Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

chatjunkie wrote: »
    Hi. Anybody know where I could get my hands on some stand tickets for Sunday? Left it too late it seems and have crippled my back so no way can I go in the terrace. Thanks
    You can still get tickets for the Old Stand on gaa.ie. I just checked and they're still available on there.

So how is everyone feeling about tomorrow's game? I really think we can put it up to the Cats. We are young with no baggage from 07 final. We don't meet Kilkenny on a regular basis so we don't fear them like Wexford or Offaly might. And this I think is the important bit.

We have to be very physical from the off. We cannot afford to pay them any respect whatsoever. Our half forward line is key. They can't allow Tommy Walsh or Richie Doyle any early dominance. David Breen and Shane Dowling must up their performances significantly from the Clare game. I thought Clare half back line lorded it for long spells and this worries me. Declan Hannon must must MUST look to dominate their new boy Joyce at no 6. We must get off to a good start. If KK start well and stick a few goals like 07 then it's all over.

if we are at with them at half time, I would give us a great chance. There's a lot of mileage in KK and we our young guys should look to exploit this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

grenache wrote: »
    You can still get tickets for the Old Stand on gaa.ie. I just checked and they're still available on there.

So how is everyone feeling about tomorrow's game? I really think we can put it up to the Cats. We are young with no baggage from 07 final. We don't meet Kilkenny on a regular basis so we don't fear them like Wexford or Offaly might. And this I think is the important bit.

We have to be very physical from the off. We cannot afford to pay them any respect whatsoever. Our half forward line is key. They can't allow Tommy Walsh or Richie Doyle any early dominance. David Breen and Shane Dowling must up their performances significantly from the Clare game. I thought Clare half back line lorded it for long spells and this worries me. Declan Hannon must must MUST look to dominate their new boy Joyce at no 6. We must get off to a good start. If KK start well and stick a few goals like 07 then it's all over.

if we are at with them at half time, I would give us a great chance. There's a lot of mileage in KK and we our young guys should look to exploit this.

I agree. Some people aren't giving us a hope. Today is the day where these Limerick lads can't let Kilkenny have any dominance for a looong period of time like they let Clare back into the game the last time out. If we can get an early goal (which we know this team are capable of..) and keep up the intensity for the full 70, we have a chance. Match their physicality and can't let the likes of Tommy Walsh and Joyce clean them out.
    We have lads like Allis, Downes, Browne and possibly Hickey (if condon doesnt start) to bring on, if needed.
    Maybe I'm being totally optimistic right now but jesus, I'm wearing my limerick jersey and I'm soon to depart for Thurles. I can't feckin' wait :D H'on Limerick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hon Limerick!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the most optimistic but all we can do is give it everything we got, Galway showed they're not unbeatable. While it's not likely that'll happen again, if we hit them with a massive intensity, fight for every ball, while taking what chances we get, we'll be in with a decent chance. We have some massively talented hurlers, today they need to stand up and be counted.

/cliché

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Goals win games lads.... Ye did it against the poorer teams..... It's a pity ye played really good for the first half .... Kk cuteness came to the front .... Hannon and doweling played ok in first half died completely in the second half, ye need a lot of work on the back line....

Well...disappointing.

We didn't play badly, the first half was great but it's really infuriating the way we lost with a lot of very sloppy scores given away. Hard to know what to think really. Dowling was poor, Hannon wasn't really in the game, Mulcahy was probably the best of the forwards but even he was well marshalled in the second half. Richie Mc was immense... pity really. Kilkenny deserved their win, I suppose, and I wouldn't be surprised if they win the All-Ireland. Would have liked a crack off Cork or Waterford to see where we stand against the likes of them but I think we're pretty much on the same level...just behind Tipp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

No shame in loosing to Kilkenny lads ye have a very young team who will have learned from this experience. ye made a mockery of IA and IB hurling there is nothing between the standards. For Waterford and Limerick there is next year and I would place ye ahead of us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Right....

Hmmmm.. So..

4 Goals lads. 4 goals. You could tell from the off Kilkenny were attempting to exploit our full back line. Lobbing ball after ball in and around the square. Our backs had a tough time. Stephen Walsh was having a hard time with Shefflin, letting him get a few points. Put Condon on him and Shefflin then gets 2 goals... 2 unnecessary and 1 in particular we could have avoided if it wasn't for that mess up with Quaid coming off his line. Condon's knee was cleeeeaarly acting up when he went down, I don't get why they kept him on if his knee was dodge enough for him to go down, in the first place..

Wayne Mc cleared Richie Power out of it though. Immense. So happy with how he played. Richie Mc was unraaaail too. Our full back line is just inexperienced. Naive errors that let for some easy goals.

Paudie O Brien is really cementing his place in midfield for us. Played well. Deccy Hannon and Shane Dowling were kept quiet throughout. sooo disappointed tbh.

Like I'm not gonna be all pessimistic about our performance today. We played an epic first half. It was just KK's purple patch where they scored 2-5 that killed us off in the end. We're still a young team. I know it's being said all the time and all that but there is soooo much potential here, I actually shake (well... not really but y'get where Im going with this :p) with excitement. Dodge was the only person over 30 starting today. And he played well today. Most of the rest are at the 25 and under mark.

The ref was preety meh. Fussy, fussy, fussy. "take the puck out again" :rolleyes:

And Richie Hogan deserved that red card. Clear cut strike with the hurl. I went absolutely maaaad myself when I saw it was being ignored by the ref for a few seconds as he tried to continue play.

I dunno, I went to Thurles with the "we've got nothing to lose" mentality. And we didn't get an absolute thrassshing like what some people were expecting with the whole "OMG BACKLASH!1!" situation.. we just tend to fall asleep for periods of the game and let the other team back into it. Happened against tipp, clare and kk. This will hopefully change.. I'm disappointed about losing though.

And I sweaaaaar to god, if ONE MORE child got lost in semple stadium, I was gonna go mad. Parents, mind your kids!!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Not too surprised, bit disappointed though- I feel they were capable of being within 3/4 points. There was always a concern over how we would cope with an on form forward 6 from the likes of KK/Gal/Tip, we have 6 very nice hurlers in defence whose committment absolutely cannot be questioned, but a lot of them lack composure and there tends to be a lot of last ditch diving tackles and players ending up on the floor (stay on your feet lads, not much you can do on the ground), a player like Shefflin is smart enough to exploit a full back line with a tendancy to panic.

Experience should help that in time though. Another question mark was how would Limerick deal with the inevitable Kilkenny 10 minute purple patch. We all know the answer to that now!

Goal 3 was absolutely unforgivable, as soon as that ball was hit to Fogarty we all knew what was going to happen. He was under no pressure to catch that ball and under even less pressure to pick his spot. Whoever left him in that much space (Walsh?) effectively cost us the game as that goal ended it as a contest.

All in all though, a positive year. Hopefully the league will be restructured as I feel we would have benefited from playing the top 3/4 counties in the league (as we had rightfully earned last year anyway...) This was our first time playing Kilkenny since 2009 (not counting that farce of a 2010 campaign) and it showed in my opinion. Once Kilkenny stepped it up in the middle of the second half there was an air of "What the hell do we do now lads?" about the team.

A good learning experience and many improvements made in 2012. Biggest priority right now; keep John Allen. The players seem to respond well to him, continuity is important, especially in Limerick where the turnover of managers is a bit higher than we'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Was unsure how to feel about this, we done well but at the same time there were mistakes that shouldn't have been made that could made for a different finish.

We need a puck out strategy, half forwards failed to win any high ball and kk half back dominance in the 2nd half killed us.

Allen was too slow to make changes, given the same thing happened against tipp it's worrying.

We need a real centre back, Hannon? He was ineffective at 12. Push DOG to 8, jim bob as back up.

Overall good year, but management need to make the right decisions to push us on.

Paudie O'Brien and Richie were very good.

Here kind of fecked in Div 2 next year, need to win it and get a game against one of the big div 1 teams in a semi final, to get a real idea of where we are before championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

I was very pleased with the effort yesterday.

I have seen much much worse over the years.

Over the last 2 years we have upped our workrate considerably in the championship which has seen us play at our best since the Tom Ryan era.Lets be fair we do have some limited hurlers but the hard work the panel has shown has been immense.

It would have been a major upset had we won yesterday.Other than Donal O grady we did not have one player who had played more than 5+ years consistently at senior level.this up against a team with tyrell,shefflin,walsh,delaney,hickey et al who have 5+ all irelands.it was too much to ask of this bunch to win.

the first half performance I would rate as one of our best given the opposition.we battled for almost everything.to see graeme mulcahy win the ball for the goal was incredible.the likes of ritchie mac and wayne mac gave terrific displays.the chasing of the kilkenny forwards when in possession was also a big plus.

The goals were bad to give away but with shefflin and power this is always likely so I wouldnt be too upset over it.other than rueing the injury tom condon was carrying.

the response to the goals was great to see.too often KK get the early goals to see off opponents so to come back was a positive.

The game was lost in the 3rd quarter but when you put 70 minutes worth of effort into a half the cracks were gonna show eventually.the long ball clearances in the second half were desperation stuff and into a kilkenny wall was playing into their hands.the space was gone for our forwards in the 2nd half but cody was raging with the defence in the 1st half so no surprised they closed us off.the first half extertions took their toll on limerick so they were running on empty for a finish.

the 3th/4th goals were bad ones to concede (a lapse of concentration on the corner backs part) but kilkennys class was always going to tell at some stage.

it was a ruthless demolition job in the 3rd quarter but it was to be expected.we are not at the level of kilkenny and tipp so when they get going its hard to stop them as was shown yesterday.

Just a few more points

- Ritchie mccarthy was very good throughout the season.and proved a lot of his doubters wrong.

-as were wayne mac,paudie o brien and donal o grady.

-hannon and dowling werent great but in the long run thats no bad thing.the step up is light years ahead of ard scoil ris/na piarsiagh/minor etc and maybe the hype has been put down somewhat.when the young squad won games in 2001 they did not receive harsh lessons until later on.the fact that the young players met the immovable object that is the cats will stand to them if they put in twice as much effort the next few seasons.

- the management made mistakes in the league but proved themselves in the championship displays.we could have made subs sooner yesterday but the outcome imho would not have been different.we have a good mix of players and we now look to have a plan and organization that we have been lacking for some time.

-we now know what lies ahead to break into the top 4.no ifs/buts/maybes for the year.no all ireland left after us.just the harsh reality that we were game but fell short of where we want to be.I believe the panel are hurting today but can come back if they hit the ground running in the club championship and beyond.we now stand at 5th/6th in the pecking order and know their is huge graft ahead of us to compete.

-the footballers have shown what can be achieved with a dedicated bunch over the decade.I see the hurlers now as where the footballers were in 2000/01.committed but absorbing harsh lessons on the way but of enormous benefit over the next 10 years.the hurlers have followed a similar path the last 18 months and could do no worse than take a look at how the senior footballers have managed in difficult circumstances.

• Advertisement

Hannon showed glimpses of what he's capable of this year but was a passenger at times- important to stress that this was due to injury, he has been playing through the pain barrier all year, hopefully he gets a much needed break once the club championship is over.

I'm very happy for Donal O'Grady, he did well at centre back, he's a very intelligent hurler, I initially wasn't sure how he'd fare but he never let the team down. I'd be happy to have him at centre back for another year or two. Gavin O'Mahony and Wayne McNamara both made great improvements as the year went on. Richie McCarthy did well, I do wish he was a few inches taller though. I believe we need to integrate the two Na Piarsaigh defenders into the panel; James O'Brien (best centre back in the county in club hurling) and Dempsey (Alan?)- about the only player we had that looked the part at under 21 this year.

Seamus Hickey; I hope Murroe-Boher have a long run in the county championship and that he gets a full NHL campaign next Spring, a player of his ability should be one of the first names on the teamsheet- he hasn't played much hurling this year due to being abroad/injury and the lack of gametime showed.

Niall Moran; give credit where it's due, he did well this year, I single him out because he has taken an awful lot of criticism down the years, hopefully he can keep it up for another few years.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic but I can't help but feel a bit frustrated. Still no win in Munster since 2007 (only the one victory since 2001), unless the GAA come to their senses we'll still be playing second tier hurling next year, and I'm getting fed up of the moral victory type stuff, getting plaudits for performing well against the top teams but not beating them. We have already had a team of promising young players 10 years ago so I'm sure this crop of players will be all too aware that talent and potential is not enough.

We've had 2011 and 2012 to gain plenty of valuable experience. It's time to step up in 2013, so here's hoping they're ready for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Does anyone else think that both Hannon and Dowling would seem to be carrying a bit of weight, Hannon can be put down to been unable to train regularly, but I thought both Sunday and in the u-21 game Dowling looked very slugish and quite frankly unfit.

Does anyone else think that both Hannon and Dowling would seem to be carrying a bit of weight, Hannon can be put down to been unable to train regularly, but I thought both Sunday and in the u-21 game Dowling looked very slugish and quite frankly unfit.

I wouldn't feel that Hannon has any issues with his physique but Dowling does strike me as not quite looking like a 19 year old hurler perhaps should! My understanding is that there was a strong emphasis placed on strength/weight training at the expense of fitness training with him.

jordainius wrote: »
    I wouldn't feel that Hannon has any issues with his physique but Dowling does strike me as not quite looking like a 19 year old hurler perhaps should! My understanding is that there was a strong emphasis placed on strength/weight training at the expense of fitness training with him.
    If that is the case then it definitely hasn't worked, its like his feet were in cement. Me mother was wondering if he had glandular fever or something given that this time last year u-21 v cork he was immense.

Anyway i guess everyone's fairly positive but we have to kick on next year and beat one of the big 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Not sure about Hannon.would have to look again.

As regards Dowling he looks sluggish but the amount of hurling he has played in 2011 may be catching up.

Last year he played with Ard scoil Ris from january-march, the limerick minors from april-june, the 21s from july-august, and his club throughout the year.the clubs run to the all ireland semi meant he played around 60 weeks worth of games without a break.you could bet the house he would have been on in limerick senior squad last year only for the leaving cert.it is absolute overkill for the young fella and he needs a break big time.

AFAIK he is is nuig so come september he will be one of the big name players for them and only adds to the amount of games he will have to play.

He was poor on sunday and was likely to struggle against such a formidable side such as kilkennys.He still has it all to prove at senior level I reckon but the demands placed on him could see his career at the highest level shortened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I am trying to carry out some research and was wondering if anyone could help. I was wondering at what stages are the Senior Hurling and Football Championships in Limerick, and where is the best place to keep up with results and fixtures in these championships, for someone outside the county who cannot get the local papers or to hear the local radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I am trying to carry out some research and was wondering if anyone could help. I was wondering at what stages are the Senior Hurling and Football Championships in Limerick, and where is the best place to keep up with results and fixtures in these championships, for someone outside the county who cannot get the local papers or to hear the local radio stations.

Try: http://milford.limerick.gaa.ie/limerick-club-results/shc

or search on twitter for certain results. Everything is on twitter these days!

Semis and quarters respectively.

And the Milford site is great, I wholeheartedly agree with that recommendation. You'll get reports on some of the bigger matches on the limerick leader site but for results and stuff, Milford is the place to go.

Milford gaa is an excellent site for these matters, its run by a man from that (now sadly defunct) club and he updates it every weekend- puts our county board and their own website to shame. (From what I could gather last year, even the county board used the Milford site to update their own.)

For results as they happen follow "@LimerickGAATracker" or "@LimerickCLG" on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

You can also google -- Limerick Gaa Forum Hoganstand. here you can get comments from people who were at games, results and predictions for upcoming matches. And there is the odd arguement thrown in as well between supporters of rival clubs...:D

• Advertisement

Hannon got ared in the QF, anyone know if they appealed? as i heard it wasnt a sending off offence at all.

The kilmallock v Na piarsaigh game could be great but i think Na piarsaigh should have too much.

Hannon got ared in the QF, anyone know if they appealed? as i heard it wasnt a sending off offence at all.

The kilmallock v Na piarsaigh game could be great but i think Na piarsaigh should have too much.

It was a definite red, no appeal. "Foul and abusive language" at the referee.

Kilmallock and Na Piarsaigh is very tough to call. Looking forward to it, should be a fine game.

Ah ok,

Was at the Garry v emmets game, garry were given a huge help by emmets having had to play club games on the friday they ran out of steam in the second half and garry made experience tell. Garry lack a scoring forward to trouble adare i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

Really looking forward to these matches at the weekend. I think that Garryspillane will beat Adare without Hannon.

I can't pick a winner in the other match. Na Piarsaigh's form has improved as the Championship went on & they have a strong team with excellent forwards but Kilmallock have a strong team throughout. if I had to get off the fence I'd say Kilmallock purely cause they might have a bit more hunger & Na Piarsaigh lads have a lot of hurling done in the last 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 corkrback

has joe quaid been passsed over for the minor job? bit surprising that.

corkrback wrote: »
    has joe quaid been passsed over for the minor job? bit surprising that.

No surprise at all, just the latest in a long line of "interesting" appointments made at minor and u21 by our "esteemed" county board in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

It's very surprising alright but your man who is getting it was involved in the U-17's this year tbf. Having said that there seems to have been huge politics involved in the vote.

Is Joe Quaid going to be in charge of the U-17's this coming year & is he lined up to be in charge of the minors the year after?

jordainius wrote: »
    No surprise at all, just the latest in a long line of "interesting" appointments made at minor and u21 by our "esteemed" county board in recent years.

Was talking to an uncle in America recently who played 2 years at minor way back.

They got hammered, i asked him why, he said we'd the wrong team on the field because of politics. You'd wonder if we'll ever win an All Ireland with the nonsense that goes on.

That said i know nothing of quaids qualifications.
    Speaking of the name, anyone see Aaron murphy from hospital play in goals? I hear he's the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

[QUOTE Is Joe Quaid going to be in charge of the U-17's this coming year & is he lined up to be in charge of the minors the year after?[/QUOTE]

I would imagine Quaid would automatically be in charge of the U-17s next season as they are the same bunch that he has just managed to an all-ireland U-16 success. I may be wrong but my understanding was that a management team is given a team at U-14 and are expected to commit to this bunch right through to minor. Think this was all a part of the "Raising the Treaty" programme started a few years ago. I think this is actually a great idea as it gives continuity to both players and management. The fruits of this were the AI win a few weeks ago, the first time in the 25 year history of the competition that a Limerick team have won it.
    So it would make complete sense for Quaid and his selectors stay with the present bunch and aim for a minor success.
    Or maybe there is a some incentive now to be part of the minor set-up since Jerry Wallis has come on board. Remember its not that long ago that
    people had to be virtually begged to take on these jobs..:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

As a matter of interest, who was your uncle???
    Was talking to an uncle in America recently who played 2 years at minor way back.

They got hammered, i asked him why, he said we'd the wrong team on the field because of politics. You'd wonder if we'll ever win an All Ireland with the nonsense that goes on.

That said i know nothing of quaids qualifications.
    Speaking of the name, anyone see Aaron murphy from hospital play in goals? I hear he's the business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement