Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I copied and pasted so I'm going to pass the buck on the typos!

Surprised at O'Brien omitted, thought he'd be at least in there as a player to develop, I even thought him a genuine contender to start. Thought O'Sullivan would get back in too. O'Dwyer and Ryan a bit old maybe for a recall, are they near 30?

I'm sure there'll be additions and changes as the year goes along so probably no need to rule anyone out of contention just yet.

Eoin Ryan isn't that old, I think he's around 25/26. Paudie O'Dwyer, I think is closer to 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

O'Brien the only outstanding omission.

Aaron murphy and begley the big plusses

Eoin ryan is still young enough paidi was u-21 in 2001 would be 32ish now, still has senior pace

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hurlingheart

Eoin Ryan is 26 and Paudie O Dwyer is 29. Paudie O Dwyer is off to Australia soon so no point calling him up. What about Liam Walsh half back for Kilmallock had a great year again this year with them and is a very consistant player.

O'Brien the only outstanding omission.

Aaron murphy and begley the big plusses

Eoin ryan is still young enough paidi was u-21 in 2001 would be 32ish now, still has senior pace

Aaron Murphy was on the panel last year, sure he played half a game in the Championship?

Begley is a good player but McCarthy had a great year, totally deserved his all-star nomination, I've no problem keeping him there.

Interesting to see if Nicky Quaid is good enough to earn a starting spot outfield, I like him as a keeper but Murphy has a massive, massive puckout and is a good shot-stopper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I hope Nicky Quaid will be used outfield, his talents are wasted in goals! The makings of a very useful wing back/midfielder. Also, I'd prefer Limerick's goalkeeper to play their club hurling in goals too.

Happy with the additions made to the squad, I'd like to have seen James O'Brien added but I've a feeling his ommission means we'll see a lot more of the Declan Hannon centre back experiment. Risky to take a player of his ability out of the forwards but I've a feeling he'd still chip in with 2 or 3 points a game even from there, he's well able to pick off scores from long range.

McCarthy had a fine year, as did Walsh and Condon in fact, all 3 did well. But the full back line as a unit still isn't where we need it to be. I would not even consider dropping McCarthy but I would like to see Begley tried in the middle with McCarthy and Condon either side of him.

• Advertisement

jordainius wrote: »
    I hope Nicky Quaid will be used outfield, his talents are wasted in goals! The makings of a very useful wing back/midfielder. Also, I'd prefer Limerick's goalkeeper to play their club hurling in goals too.

Happy with the additions made to the squad, I'd like to have seen James O'Brien added but I've a feeling his ommission means we'll see a lot more of the Declan Hannon centre back experiment. Risky to take a player of his ability out of the forwards but I've a feeling he'd still chip in with 2 or 3 points a game even from there, he's well able to pick off scores from long range.

McCarthy had a fine year, as did Walsh and Condon in fact, all 3 did well. But the full back line as a unit still isn't where we need it to be. I would not even consider dropping McCarthy but I would like to see Begley tried in the middle with McCarthy and Condon either side of him.

I'd play Quaid wing-back...possibly even centre-back. I'm actually really excited about next year, think we have lots of good options.

One thing about Hannon at centre-back is our half-forward line doesn't win enough clean ball. Okay, Hannon wasn't brilliant himself but he was carrying an injury and he showed in the county final what he can do at centre-forward. 11 points wasn't it? 5 or 6 from play..... don't think we can afford to lose that kind of ability from a forward line that has a few problems.

I agree with the thing about them not being a great unit yet. But I'm not sure Begley is the answer tbh, not sure he's ready for intercounty hurling yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hickey moved to corner-back (especially if Hannon does get played at centre-back)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

jordainius wrote: »

I really hope hannon isn't used at 6. He's always been best in the forwards I think and we are robbing ourselves of a very good inter county centre forward if we move him back.

Your full back line is interesting, Condon would be my first name on the teamsheet every game and McCarthy has nailed down a position. The other corner may still be up for grabs, or full if richie is shifted, but i think he should stay put. Would like to see someone with a bit of speed in there like coen did for Galway this year.

Garrett Noonan has just levelled the football final with the last kick of the game.

0-7 all, going to extra time.

Sounds exciting, but not lots of quality. Jamie Lee had put NCW in front a minute before.

Drom/Broadford win it by 2 in extra time, 2 late points from Reidy wins it for them.

Hannon at CF not CB for me.

• Advertisement

Paudie O'Brien scored 3 early points for Kilmallock, put them 0-3 to 0-1 up, but it's all level now, 2 Pa Bourke points levelled things up.

Thurles Sarsfields have a nice picking of intercounty players- Lar, Pa Bourke, Michael Cahill, Padraid Maher.....are they all all-stars?

Pa Bourke goal from a 21-yard free. 1-4 to 0-4 in favour of Thurles, Bourke's got 1-3.

Half-time

Thurles Sarsfields 1-7 Kilmallock 0-5

Not a great half from Kilmallock, had 3 points inside 2 minutes, only 2 for the rest of the half. They seem to be giving away easy frees and at the end of the half, they went for goal when there was a point on. Also seem to be losing their discipline a bit, 4 yellow cards... Not one of their forwards has scored from play, Padraic Maher seems to be dominating.

They'll need a big improvement in the 2nd half.

Excellent start to the second half for Kilmallock, about 10 minutes gone, only a point in it, 1-8 to 0-10. Playing a lot better though, and Eoin Ryan missed a couple of frees so they could be in front.

Lar goal! Big big moment....2-9 to 0-10 now. :(

Eoin Ryan tapped a 21-yard-free over the bar, maybe they needed a goal. We'll see...

Getting intense now, Thurles leading by 1, 5 minutes left.

Lar hooked to save a certain goal, 2 points in it.

2 minutes injury time and Paudie O'Dwyer just missed a goal chance.

Shít, Thurles win by 3.

For the first 15 mins and the second half there was a great game of hurling.

WTF went on in between i dont know. The ref gave some shocking frees against Kilmallock.

Considine was wrong to go on the pitch and the indiscipline probably cost kilmallock dearly. In fairness though a couple of the frees given against and not awarder to graeme mul were terrible.

Paidi o Brien banged over 3 great scores then drifted out and missed a chance to level up at the end.

Egan is a trojan, on this form he starts for limerick, he's not the fastest but he was dominant today.

Maher was the MOTM and was the difference between the sides

Eoin ryan's missed free and jake muls missed chance were costly, really needed to drive home the advantage at that point.

• Advertisement

Oh and this thing of ducking into challenges and getting opponents booked for high challenges is ridiculous, refs need to wise up to it. general point not related to todays match.

In todays game did the pa bourke foul the ball for the 21 yard free he seemed to take a few steps with the ball on the hurl before the strike? Was a good bit away from that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Ballybrown v Ballinhassig tomorrow at 2 00pm in Pairc Ui Rinn,Cork in Munster Intermediate hurling quarter final. This has the makings of a good game depending on the amount of celebrations Ballybrown have had since last Saturday's Limerick county triumph:D

I heard St Kierans beat Monagea by a point in yesterday's Junior hurling county final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Oh and this thing of ducking into challenges and getting opponents booked for high challenges is ridiculous, refs need to wise up to it. general point not related to todays match.

In todays game did the pa bourke foul the ball for the 21 yard free he seemed to take a few steps with the ball on the hurl before the strike? Was a good bit away from that though.

The ref was pernickity and slowed the game up considerably. He gave a lot of frees to Thurles in the first half but seemed to level it out a bit in the second. The difference was Thurles punished Kilmallock severly from the frees , Kilmallock missed quite a few frees and had a huge number of wides overall.They never really looked like scoring a goal atall.

Shane O'Donnell sounded like he had a good game yesterday. Scored 3 points from play, and sounded like the most dangerous Kilmallock forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

Thurles Sarsfields could go all the way in munster this year, i might go to paddy powers and put a few bob on Ballyhale and Thurles final
    or does munster meet leinster this year, as leinster played connacht last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Treble20 wrote: »
    Ballybrown v Ballinhassig tomorrow at 2 00pm in Pairc Ui Rinn,Cork in Munster Intermediate hurling quarter final. This has the makings of a good game depending on the amount of celebrations Ballybrown have had since last Saturday's Limerick county triumph:D

I heard St Kierans beat Monagea by a point in yesterday's Junior hurling county final.

A Big win for Kierans as it is predominantly a football club.there best known players would be ex/currrent inter county fotballers - Johnny Mccarthy, Darragh Treacy,Paudie Mccarthy, Timmy Carroll.they even went down to junior b in the early part of the last decade.

Doubtful they would worry the top sides at intermediate but they should be aiming to survive for at least a year or two in the grade.there are 3/4 teams that are seriously going to struggle in the years ahead and the standard at the bottom is very low.

Delighted for Johnny Mccarthy more than anyone.overlooked at least twice for the irish international rules squad and having lost a lot of munster finals and a county final in 2005 as well as a fitzgibbon cup final he has had his fair share of heartbreak so hes come out on the right side of a final at long last.would be some option for the limerick senior hurlers.genuine fella too.met him out several times and there was hardly a word out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Thurles Sarsfields could go all the way in munster this year, i might go to paddy powers and put a few bob on Ballyhale and Thurles final
    or does munster meet leinster this year, as leinster played connacht last year.

Think you missed the boat with Thurles .... Now evens with two games still to play :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

shockframe wrote: »
    A Big win for Kierans as it is predominantly a football club.there best known players would be ex/currrent inter county fotballers - Johnny Mccarthy, Darragh Treacy,Paudie Mccarthy, Timmy Carroll.they even went down to junior b in the early part of the last decade.

Doubtful they would worry the top sides at intermediate but they should be aiming to survive for at least a year or two in the grade.there are 3/4 teams that are seriously going to struggle in the years ahead and the standard at the bottom is very low.

Delighted for Johnny Mccarthy more than anyone.overlooked at least twice for the irish international rules squad and having lost a lot of munster finals and a county final in 2005 as well as a fitzgibbon cup final he has had his fair share of heartbreak so hes come out on the right side of a final at long last.would be some option for the limerick senior hurlers.genuine fella too.met him out several times and there was hardly a word out of him.
    I know the young goalie for St Kierans through work,the lad only let in 1 goal through the County campaign,delighted for the young lad winning a County medal. Ballybrown v Ballinhassig was a draw AET today,Ballybrown 0-20 Ballinhassig 1-17,replay at a Limerick venue next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

For the first 15 mins and the second half there was a great game of hurling.

WTF went on in between i dont know. The ref gave some shocking frees against Kilmallock.

Considine was wrong to go on the pitch and the indiscipline probably cost kilmallock dearly. In fairness though a couple of the frees given against and not awarder to graeme mul were terrible.

Paidi o Brien banged over 3 great scores then drifted out and missed a chance to level up at the end.

Egan is a trojan, on this form he starts for limerick, he's not the fastest but he was dominant today.

Maher was the MOTM and was the difference between the sides

Eoin ryan's missed free and jake muls missed chance were costly, really needed to drive home the advantage at that point.

Maher was the difference alright.

What age is Egan? Would have thought o'brien ahead of Egan for a Limerick start. The pair of them didn't look like an intercounty midfield pairing in that match though.

• Advertisement

Maher was the difference alright.

What age is Egan? Would have thought o'brien ahead of Egan for a Limerick start. The pair of them didn't look like an intercounty midfield pairing in that match though.

They hit 5 points between em and were the only kilmallock line to dominate the opposition, thurles won most of the other battles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement