Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Well hopefully...he certainly has the dominating physical presence. I'd wonder about whether he has the required mobility though, could be expose to forwards running at him. But we'll see, he has to be given a chance first.

You're probably right about his physicality in a half-back line with DOG and GOM. But if O'Brien were to be centre-back, I would drop Wayne Mac. No one can doubt his effort, commitment and his physical presence but I don't think his skill levels are quite on the same level. Although 2 years in a row he has scored great goals from barnstorming runs up the pitch, they are a great sight.

I think Allis would be a brilliant impact sub if nothing else, he's extremely quick and would be a threat to most backlines. He'll be battling for a first-team place, it'll depend on his form and the form of others.

In theory, Dowling is great at that, he's shown he can do it before. But against both Clare and Kilkenny, he was pretty anonymous. Can't remember him winning won high ball and don't think he scored from play. In fact only Moran and Breen won any sort of ball. I know he's only young but for someone so talented, I was disappointed and we have to have people who can win their own ball in the half-forwards.

I think Downes will be lethal wherever he plays, disappointing that he was plagued with so many injuries this year, and then never got a proper runout.

I think we're on the same page on most things there.

I think Dowling may have suffered in the last two games from having played such a long season. Don't know if he was carrying any niggles but he looked exhausted. I think he will really benefit from a bit of rest and decent preseason training if he gets it. A fully fit Hannon alongside him will take some pressure off too.

I think centre back is the only problem position really. If we got that sorted we have a bunch of players for the wings and midfield. DOG did really well there this year but isn't a long term solution. Hickey might have been earmarked to play there if he had been fit all season but I'm not sure he'd make centre back either. GOM might be a bit lightweight for 6. If O'Brien could step in there and command that area if would be a huge boost. However he'd be a completely different type player to DOG last year who covered huge amounts of ground and swept up ball all around the backline last year so I don't know would that affect how the backline would be selected too.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

If Lavin held Graham Mulcahy in the county final, then he should definitely be given a run next year. Age is irrelevant. Saw Mulcahy about 5 times this year & he was dangerous & prob scored in every game. We're not picking next years panel to build a team for 5 years time. We got to a QF for the last 2 years so the aim should be an AI for next year. If Lavin can contribute then he should be given a chance.
    Agree about Downes at wing forward. He is a great man to catch a high ball & might get a bit more freedom out half forward. Na Piarsaigh lads will be all the better next year after a bit of a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I think Dowling may have suffered in the last two games from having played such a long season. Don't know if he was carrying any niggles but he looked exhausted. I think he will really benefit from a bit of rest and decent preseason training if he gets it. A fully fit Hannon alongside him will take some pressure off too.

I thought personally Dowling looked overweight in the second half of the season, is that something he has suffered with previously?

Agreed re. Hannon and he probably shouldn't have played at all this year as he was no where near fit and the long term damage could have been far greater than any possible short term gain, when fully fit he will be ahuge asset to Limerick for many years to come.

I thought personally Dowling looked overweight in the second half of the season, is that something he has suffered with previously?

Agreed re. Hannon and he probably shouldn't have played at all this year as he was no where near fit and the long term damage could have been far greater than any possible short term gain, when fully fit he will be ahuge asset to Limerick for many years to come.

In fairness he's only 19, can't expect him to be a superstar fitness wise just yet, especially the amount of teams he played for non-stop over the previous 18 months. As for Hannon, I'm sure his injury was managed as best as possible, can't just write off an entire season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Well, i think we're all agreed that for the first time since...........the glass is half full.

Now we need management, clubs, county boards etc to get the most out of this group. Here's hoping we catch a few breaks next year and beat one of the big three. (if thats tipp in the semi, i want a munster title). Be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

NHL fixtures out, that god awful format still in place for 2013. Home games to Antrim and Carlow should put us into a good position before away trips to Dublin and Offaly with a home tie against Wexford in the final round.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

You're probably right about Dowling, I mean he's such a skilful hurler than he's bound to come good in the big games. Not even 20 yet... hopefully will be fresh for the new season.

And same with Hannon, he was great against Kilmallock... he was probably even more disappointing against Kilkenny this year. But he wasn't fully fit and is a genuine class act. I really hope he can have a full season without any injuries next year.

I'd probably agree with that tbh...he probably has a tendency to put on more weight than someone like Hannon. Think if he lost that extra bit, it would help...he wouldn't be the quickest player in any case. But Joe Canning always had a bit of problem with weight imo and he's been much more effective this year since he lost it. Hopefully Dowling can do the same.

Published on Tuesday 16 October 2012 09:07

WITH Kilmallock crowned Limerick senior hurling champions and preparing for their Munster club battle with Thurles Sarsfields, Jerome O’Connell picks his Limerick SHC team of the season and outlines the reasons for his selections.

Kilmallock dominate the team with six players, while a total of six different clubs are represented. Just three members of John Allen’s 2012 Limerick senior hurling panel are named in the team.

1. Barry Hennessy (Kilmallock)

Was beaten a number of times but with his full back line somewhat uncertain Hennessy came to his side’s rescue a number of times with vital saves. One of the most dedicated club players in the county, his puckouts and use of the sliothar in open play are top class. Na Piarsaigh captain Padraig Kennedy, Brian Murray (Patrickswell), Ahane stalwart Seanie O’Connor and Doon youngster Darragh Stapleton also had their moments of brilliance.

2. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)

The Caherdavin men never reached the heights of 2011, but Dempsey was one of those to maintain standards in a defence that was often much changed from their title winning run. Patrickswell’s Paul O’Reilly and Emmets Jimmy Barry Murphy were other tight marking corner backs.

Rest of the list at this link http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/gaelic-games/limerick-shc-some-tough-choices-on-our-club-hurling-team-of-the-year-1-4373776

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Not a bad team in fairness by Jerome O Connell. Alot of players were picked on consistancey and he gave a good spread around to different clubs. If picking an All-Stars style Limerick team (i.e majority of players from final pairings, I would pick the following:

1. Brian Murray (Patrickswell)
    2. Liam Hurley (Kilmallock)
    3. Pa Mann (Patrickswell)
    4. Stephen Lavin (Adare)
    5. Ross Kennedy (Adare)
    6. Wayne McNamara (Adare)
    7. Gavin O Mahony (Kilmallock)
    8. Paudie O Brien (Kilmallock)
    9. Robert Egan (Kilmallock)
    10. Declan Hannon (Adare)
    11. Paudie O'Dwyer (Kilmallock)
    12. Eoin Ryan (Kilmallock)
    13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)
    14. Seanie O Brien (Patrickswell)
    15. Adrian Breen (Na Piarsigh)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Published on Tuesday 16 October 2012 09:07

WITH Kilmallock crowned Limerick senior hurling champions and preparing for their Munster club battle with Thurles Sarsfields, Jerome O’Connell picks his Limerick SHC team of the season and outlines the reasons for his selections.

Kilmallock dominate the team with six players, while a total of six different clubs are represented. Just three members of John Allen’s 2012 Limerick senior hurling panel are named in the team.

1. Barry Hennessy (Kilmallock)

Was beaten a number of times but with his full back line somewhat uncertain Hennessy came to his side’s rescue a number of times with vital saves. One of the most dedicated club players in the county, his puckouts and use of the sliothar in open play are top class. Na Piarsaigh captain Padraig Kennedy, Brian Murray (Patrickswell), Ahane stalwart Seanie O’Connor and Doon youngster Darragh Stapleton also had their moments of brilliance.

2. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)

The Caherdavin men never reached the heights of 2011, but Dempsey was one of those to maintain standards in a defence that was often much changed from their title winning run. Patrickswell’s Paul O’Reilly and Emmets Jimmy Barry Murphy were other tight marking corner backs.

Rest of the list at this link http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/gaelic-games/limerick-shc-some-tough-choices-on-our-club-hurling-team-of-the-year-1-4373776

I shortened this and included the link due to the new internet laws introduced by Sean Sherlock a while back. Better safe than sorry.

• Advertisement

So our county's main radio station (Limerick 95) believe the Intermediate hurling semi finals are worthy of being broadcast but not the final itself, crappy pop music at the moment instead. And west limerick radio can't air it either or they will probably threatened with legal action again like they were a few years back...

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

A great win for Ballybrown in the Intermediate hurling final defeating Dromin-Athlacca 1-15 to 0-13. Delighted for Ballybrown and good to see them back in the senior grade again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Bit of Drom/Broadford team news : Cillian Fahy comes in for Brian Noonan , Fahy will play as a 3rd midfielder

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Absent

Bit of Drom/Broadford team news : Cillian Fahy comes in for Brian Noonan , Fahy will play as a 3rd midfielder

We are getting all the wrong headlines after what happened at full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Does anyone know when the replay will be on? I'm hoping NCW will win this time round

I'm 95% certain its this Friday night under lights (7.15pm) in the Gaelic Grounds.

Edit; Make that 100%. Definitly Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

I see the report in today's examiner of yesterday's football and they named the fan who entered the field. It's common knowledge who the so called fan is at this stage but unbelievably this man done the very same thing in the Gaelic Grounds back in 2004 against NCW and it was a brother of the player he struck yesterday that he hit that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

A clown of around 60 years of age who should be at home walking his dogs instead of running onto a GAA pitch to atttack a player who has been training for circa 10 months for a game like this, all because his 6'4" manchild of a son was cynically fouled. He has brought shame to his family,his club,his county and the game of Gaelic football. He will always be remembered for the coward that disrupted a county final. I'd put down a wager that an eejit like him never played a game of anything in his life.
    Hopefully sometime at a lower profile game he'll get 40 different kinds of ****e knocked out of him.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2012/1023/342797-limerick-board-hand-supporter-a-96-week-ban/

96 week ban for Martin Stokes. Proper order, more incidents like this should see the individuals named and shamed which is a greater penalty than the ban itself...

County Junior A final fixed for the hometown of the county chairman; Liam Lenihan's Tournafulla. What a joke, Tournafulla is just not a suitable venue for a county final; the village is too small to accommodate parking, and the venue itself is not suitable from a spectators point of view; not suitable for large or even medium sized crowds.

Newcastlewest was the perfect venue, right in the middle of Monagea and St Kierans. It can cope with parking, offers supporters a good stand and plenty of room for supporters on both sides of the pitch. After Newcastlewest; Feenagh or Mick Neville Park Rathkeale or even Ballyagran would have made more sense. But no, lets look after Tournafulla, let them get their cut. Who cares about whats best for the supporters or the teams themselves.... A joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Just seeing photos of the incident. Not pretty at all. What did Kelly do to be sent off?

Not his biggest fan at all just from intercounty matches. He was more interested in throwing dirty digs the last two games against Kerry then he was in playing football. But still players have to be protected from eejits in the stand.

The supporter was the player (who was fouled)'s father? Was it a bad enough foul that the father would lose the head?

Not trying to justify the attack or anything, just want to put a picture together in my head. Awful thing to happen to any player. Saw pictures of him on the ground after, so must have been a fine belt he got.

EDIT: I see it was a second yellow. Stupid actions from Mr. Stokes etiher way, but he had nothing to be riled up over. Its a pity from Drom/Broadford as they have a very good reputation around the country over the last few years. Would hate to see that tarnished by the stupid actions of one man.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Just seeing photos of the incident. Not pretty at all. What did Kelly do to be sent off?

Not his biggest fan at all just from intercounty matches. He was more interested in throwing dirty digs the last two games against Kerry then he was in playing football. But still players have to be protected from eejits in the stand.

The supporter was the player (who was fouled)'s father? Was it a bad enough foul that the father would lose the head?

Not trying to justify the attack or anything, just want to put a picture together in my head. Awful thing to happen to any player. Saw pictures of him on the ground after, so must have been a fine belt he got.

EDIT: I see it was a second yellow. Stupid actions from Mr. Stokes etiher way, but he had nothing to be riled up over. Its a pity from Drom/Broadford as they have a very good reputation around the country over the last few years. Would hate to see that tarnished by the stupid actions of one man.

The game was in injury time with NCW leading by a point and on the attack.
    the attack broke down, ball was played to Jason Stokes around 50 metres from his own goal and 40 metres approx from sideline. Kelly chased him for a few metres and cynically brought him down to stop the D/B momentun. as Kelly had already received a yellow the ref had no option but to flash a second and a red. dont think Kelly even disputed this as he knew exactly what he was doing. not a dirty foul at all,just a cynical rugby tackle or exactly the type of foul some Limerick player should have committed a few months ago V Kildare in Portloaise that cost Limerick that game.
    D/B took the free very quickly and moved the ball upfield to score a brilliant equaliser.
    While this was happening Papa Stokes ran 30-40 metres onto the pitch to confront Kelly who was making his way off. he pushed/struck Kelly in the face and proceeded to "square up to him"
    As this was happening Baby Stokes struck Kelly from behind knocking him to the ground. looked like Kelly sustained a nasty black eye as a result.
    No action was taken against either Stokes at the time as 99% of people followed the play. the pictures were taken by the spotsfile photographer as the melee was in his eyeline from where he photographed the game.
    The game itself was a fine game an an excellent advert for Limerick football.
    Probably young Kelly's finest ever game for his club,scoring an excellent 2-2.
    Was between himself and Seanie Buckly for man of match.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

The photos are on the Sportsfile website, shocking stuff. The Leeds united fan who struck the goalkeeper got 4 months jail today, pity this clown didn't get something similar, no player should be struck on the field like that.

grimbergen wrote: »
    The photos are on the Sportsfile website, shocking stuff. The Leeds united fan who struck the goalkeeper got 4 months jail today, pity this clown didn't get something similar, no player should be struck on the field like that.

Agree fully. the "fan" got a 96 week suspension from the county board last night. might as well have got 96 years. a joke of a sentence from a joke of a county board that will fudge every decision they will ever have to make. the player that struck Kelly gets away scot free because the use of photographic evidence would 'set a dangerous precedent'
    Of course conveniently forgetting that there were 2 umpires looking directly upfield and surely saw the incident. These 2 guys had almost exactly the same view as the Sportsfile photographer. Were they even asked??
    Over the years i have often defended the county board, but no wonder their detractors always have a field day.
    And little wonder that our county senior hurling team has demained in the doldrums for so long.
    I'll say it again, A JOKE SHOP.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

DromcolloghervNewcastleWestOct12_large.jpg

Stokes is lucky by the looks of it.

From the Examiner Website (for the benifit of Seán Sherlock)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

So it's Mr Stokes second time attacking a player in the space of 8 years, and the County Board decide to give him a 96 week ban?!! :eek: :eek:

That'll learn him :rolleyes:

Talk about a total cop out by the CB. The man should never be let near a football field ever again. But as usual politics is more important than doing the right thing. I mean we can't have an ex-inter county star's father banned from watching his own son now, can we!

Liam Lenihan and all top officials in the CB should hang their heads in shame.

Disgraceful.

All things aside, good to hear Kelly had a good game, think he could be a useful addition to the county team when he's playing well.

Joe Quaid the new camogie manager. Former camogie manager Paul Finn gone to be a selector with the minors. The minor backroom team clearly collecting an all star cast.

In other news, 40 man Limerick senior panel for 2013:

Shane Dowling,David Breen Adrian Breen Alan Dempsey Cathal King, Kevin Downes (Na Piarshaigh)
    Paudie O Brien, Gavin O Mahoney, Graeme Mulcahy, Robert Egan (Kilmallock)
    Sean Tobin, Mikey Ryan, Seamus Hickey (Murroe Boher) Seanie O Brien, Thomas O Brien, Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    Nicky Quaid, Thomas Quaid (Effin) Mark O Connell, Stephen Walsh (Glenroe) Davy Moloney Richie Macarthy (Blackrock) Shane O Neill, Thomas Ryan (South Liberties) Declan Hannon Wayne Mcnamara (Adare) Tom Condon (Knockaderry) Donal O Grady (Granagh Ballingarry) James Ryan (Garryspillane) Niall Moran (Ahane)
    Aaron Murphy (Hospital Herbertstown) Paul Brown (Bruff) Brian Geary (Monaleen) Conor Ailis (Croom) Niall Maher (Doon) Jack Ahern (Killeedy) Pat Begley (Mungret) Barry O Connell (Kildimo Palliskenry) David Reidy (Dromin Athlacca) Paudie Maher (Kilteely Dromkeen)

Joe Quaid the new camogie manager. Former camogie manager Paul Finn gone to be a selector with the minors. The minor backroom team clearly collecting an all star cast.

In other news, 40 man Limerick senior panel for 2013:

Shane Dowling,David Breen Adrian Breen Alan Dempsey Cathal King, Kevin Downes (Na Piarshaigh)
    Paudie O Brien, Gavin O Mahoney, Graeme Mulcahy, Robert Egan (Kilmallock)
    Sean Tobin, Mikey Ryan, Seamus Hickey (Murroe Boher) Seanie O Brien, Thomas O Brien, Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    Nicky Quaid, Thomas Quaid (Effin) Mark O Connell, Stephen Walsh (Glenroe) Davy Moloney Richie Macarthy (Blackrock) Shane O Neill, Thomas Ryan (South Liberties) Declan Hannon Wayne Mcnamara (Adare) Tom Condon (Knockaderry) Donal O Grady (Granagh Ballingarry) James Ryan (Garryspillane) Niall Moran (Ahane)
    Aaron Murphy (Hospital Herbertstown) Paul Brown (Bruff) Brian Geary (Monaleen) Conor Ailis (Croom) Niall Maher (Doon) Jack Ahern (Killeedy) Pat Begley (Mungret) Barry O Connell (Kildimo Palliskenry) David Reidy (Dromin Athlacca) Paudie Maher (Kilteely Dromkeen)

*Allis and Pallas both spelt wrong :P (sorry for being pedantic)

I read they drew against Clare in a challenge match.....Hannon at centre-back, Quaid came on outfield, Pa Begley was full-back

Trying to think through names of who I expected to be there, in my opinion the obvious omission is James O'Brien, a lot of people were mentioning him as a potential starter and he's not included.

No recall for Eoin Ryan, Paudie O'Dwyer, Brian O'Sullivan, despite winning the county championship, not sure how likely it was anyway.

Great to see Egan involved, and Dempsey, and Adrian Breen getting his club form rewarded. Delighted to see Barry included aswell, though I'm not sure he'll make the cut for the Championship, the experience will be great for him and the likes of Reidy.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    *Allis and Pallas both spelt wrong :P (sorry for being pedantic)

I read they drew against Clare in a challenge match.....Hannon at centre-back, Quaid came on outfield, Pa Begley was full-back

Trying to think through names of who I expected to be there, in my opinion the obvious omission is James O'Brien, a lot of people were mentioning him as a potential starter and he's not included.

No recall for Eoin Ryan, Paudie O'Dwyer, Brian O'Sullivan, despite winning the county championship, not sure how likely it was anyway.

Great to see Egan involved, and Dempsey, and Adrian Breen getting his club form rewarded. Delighted to see Barry included aswell, though I'm not sure he'll make the cut for the Championship, the experience will be great for him and the likes of Reidy.

I copied and pasted so I'm going to pass the buck on the typos!

Surprised at O'Brien omitted, thought he'd be at least in there as a player to develop, I even thought him a genuine contender to start. Thought O'Sullivan would get back in too. O'Dwyer and Ryan a bit old maybe for a recall, are they near 30?

I'm sure there'll be additions and changes as the year goes along so probably no need to rule anyone out of contention just yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement