Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Ye'll probably bate Kilkenny. Anything less than an 8 point victory will be disappointing for ye.

God Calvin do you think so. I can see kk running us very close to be honest. Four point win might be more realistic

The end of the road for the footballers id say but expect them to put up more of a fight than Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Your playing on the Sunday lads, ye got the 4pm slot in thurlas..... Best of luck against the cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Liam Aherne getting fierce excited on the radio!!! Looks like extra time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Tremendous performance from our football team tonight. Lacked the cuteness to stop Kildare from travelling up the field at the end for the equaliser. O Flaherty should have been fouled, by whatever means necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Hard luck limerick ye played a stormer!!!

Tough game for us Kildare lads..

Thanks and good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Gutted.
    Limerick really dug out everything for the full 70mins and just had nothing left when it came to extra time.

Fcuk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Gutted for Limerick. They really should have won it in normal time and tiredness caught up with them I think. It would have been great to see ye progress.
    In recent years, ye pushed Kerry and ourselves and then floundered badly in the qualifiers. It's great to see ye so competitive against the likes of Kildare, the future is bright for both hurling and football in Limerick - great to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Gutted.So dissapointing. We had the game for the winning. :(

Yet another disappointing journey home from Portlaoise. Say what you like about them they always give it their all. The lads owe their county nothing. A night of missed opportunities tonight. Riordan should have fisted over the bar, the blockdown after scan's miss hit free. We had the ball 30 seconds into injury time down in the corner and just couldnt see it out.

No shame losing to Kildare when we were such underdogs. We really upped our game and ran at Kildare and defended like lunatics and Kildare had no answer for a long time. I thought the floodgates would open after half time but we stuck with it.

Just a bit more cuteness and we could be talking about a famous win

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Browney7 wrote: »
    Yet another disappointing journey home from Portlaoise. Say what you like about them they always give it their all. The lads owe their county nothing. A night of missed opportunities tonight. Riordan should have fisted over the bar, the blockdown after scan's miss hit free. We had the ball 30 seconds into injury time down in the corner and just couldnt see it out.

No shame losing to Kildare when we were such underdogs. We really upped our game and ran at Kildare and defended like lunatics and Kildare had no answer for a long time. I thought the floodgates would open after half time but we stuck with it.

I have to hand it to limerick they gave it there all!! But that blanket defense is a terrible way to play football lads it makes the game ugly.

What's that forwards name for ye?? Is it Ian Ryan??? Absolute class act first class forward and everyone in limerick should be patting him on the back after a mammoth effort!!

I did not for one minute think Kildare would win this easy but I never seen limerick playing so well either..

Great championship game was delighted to be there and see it unfold

• Advertisement

I would question Maurice Horan's tactical judgment towards the end of the match. He brought on a whole load of sub's, despite us being three points ahead. While I always think it's good bringing in fresh legs and new,young players, the subs just didn't seem to have the experience that was needed to match Kildare.

All in all, great team effort though, and what a game to watch.

panda100 wrote: »

I wouldn't know. I watched most of it through my fingers. Still devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dirkster

I wouldn't know. I watched most of it through my fingers. Still devastated.
    I'll equal that.. I think Horan got the tactics spot on. What let him down was the lack of talent on the bench I think. That really was the deciding point. The missed goal as well would've sealed it. Devastating stuff. Awful shame Galvin wasn't able to play even 10 mins. He could've made a difference catching 1 or 2 kick outs when Jim O'Donovan went off.

Dirkster wrote: »
    I'll equal that.. I think Horan got the tactics spot on. What let him down was the lack of talent on the bench I think. That really was the deciding point. The missed goal as well would've sealed it. Devastating stuff. Awful shame Galvin wasn't able to play even 10 mins. He could've made a difference catching 1 or 2 kick outs when Jim O'Donovan went off.

Then why wasn't Donovan kept on? Don't take players off if there's a lack of talent on the bench.

I completely disagree that Horan tactics were spot on. We were winning by three points with 20 minutes to go. Why take off players such as Stephen Kelly, who was our main ball carrier, to bring on inexperienced players who have hardly seen two matches all season?

I just can't get inside Horans head at all. When we were playing Clare we were down by three goals, yet Horan doesn't make a change until well into the second half. Having a player such as Stephen Lucey sitting on the bench when we're losing by three goals make no tactical sense! Then yesterday the team is working well together, we are winning by goal, and yet he bring's in a load of inexperienced players. We lost our midfield dominance, we lost Kelly who was catching all the breaking balls, and we lost the match.

On top of that we're still in Division 4. We had the easiest route to a Munster final than we've had in years, and yet we lost to a very poor Clare side. I wish I could see some sort of headway with Horan at the helm, but we've gone backwards this year and not forwards. That to me is not a good sign.

Also just want to add, I really don't think Brian Scanlon get's half enough praise for his efforts with Limerick. He is one of the best Limerick goalkeepeers we've had in a long time. Some of the save's he made last night were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dirkster

Then why wasn't Donovan kept on? Don't take players off if there's a lack of talent on the bench.

I completely disagree that Horan tactics were spot on. We were winning by three points with 20 minutes to go. Why take off players such as Stephen Kelly, who was our main ball carrier, to bring on inexperienced players who have hardly seen two matches all season?

I just can't get inside Horans head at all. When we were playing Clare we were down by three goals, yet Horan doesn't make a change until well into the second half. Having a player such as Stephen Lucey sitting on the bench when we're losing by three goals make no tactical sense! Then yesterday the team is working well together, we are winning by goal, and yet he bring's in a load of inexperienced players. We lost our midfield dominance, we lost Kelly who was catching all the breaking balls, and we lost the match.

On top of that we're still in Division 4. We had the easiest route to a Munster final than we've had in years, and yet we lost to a very poor Clare side. I wish I could see some sort of headway with Horan at the helm, but we've gone backwards this year and not forwards. That to me is not a good sign.

Also just want to add, I really don't think Brian Scanlon get's half enough praise for his efforts with Limerick. He is one of the best Limerick goalkeepeers we've had in a long time. Some of the save's he made last night were brilliant.
    Ya I'd agree, leave them on if they were still able for it but Stephen Kelly was absolutely out on his ear when he got taken off. He ran everything and put in a massive effort but it took its toll and he was more or less just hanging around the half back line because he was so recked. He's a fantastic ball carrier and was so in the match but he's no use if he physically can't run any more. Jim O'D put in a massive effort as well but I don't think he was fully fit also and put in a massive performance considering. Limerick were playing against the wind with a blanket defence and if you have players that can't physically run anymore then they have to come off and let fresh legs on because they can't cover. That's the plain and simple of it.

How can you say his tactics didn't work when they would have beaten Kildare if not for 30 secs of naievity and panic at the end of the match? Other than that Limerick would have won.

Dirkster wrote: »
    Ya I'd agree, leave them on if they were still able for it but Stephen Kelly was absolutely out on his ear when he got taken off. He ran everything and put in a massive effort but it took its toll and he was more or less just hanging around the half back line because he was so recked. He's a fantastic ball carrier and was so in the match but he's no use if he physically can't run any more. Jim O'D put in a massive effort as well but I don't think he was fully fit also and put in a massive performance considering. Limerick were playing against the wind with a blanket defence and if you have players that can't physically run anymore then they have to come off and let fresh legs on because they can't cover. That's the plain and simple of it.

How can you say his tactics didn't work when they would have beaten Kildare if not for 30 secs of naievity and panic at the end of the match? Other than that Limerick would have won.

I see where you're coming from.

However, personally I think fresh legs are a waste of time If the players coming on aren't as good as what we have already on the field. Don't get me wrong, it's great seeing young and new players coming up through the ranks, but there is no point putting them on in major matches when they have no match experience.

Limerick didn't score once after Donovan and Kelly were taken off. You could see from the sidelines that Kelly was raring to get back on. I would say his altercation with Kildare player in extra time was partly due to the frustation he felt at being taken off in the first place. I can understand why Ger Collins was taken off, considering he has been nursing an injury, but we lost the game with the other substitutions we made.

I'm not calling for Horan to go, but I would have serious doubts over 'tactical' descisions he has made this season, where he consitently has chosen young, inexperienced players over our older, seasoned and experienced players.

Just my thoughts anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭chatjunkie

So lads, not long now til Sunday! How are ye feeling? Must admit I am very nervous, particularly after that under 21 fiasco last week. Hope we have everyone available for the game to have any hope. Would love to see Allis back fit and hope Condon is too. Would love to see them give the Cats a good game of it! Limerick abu!!!

anyone know what terrace limerick supporters are in on Sunday? Don't wanna end up in town end when all the limerick support are in killinan like :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

anyone know what terrace limerick supporters are in on Sunday? Don't wanna end up in town end when all the limerick support are in killinan like :p

Town end as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Does that mean Cork, Limerick and Waterford supporters are all in the Town end together?? Oh yea, and the Kilkenny fans also;)
    Anyone able to clarify this, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

skaface wrote: »
    Does that mean Cork, Limerick and Waterford supporters are all in the Town end together?? Oh yea, and the Kilkenny fans also;)

There is no segragation(sp?) so basically its free reign!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Just going by previous games, my guess would be it'll be Limerick and Cork/Waterford in the Town End and Kilkenny and Cork/Waterford in the Killenan. But of course there's always a few Limerick fans who'll get tickets late and end up in Killenan End.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Colemania wrote: »
    Just going by previous games, my guess would be it'll be Limerick and Cork/Waterford in the Town End and Kilkenny and Cork/Waterford in the Killenan. But of course there's always a few Limerick fans who'll get tickets late and end up in Killenan End.

So it'll be Limerick and Cork/Waterford in The town end, and Cork/Waterford in the Killinan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Condon doubtful according to the times - undergoing physio, personal dont think anyone wearing 2-9 should be on the field at less than 100%.

As for gameplan we cant worry about them blitzing us in the first 15, have to play our own game and attack them as Galway did. Show em an ounce of respect and your toast.

Best of luck lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Kilkenny fans will not travel in numbers to this one, they will easily have the smallest support on Sunday as they see it as a mere formality,and who would blame them. Just read an article in today's paper where a Kilkenny girl was speaking about emigration,she said 13 of her friends were off to Oz the day after they played the All-Ireland final. Was'nt been sarcastic,but thats just the winning mentality they have.
    Cork will have a good showing,as will Waterford because of the fierce rivalry over the last decade.
    Here's to 2 good games.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Absolutely gutted after the weekend, we were so so close....I think we deserved to win in normal time. Once it went to extra time, we were never going to do it, Kildare are one of the fittest teams around. But they gave it everything, and it just wasn't enough, but you'll always wonder what might have been if Galvin, Lavin, Lee, etc. had been available. At least some of the young players coming through look like they are capable of stepping up as we've got a woeful underage setup.

Limerick team named for Sunday v Kilkenny.

1. N. Quaid 2. S. Walsh 3. R. McCarthy 4. T. Condon 5. W. McNamara 6. D. O'Grady 7. G. O'Mahony 8. J. Ryan 9. P. O'Brien 10. S. Dowling 11. D. Hannon 12. D. Breen (C) 13. G. Mulcahy 14. N. Moran 15. S. Tobin.

Declan Hannon comes in for Geary. And Condon named also (that could change, hopefully not).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Best we can do (i think)

Best of luck lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Limerick team named for Sunday v Kilkenny.

1. N. Quaid 2. S. Walsh 3. R. McCarthy 4. T. Condon 5. W. McNamara 6. D. O'Grady 7. G. O'Mahony 8. J. Ryan 9. P. O'Brien 10. S. Dowling 11. D. Hannon 12. D. Breen (C) 13. G. Mulcahy 14. N. Moran 15. S. Tobin.

Declan Hannon comes in for Geary. And Condon named also (that could change, hopefully not).

Not too worried about Condon- only because we know that Seamus Hickey has plenty of experience at number 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭chatjunkie

Hi. Anybody know where I could get my hands on some stand tickets for Sunday? Left it too late it seems and have crippled my back so no way can I go in the terrace. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement