches and was the lynchpin of a strong defence.

Gavin O'Mahoney- Excelled in the second half. His passing is nearly always pinpoint accurate and is a great option for long frees. Developing into one of the best wing-backs around.

James Ryan- Thought he was poor in the first half, but went through an amount of work in the 2nd half before he came off. A real workhorse, we'll need him to help out more with ball-winning, both in the air and the breaking ball, if we are to go further on.

Paudie O'Brien- Been calling for him to be in the team for a while now, I think he's a very talented hurler and think he showed it yesterday. Was my man-of-the-match. Worked extremely hard and his passing was top class, whenever he sent a ball into the forward line, it was usually a good one. Just needs to help with the scoring as he does at club level, and he'll be a really valuable asset. Think he deserves to start even if Browne returns now.

Shane Dowling- Quiet game. Showed a few nice touches but I don't remember him having any chances to score from play. Was well shut down but he really needs to start winning his own ball a bit more, our half-forward line were cleaned out. I know he's capable, and he's still very young. As reliable as ever from frees.

Brian Geary- Very poor game. It's not all his fault, he's not a forward, never was and never will be. Was a brilliant player over the years, one of the finest centre-backs of his generation but I think its unfair to ask him to play in an unfamiliar position. And it seems as if he's under orders to knock the ball down with his hurl rather than try and catch them which seems stupid as he used to be dominant in the air. Lost most of his pace, was never a forward anyway and is not a natural score-taker. A failed experiment imo, which shouldn't have lasted that long.

David Breen- An okay game. Made an impact in parts but didn't score from play and surely had to contribute more to ball-winning as the Clare half-back line were well on top. A man of his size needs to win some ball in the air. Expect better from him.

Graham Mulcahy- I think he was well held tbh. Scored 2 points and was fouled a few times but his form led me to expect more. Still had a good game, his 2nd point was top class. One of our players who will be challenging for an all-star if he keeps it up.

Niall Moran- What a game...5 points from play, some of them absolutely brilliant, what more could you ask from him. I didn't think he had it in him anymore tbh, but I'll admit I was wrong. Was the real winning of the game for us imo (along with the goals) as our starting half-forward line didn't score from play. Think he was the only forward who cleanly caught a high ball too...

Seanie Tobin- 1-1 is a decent return from a corner-forward but he was also well held throughout. But it's good to have someone who can score whenever he does get a chance, the goal was brilliantly taken.

Declan Hannon- Quiet enough game really, but still showed his class. When he goes in for a 50-50, suddenly it becomes a 70-30. His goal was brilliantly finished, he helped our half-forward line in our struggle against the Clare half-backs. Hope he makes it to full fitness soon, he's one of the best players in the country.

Shane O'Neill- Maybe a bit looser than Condon, he didn't make any mistakes when he came on really. Would be confident in him starting if he had to.

Kevin Downes- Scored a crucial point, didn't get all that many opportunities. Handpassed one ball he should have shot. Great to have him back, wouldn't mind seeing him start, but who would you drop at this stage? Good in the air, good score-taker...a great player to have around.

Seamus Hickey- Didn't see him do much but surely if he's fit he has to start. Been consistently one of Limerick's best players since he broke on the scene.

Tom Ryan- Didn't get too much time to shine, hopefully he can showcase his talent for the U-21s during the week. Think he's a really good option to have but I suppose he's behind Hickey in line for a starting place anyway.

Sorry for boring you all, but I'm absolutely delighted with the win. And the footballers too, can't believe that was Derry O'Connor's Championship debut, was sure he had played before. He deserves it, he's been very consistent at club level and for intermediate and underage county teams. Nice to see a bit of depth in the football panel at last- Sheehan, O'Connor, Corbett and O'Brien sounded like they all played vital roles in our win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Cheers boi ;-) Might just keep this roll going if we draw the mighty Deise
    I was talking about the football... Where ye playing a hurling match yesterday?
    What game were you watching at 7:04 when you were posting in this thread then?

Was nice to see Waherford not sh1tting their pants against Tipp this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

From the Limerick GAA Facebook page:

Limerick U21 Hurling Team v Tipperary 18/7/12

1. Aaron Murphy (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    2. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    3. Dan Morrissey (Ahane)
    4. Stephen O’Reilly (Ballybrown)
    5. Robert Egan (Kilmallock) – Captain
    6. Declan Hannon (Adare)
    7. Tom Ryan (South Liberties)
    8. Shane Kenny (Ballybrown)
    9. Seanie O’Brien (Patrickswell)
    10. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)
    11. Niall Kennedy (Granagh/Ballingarry)
    12. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    13. Mikey Ryan (Murroe/Boher)
    14. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    15. Willie Griffin (Adare)
    16. Owen Webb O’Rourke (Kilmallock)
    17. Micheal Reidy (Dromin/Athlacca)
    18. Tom O’Callaghan (Monagea)
    19. Cathal McNamara (Doon)
    20. Mark O’Connell (Glenroe)
    21. Robert O’Donnell (Pallasgreen)
    22. John Fitzgibbon (Adare)
    23. Adrian Breen (Na Piarsaigh)
    24. Jack Ahern (Killeedy)

Extended Panel Members: Barry O’Connell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry), Barry Lynch (Feohanagh/Castlemahon), William Hickey (South Liberties), Paudie Ahern (Kilteely/Dromkeen), Brendan O’Connor (Croagh/Kilfinny), Padraic Barron (Knockainey), Michael Barry (Doon)

Adults - €10, Students/OAPs - €5, Under 16s - Free

Should get a good crowd I'd say, especially from those holding student cards! :D

Colemania wrote: »
    From the Limerick GAA Facebook page:

Limerick U21 Hurling Team v Tipperary 18/7/12

1. Aaron Murphy (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    2. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    3. Dan Morrissey (Ahane)
    4. Stephen O’Reilly (Ballybrown)
    5. Robert Egan (Kilmallock) – Captain
    6. Declan Hannon (Adare)
    7. Tom Ryan (South Liberties)
    8. Shane Kenny (Ballybrown)
    9. Seanie O’Brien (Patrickswell)
    10. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)
    11. Niall Kennedy (Granagh/Ballingarry)
    12. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    13. Mikey Ryan (Murroe/Boher)
    14. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    15. Willie Griffin (Adare)
    16. Owen Webb O’Rourke (Kilmallock)
    17. Micheal Reidy (Dromin/Athlacca)
    18. Tom O’Callaghan (Monagea)
    19. Cathal McNamara (Doon)
    20. Mark O’Connell (Glenroe)
    21. Robert O’Donnell (Pallasgreen)
    22. John Fitzgibbon (Adare)
    23. Adrian Breen (Na Piarsaigh)
    24. Jack Ahern (Killeedy)

Extended Panel Members: Barry O’Connell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry), Barry Lynch (Feohanagh/Castlemahon), William Hickey (South Liberties), Paudie Ahern (Kilteely/Dromkeen), Brendan O’Connor (Croagh/Kilfinny), Padraic Barron (Knockainey), Michael Barry (Doon)

Adults - €10, Students/OAPs - €5, Under 16s - Free

Should get a good crowd I'd say, especially from those holding student cards! :D

Hmmmm....interesting. That looks like a very strong team. Hannon played centre-back for the minors, I suppose they think he can be very influential there, I'm surprised he's starting at all with the questions over his fitness.

Shane Kenny at midfield? I had heard rumours that Carmody was going to start there, didn't know Kenny was likely to be in the starting XV at all. Forwards look very strong- 4 seniors there, with 8 in total.

And some good players on the bench- Cathal Mac had been expected to start, and Breen and Ahern are good players. Barry was on the bench last year, only on the extended panel now, not sure if he's injured atm. And Brendan O'Connor was a good player for the minors last year.

Should be a cracking match, can't wait for it now.

Bit rich considering Limerick haven't been in a munster final in a long time cos they cack their pants in the first round or semis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

All Ireland semi final 2009: Tipperary 6-19 Limerick 2-7

Seems we're not the only team to cack their pants against Tipp in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

If there's a God out there, Limerick will draw Waterford in the morning..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

If there's a God out there, Limerick will draw Waterford in the morning..

If there's a god out there, Waterford will draw Limerick in the morning :)

Waterford and Leitrim would do me nicely :D

No offence to either team, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mairzydoats

WumBuster wrote: »
    If there's a god out there, Waterford will draw Limerick in the morning :)

There's no God. But you probably knew that already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Kildare for football, Kilkenny for hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mairzydoats

panda100 wrote: »
    Kildare for football, Kilkenny for hurling.

Two tough draws. We'll see where both teams are in terms of development after those games! My (not so) bold prediction is 2 glorious defeats.

Anyone know how Tom Condon is? He looked in fierce trouble coming off the pitch saturday night.

Will he and Paul Browne be fit for the quarters. I thought we missed Browne a bit saturday night. He is developing into a rather handy mid-fielder

Ye'll probably bate Kilkenny. Anything less than an 8 point victory will be disappointing for ye.

Ye'll probably bate Kilkenny. Anything less than an 8 point victory will be disappointing for ye.

Fact

:mad::mad::mad:

I'm as optimistic as anyone but I can't see us beating Kilkenny. I expect us to run them close in a brave performance but they'll pull through in the end. Hopefully not, but I just think they'll bounce back firing on all cylinders.

I'm a little more confident about the footballers, but it's still a really tough draw. Away to Kildare is as tough as it could possibly have been. Don't think they'll hammer us, but they're another team I'd expect to edge us out in the last few minutes. :(

Well...I hope we can win at least one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Well lads, if ye fancy yourselfs against kk, paddy powers offering 13/2 on ye against them .....get on!!!!! Kk@1/9 paddy doesn't give ye much of a chance!!! What ye think lads..... Hope ye do it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement