Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Was talking to an uncle in America recently who played 2 years at minor way back.

They got hammered, i asked him why, he said we'd the wrong team on the field because of politics. You'd wonder if we'll ever win an All Ireland with the nonsense that goes on.

That said i know nothing of quaids qualifications.
    Speaking of the name, anyone see Aaron murphy from hospital play in goals? I hear he's the business.

Murphy is a fine goalkeeper. Unbelievable puckout aswell, must be one of the longest in the country. Considering Nicky Quaid's ability outfield, he must be worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

As a matter of interest, who was your uncle???

I'll tell you over a pint someday maybe. But he played against babs at minor so its a long time ago (also the other reason why they lost)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 feckarse

Aaron murphy is a savage keeper and I'd like to see him get a chance in the league next year with Nicky given a go at CB.
    As someone said he has some puckout but is also a quality shot stopper. Made some great saves last year for u21s V Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Early 1960s. Limerick won Munsters in 1963 and 1965 so it wasnt those years anyway
    I'll tell you over a pint someday maybe. But he played against babs at minor so its a long time ago (also the other reason why they lost)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Back in May, Granagh-Ballingarry defeated Adare in the first round of the championship. Today, Adare qualify for another county final and Granagh-Ballingarry have been relegated to intermediate. They were a decent team, hopefully they wont take too long to come back up again.

Kilmallock v Na Piarsaigh was a fantastic game of hurling!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Anyone in Tournafulla today for the West Junior A final?

The following post may contain some hyperbole.

That was the best game of county hurling ive seen the matches between kilmallock and the well in the mid 90's. Even then the main attraction was houlihan and carmody knocking the **** out of each other.

This was great hurling, two teams playing quality open hurling.

22 mins before the first wide, i only counted 5 wides the whole game.

3 goals in the first 4 minutes.

Congrats to both sets of players and management for a great game, take a bow lads.

From a limerick perspective the following.

Allen has to get some big results next year. We have to win our first round championship match regardless of opposition, the talent is there.

Tony considine has really put it up the county board, he took garry to a county has won one with killmallock and is odds on to win a second. He'd have to get the job if there's a change of manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Anyone in Tournafulla today for the West Junior A final?

Just heard a result on WL radio.
    Monagea beat Glin 1-13 to 1-10

Centre forward is still our problem position, lets see where hannon plays in the final.

Centre back

Graham mulcahy is the most stylish hurler in Ireland and for the first 20 minutes he was unreal, his sublime passing set the template for kilmallock and set them up for the win.

But as ever he drifted out of the game

James O'Brien - different style of centre back, but is still capable at county level.

Either of these two should start at CB, preferably O'Brien with graham at half back.

Egan had some game at half back also for killmallock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

washman3 wrote: »
    Just heard a result on WL radio.
    Monagea beat Glin 1-13 to 1-10
    Glin have a terrible record in West finals,I think that's their 4th final loss in a row!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 feckarse

hi lads, would appreciate if anyone at the gaelic grounds today could put up reports of the two games. thanks.

feckarse wrote: »
    hi lads, would appreciate if anyone at the gaelic grounds today could put up reports of the two games. thanks.

The first was terrible the second was brilliant. Total hurling fro both sides with killmallock picking up a deserved win. Graham mul scored 3-3, with tonsilitis apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Treble20 wrote: »
    Glin have a terrible record in West finals,I think that's their 4th final loss in a row!

Glin down to 13 men, up by 3 points with 8 minutes to go ended up losing by a goal...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Glin down to 13 men, up by 3 points with 8 minutes to go ended up losing by a goal...:(
    What a terrible way to lose! Still they're in the County regardless but you wouldn't hold out much hope for them to win that.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

The 2nd match was a great game of hurling. As said already two teams playing open hurling trying to outscore each other. I thought Paidi O'Brien & Robbie Egan were outstanding in the middle of the field for Kilmallock. I think Egan got three points, he definitely got 2. Eoin Ryan setup about 5 scores with some really clever passes including an unreal flick on for Kilmallock's third goal.

The fact that the first game was such a poor spectacle only added to the enjoyment of the second game. Adare looked impressive & will be happy enough that all the talk will be about Kilmallock. I think when one game is superior to the other people tend to underestimate the winners of the poorer quality game. John Fitzgibbon & Willie Griffin got a lot of the scores for Adare & the backs played well as a unit not giving Garryspillane too many chances to get back in to the game. With Declan Hannon to come back, the county final should be a good contest.

Think egan got 2 from half back, eoin ryan and paudie o brien at midfield.

Also thought it was egan who gave the wunder pass for the goal? but the hands are so quick it was hard to follow at times.

Agee with you about adare and the first match

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

Think egan got 2 from half back, eoin ryan and paudie o brien at midfield.

Also thought it was egan who gave the wunder pass for the goal? but the hands are so quick it was hard to follow at times.

Agee with you about adare and the first match

Egan was wearing 7 but was playing midfield & Eoin Ryan was wearing 8 but was playing half forward. It was 2 he got so. He nearly put them out of the grounds!!

There were so many wonder passes & flicks it was hard to keep up but I thought it was Ryan that just backflick doubled (is that the right phrase??) the ball on for Mulcahy.

For Na Piarsaigh's first goal(I think) Downes passed a bouncing ball handball style back against the play. Completely opened up the fullback line. He's a good man to play a pass like that, he has very good awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I presume you mean Gavin O'Mahony for CB?
    Centre forward is still our problem position, lets see where hannon plays in the final.

Centre back

Graham mulcahy is the most stylish hurler in Ireland and for the first 20 minutes he was unreal, his sublime passing set the template for kilmallock and set them up for the win.

But as ever he drifted out of the game

James O'Brien - different style of centre back, but is still capable at county level.

Either of these two should start at CB, preferably O'Brien with graham at half back.

Egan had some game at half back also for killmallock.

I presume you mean Gavin O'Mahony for CB?

I do yes, who knows though with grahams pace he could be a revelation there:D

And yes it was BOS at half back with egan at midfield , as corrected earlier. I'll have to improve my attention to detail.

• Advertisement

Anyway, Kilmallock were excellent all over the field yesterday, hope they go on to win the county and Munster now. Hard to believe this was the same Na P team from the quarter final. Maybe only 4 players emerged with any credit and a few players weren't even shadows of what they were in the club championship last year. I suppose it can just go like that when another team gets well on top. In saying that while you would never like to lose it might be a good thing for a few of the younger players after a very long two years playing for multiple teams and could be a good thing for Limerick next year. Also, it will be a serious motivation for Na P next year as was Kilmallocks loss last year.

Hope the county final now is a decent game, Kilmallock should go on to win it and have the experience to go on and win Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Anyway, Kilmallock were excellent all over the field yesterday, hope they go on to win the county and Munster now. Hard to believe this was the same Na P team from the quarter final. Maybe only 4 players emerged with any credit and a few players weren't even shadows of what they were in the club championship last year. I suppose it can just go like that when another team gets well on top. In saying that while you would never like to lose it might be a good thing for a few of the younger players after a very long two years playing for multiple teams and could be a good thing for Limerick next year. Also, it will be a serious motivation for Na P next year as was Kilmallocks loss last year.

Hope the county final now is a decent game, Kilmallock should go on to win it and have the experience to go on and win Munster.

Dangerous to talk of winning Munster before they have won the county ! If they do win the county and they have a really good chance on yesterdays display , they should remember that Limerick teams have an appalling record in the club championship.

shawnee wrote: »
    Dangerous to talk of winning Munster before they have won the county ! If they do win the county and they have a really good chance on yesterdays display , they should remember that Limerick teams have an appalling record in the club championship.

Na Piarsaigh did win it last year.

Kilmallock are a very strong side but to be fair, the club championship is always unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Yeah , first Limerick club in almost twenty years to win Munster and no Limerick club has won the All Ireland. Waterford, Tipp, Cork and Clare have all managed to do it. Na Piarsaigh looked good last year and failed to went out rather tamely. ;)

shawnee wrote: »
    Yeah , first Limerick club in almost twenty years to win Munster and no Limerick club has won the All Ireland. Waterford, Tipp, Cork and Clare have all managed to do it. Na Piarsaigh looked good last year and failed to went out rather tamely. ;)

They went out to the eventual winners after extra time???

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

In 1996 the County Board had 20 Questions for Tom Ryan. In 2012 the listeners of West Limerick Radio had 20 Questions for the County Board. Here is an 18 minute Soundcloud discussion and the 20 questions

http://soundcloud.com/west-limerick-radio-sport/sat-20-questions

These are the questions and subsequent discussion on them for all to hear. No agenda, just facts. Feel free to comment and e-mail me on westlimerickradiosport'@gmail.com. These were the questions by the way:

1. If Joe Quaid had agreed to take the u-17 panel then jerry Wallace would have been the physical trainer. Why then if Joe was minor manager he would not be available to him?

2. Why are there people involved at a senior officer level in Limerick who have no interest in football, some of them openly ridiculing the game?

3. Why were 3 members of the co management committee on the minor selection committee? Conflict of interest.

4. Why is the treatment that was dished out to Pat Herbert in 2003 when he was shafted at the last minute to facilitate the appointment of Pajoe Whelehan being repeated in 2012 by the shafting of Joe Quaid? It was a disgrace in 2003 and is a disgrace now. It stinks of politics.

5. Why did delegates at last weeks meeting not cast their vote which made it look even more one sided than it was?

6. Why does it take so long to get a reply to an e-mail from the County Board?

7. Why is there almost no promotion going on from County Board level with flags of almost every sport except GAA being flown on bridges, shops fronts and street banners?

8. Why is the county website not updated regularly so that supporters do not have to go to outside websites to get news and results/fixtures?

9. Why is there a massive gap during the summer where there is hardly a game of hurling played and at the latter stages of the summer a glut of fixtures on top of each other?

10. If divisional sides are to be allowed play in senior championship, why are fixtures made so as to inconvenience as many players as possible?

11. Why are county Bórd na N-Óg not allowed to appoint or have a say in the appointment of underage management?

12. You now have a person over the minors that did not come through the ranks, so if you do a good job at under age you will be shafted when it suits the powers that be. How is the CB going to encourage ex county players or very good club coaches to get involved?

13. Why do clubs not hold their CB delegates to account especially as there is ample evidence to suggest that these delegates use the vote as they see fit rather than as they have been instructed by their respective clubs?

14. Why were senior officers of the CB canvassing for one of the candidates for the election of minor manager? Should they be allowed to do this and if so what justification can there be for it?

15. Can a system of verifiable voting be implemented at meetings especially on such important matters as appointment of managers and officers?

16. Can clubs come up with a formula to eradicate the ‘musical chairs’ that goes on year after year at convention?

17. Why are there rumours every year that people have been chosen even before it becomes known they are running for office?

18. Why would some existing officers not consider retiring thereby allowing some new blood to go back to basics and drive Limerick GAA forward?

19. Lifting the treaty was passed on October 7th 2008 and one of the main points in it and one of the points sold to clubs was the promise of continuity at under age level, young players got to know their manager and the manager got to know the players and this would lead to success for limerick eventually, the very ethos of fair play and in belief the future of our county, all the clubs were sold a pack of lies, we cannot now believe in a county board that has not abided by a written document which the clubs were told could not and would not be changed. Please explain is there something about Joe Quaid that the clubs should know, or what other reason is there for him not being appointed to the minor management. I ask the county board to refer to the document passed on Oct 7th 2008.

20. Why does it always have to be WLR102 that asks these questions? Is no-one else capable of doing so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Well no.8 certainly strikes a chord, the website is embarrassingly amateurish

People's thoughts for the final on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Cant see nothing but a Kilmallock win in this one. Hope i'm wrong but it could be one of the most one-sided senior finals in years. Maybe Deccie Hannon can weave some of his magic for Adare. Mulcahy will take some stopping for Kilmallock, he was "on fire" in the semi.
    Will this be Adare's first senior final without Mark Foley??

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    People's thoughts for the final on Sunday?

Hopefully Hannon has a stormer and plays to level we know he's capable of after a frustrating year of injury. Even if he does Killmallock will win well. They were the best club team I've seen in years against Na P who were carrying a few injuries and couldn't reach the heights of the year before. I fully expect Kilmallock to win Munster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement