Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hurlingheart

Egan is 20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Anyone agree that home advantage was not really an advantage to Kilmallock at all. would have been far better off playing in Gaelic Grounds. They seemed to be bottled up and dispossed quite easily. a bigger pitch would definately have suited the likes of Graeme Mulcahy while Padraig Maher for Thurles was completely dominent,a fantastic player but his job was made much easier on the Kilmallock pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

washman3 wrote: »
    Anyone agree that home advantage was not really an advantage to Kilmallock at all. would have been far better off playing in Gaelic Grounds. They seemed to be bottled up and dispossed quite easily. a bigger pitch would definately have suited the likes of Graeme Mulcahy while Padraig Maher for Thurles was completely dominent,a fantastic player but his job was made much easier on the Kilmallock pitch.

Ah , they missed too many scorable frees and chances. Huge home crowd surely an advantage to them , better team won and would probably have won in Limerick too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Egan is 20

No way, presumed he was older. He's going to be something else in the next few years, he is a horse of a man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hurlingheart

No way, presumed he was older. He's going to be something else in the next few years, he is a horse of a man!

Ya he wont be 21 this next July. He has a lot of potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Over 2 months without a post...not good lads, not good at all :p

Anyway, I'll kick us off again with a tribute to the legend that is Brian Geary, who announced his retirement from intercounty hurling.

He was one of the best and most consistent centre-backs of his generation, a fine hurler, dominant in the air, strong in the tackle and well able to distribute the ball. We've had plenty of good half-back lines over the years, but he has tended to be the lynchpin in all of them. We've tried Hickey and DOG at centre-back in recent years and while they've done good jobs, I don't think either will ever reach the levels of Geary at his best in that position.

An awful pity that he never won a Munster title...but that goes for a lot of our talented hurlers in the past 10-15 years. He did win 2 All-Irelands at U-21 level, and he won an U-21 Munster football title too. He was a talented footballer aswell, a dual player in his youth, and was a loss to the football team after that.

He was on the decline for the past couple of years, severely lost pace and I think it was the right decision to call time on it now. Think it was a bit unfair of Allen to ask him to play centre-forward last year, he obviously wasn't used to it, and it never really worked...even if, in theory, it was an okay idea. But we shouldn't let that tarnish the memory of one of the best hurlers we've had in recent years, I'd rank him on a similar level to Reale, Moran & Foley, all excellent players who did their county proud for many years.

(I hope we can end this thing of our players not winning silverware at intercounty level...and division 2 of the league doesn't count...it would be a terrible shame for Hannon, Dowling, Downes, Mulcahy, O'Mahony, Hickey, etc. to go without trophies...they're young and in-form now...now is the time to win stuff. Munster this year!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Fireball07 wrote: »

Anyway, I'll kick us off again with a tribute to the legend that is Brian Geary, who announced his retirement from intercounty hurling.

He was one of the best and most consistent centre-backs of his generation, a fine hurler, dominant in the air, strong in the tackle and well able to distribute the ball. We've had plenty of good half-back lines over the years, but he has tended to be the lynchpin in all of them. We've tried Hickey and DOG at centre-back in recent years and while they've done good jobs, I don't think either will ever reach the levels of Geary at his best in that position.

An awful pity that he never won a Munster title...but that goes for a lot of our talented hurlers in the past 10-15 years. He did win 2 All-Irelands at U-21 level, and he won an U-21 Munster football title too. He was a talented footballer aswell, a dual player in his youth, and was a loss to the football team after that.

He was on the decline for the past couple of years, severely lost pace and I think it was the right decision to call time on it now. Think it was a bit unfair of Allen to ask him to play centre-forward last year, he obviously wasn't used to it, and it never really worked...even if, in theory, it was an okay idea. But we shouldn't let that tarnish the memory of one of the best hurlers we've had in recent years, I'd rank him on a similar level to Reale, Moran & Foley, all excellent players who did their county proud for many years.

(I hope we can end this thing of our players not winning silverware at intercounty level...and division 2 of the league doesn't count...it would be a terrible shame for Hannon, Dowling, Downes, Mulcahy, O'Mahony, Hickey, etc. to go without trophies...they're young and in-form now...now is the time to win stuff. Munster this year!)

A fine player, & a great servant to both hurling and football down the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Shows how far Limerick have fallen in recent times. A generation hasn't seen us even win a MSHC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I'd rank him on a similar level to Reale, Moran & Foley

Good player but I wouldn't put him in Foley's class.

liammur wrote: »
    Shows how far Limerick have fallen in recent times. A generation hasn't seen us even win a MSHC.

Well yeah, our U-21 3-in-a-row amounted to only a single All-Ireland final appearance. There have been strong Cork, Waterford, Tipp teams in that time alright but you'd think we'd have won at least one.

However, I think the current group of players are among the most talented we've seen in a long time. Hope they can deliver.

Good player but I wouldn't put him in Foley's class.

I don't know, Foley was class, everything he did was passion-filled but Geary was a rock at centre-back. Utterly dominant in the air, rarely let a man past, delivered the ball well to the forwards and was well able to score from distance. I don't think there's many I'd rate above him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

This might be of interest to some of the Limerick folk here: http://www.limerickgaa.ie/taggedNews/209333/L_m_u_l_l_d_o_t_L :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And a little bit about the football for ye:
    The Limerick Senior Football team played their first match of 2013 when they played the University of Limerick in St. Patrick's field today 5/01/2013.
    The final score was Limerick 1.11 to U.L 1.09. Limerick first starting fifteen for 2013 was as follows:
    Brendan Donnelly (Na Piarsaigh), Damien Quaid (St. Mary's/Sean Finns), Cian Coady (Na Piarsaigh), Lorcan O'Dwyer (Pallasgreen), Steven Lavin (Adare), John Riordan (Fr.Casey's), Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen), Tom Lee (Ballylanders), Paul Kinnerk (Monaleen), James O'Meara (Ballysteen), Darragh Treacy (St. Kieran's), Danny Neville (Ballysteen), Derry O'Connor (Fr.Casey's), Ger Collins (Monaleen), Ian Ryan (St.Senan's).
    Subs were Mike O'Keeffe (NCW), Mike Sheehan (Fr.Casey's), Sean Sheahan (St.Mary's/Sean Finns) and Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey's).

Brian Kelly Limerick Football Board PRO

http://www.facebook.com/limerick.gaa.3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

looder wrote: »
    This might be of interest to some of the Limerick folk here: http://www.limerickgaa.ie/taggedNews/209333/L_m_u_l_l_d_o_t_L :)

I guess the interesting one there is Begley at CB.

looder wrote: »
    This might be of interest to some of the Limerick folk here:

Yeah, interesting alright...good to see the likes of Barry, Pa Begley, Robbie Egan, Adrian Breen get some gametime.

Do people think the younger Breen is good enough for intercounty hurling? I hope he gets a chance in the league anyway.
    And a little bit about the football for ye:

This is probably even more interesting tbh. Donnelly in goal, Cian Coady at full-back, Danny Neville at wing-forward...in a fairly strong team, filled with experienced players.

Have we lost anyone to retirement does anyone know? Or to emigration or anything?

I know there have been a lot of calls for Derry O'Connor to start this year, but I wonder will Danny Frewen get a call for the senior team, one of the best minors in Limerick a couple of years ago. And Jamesie Kelly's form seems to be pretty good, scored something like 3-3 in the U-21 final a few weeks ago?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Do people think the younger Breen is good enough for intercounty hurling? I hope he gets a chance in the league anyway.

This is probably even more interesting tbh. Donnelly in goal, Cian Coady at full-back, Danny Neville at wing-forward...in a fairly strong team, filled with experienced players.

Three club-mates!

Brendan Donnelly is a quality goalkeeper. I can't think of a weakness in him. Which is a pain in the neck for me at club level. >_<

Coady is class as well. Very unlucky with his ankle injury at the start of last season.

Two proper athletes as well as good footballers.

Three club-mates!

Brendan Donnelly is a quality goalkeeper. I can't think of a weakness in him. Which is a pain in the neck for me at club level. >_<

Coady is class as well. Very unlucky with his ankle injury at the start of last season.

Two proper athletes as well as good footballers.

Well it's nice to have another option in goal. Scanlon is a good shot stopper but I worry about his kickouts sometimes. They can be great, but sometimes he loses concentration or something.

Don't know much about Coady tbh, but we were lacking a full-back at the start of last season. Again, it's good to have more options.

We could have a decent panel this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Yeah, interesting alright...good to see the likes of Barry, Pa Begley, Robbie Egan, Adrian Breen get some gametime.

The 3 of them very interesting alright. Is Begley ready to break into the back 6 anywhere? Robbie Egan is a giant of a man, maybe a bit early for him yet but he's a quality player and could a lynchpin in midfield in the Mick Fennelly mould for a few years. Breen was wrongly overlooked by the 21s management last year and his displays since have shown up how wrong they were. Given his improvement in the last few years he could well be an intercounty player in a year or two, he must be a good bit behind in the pecking order though, I reckon there are about 8 players out in front for the forward positions.

From the club's latest Facebook update:
    The Limerick Senior Football panel for the upcoming McGrath Cup and NFL games is as follows;
    1. Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey's),
    2. Seanie Buckley (Dromcollegher-Broadford),
    3. Cian Coady (Na Piarsaigh),
    4. Ger Collins (Monaleen),
    5. John Cooke (Bruff),
    6. Ian Corbett (Newcastle West),
    7. Brendan Donnelly (Na Piarsaigh),
    8. John Galvin (Croom),
    9. Stephen Kelly (Newcastle West),
    10. Paul Kinnerk (Monaleen),
    11. Andy Lane (St.Senan's),
    12. Stephen Lavin (Adare),
    13. Thomas Lee (Ballylanders),
    14. Stephen Lucey (Croom),
    15. Johnny McCarthy (St.Kieran's),
    16. Danny Neville (Ballysteen),
    17. Bobby O'Brien (Bruff),
    18. Seamus O'Carroll (Cappagh/Kilcornan),
    19. Derry O'Connor (Fr.Casey's),
    20. Eoghan O'Connor (St.Mary's/Sean Finns),
    21. Jim O'Donovan (St.Kieran's),
    22. Lorcan O'Dwyer (Pallasgreen),
    23. Mike O'Keeffe (Newcastle West),
    24. James O'Meara (Ballysteen),
    25. Mark O'Riordan (Croom),
    26. Donal O'Sullivan (Monaleen),
    27. Damian Quaid (St.Mary's/Sean Finns),
    28. Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen),
    29. John Riordan (Fr.Casey's),
    30. Ian Ryan (St.Senan's),
    31. Brian Scanlan (Gerald Griffin's),
    32. Michael Sheehan (Fr. Casey's),
    33. Sean Sheehan (St.Mary's/ Sean Finns),
    34. Darragh Treacy (St.Kieran's).

2 new PROs, yeah?

Certainly seem a lot more efficient this year anyway, we are actually able to find news about panels and matches, which I found difficult at times last year.

Doesn't seem to be any major absentees from last year, no retirees as far as I can see but Eoin Barry and Graham O'Connell aren't there. The younger Kelly is not included. Seanie Buckley is the only Drom/Broadford player too. Outside of that, good to see Galvin back, some people feared he'd never play intercounty football again. Lavin and Tom Lee are back in too.

I do think having the likes of Ian Corbett, James O'Meara, Eoghan O'Connor and Derry O'Connor helped us in the later games last year...young, exciting players with lots of energy and Danny Neville is in a similar vein, I think, really talented footballer. I would say we have more strength in depth than we've had in most years tbqh, still need to keep key players fit.

Not sure what starting 15, I'd have from that (as of now), any of ye like to have a go?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've seen more about Limerick GAA on their facebook page in the last week than I did in most of 2012 - some great updates already. Nice to see counties doing work to promote themselves

Big piece in the Examiner today about a Garda probe into €50,000 being unaccounted for in a club in Limerick http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/progress-in-gaa-cash-probe-218982.html

• Advertisement

I've seen more about Limerick GAA on their facebook page in the last week than I did in most of 2012 - some great updates already. Nice to see counties doing work to promote themselves

I know, I think it's great!

Eamonn Phelan certainly seems to have started well, I really hope he keeps it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Eamoon Phelan will do a great job keeping people updated. The work everyone involved with St.Pats see's on their facebook is now being seen on the Limerick page, he is a top man.

U-21 footballers lost to Clare in a challenge game.

As for the seniors, the McGrath cup team to play Clare was named. From the facebook page:
    1 Brian Scanlon, (Gerald Griffin’s),
    2 Cian Coady (Na Piarsaigh),
    3 Johnny McCarthy (St. Kieran’s),
    4 Mark O’Riordan (Croom),
    5 Stephen Lavin (Adare),
    6 Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey’s),
    7 Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen),
    8 Thomas Lee (Ballylanders),
    9 Bobby O’Brien (Bruff),
    10 John Riordan (Fr. Casey’s),
    11 James O’Meara (Ballysteen),
    12 Seamus O’Carroll (Cappagh/Kilcornan),
    13 Eoghan O’Connor (St. Mary’s/Sean Finns),
    14 Ger Collins (Monaleen),
    15 Ian Ryan (St. Senan’s).

Manager Maurice Horan
    Selector: Joe Lee
    Coach: Mickey McGeehin
    Conditioning Coach: Andy O'Neill
    Doctor: Mick Lucey
    Physio: Jamie Bowman
    Asst Physio: Gordon Cagney

Obviously, we're still at an experimental stage of the season, but it's still a strong enough team. I'd expect John Riordan to act as an extra defender really, he's got so much energy, keeps running and running until he falls. Defence looks strong, half-backs should help with counter-attacks too.

Not sure if O'Meara is a long term centre-forward, he played most of his football at wing-back last year although I know he has played at full-forward, so we'll see. Lots of pace in attack too.

You'd expect Clare to win tomorrow, the impetus that Micko will give them should give them the edge, but I expect us to do give them a game. It's on in Foynes afaik.

Seamus O'Carroll got a late goal to send the McGrath Cup match to extra-time.

And Limerick win after extra-time, Derry O'Connor scored a couple.

Limerick 2-16 Clare 2-13

Great comeback! Kerry in the semi-final now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Showed the great fighting spirit that is the hallmark of the football squad, in the game in Foynes today. After early dominance that saw Limerick race into a 5pts to 2 lead Clare struck for a very soft goal and added a few good points to lead at half time having played against the wind.
    Scanlons nightmare continued early in the second half when he fumbled an easy ball and presented a Banner forward with a tap in to put Clare 8pts ahead. The introduction of Dara Treacy at midfield, the tenacious O'Dwyer at corner back and Derry O'Connor in the forwards was the springboard of the revival. Late goals from Ryan and Carroll took the game to E.T. where Limerick seemed to easily have the legs on Clare.
    Riordan,Lavin and Ryan were immense as were the subs introduced. but a special mention must go to Johnny Mac. just what can we say about this guy.! has he ever played a bad game in a Limerick shirt.
    Keeper Scanlon will want to forget this one asap.
    Away to the Kingdom next Sunday in the semi-final.

Nice review washman, good to hear from someone who went to the match!

Nice to hear that they're fighting even at this stage of the season, I was delighted to hear that they had got the goal. And Johnny McCarthy is some player, one of the finest defenders in the game imo. He's been around for ages but is still reasonably young considering.

What do you think are Derry O'Connor's chances of securing a starting position for big matches? I really think we have more depth in the squad than ever before...the likes of O'Connor, Sheahan, Cooke, Treacy, O'Dwyer, O'Brien, Lee, Corbett, O'Meara, etc....I think all are well able to make an impact if brought on.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Draydis80

Does anyone know when the decision is being made regarding divisional teams in the senior hurling championship, would anyone be that upset if they removed? I think the divisional setup benefited Effin and Blackrock enormously but there doesn't seem to be much love for the divisional teams at present which is a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Draydis80 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the decision is being made regarding divisional teams in the senior hurling championship, would anyone be that upset if they removed? I think the divisional setup benefited Effin and Blackrock enormously but there doesn't seem to be much love for the divisional teams at present which is a pity.

It needs to go, Emmets are way out ahead of the other 3 teams and they don't treat the championship with the respect it deserves (the semi final replay debacle of '11 and the Adare game last year was an utter disgrace). Kick them out, let Granagh-Ballingarry remain, at least they'll take it seriously.

Regarding the new PRO and the Limerick GAA website, it appears to me that they are now just copying material from the milford gaa site.

For example, Milford have had information pages on the clubs like this for years, yet in recent days the limerick site has added very similar pages to its site.

The Milford site has put the Limerick site to shame for the last 6 years, particularly with this page which is updated weekly and covers all adult (and minor) fixtures and results. The man behind that site has done amazing work over the years, it's a shame to see material being lifted directly from that site by the county board (without credit being given...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Emmets didnt gat a fair crack last year. Junior games on friday and then a county QF on sunday. (they would have won that an all only for tiring in the last 20). So lets making a semi final cant be considered not taking it seriously. That said i have no knowledge of the 2 games you mention or have a strong opinion as to wether they should stay or go.

Good for the county manager if he wants to look at good junior players against senior clubs but prob negative for the county championship overall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement